Help me out with the AEM Wideband...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Help me out with the AEM Wideband...

I have some questions about the AEM Wideband.

I was looking at the AEM web site, and they list three UEGO-related products.

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp

1. Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO Controller
2. UEGO Display Gauge
3. AEM Wideband UEGO Controller

The second one, the UEGO Display Gauge is self-explanatory; just the gauge sold individually.

Now my question is, what is the difference between the Gauge-Type Controller and the Wideband Controller? The latter doesn't come with the gauge, but the former does. Is that correct?

My understanding is that the first one only comes with the sensor and the display gauge, whereas the second one comes with the controller to hook up the supplied Bosch sensor, and an output harness to connect to the factory O2 sensor harness?

So if I just got the Gauge-Type, then would I have to run an O2 simulator? What are the additional benefits of the Wideband Controller, compared to the Gauge-Type Controller?

And what is the difference between single channel and dual channel? I have a chance to buy a brand new dual channel Wideband Controller for 350 dollars. It looks like that one goes for 500 dollars and change on coximport.com.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Gauge type controller is the one you want. You use the Wideband controller to interface with an AEM EMS system, which is not available for the TL. You can use the dual channel if you want to moniter the two banks seperately from each other. The wideband I would recomend is the #1 on your list.

If I was you, I would install the AEM wideband sensor seperate of the factory sensors. The stock ECU will not read these wideband style sensors.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Dragging knees in

I was under the impression that the Wideband Controller comes with a Bosch sensor that replaces the stock O2 sensor.

Then the sensor sends the data to the Controller, which has an output line to the stock O2 sensor harness to transmit the narrowband data. This way, no OBDII code would go off. And the Controller also has an output line to the gauge to display the AFR.

No?

Could I run the Wideband Controller without interfacing it to the EMS? I plan to run EMS eventually, but not for another year or so.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

ARG everything is like 00+ me and my 99
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Racer

Sorry, misunderstood you, yes you can do that with this unit. I was just saying If I was going to do this that I would leave the factory sensor and install this one near it. Just less hassle with having to make the output work just right for your ECU. What are you using that makes you want the wideband? If you're using N2O or boost I could see wanting it, but otherwise, it's just an expensive blinking light(basically). Not saying that it's not an excellent product, which it is, just curious. You might also look at the Innovate LM-1, also a VERY good product.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Racer

Here is the link for the LM-1

Click here for info on the LM-1 wideband

Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I have the gauge type wideband. It is much easier to just weld an additional bung into the header that mess with replacing the factory O2 sensor, hacking the wiring, etc.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Dragging knees in

Thanks, dands. I'll check out the LM-1 product.

I'm gonna meet up with the guy and check it out tonight.

What's the difference between single and dual channel, though?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Thanks, dands. I'll check out the LM-1 product.

I'm gonna meet up with the guy and check it out tonight.

What's the difference between single and dual channel, though?
The dual channel would allow you to moniter the 2 banks seperately, the single channel is just that, only capable of monitering 1 O2 sensor. The dual channel moniters 2 O2 sensors seperately. If you were running twin turbos with 1 on either bank this would be usefull.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks a lot, dands.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Did you ever purchase the AEM unit? I'll sell you mine for a steal of a price. The sensor was never installed, only the gauge was mounted and the wires were ran.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really dont think you need a wideband. Like dands said it's gonna be a really expensive blinky light. I guess with the v-afc you can lean stuff out a little and choke out a little bit of horse power but I don't think it'll be worth it. If you want you could probably find a local race shop that will tune it for you with their wideband and you can forget about it. If you must have one the zeitronix one is pretty cool. I have it and you could simulate a narrow band for your ecu. I lcd display is pretty pimp too. Really think about it though, becuase i don't want you to spend the money on something you won't use to the fullest extent.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vr-tls
I really dont think you need a wideband. Like dands said it's gonna be a really expensive blinky light. I guess with the v-afc you can lean stuff out a little and choke out a little bit of horse power but I don't think it'll be worth it. If you want you could probably find a local race shop that will tune it for you with their wideband and you can forget about it. If you must have one the zeitronix one is pretty cool. I have it and you could simulate a narrow band for your ecu. I lcd display is pretty pimp too. Really think about it though, becuase i don't want you to spend the money on something you won't use to the fullest extent.

A wideband is critical for street tuning. You can not get an accurate tune on a dyno.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dands99tl
The dual channel would allow you to moniter the 2 banks seperately, the single channel is just that, only capable of monitering 1 O2 sensor. The dual channel moniters 2 O2 sensors seperately. If you were running twin turbos with 1 on either bank this would be usefull.

Additionally you could splice into the factory O2 sensor wiring and run 1 dual channel O2 sensor for both the ECU to read and for the gauge.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrsteve
A wideband is critical for street tuning. You can not get an accurate tune on a dyno.
On the dyno you can get full throttle tunes in open loop. I don't think his mods need any extensive part throttle tunes. After one tune you're good, granted that the dyno will not provide any load tuning but the v-afc isn't that powerful of a tuning device. Without forced induction, Pure Adrenaline will probably tune for about an hour and never touch his v-afc after. The v-afc is rpm dependant so i don't think load matters.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by vr-tls
On the dyno you can get full throttle tunes in open loop. I don't think his mods need any extensive part throttle tunes. After one tune you're good, granted that the dyno will not provide any load tuning but the v-afc isn't that powerful of a tuning device. Without forced induction, Pure Adrenaline will probably tune for about an hour and never touch his v-afc after. The v-afc is rpm dependant so i don't think load matters.
I just need a quick tune, because I think my car is running really rich, killing the o2 sensors. I'm about to go on my 4th one in like 2 and a half years. Every time, it was after a day of hard driving, mostly at the track. I know the V-AFC II isn't a great tuning device, but it'll solve the problem for the time being.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've actually decided to put the wideband on hold until I get the block upgrade and the supercharger, probably toward the beginning of next season. I can't afford the SC yet. I'll probably get a wideband then.

Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Team Owner

There's one on eBay right now for $1,200
Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by mrsteve
There's one on eBay right now for $1,200
I read your thread over at the CL section. I'm not taking chances on that one.