EBC Ultimaxx Rotors and Akebono ProACT pad install/Special Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up EBC Ultimaxx Rotors and Akebono ProACT pad install/Special Thanks

First and foremost, I would like to thank CHEWKNOW for his excellent DIY on rotor/pad install. His pics and the other members posts with tips to go along with it gave me the drive to tackle my front brakes this morning which were in desperate need of replacement. A surprise visit from my Pops last night who drove down to the ATL with my Moms to celebrate my birthday was a nice plus because he made me help him when he fixed our old cars drum brakes back in the day..it was nice to have him help me out and provide his brake experiences. I have done many installs on my car myself, but never had the ballz to mess with my brakes, until this morning..so CHEWKNOW, thanks man!!

So, my Pops and I tackled the brake beast this morning:

Based on some good reviews, I decided to go with the EBC Ultimaxx Rotors and the Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads. I will tackle the rears soon, they are still good.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/rotorinfo.html

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/afterma...t_brochure.pdf

I got all four rotors, front and rear pads and free 2 day ground shipping for $400.16 from AutoPartsWarehouse.com

As CHEWKNOW and others stated, having the right tools for the job makes all the difference.

Sorry, no pics of the install..CHEWKNOWS are plenty good enough.

The impact screwdriver I got from Autozone, made very quick work of my retaining screws. Some WD40 for about 5-10 min prior and 4-5 wacks of the impact screwdriver got those bad boys right out.

A breaker bar will loosen the 17mm bolts from the caliper to the chassis very quickly, glad I had one.

Rotor removal, a couple hammer wacks and it finally loosened up to pull off...drivers front install took about 45 min total time because we were taking our time...passenger side...15 min, lmfao! So easy!

Cleaned the caliper pieces with some red can brake parts cleaner from Autozone also.

Used the C-Clamp and wood block to compress the pistons back in the caliper...easy!

Got the caliper grease on all metal to metal contact points and non-threaded area of upper most and bottom most caliper bolts

Torqued back the bolts to caliper and caliper to frame with specs listed on the DIY thread.

Torqued wheels back to 80ft lbs also, very important!!

Brake fluid flush will be done soon by a hook up I have at tires plus, not trying to mess with the flush.

Took the car for a quick test run to make sure all was good and everything was whisper quiet. The black coating is almost worn off on the pad contact area of the rotor leaving the rest of it nice and black...I'll get a pic up soon once it is nice and shiny.

Anyway, the moral of this story is...I loved Acurazine back when I joined in 2003 and I love it even more now in 2008! Big ups to the individuals who take the time to help us with our cars and give us these great DIYs. I saved a lot of money today and I just wanted say THANKS, esp to you CHEWKNOW..great pics man! Sorry, I didn't have any slips with the ratchet and wack my arm like you did, I took your advice on that too

C Jitty
ATL

BTW, Here is CHEWKNOW's DIY on the rotor install https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=161652&page=1
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto

Got the same setup, same place online, followed the same DIY 2 weeks ago & want to say thanks too
Old 06-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Ackniculous One

^^small world!! So far so good, not seeing any dust at all like I did with those sorry ass EBC Green Stuffs I had.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice stuff. I got the same setup as well, but I have the Akebono Performance Street pads up front and satisfied pro ceramics for the rears.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got all four rotors, front and rear pads and free 2 day ground shipping for $400.16 from AutoPartsWarehouse.com

Ok here is my question. How in the world did you get all 4 rotors for $400, when only one is running $170!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Muhtish

Ok here is my question. How in the world did you get all 4 rotors for $400, when only one is running $170!!!
He got the blackdash USR Slotted rotors.

Not the EBC 3GD Sport Rotors.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by CJITTY

Rotor removal, a couple hammer wacks and it finally loosened up to pull off...

BTW, Here is CHEWKNOW's DIY on the rotor install https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=161652&page=1

Nice. Gotta love new brakes.

Only thing I'd note is OE Rotor removal. If they are giving you trouble here is the method recommended in the service manual:

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Learned something new while replacing my rotors. I don't recall seeing it in various DIY's (I might have missed it), but I *know* some people have taken a hammer to knock stuck rotors off the hub.

Well, you don't need to do that.

See those two holes I marked. Just screw in an M8 x 1.25 bolt in each one. Give one a couple of turns of the ratchet, then give the other a couple of turns. Keep alternating back and forth, a couple of turns at a time, until the rotor breaks loose.

Screwing the bolts in will back the rotor off the hub. Easy.
PS - Make sure the Retaining Screws are removed FIRST. :lol:
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Ackniculous One

Yeah, didn't feel like running to the store to get the right size bolts to "pop" off rotor when hard plastic mallet did the trick.

Yeah, I got the Ultimaxx Dashed Rotors and they come in pairs for the price listed. Not each, thanks the Lord!

Quick Update - After 500 miles or so, these rotors and new pads are performing very nicely!! I have absolutely no visible brake dust either and I have a 40 mile commuting day in ATL traffic. These Akebono pads seem to make virtually no dust! The sh1tty EBC Green Stuffs I had before made enough dust to darken my wheels after just one day. These rotors don't make any noise or "clicking" like some have mentioned with their slotted rotors.

So far, I would highly recommend these rotors and pads for anyone like me who wants a nice upgrade to their stock brakes. I don't race my car on the track or anything like that. If you install them yourself, you will save money for sure. This was my first time doing brakes and it was very easy. I'll never pay to have someone do my brakes again. Can't wait to put on my rears now. Brake response is very good and I was running them pretty hard and didn't notice any decrease in response or performance.

I'll try to post another update later on down the road.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VoLLy_1llusioNz
He got the blackdash USR Slotted rotors.

Not the EBC 3GD Sport Rotors.
ITS STILL NOT ADDING UP. THE REARS ARE $133 AND THE FRONTS ARE $161. THAT RIGHT THERE PUTS YOU AT $300 WITH ONE OF EACH.

ok MY BAD....JUST READ HIS POST... SORRY THEY COME IN A PAIR
Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Racer

I Am Going To Order Those Once I Get Home From Work.
How Much Were The Pads?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
'02 TL-S

I ordered the same rotors as CJITTY, based on his posts above. Just wish they would get here already!

I went with Hawk Ceramic pads too..also waiting on those.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Racer

You people are bad influence on others...just ordered same set as CJITTY.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Ackniculous One

Sorry guys! LOL! You won't regret it, still lovin em! 100% Quiet, no dust and no shakes and they stop the car very nicely. I highly recommend you torque everything back to specs, so glad I did. If I recall, the main portion of caliper that bolts to car is 80 ft lbs, the caliper portion where the pads sit and connect to the other part of caliper is 40 ft lbs and the wheels of course go back on with 80 ft lbs. 1000 miles on them and things are settling in very nicely. These pads don't require a bed in procedure, they just recommend easy driving for first 400-500 miles. I'm sure a bed in wouldn't hurt, but these are doing just fine. With my old EBC Green Stuff shit pads, my chrome wheels would have gun metal lips in about 1 day. Going on two weeks since my last wash, I have nearly no visible dust at all. If fact, when I wiped them with my finger, it was almost like just regular dust in the air, my finger didn't even really turn black. Gotta love it. Good luck with you orders guys, I hope you are pleased with these as much as I have been
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Ackniculous One

Ok, here are the latest prices and links to make it easy for others wanting this setup.

Front Left and Right Rotor Set (2 rotors) - $161.78 for the pair

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...35USR7087.html

Rear Left and Right Rotor Set (2 rotors) - $133.71 for the pair

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...35USR7194.html

Since people want different types of pads, here is the overall link to the pads for 2nd Gen TLs

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294967262+9183

Oh, and the rotors are labeled with "R" for Right (Passenger side) and "L" for Left (Drivers Side)
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
'02 TL-S

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Ok, here are the latest prices and links to make it easy for others wanting this setup.

Front Left and Right Rotor Set (2 rotors) - $161.78 for the pair

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...35USR7087.html

Rear Left and Right Rotor Set (2 rotors) - $133.71 for the pair

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...35USR7194.html

Since people want different types of pads, here is the overall link to the pads for 2nd Gen TLs

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294967262+9183

Oh, and the rotors are labeled with "R" for Right (Passenger side) and "L" for Left (Drivers Side)
How long did it take to get your rotors after you ordered them? I ordered mine on 6/25/08(from buybrakes.com) and they still haven't shipped. Im pissed to say the least.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
03' NBP TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i gotta get me some of those akebono pads!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Racer

I have ordered mine on the 3rd of July and they are delivered to my house as I work right now. oh so it took them about 4 business days. Not including the 4th of July of course!
Give them a call. I got outstanding customer service. I got free shipping and they even took $30 off and additional 10%, put me at about $60 savings! I am impressed.

now just have to install them and see if their customer service matches the greatness of the deal!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
8APW takes $8 off your order.

Just ordered mine.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Ackniculous One

Man, I ordered my stuff and one rotor set and all the pads came in about 2 days, the other set of rotors must of been slightly backordered and those came 2 days later..so 4 days all together...I was so happy! By the way, just got done with a 800 mile road trip and I'm happy to report that I had no issues with noise and best of all...no damn dust!! I'm sold on these bad boys for all my future brake needs. I would think a slotted rotor would make more dust, but maybe it is, I just ain't seeing any dust. I also had somewhat of a panic stop today and these bad boys got me to zero in short order! Hope you all are as happy with these as I am!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Ackniculous One

Ok, thought I would add some pics to show the rotors after they have been driven on for a while. They come completely black out of the box. The black is still completely intact on areas of no pad contact.

This is with about 1100 miles on them or so. It is hard to see the dashed slots because the slots are toward the top, that you can see and the other half of the slot is closer to the hub that is hidden by my wheel spokes.

I have not washed the car in about a week or 500 miles or so since my road trip and we have had a couple rain storms here in ATL. On my old EBC Green Stuff pads, when it rained it seemed like the brake dust was even more visable. These pics show that my chrome is still blinging and not gun metal!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
'02 TL-S

My rotors FINALLY showed up. Got 'em on the car and all is good with the world. Just waiting on my KYB AGX's and EBC Pro Kit to get here and she should corner a little better.

I'd show you some pics of mine but the wife went to Myrtle Beach and took all the damn cameras with her!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just checking in on the wear/tear of these specific rotors and pads since I am about to drop the coin on the full front/rear setup!!

Please give an update, CJITTY!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:40 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
cjitty's brakes are still kicking ass, he as replaced the pads a couple of months ago but the rotors are not warped and he even convinced me into getting these rotors all around.

im very satisfied
Old 09-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The pads only lasted a single year!? Should I be looking at better pads to go with these rotors?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have these they r good. the ebc 3dg's r loud and not worth the noise, i'll sell them to anyone who like the way they look for cheap