I want a good exhaust...help....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a good exhaust...help....

I need a really really good sound exhaust. Something very deep but not loud at all. I don't want to sit in a fart can. Something sounds really deep and nice. Any advice?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Without a garage

I'd say go search in the performance and mods section. There are some threads with videos.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Instructor

I got the Accord v6 Magnaflow cat back,i don't know if its deep enough for you but i'm very pleased with it ,check it out.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136438
Old 10-18-2006, 03:20 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Eat some beans. Really, you can't go wrong with Comptech's deep, throaty sound.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Drifting

comptech exhaust!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Apexi Ws2 Hands Down
Old 10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Low and Slow

Comptech, Apex'i WS II, Tanabe SMH. In that order or volume quietest to loudest. I myself have the Tanabe and am in love, but the Apex'i I've heard is quieter. Both have an awesome low grumbly tone. Not fart cans at all.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryebreadisme
Comptech, Apex'i WS II, Tanabe SMH. In that order or volume quietest to loudest. I myself have the Tanabe and am in love, but the Apex'i I've heard is quieter. Both have an awesome low grumbly tone. Not fart cans at all.
i second the tanabe. ive never heard any other exhausts in person, but for the tanabe to be the loudest, the CT must be a $1000 stock exhaust. and i know 99% of the people here are gonna disagree, but imo, its a waste of money. personally, for half the price, i would get the apexi or tanabe. and im sure in the blackmarket you can find a used one easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Hgu0EWYWc
heres a quick vid after i put the tanabe exhaust on. imo, vq35esque, but meaner.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by stRodda
i second the tanabe. ive never heard any other exhausts in person, but for the tanabe to be the loudest, the CT must be a $1000 stock exhaust. and i know 99% of the people here are gonna disagree, but imo, its a waste of money. personally, for half the price, i would get the apexi or tanabe. and im sure in the blackmarket you can find a used one easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Hgu0EWYWc
heres a quick vid after i put the tanabe exhaust on. imo, vq35esque, but meaner.
Im going to diss agree with you big time. The comptechs sound alot like the g35. The comptechs also allow you to remove one or both of your resonators and use the quiet tip inserts when needed, having a tuneable exhaust.. They are well worth the money in my
Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Im going to diss agree with you big time. The comptechs sound alot like the g35. The comptechs also allow you to remove one or both of your resonators and use the quiet tip inserts when needed, having a tuneable exhaust.. They are well worth the money in my
well again, its all opinion. personally, part of the reason i wanted an exhaust was for some added sound affects. the stock exhaust was completely lacking balls. if the tanabe is loud compared to the comptech, i can only imagine how it sounds. i understand the adjustability would be a great asset to some. but for someone like myself, i wouldnt spend that kind of money on a catback, just to silence it. i just kept my stock mufflers... if i ever want to quiet things down, i can just throw those on, free of charge.

i dont know how the inserts work on the ct unit... but on my accord, while i was dyno tuning, i lost 17whp by putting the silencer in. yes it was alot quieter, but not worth the power loss.

@wot, i wouldnt mind if the tanabe was louder. it seems while cruising i can hear it, but past a certain rpm, all i hear is the intake.

i guess in the end, its all about personal preference. and again this is my opinion, not necessarily fact, but i feel part of the inflated comtech price comes with the name. take the headers for example. for an 1/8th of the cost you can get a proven alternative. im not saying the comptech stuff isnt of great quality, just not worth the price tag.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Part of the reason the ct is quieter is due to them trying to make it with out the droan. the sound is nice and deep. And as for the inserts a exhaust on our cars only makes about 3 hp. and the inserts were rated at something like -1 ( so the muffler was only making 2hp). I never saw a difference at the track with them in or out. The comptechs with out resonators are most likely just as loud as the tanabe. with a great sound.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by stRodda
well again, its all opinion. personally, part of the reason i wanted an exhaust was for some added sound affects. the stock exhaust was completely lacking balls. if the tanabe is loud compared to the comptech, i can only imagine how it sounds. i understand the adjustability would be a great asset to some. but for someone like myself, i wouldnt spend that kind of money on a catback, just to silence it. i just kept my stock mufflers... if i ever want to quiet things down, i can just throw those on, free of charge.

i dont know how the inserts work on the ct unit... but on my accord, while i was dyno tuning, i lost 17whp by putting the silencer in. yes it was alot quieter, but not worth the power loss.

@wot, i wouldnt mind if the tanabe was louder. it seems while cruising i can hear it, but past a certain rpm, all i hear is the intake.

i guess in the end, its all about personal preference. and again this is my opinion, not necessarily fact, but i feel part of the inflated comtech price comes with the name. take the headers for example. for an 1/8th of the cost you can get a proven alternative. im not saying the comptech stuff isnt of great quality, just not worth the price tag.
First and foremost, most ppl doing the exhaust on this vehicle aren't looking for HP b/c the stock exhaust is already very free flowing. The Comptech axleback exhaust is deep, throaty, but not loud. That price is only around $600. For the Type S, you can get a B pipe (mid pipe) to get a slightly deeper and louder sound.

Also, the Tanabe exhaust is about $750 and the Greddy is about $850. The Comptech can be had for about $975. There is a difference in price. There are two things that separate Comptech from others. 1. 3 year warranty 2. Top notch customer service 3. Tons of R&D for Honda vehicles. I deal with Greddy and Tanabe and their customer service is good, but I haven't seen someone stand by their products as much as Comptech.

How could you possibly lose 17whp with a silencer???????!?!?!? What brand was this?

Comptech is not cheap, but it also is not expensive; it is worth its price tag.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Racer

Keep your eyes open. I got my Apexi WS for $300 new and love it. Nice sound, not loud just rumble. 2 years now and still like new.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

i LIKE THE TANABE BUT COMPTECH ALSO SOUNDS INTERESTING....
Old 10-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bazokaTL
i LIKE THE TANABE BUT COMPTECH ALSO SOUNDS INTERESTING....
i say, for the most part, they all gonna sound similar... the tanabe being a little louder(meaner, imo). i guess it all depends on if you can find a deal. i got lucky with a local guy, didnt want to ship, so i got my tanabe catback for $240 picked up.

the only thing that bothered me was the fact that the tanabe also has the largest tips. im used to it now, but in the beginning, i wouldnt have minded something a little smaller.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:41 PM
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
Apexi Ws2 Hands Down
Old 10-20-2006, 01:21 AM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
comptech all the way...my buddy has a CL with the apexi and I like my comptech 10 times better....get tons of compliments from everyone...headers makes comptech sound even better too...but either way apexi or comptech cant go wrong
Old 10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by type-s09
comptech all the way...my buddy has a CL with the apexi and I like my comptech 10 times better....get tons of compliments from everyone...headers makes comptech sound even better too...but either way apexi or comptech cant go wrong
I have Comptech I/H/E. It sounds great at idle and going to WOT. IMO, it sux in between b/c it's loud and drones. I just bought silencers so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

But it's hard to argue with CT quality or warranty.

I had a WSII on my 95GSR and I loved it. The price is good, too.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:16 PM
B A N N E D

i see some exhaust online but they only have one muffler

which are the ones that have two mufflers?

can anyone list please.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
get magnaflows, best bang for buck.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
i see some exhaust online but they only have one muffler

which are the ones that have two mufflers?

can anyone list please.
I've never seen a TL with one muffler. I like my Apexi WS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2f2AUM46-4
Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I had the Comptech Cat back exhaust on my '02 TL-S. For my taste it was too loud. I sold the axle back mufflers and put the stock mufflers on with the Comptech B-Pipe. This provided a little throater exhaust without being too loud.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dj5
I had the Comptech Cat back exhaust on my '02 TL-S. For my taste it was too loud. I sold the axle back mufflers and put the stock mufflers on with the Comptech B-Pipe. This provided a little throater exhaust without being too loud.
You should have kept the mufflers and put in the quiet tip inserts, or kept the stock b pipe on and left the comptech mufflers
Old 11-04-2006, 08:55 AM
WILL PLAY POOL FOR CASH

Originally Posted by DAVERUBINO
That's a lotta lights on that dash!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Originally Posted by DAVERUBINO

Sounds good Dave!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:05 PM
W00t

I have a magnaflow catback, here is a little sound clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7VnuBEFtU

Im gonna try to make some drive by videos a little laters.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You should have kept the mufflers and put in the quiet tip inserts, or kept the stock b pipe on and left the comptech mufflers

The sound of the Comptech was too loud for my taste. Even with the B-pipe and stock muffers it's starting to get annoying, so the OEM B-pipe may be going back on. IMHO, changing the OEM exhaust out is a waste of money.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dj5
The sound of the Comptech was too loud for my taste. Even with the B-pipe and stock muffers it's starting to get annoying, so the OEM B-pipe may be going back on. IMHO, changing the OEM exhaust out is a waste of money.
I like the tone that is had with the comptechs. And the comptechs are the quietest of the aftermarket exhausts
Old 11-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by dj5
Like fsttyms1 said, Comptech is the quietest of them all so if the Comptech is too loud you should stick to OEM.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dj5
Wow! I'm surprised you said that. I know it's your opinion and naturally you're entitled to it, but IMHO personnally, I would never have a stock exhaust if I was modding my car. I guess if you really want to stick with that TL luxury quiet it's a different story, but I love the looks and mellow sound of my Apexi. I guess that's why God made us all different otherwise we'd all have the same, one color, one make, one model cars! How boring would that be? Not dissing ya bro, just a comment.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dj5
... IMHO, changing the OEM exhaust out is a waste of money.
i share the same opinion. after installing CT headers, i had the HKS Draggers to compliment the exhaust mod. intitially, it was fun but i like to enjoy my music while driving, and the droan got to me. not to mention my driver side tip started to melt the rear lower lip bec the tip was not long enough. the hot fumes was getting to the lip. i then modded the tips and had baffled ones installed to quiet the droan and to extend the tips farther out. i went to 2 sets of tips and still didn't find the tone that i can really live with. the last pair was ok but i still want the quieter ride for the longer drives and my music. after spending $$$ on exhaust mufflers, mods on tips, i'm back to the oem mufflers. performance-wise, i noticeably lost some quickness in low-end band but have significantly gained power on the top-end band. perhaps i got the back pressure needed for the top-end. as noted above by other members, it's a matter of preference.