Installing a Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a Satellite radio

Has anyone installed a satellite radio in a 03 tls? If so do you have any pics? I am thinking of hard wiring one in, but I don't really know where. There is a bracket for TLS beside the radio on the passenger side. I was wondering if this would hinder the passenger or if it is out of the way. Your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Cubalibre

satellite on 03 tl

I bought the xm sportser and velcroed it just above the radio. You lose the convenience tray but it looks fairly clean. By the way, soundgate makes an adapter to run it through the factory radio and gives you one more aux in to boot. Make sure you get version 3 of this thing if you choose to go that way. There are firmware issues with older versions. good luck!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I personally have my XM SkyFi2 connected to a window/suction cup mount all the way to the left of the steering wheel. All the wires are run along the side underneath the kickplate and around the drivers seat into the glove box for power, and 1 wire into the cassete adapter for sound. I really really want to hard wire it in and do what the member below did...

http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...topic=1541&hl=
http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...z_catalog.html

Old 11-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cubalibre1971
I bought the xm sportser and velcroed it just above the radio. You lose the convenience tray but it looks fairly clean. By the way, soundgate makes an adapter to run it through the factory radio and gives you one more aux in to boot. Make sure you get version 3 of this thing if you choose to go that way. There are firmware issues with older versions. good luck!!!
Thanks for the advice. I will look into your suggestion.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 PM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have mine installed in the sunglass holder near the sunroof. I dont use it anyway so i made it look hidden and the sunglass holder goes up or down perfectly.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one. Has anyone tried using the antenna thats for the navi? Splicing into it rather than putting the one that comes with the unit? I've searched on the topic but can't seem to find the right key words.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You beat me to it. I planned to post these pics on another Sat Radio thread. This is actually mycar in these pics! I still have this setup and it works great! Connected via Blitzsafe adapter to the back of the stock Bose hu, it connects into the secondary cd changer port and I toggle back and forth between the XM and CD changer by hitting the CD button 2x to get to XM and if I hooked in an additional changer, I would hit the button 3x to get to XM. Pretty slick. The Bose amp and stereo seem to take some of the mids and highs out from the XM. I plan on getting an AVIC double din setup so I can have two screens and better XM sound I'm pretty sure.

The only reason I have this setup is because I take my SkiFi2 into work with me everyday. I never planned on replacing the headunit, but some of these new decks is creating much temptation. Like I said, going on 4 years this coming June with this setup and never a problem. You should clean the contacts on the XM and holder every 6 months or so to make sure you get a clean connection.

Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
I personally have my XM SkyFi2 connected to a window/suction cup mount all the way to the left of the steering wheel. All the wires are run along the side underneath the kickplate and around the drivers seat into the glove box for power, and 1 wire into the cassete adapter for sound. I really really want to hard wire it in and do what the member below did...

http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...topic=1541&hl=
http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...z_catalog.html

Old 12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put mine up here

mainly because its red (it was a gift) and doesn't match the rest of my set up
seen here

Old 12-02-2006, 06:57 PM
WINNING

damn you copied my install idea hahaa just kidding
i have the same setup in my sunglass holder like you but a different unit a lot smaller than that one
Old 12-07-2006, 12:28 PM
6th Gear

Pioneer Inno XM Install

I'm planning to install a Pioneer Inno using the same type of mount off to the right side of the radio. I have ordered a simple adapter cable for the AUX input to the CD changer connector. Simple, but not cheap as far as I can tell. Here is a link:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...9&cat=0&page=1

I like the way you dressed the wires with the tubing, it looks very professional. Did you have to cut away any of the "wood grain" trim to run the wires past the dash?

And where did you run the power conneciton? Were you able to run the antenna to the center of the back window?

I was thinking of letting Best Buy do the simple install for the power and antenna, but I'm not sure if I trust them to do a good job.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Ackniculous One

Answers below!

Originally Posted by jefftxtl
I'm planning to install a Pioneer Inno using the same type of mount off to the right side of the radio. I have ordered a simple adapter cable for the AUX input to the CD changer connector. Simple, but not cheap as far as I can tell. Here is a link:

I like the way you dressed the wires with the tubing, it looks very professional. Did you have to cut away any of the "wood grain" trim to run the wires past the dash?

No trimming of dash at all, the wood piece still clips into the dash, there is a very slight gap compared to the left side. The wires aren't thin, so no choice there. Not noticable at all unless you look close.

And where did you run the power conneciton? Were you able to run the antenna to the center of the back window?

Ran the power connection up through the console and up the right side of the center armrest console. The cord is sort of hidden between the left side of the passenger seat. The cord plugs into the armrest power port. Antenna, yes..see below.

I was thinking of letting Best Buy do the simple install for the power and antenna, but I'm not sure if I trust them to do a good job.

Why waste the money. Run the antenna cord along the passenger side, up the the right side of the rear seat, under the right side deck and place it right next to your third brakelight on the inside of the car. I simply got a metal thumbtack, placed it on the center part of the magnet and push pinned it right next to the third brakelight. The thumbtack keeps it from moving, but it can be removed at any time. I get full bars on reception and it works great without advertising I got XM on the outside of the car. Simple and no wires showing!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 PM
WINNING

got mine done at best buy
Old 12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

I just bought the Pioneer Inno and want a clean install. Since I'm relatively handy, I thought I'd take a crack at doing this myself. I'm going to be following CJITTY's footsteps and will be purchasing the XM5-HON98 here:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=872

I like it because it's got a 5V power feed and I don't have to plug into a cigarette lighter. I am also planning on getting the VSM:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/mount.htm

I'll try to take nice pix and post them when I'm done. Also, if anyone knows for sure if my approach is wrong, please let me know. TIA!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by justaparadox
I just bought the Pioneer Inno and want a clean install. Since I'm relatively handy, I thought I'd take a crack at doing this myself. I'm going to be following CJITTY's footsteps and will be purchasing the XM5-HON98 here:

I like it because it's got a 5V power feed and I don't have to plug into a cigarette lighter. I am also planning on getting the VSM:

I'll try to take nice pix and post them when I'm done. Also, if anyone knows for sure if my approach is wrong, please let me know. TIA!
Sounds good. If this goes well for you, please post up your own directions. It's either this or a touchscreen/GPS. I'm torn, touchscreen or exhaust... I really love XM & music, but the sound of the exhaust could make up for the lack of music...
Old 12-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Ackniculous One

Cool, make sure you do take those pics! I love how the other member hooked theirs up in the sunglass visor. Looks very nice!! I installed mine almost 3 years ago and didn't have some of the great ideas that folks have done on this site with their installs. Good luck to you on your install !

Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mezzerTL-S
I put mine up here

mainly because its red (it was a gift) and doesn't match the rest of my set up
seen here

I was planning on doing this as well but where did you run your power and antenna wire???
Old 12-14-2006, 03:49 PM

the power wires I just tapped into the map lights neg and pos so all the connections are inside the headliner, the antenna wire runs in the headliner down the pillar past the driverside fuse panel, under the driverside front and rear door sills, took out the back set and ran the wire under the seats and mounted the antenna itself in front of the third brake light heres a pic of where it ended up
Old 12-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Damn man....looks great. Seems like it was a lot of work? How long did that take you?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Ackniculous One

Wow, that install in third brakelight looks great!! Good job!!

Originally Posted by CHEWKNOW
Damn man....looks great. Seems like it was a lot of work? How long did that take you?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:00 PM

thanks for the guys

didn't take that long, maybe an hour total with all the wiring, sills and re & re of the seats, I was doing other stereo work at the same time most of the stuff was apart already
Old 12-18-2006, 08:16 PM
6th Gear

I tried the thumbtack antenna trick next to the sub, but I think the tint is blocking a lot of signal. I also commute to a "repeater free" area, so I need a strong sat signal.

Any ideas of how to run from the passenger compartment into the trunk? Once I get there I am home free for installing on outside of trunk or rear of roof.

By the way, that simple AUX adapter turned out to be a PIE. It's incredible how good the sound can be with it. Also incredible how some XM stations sound MUCH better than others!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Instructor

I don't understand how hte AUX adapter works? I have the Sirius S50 and want to go through the factory radio. What do I need?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Has anyone used this with an 03' TLS with Navigation? I have a 6 disk in dash changer...does it matter?

Old 12-19-2006, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

Has anyone used this with an 03' TLS with Navigation? I have a 6 disk in dash changer...does it matter?

That's what I am using. It's actually a PIE unit (see www.PIE.net). But I don't have Nav or a changer. Send an email to autotoys sales dept and they should be able to help you out.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Ackniculous One

Hmm, that's weird. I traveled across country in the middle of nowhere and still get full signal, and I have dark tint, but it is not metalized. Is yours? Try positioning it a little different using the antenna aiming feature on the XM unit. It will show you your satellite and terrestrial strengths. If that still doesn't work, position the antennal on the back edge of the trunk (I did the center where the window frame meets up) and then the cord will fall into the trunk and then run it behind the seat, along the baseboards around to the front kick panels and then to the radio.

I tried the thumbtack antenna trick next to the sub, but I think the tint is blocking a lot of signal. I also commute to a "repeater free" area, so I need a strong sat signal.

Any ideas of how to run from the passenger compartment into the trunk? Once I get there I am home free for installing on outside of trunk or rear of roof.

By the way, that simple AUX adapter turned out to be a PIE. It's incredible how good the sound can be with it. Also incredible how some XM stations sound MUCH better than others!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Hmm, that's weird. I traveled across country in the middle of nowhere and still get full signal, and I have dark tint, but it is not metalized. Is yours? Try positioning it a little different using the antenna aiming feature on the XM unit. It will show you your satellite and terrestrial strengths. If that still doesn't work, position the antennal on the back edge of the trunk (I did the center where the window frame meets up) and then the cord will fall into the trunk and then run it behind the seat, along the baseboards around to the front kick panels and then to the radio.
My tint probably is metalized. It was put in after I bought the car. Interestingly, the sun roof tint is not - I tried the antenna just below it and got a great signal. I also tried it behind the front windshield and got an excellent signal when driving South, but no signal driving North.

In any case, after about 3 hours of trying this and that, I finally ran the antenna to the trunk behind the right back seat. I created a gap large enough to pass the antenna through by pulling the seat forward and compressing the padding. Then I attempted to mount on the roof, but couldn't seem to get the wheather stripping to cooperate. Finally, I settled on the trunk. So far, so good this morning, I have the strongest signal yet. The real test is driving South on the way home. There is a ramp facing South that must be a 20 deg incline. If it holds a signal on that I am set.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Ackniculous One

Yeah, I had mine on the trunk for a couple years. Never had an issue. But, I didn't like advertising I had a non factory XM system, so thats when I checked out the inside mount and I like that setup much better. No extra antenneas outside the car. Again, I never have signal issues and I've traveled the country in my car with that setup. Always get 3 full bars on my SkiFi2 system.

My tint probably is metalized. It was put in after I bought the car. Interestingly, the sun roof tint is not - I tried the antenna just below it and got a great signal. I also tried it behind the front windshield and got an excellent signal when driving South, but no signal driving North.

In any case, after about 3 hours of trying this and that, I finally ran the antenna to the trunk behind the right back seat. I created a gap large enough to pass the antenna through by pulling the seat forward and compressing the padding. Then I attempted to mount on the roof, but couldn't seem to get the wheather stripping to cooperate. Finally, I settled on the trunk. So far, so good this morning, I have the strongest signal yet. The real test is driving South on the way home. There is a ramp facing South that must be a 20 deg incline. If it holds a signal on that I am set.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Old 01-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

Inno Install Pix

I'm happy to report a successful install of my satellite radio in my 2000 3.2TL! I received the auxilliary interface,

XM5-HON98

and the vehicle specific mount, model AC-54-99,

Pro-fit VSM

on a Friday and excitedly started install the following Saturday morning. About four hours later (accounting for cleaning all the gunk in the cracks and crevices and putting away all the tools), I got this:

I opted to mount the antenna in the back shelf. I had read other posts elsewhere that indicated this mounting would be adequate. I even found actual dealer install instructions from Honda (for the ODYSSEY ) showing that internal mounting was fine. So far the drops in signal has been acceptable and I am thoroughly enjoying my satellite radio.

Please let me add that THIS was really helpful and the guy that put it together is a god. The document was critical in getting into the console. While the instructions were for the CL, the TL console and dash was 99% identical.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Ackniculous One

Great work! My setup looks identical except for the style radio I have. I see so many people placing antennas all over the roof with the wire hanging off the side, I just wonder why they don't try the inside mount. I love having XM radio without advertising I have it!!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Instructor

So does anyone know what i need to do this if I have a Factory Navigation system and also a factory In-Dash 6 CD changer??
Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Ackniculous One

Well, I got factory Navi and my blitzsafe adapter has the additional port to allow me to connect a 2nd changer and continue to allow me to toggle using the CD button for CD1/CD2/AUX

My factory NAVI audio still makes sounds and hear ol girl talkin bout "proceed to the highlighted route" etc.

I wonder if that part you have is slightly different, mine works just fine.

So does anyone know what i need to do this if I have a Factory Navigation system and also a factory In-Dash 6 CD changer??
Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Instructor

I bought the Sirius S50 and installed everything last night. The only thing I didnt like is that it didnt come with a power cable that I can wire into the fuse panel. It came with a DC power supply that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I don't want that...so i was wondering if i can just cut the end of the thing off and crimp a female connector on the end of it and splice it into my fuse panel for power. Will this work?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Ackniculous One

I don't know my Blitzsafe part number unfortunately. But, here is how it works.

The Blitzsafe has the following connections:

My blitsafe has NO power hookup required. It's all passive.

Input - Left and Right (red/white) rca phono connections (female, I believe)

It has another circular input on the blitsafe box itself to allow for an additional Acura or Honda CD changer. I think Alpine as well..not sure 100%

It has one plug that connects to the back of the stock head unit into the additional CD changer port.

For connecting with your iPod or Xm or whatever, you will need to go to Radio Shack and get a "Phono to RCA" adapter that allows you to plug in one end that looks like a headphone plug to your output of your iPod or XM and then the other end of the adapter is the phono connections (male) that will plug into your blitzsafe adapter. Thats how it gets the audio signal to pump into your car stereo.

The optional CD changer would plug into the circular port on the blitzsafe adapter with no additional harnesses needed if you have an Acura/Honda or Alpine changer (not 100% sure about Alpine).

Then, you are all connected and you would cycle through all three sources by simply pushing the CD button on your car stereo if you have an Acura deck. You should or else none of this will work the way I just explained.

Here are some good links to help you

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=7606

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalAcuraTL.htm

This is what I think I have!!
http://www.myradiostore.com/auxadapt...dual-mode.html

Let me know if this helps!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Cruisin'

I'm happy to report a successful install of my satellite radio in my 2000 3.2TL! I received the auxilliary interface,

XM5-HON98

and the vehicle specific mount, model AC-54-99,

Pro-fit VSM

on a Friday and excitedly started install the following Saturday morning. About four hours later (accounting for cleaning all the gunk in the cracks and crevices and putting away all the tools), I got this:

I opted to mount the antenna in the back shelf. I had read other posts elsewhere that indicated this mounting would be adequate. I even found actual dealer install instructions from Honda (for the ODYSSEY ) showing that internal mounting was fine. So far the drops in signal has been acceptable and I am thoroughly enjoying my satellite radio.

Please let me add that THIS was really helpful and the guy that put it together is a god. The document was critical in getting into the console. While the instructions were for the CL, the TL console and dash was 99% identical.
I have the same setup with the antenna on the back deck. Works just fine. I also have the XM5-HON98 interface but I cannot seem to toggle from CD to the satellite by pressing the CD button. Am I missing something?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same setup with the antenna on the back deck. Works just fine. I also have the XM5-HON98 interface but I cannot seem to toggle from CD to the satellite by pressing the CD button. Am I missing something?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gcope
I can toggle successfully between single CD and satellite by pressing the CD button. Not to be insulting or anything, but, do you have a CD in the single CD player? The stereo won't switch to it if there's no disk to play.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

I can toggle successfully between single CD and satellite by pressing the CD button. Not to be insulting or anything, but, do you have a CD in the single CD player? The stereo won't switch to it if there's no disk to play.
No insult taken. And you may be on to something. I have 6 CD's in the indash player. I'm wondering if I empty the player and press CD, will the radio switch to the interface? I will give that a try.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

No insult taken. And you may be on to something. I have 6 CD's in the indash player. I'm wondering if I empty the player and press CD, will the radio switch to the interface? I will give that a try.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

Quick Reply: Installing a Satellite radio