My 02 TL-S Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My 02 TL-S Build

I started with a "new car and problems" thread you can read HERE.

But the basics are,

I started with this:

bad water pump, tore apart to find this:

Must have happened when VTEC kicked in... couldnt handle the power...

So after a long day, I replaced the water pump, timing kit, and the pulley.

Then a week later, started over heating again and found this:

So I bought this:

After fixing that I kept putting off the 02 sensor that was bad because i was working 70+ hours a week and didnt have time to mess with it.

UPDATE 12/27/15

Christmas came and I got a new Kenwood Double Din:

And some new door speakers:

I have a pair of JVC 12s for the trunk but need to pick up a amp and wiring kit and since I listen to Rock and country i am not in much of a hurry. The Stock 8inch sub works great for now.

UPDATE 2/3/16

Time to get my license renewed and new tags for the car. Problem is I moved last year and that results in me having to have my car smog checked now. So I took a peak under the car to see how easy it will be to change this pesky o2 sensor and this is what I find...

The idiot who owned the car before me must have had a bad cat, instead of replacing it correctly he cut it out and put a flex pipe in, and in doing so took out the bung for the o2 sensor.

With it being cold out finally, I also have been hearing an increase in exhaust leakage. So I get my mag tester out and find 2 cracks, one in each manifold.

So after lots of pricing. I pulled the trigger on these three:

Headers: Manzo USA TP-048 Stainless Steel Headers + Downpipe
Cat: Walker Direct Fit
Exhaust kit: Tanabe T70078 Medallion Touring

Those should be here Friday so looks like I am having fun this weekend.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:01 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks fun!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Wow what a shitty 'flex pipe'

Damn crappy previous owners... good luck with build OP!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Wow what a shitty 'flex pipe'

Damn crappy previous owners... good luck with build OP!
Yeah I wouldn't even call it a flex pipe haha but because it's ribbed all the way down including where the clamps are, it won't seal so it ticks. Just not enough for me to hear inside I guess.

A lot more to come. Picking up a 04 AT5 next weekend to put in the garage for when the tranny decides to give up. I assume it was replaced atleast once before with over 240k miles. But it doesn't show any signs of failure yet.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Cruisin'

Well sadly all of you who are sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for the Exhaust writeup... will have to wait a bit longer...(or those who accidentally came to this thread looking for a BA lowered, boosted, and stanced TL)

Amazon screwed up and looks like I wont be getting a few key pieces till Monday, which means no install till next weekend.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I have the Manzo headers and they are decent quality with an exceptional price.
The following users liked this post:
Ian Kolmer (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by coopcoop30
I have the Manzo headers and they are decent quality with an exceptional price.
Glad to hear it. Honestly I only got headers because they were cheaper then 2 new manifolds and a j pipe... is what I told the ole lady... shhh dont tell her.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

For anyone keeping up.
I have everything needed to install tomorrow. Even though it's supposed to be -15 or so with windchill. A garage and a torpedo heater will be put to the test.

So I have everything laid out and ready to go, does anyone know what size all the bolts are? I'm being lazy and if anyone knows that will save me from making trips to the toolbox.

Header bolts
Cat flang
And muffler flang
All would be appreciated if anyone knows.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ian Kolmer
For anyone keeping up.
I have everything needed to install tomorrow. Even though it's supposed to be -15 or so with windchill. A garage and a torpedo heater will be put to the test.

So I have everything laid out and ready to go, does anyone know what size all the bolts are? I'm being lazy and if anyone knows that will save me from making trips to the toolbox.

Header bolts
Cat flang
And muffler flang
All would be appreciated if anyone knows.
If its like all other hondas/acuras you will need 10mm,12mm,14mm or 17mm. I am pretty sure you will not be needing 17mm though
The following users liked this post:
Ian Kolmer (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks. Took 6 hours today but I got it all installed.
The plan was to make a writeup of sorts but it was 7 degrees - -19 with wind chill today. I was in the garage but all I had was a torpedo heater.
I will get some pictures later when I go under next weekend to make sure everything is still tight.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Hows it feel/sound?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Me2151
Hows it feel/sound?
Starts and runs a lot better! Might help that I have 2 O2 sensors now, and no holes. After removing the rear header I realized the weld on one of the primaries was cracked so bad it was about a 1/10th inch wide.
Add in the new exhaust and I feel a lot of pep I didnt have before.
I will let you know more when I drive it more tomorrow. I need a good half hour drive to see how much it changed. Some highway time will too.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

Well the dreaded P1457 CEL came on two weeks ago. I replaced both the evaporated canister and the purge solenoid attached to the evap. With those I replaced 1 hose that had nicks in it as well. Cleared the codes and two days later CEL is back on and it's the same code.

Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

Wow idk how it has been so long. I got a new job that included a company vehicle and during the summer I ride my Dyna. So the TL has sat for over a year without even being started. Time to get it running again for those rainy days.

First issue: battery was dead. Jumped it and had it run for about 10min. Turned off and with key on, nothing. No lights at all. Time to troubleshoot that.

Second issue: idk how or when it happened but the rubber tcs mounting between the throttle body and the tcs valve in the intake has broken in half. Trying to source one has been hard so far. Any suggestions?

Third issue: after starting the car after it sitting for so long there is a descent ticking coming from the power steering pump and if I take the cap off the resiviour it's gurgling out and almost looks like milky oil.

last issue: not really an issue but I want to do a deep clean after sitting for so long. Any suggestions? Seafoam? Injector cleaner?

thanks all for any and all advice in advance.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
prolly just needs a battery.

i have a rubber tcs mounting piece i could ship to you. i am doing a 6 speed swap in my tl and dont need it any more.

could just need a flush on the power steering pump.

i would a fresh oil change for sure and the injector cleaner isnt a bad idea. as far as seafoam idk ive never done that so no info there

but lastly show us the car lol
Old 01-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MidoriTL
prolly just needs a battery.

i have a rubber tcs mounting piece i could ship to you. i am doing a 6 speed swap in my tl and dont need it any more.

could just need a flush on the power steering pump.

i would a fresh oil change for sure and the injector cleaner isnt a bad idea. as far as seafoam idk ive never done that so no info there

but lastly show us the car lol
thats my thought. Im getting one today.

dude if you could send me that it would be awesome. I will of ourse pay for shipping.

going to flush the ps and hope that works.

oil change is probably a good idea too. Had one done a week before it sat but couldn' hurt.

the pics are at the beginning of this post haha I can try to get some updated ones but not much has changed physically.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 PM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian Kolmer
thats my thought. Im getting one today.

dude if you could send me that it would be awesome. I will of ourse pay for shipping.

going to flush the ps and hope that works.

oil change is probably a good idea too. Had one done a week before it sat but couldn' hurt.

the pics are at the beginning of this post haha I can try to get some updated ones but not much has changed physically.
message me you info man and I can get it shipped out soon