Just got an exhaust ticket in VA!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Angry Just got an exhaust ticket in VA!

The ticket says "excessive noise from muffler - (defective equipment)." Apparantly "there is a law in virginia banning aftermarket parts on cars." Are you serious? What do I do? Anyone experienced this!? They're the COMPTECH'S for crying out loud, they're not even loud!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:03 AM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you could get the violation code#, check against your local dmv law to see how it said. Each state is different, so I can't tell what's the actual law in Virginia. In Cali, as long as the exhaust (doesn't matter aftermarket part or not) has the noise level less than 92bds, then it's perfectly ok to use on public road.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:42 AM
3-piece FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy the quiet inserts and get the decibals tested somewhere. Ticket should be cleared. Pay the court fee.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:44 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh, this is why I stay away from VA. The cops are pricks. I got a ticket for that before.
The worst was when the cop followed me for about a miles worth of time on local streets and pulled me over. He said I was making a lot of U turns and I looked suspicious. I WAS FU( l< iNG LOST!!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Instructor

VA laws suck especially in the Tidewater area.
They seem to target any import w/ aftermarket parts of course they stay away from the loud mustangs and freakin loud harleys.........

definitely get the quiet inserts.

They(VA) really need to reassess their view about laws and after market parts, they seem really outdated.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Pro

Haha. They do love to stalk people. I was coming out of the movie theater going down a 3 lane road, and i see this guy in this modded civic look over at me, and we begin to go at it, and we look over the hill and see 3 cops with flashing lights pulling over this del sol with a custom exhaust, so we get on the brakes, he turns off, and I head to wendy's. So i'm driving casually, and 5 under, because of the cop infestation (fridays and saturdays, especially in Newport News, 20+ cops patrol jefferson avenue for tuner cars, but I've never had any problems thanks to my 4 door family car).. anyway, I turn right onto jefferson and notice that there's an effing cop car behind me with its LIGHTS OFF (i mean its headlights!), it follows me for 3 stoplights, I switched lanes, and it switched lanes... i was going into a yellow light and i had to get on the brakes for fear of running a red with this sneaky ghosting cop behind me... imagine my surprise when its blue lights finally came on to tell me i was going to get a ticket...for having non oem exhaust...

man, i HATE VA. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do here to get out of it. VA cops will give people out of state tickets for it too!? (Thats what i've heard from my research). How can they do that!? Apparantly, getting a silencer for it won't work either because they can give you a ticket for having non-stock exhaust of any kind (although a silencer would make it less obvious?)... I think its just time to get the heck outta VA.

Whoever was talking about the whole domestic thing, you really weren't joking. Unless its the much loathed 5th gen, you'll never see a mustang, camaro, firebird, getting a ticket for something as stupid as exhaust. I just dont understand the purpose of the law. People blast their subs with the windows down; stock porsche's, cobra mustangs, and harleys are all louder than my exhaust'd TL, and I get a ticket for this mess. What am I supposed to do? Go back and put on my stock exhaust? I'll take the fine, thanksss.

That was good venting, now back to my exam cram
Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Yeah man i heard the VA cops are the worst. It really gets me that imports, get pulled over all the time for loud exhaust, and Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, trucks with dual pipes and harleys never get pulled over and those things are hella louder then ours. I just dont get it
Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Says whatever you want, but the only way if you want to win the ticket is to look at your state vehicle law regarding about this "non-OEM exhaust violation." If the law indeed prohibited to have aftermarket exhaust of any kind, then loudness is not an issue here! What you can do is replace the tip of the aftermarket exhaust with the OEM one and hopefully you're free with still aftermarket muffler. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, I would definitely do what LacViet said. Look up the code and find out exactly what the law states.

My friend was once pulled over for "loud exhaust." The cop said it was too loud, so he asked her what she meant by "loud." She said she could hear him coming down the street.

He then proceeded to inform her that the Michigan statute is 9x dB (I forgot) at 50 feet away, using a certified and calibrated decibel meter, none of which she did. Yeah, she had nothing. It pays to know the law. Definitely look it up. Comptech, I believe, states that it is 50-state legal. Look into that. I've heard bad stories about VA, but I doubt they can override federal laws.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:45 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
lol... i am glad i dont live in VA. If you cant beat that ticket, ill take your exaust off your hands, LOL! jk man... enless you really cant beat that ticket and i minght be able to buy it off of you.. if it fits my car
Old 05-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro

Alright. Looking at my ticket, the law section that the cop wrote down, and the description that she wrote down do not match at all.

On my ticket she wrote 46.2-1049, but she WROTE:
"Excessive noise from a muffler (defective equip)"

The law OFFICIALLY states

"46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order

No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual nose. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it prevents the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a motor vehichle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excess or
unusual noise."

I have a feeling I might as well go ahead and pay the 85 dollar ticket. But its just so bizarre. No one driving down at 3pm on a monday gets an exhaust ticket, but because i'm driving a car with exhaust on it at 11pm on a friday, i must be one of those venomous street racers thats poisoning virginia roads.

So, does anyone with comptech silencers know if its close to being as quiet as the stock? I'm not going to get the silencers if they're not going to cover my ass on these things... But CaliChris, if you think i'm parting with that wonderful comptech catback, you're dreaming

*Adren, i'm guessing they're only 50 state legal in that they're carb certified (so those california folks wont have to worry--- they're smog limitations are ridiculous)
Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it prevents the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.
Wow, that's pretty gay. I'm glad I don't live in VA.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would check with a lawyer also on this. Its hard to beleive they would have something with out a DB limit. Whats loud to one may not be oud to another. And there are plenty cars from the factory with louder mufflers than a TL with the comptechs on.

And yes the quiet tip inserts for the comptech make a difference.

The other thing to look into is painting the nice Chrome muffler with a black heat paint so that it doesnt stand out as aftermarket.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn...I have Comptech w/ silencers and I don't think it's very loud. I wonder if I would have a problem. I also have Texas plates...guess I should watch my back. Your post of the law seemed to be a little choppy so I found it again and read through it. Here it is again:

46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order. No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make."

Yours left a little out it seems like but more or less the same thing.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are loop holes in every law. lawyer will do it. but again you could prob by the silencers and it would be cheaper.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Pro

Yea, i think at this point. i'm going to go with the silencers. at least then, i can take them out when i'm in NC. How long does it take to take them in and out?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow...we have some stupid auto laws here in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, but no real exhaust laws. I can't remember anyone (in the 19 years that I have been driving) I know ever getting a ticket around here for exhaust. Along with many friends I've had some LOUD exhaust in my day! I'm glad I never had to worry about it.

It's official VA sucks!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Yea, i think at this point. i'm going to go with the silencers. at least then, i can take them out when i'm in NC. How long does it take to take them in and out?
Paint the mufflers black to hide them more. And the inserts take about 20 seconds apiece. I do recomend replacing the screws with new ones every so often though.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

The silencers are held in by one screw but I would do yourself a favor and get some stainless steel screws. I am not sure if the ones that they send are but I do know they keep on rusting and falling out. I am sending comptech an e-mail about this. I am not sure that it will make any difference but I'll see what happens.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:00 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by snowman81
Damn...I have Comptech w/ silencers and I don't think it's very loud. I wonder if I would have a problem. I also have Texas plates...guess I should watch my back. Your post of the law seemed to be a little choppy so I found it again and read through it. Here it is again:

46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order. No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make."

Yours left a little out it seems like but more or less the same thing.
Isn't the Comptech exhaust comparable? This ticket smells of BS, IMO.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Drifting

I use to own a 95 Accord EX coupe, with a Greddy EVO2 exhaust, 50 state legal exhaust, so i thought, i still got "loud exhaust" or "inadequate muffler" tickets all the time. I brought in all the info on the exhaust to court, still had to pay a fine for the cops perception of a "loud exhaust" last time i checked harleys db have to be atleast 130, i guess motorcycles are an exception. Exhaust tickets are bullshit, we get tickets on our cars that are well maintained, while the guy with some P.O.S, with no exhaust or cat slips by, this kills me
Old 05-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

I would say that the comptechs are comparable but would the cop say that? That's the thing is that they left it so discretionary and it's really whatever they think. I agree, it's a BS law.
As for exhaust being 50 state legal, they are only talking about emissions. No exhaust will claim to be 50 state legal for noise. Most diesel trucks have louder exhausts than a modded TL so I don't understand what their problem would be. If I ever get pulled over for this I am throwing the BS flag and fighting it. Not that I think I will get anywhere but if everyone just pays the fine with no problem, the laws will just get stupider.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Id fight it all the way and make a huge stink over it. Its bull shit that a cop can do that on what he hears. There should be setforth in writing a max allowable DB. The comptechs are barely louder than stock. A G35 is louder than the TL with comptechs
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Try to search around on your dmv laws. Usually it will spell out the DB limit and how/instruction on measurement the noise level in one of the section that related to exhaust system. If you decide to fight the ticket, use the unclear words in the law to defense. Clearly you have exhaust system on your car that
...comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment....
, then the question you can ask the court and make an officer to prove to you that: How loud is excessive/ unusual noise? Using human ears is not valid since each person can and will perceive the loudness in different way. A "calibrated" instrument used to measure the noise level is the only valid data to support the ticket. Without it, the ticket is meaningless.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
They list no decible limit as they mention ...comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment....this can vary car to car. Obviously the decible rating on a vette is going to be different to that of a Civic, ect. So basically what they are saying is that the exhaust installed cannot go over what your OEM rating is....which again....will vary per model of vehicle. So the burden of the court is....to know what your particular cars decible rating is...and what it was at that day in time.....

Without proper equip....he cant prove jack. Ya.....it sounds loud.....right.....that doesnt hold in court man. I cant believe they are trying to raise state revenue this way and not even take the time to have the proper equip to back it up...geez! Get a lawyer!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Without proper equip....he cant prove jack. Ya.....it sounds loud.....right.....that doesnt hold in court man. I cant believe they are trying to raise state revenue this way and not even take the time to have the proper equip to back it up...geez! Get a lawyer!
Old 05-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

I will agree with VA having some BS tickets for exhaust. Apparently if your exhaust is stainless steel or shiny at all you will get pulled over. I fought the ticket I recieved and I won. This was a couple years back when i was driving my neon which had dual pipes. I ordered the exhaust out of the mopar magazine right at the dodge dealership and had them install it. In the magazine is quoted "Factory Replacement" amongst some other stuff.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Pleasure Unit

I think of it this way - if you are from out of state and you get an exhaust ticket - too friggin bad for the cops - don't pay it.

Rules for things like that are bogus and unwarranted - tinted windows are legal in FL but illegal in other places, so if you are here in NJ and get pulled over, they shouldn't be able to do anything for that "violation". Ditto for other things like front plates (lack of) and exhaust systems.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeCLS6
I will agree with VA having some BS tickets for exhaust. Apparently if your exhaust is stainless steel or shiny at all you will get pulled over.
Like i said paint the mufflers then.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Pro

ahh, i guess i'll have to paint them and silence them, but not until i take a LOT of pictures.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I bet with them being black and not all shiny the cops wouldnt even look at or bother you.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Advanced

This is an issue in California as well. So much for living in America, "land of the free."

I'm really tired of law enforcement in general. Have you ever seen them pull over a Harley for "excessive noise" ?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 PM
W00t

Originally Posted by Omnislash07
This is an issue in California as well. So much for living in America, "land of the free."

I'm really tired of law enforcement in general. Have you ever seen them pull over a Harley for "excessive noise" ?
Thats an excellent point. Those Harleys or choppers I hear ride down the road actually make me flinch and cover my ears.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:49 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Aftermarket exhaust is not an issue anymore in Cali! Sure there's still incident that cops pull you over for loud exhaust, but you can beat the ticket easily now. Go to the link below and scroll down near the bottom for more information on why Cali exhaust law should not exist anymore. (out of 3000 aftermarket exhaust tested, near 90% are pass the exhaust noise law)
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.asp...ANcom/HomePage
Old 05-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Instructor

man, i HATE VA. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do here to get out of it. VA cops will give people out of state tickets for it too!? (Thats what i've heard from my research). How can they do that!? Apparantly, getting a silencer for it won't work either because they can give you a ticket for having non-stock exhaust of any kind (although a silencer would make it less obvious?)... I think its just time to get the heck outta VA.

[/QUOTE]

From what I was told from my friend who is a lawyer, a cop from a state other than the state your car is registered in can not give you a equipment ticket(Like for tints, or exausts and ect)becasue the laws are different from state to state, like in SC where there is no state inspection or emission tests. Now i'm not sure if this correct or not or has changed but it was some food for thought.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

dude yall have no idea untill you live in Short Pump, VA in the West End of Richmond, cops out the fucking ass, if you have a drink and go drive you better have your binoculars out for those inner yellow headlights cuz the cops are fucking insane and dont give a shit, if i was a 80 year old millionair and was .01 over the legal limit they'd still give me a DUI there all fuckers. my girlfriend's older sister's boyfriend(soon to be fiance) is a henrico officer, hes 25 and still fucking plays world of warcraft (no offense) and is a total douschebag, he thinks he is such hot shit cuz he has a damn badge and a faggot car with blue lights... its SO obvious to tell he has no friends and never will. untill you move to the west end of VA i dono if you can truly say cops are dicks... lemme know if anybody is from around the area
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
VA is gay. I would just pay it and get it over with. Chances are you try and fight it you will get off but they will give you a ticket for something else stupid when u get there or leave. I always obey the law in VA. Cant afford to get pulled over by those @$$holes
Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you know what you should do, you should have ur stock exhaust on and get some aftermarket tips that dont add noise or anything just for looks and if they pull you over because they "say" that ur exhaust is to loud you can tell them bullshit because its oem exhaust lol
then you could sue the whole justice system for all its flaw LOL