how to remove interior door panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010 | 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

how to remove interior door panel

Im buying replacement parts for some messed up things in my car, and I need to know how to take off both of the rear inside door panels...I saw a thread a lil while back on it, but I cant find it anymore...anyone please help....pics are great. thanks!
Old 04-12-2010 | 10:53 PM
Racer

Follow this for the rear doors. Everything is in the DIY thread btw.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/2nd-gen-cl-door-panel-removal-335272/
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:18 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

I don't have any pics, but first remove the screw under the armrest, then the screw behind the door-opening handle. For the one behind the door-opening handle, there is a little plastic cover that you have to pop-off first. The cover is smaller than a dime. Use a thin, narrow screwdriver to get the cover off. Once the cover is off and the screw behind it is removed, remove the cover that is behind the door-opening handle by pulling it forward and out; you might need to partially pull the handle out in order to remove the cover behind it.

Next, you have to pull the plastic fasteners out that are down both sides and along the bottom of the door panel. There are seven - three down either side, and one along the bottom. I would recommend starting with the one at the back bottom-left corner, then work your way around to the rest. There is a special tool you can use to slide under the panel to pop that first one out, or just be really careful with flat-head screwdriver with protective tape on the end. Inserting at the back bottom-left corner will keep any scratches out-of-sight.

Finally, you pull the door panel UP and BACK along the top of the door panel, where the window comes out. Be careful about the little door lock knob. You can't unscrew it and take it out of the top, so just lift the panel up carefully. You will also notice that wire harness for the power window switch is still attached, so reach around and squeeze the tab and pull the plug on that.

Those last two moves are the most difficult part of re-installation. Getting the power plug back in was tough for me. The cord didn't have a lot of slack, so it creates an awkward position trying to hold up the door panel while reaching around to grab the plug and trying to find the socket just by feel. Then getting the door lock knob back through the hole in the top side of the door panel was tricky. You have to try and guide the knob from inside through the hole. Luckily the knob pivots a little bit, but it won't stand up on its own. Maybe tying a string to the knob and snaking it up throgh the hole first would be a good idea. Get an assistant to hold the string and the knob up while you try to slide the top of the door panel down and back on.

Last edited by jdjohn84; 04-12-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2010 | 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

I tried following your instructions and i know where the two screws are but I dont know what your talking about for clips and about the handle..i need to take off the handle so i cant open the door first?
Old 04-15-2010 | 05:29 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

The door should be open the entire time. The inside door opening handle/latch sits inside a little cup. You should have removed the screw behind the cap in the cup. You need to take that cup out before proceeding to the next step. Pull it out of the door panel, and you may need to open the latch slightly to get it out of the way in order to remove the cup.

The clips are plastic pop-in rivets that hold the door panel to the metal part of the door. You have to pull them out of their holes. The easiest one to start with is the lower left corner of the door panel. You will have to slide a door trim tool, or screwdriver with tape, underneath the door panel in order to pry the first rivet out. After the first one, you can usually pull the others by hand.