Mods for my 2000 TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods for my 2000 TL

Im looking for some simple cheap mods to start doing on my tl. I heard about the short ram intake and mid muffler delete. Just wondering are these cheap and where would i buy the short ram intake?? Never really worked on a car and added mods. Need some good useful help. Anything helps. I Know it is an auto but i would like to make it a little faster and look way nicer. I have it bone dry stock other than the HID light, led interior/exterior lights and the sound system setup. I dont know where to buy the grounding kit, black housing headlights, oem spoiler. In need of a lot of help!!!

THANKS!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Hey Mayorgae!!

when modding a car; there has to be an end point or goal.
there is no point in throwing random parts on the car if you dont know what they do.

first, maintenance ALWAYS over mods.
is your car in TIPTOP condition?

2nd; can you do both power mods and visual up grades at the same time!?
or is your budget holding you back?

Pick a route; go fast mods or appearance.
butt; wait!

before we choose a route; we have to understand that your transmission is holding you back, BIG TIME!

it will fail, as its not very stout. so be sure to save about $2k
its an archaic 5 automatic transmission.

okay, on with the power mods!
this car is super hard to make power with!!!
you'll end up spending over $3K just to make the car marginally quicker.

air intakes dont really provide power; just sound.
a mid-muffler delete is replacing the mid-muffler with a straight pipe. an exhaust shop can do that for you. it'll be about $60 bucks.
that will net you some sound! a little mean growl.
The following users liked this post:
mayorgae (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:24 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
Hey Mayorgae!!

when modding a car; there has to be an end point or goal.
there is no point in throwing random parts on the car if you dont know what they do.

first, maintenance ALWAYS over mods.
is your car in TIPTOP condition?

2nd; can you do both power mods and visual up grades at the same time!?
or is your budget holding you back?

Pick a route; go fast mods or appearance.
butt; wait!

before we choose a route; we have to understand that your transmission is holding you back, BIG TIME!

it will fail, as its not very stout. so be sure to save about $2k
its an archaic 5 automatic transmission.

okay, on with the power mods!
this car is super hard to make power with!!!
you'll end up spending over $3K just to make the car marginally quicker.

air intakes dont really provide power; just sound.
a mid-muffler delete is replacing the mid-muffler with a straight pipe. an exhaust shop can do that for you. it'll be about $60 bucks.
that will net you some sound! a little mean growl.

I see what you mean about the suspension! I heard these got recalled but we switched out the transmission already!!! I would like to do both upgrades at the same time!My car is in great shape. We just did a fill tune up, air filter, oil filter, oil change, transmission flush. Just need to change out the spark plugs or coils i forgot which they have. But yes in tip top shape!!! I would like to gradually make improvements on both performance and looks.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, as Justnspace previously advised......and as ya have been apparently doing so far.

The recommended PM such as the T-belt servicing and knowing that the tranny is in good working order are essential before spending any money on modding.

Check out the things which others have done with modding their TL's. Pick out your favorite appearance mods and decide how much ya can afford to spend on this stuff. Same thing with the basic performance bolt on's......know your budget and wisely go from there. It's best sticking to simple "DIY" stuff, otherwise labor costs will eat into your funds and rob ya of good money.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 AM
6th Gear

sweet
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Yeah, as Justnspace previously advised......and as ya have been apparently doing so far.

The recommended PM such as the T-belt servicing and knowing that the tranny is in good working order are essential before spending any money on modding.

Check out the things which others have done with modding their TL's. Pick out your favorite appearance mods and decide how much ya can afford to spend on this stuff. Same thing with the basic performance bolt on's......know your budget and wisely go from there. It's best sticking to simple "DIY" stuff, otherwise labor costs will eat into your funds and rob ya of good money.
Iknow which mods I want and I know I can afford them but I honestly dont know where to buy them! But thanks for the info on fully check the status of the car. I will have someone so that. So if you guys know were I can buy for example an oem spoiler, some lip kit etc. it would help me out much. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Many used bargains can be found on the site's "Black Market" sub-forum.

Try checking for all sorts of performance and appearance items at great prices. Do it now !!!

New aftermarket parts can be purchased at discounts through our sponsor vendors.

You can also check places like E-bay, Craig's list, or any local specialty speed shop.
or.......you can just try "Googling" the specific part you're looking for. Try it today.
The following users liked this post:
mayorgae (04-22-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 PM
3rd Gear

I want to fix up my 03 TL-S but I want the performance better before I add the look and was wondering if the aftermarket transmission in the link below is a good investment.
http://autoplicity.com/products/2804...nsmission.aspx
Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome TheKidK !!!
If ya want the best overall tranny performance from your TL......get yourself a CLS 6 speed stick.
For the next best option, consider an "AV6" for durability.

PS: While unsure, that BM tranny ya were looking at probably won't even fit our TL's.
Check the application and it appears that it's for the older RWD "GM" products of yesteryear.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear

Welcome TheKidK !!!
If ya want the best overall tranny performance from your TL......get yourself a CLS 6 speed stick.
For the next best option, consider an "AV6" for durability.

PS: While unsure, that BM tranny ya were looking at probably won't even fit our TL's.
Check the application and it appears that it's for the older RWD "GM" products of yesteryear.
Thanks but I like underdog cars...not a Lemon though. I don't have a problem but I want to get rid of the lingering worry. I am at 149,500 miles now so you may get why I am concerned.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Check with Acura to see if the tranny was ever replaced under recall. With 150k on the dial, it's possible that the tranny may have been previously replaced or rebuilt ?

For now, keeping the fluid clean by performing the suggested drain & fill method using Honda's DW1 fluid will help keep the present tranny in working order. Don't cross the bridge until ya get to it, but read up on the "AV6" as a replacement donor tranny if yours craps out at some point.

In the meantime, do all the basic PM and cleaning. Research the site for some popular performance and appearance mods......then make a wish list !!! Don't forget to check the site's "Black Market" for good deals on used parts and also new aftermarket vendor supplied parts.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 PM
3rd Gear

Check with Acura to see if the tranny was ever replaced under recall. With 150k on the dial, it's possible that the tranny may have been previously replaced or rebuilt ?

For now, keeping the fluid clean by performing the suggested drain & fill method using Honda's DW1 fluid will help keep the present tranny in working order. Don't cross the bridge until ya get to it, but read up on the "AV6" as a replacement donor tranny if yours craps out at some point.

In the meantime, do all the basic PM and cleaning. Research the site for some popular performance and appearance mods......then make a wish list !!! Don't forget to check the site's "Black Market" for good deals on used parts and also new aftermarket vendor supplied parts.
Thanks for the advice very helpful