DC Sport Header Flange Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
DC Sport Header Flange Issue?

I've had the collector gaskets on my DC Header now replaced three times - and it't still leaking at the flange on the front header. The first DC-supplied gasket blew out in a couple of days. I got two more gaskets from DC, and put both of them on the front (double-gasketed), and that was good for about three weeks, but they blew out again. I knew that DC-supplied gaskets were questionable, so I finally got the copper SCE gasket from Summit Racing and had it put in on the front again last night. This one is is leaking slightly. It's gotta be the flanges. The bolts are plenty tight, but my mechanic suspects that one or both flanges (header or downpipe) might be warped just slightly.

I read ProvidenceLeaf's trials with his DC Headers, which he ultimately sold off, but he never did try the copper SCE gaskets. I bought the headers from the shop that installed the headers and is doing the gasket replaements, so if anything, they told me I can get my money back. The shop said they'll talk to DC Sports/AEM today to see if they can send a replacement header or just the downpipe (which the mechanic says he suspects may have a warped flange, although he can't see it).

Anyone have problems like this? I searched and see that anyone that had leaks fixed them with the SCE gaskets, except me. I really like the header, and it still looks great after two months of install, but this leak is so annoying!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:46 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to your local automotive store and get the O-ring crush gaskets. Those work very well and don't cost much either. Got mine at Advance Auto Parts and haven't had any problems since.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Pro

The SCE Copper gasket does have an o-ring that crushes. That's what I have in now, and there's still a slight leak.

Update: DC Sports tells me that they're considering another kind of gasket. I told them that the main problem isn't the gasket - they should have used a 3-bolt flange like the CT and XS headers use. I told them that the flange might even be warped. I was told they'll consider my input and let me know what they'll do for me.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ i said that along time ago that they needed 2 use a 3 bolt flange.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Pro

I remember that fsttyms1 - you said that if they fit your TL-S/6-speed combo, you would weld in a 3 bolt flange. Too bad the DC's don't fit the 6-speed, huh?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Yep. But im happy with the XS. Hopefully DC will make a different flange thats a 3 bolt and offer that for youguys
Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I have similar issue after installing the DC headers this afternoon. I used the copper gaskets for both front and rear but the front still has a small leak not matter how tight I screwed the bolts. I am planning to go to open up tomorrow and get a liquid gasket sealant. Not sure how long it would last.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

If you use a liquid i would strictly follow the directions no wait time to fully cure
Old 10-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If you use a liquid i would strictly follow the directions no wait time to fully cure
fsttyms1, do you know if any high temp liquid gasket would work on exhaust pipe? I went to Kragens and they carry the high temp liquid gasket for intake maniflow (sp), not for exhaust. I am not sure if they are usable.

Please advice.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

there is a liquid for exhaust (and i would use it in conjunction with the regular gasket) If i remember its orange??
Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 PM
new wheels = old school

what are your symptoms with the leak? explain to me what you are hearing/getting with the headers. i have a slight vibration/resonance at about 1750-1800 rpm's. i did purchase the copper gaskets and have just not had enough time to put them in. let me know if this is what you are getting too. thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brado
what are your symptoms with the leak? explain to me what you are hearing/getting with the headers. i have a slight vibration/resonance at about 1750-1800 rpm's. i did purchase the copper gaskets and have just not had enough time to put them in. let me know if this is what you are getting too. thanks.
The sympton I had was an actual leak. The leak was noticeable regardless of the RPM. Soon as I started the engine, it sounded differrent right away. Even my wife came to the garage to find out what was up with the noise.

Anyway, I went to NAPA and got me a tube of copper high temp liquid gasket. I reused the copper gasket (which I got from Summit Racing) since NAPA did not have any similar gasket in stock. I put on the liquid gasket on the copper gasket and installed it back. Started the car and whalla ! no more leak. I am not sure how long the liquid gasket would last but for now, I am happy. I did test drive for a while and did not notice any resonance or vibration. The engine definately sounds a little different.

So, if you plan to use the copper gasket, I would strongly suggest to add the high temp liquid gasket with the installation. It would save you a few hours of work.

I would like to talk all the members who helped me addressing my issue.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Pro

Update

DC Sports is sending me gaskets they say will be better than the ones they include with the headers. They're NOT copper ones like the SCE, but do have an o-ring that will seal better, I'm told.

I'm also told that DC Sports is working on replacing the 2-bolt flanges on the headers with 3-bolt flanges, just like Comptech's and XS's! It will take about 3 weeks, but I'll get a replacement, free of charge. I'll post pics when I get them.

I have high hopes that this will fix the leaking problem once and for all, and that the DC Sports headers will finally be viable alternative to the Comptech headers, at one-third the price.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bonknhead
DC Sports is sending me gaskets they say will be better than the ones they include with the headers. They're NOT copper ones like the SCE, but do have an o-ring that will seal better, I'm told.

I'm also told that DC Sports is working on replacing the 2-bolt flanges on the headers with 3-bolt flanges, just like Comptech's and XS's! It will take about 3 weeks, but I'll get a replacement, free of charge. I'll post pics when I get them.

I have high hopes that this will fix the leaking problem once and for all, and that the DC Sports headers will finally be viable alternative to the Comptech headers, at one-third the price.
Now the question is is DC going to replace all headers with the 2 bolt flange for a 3 bolt free of charge to every one who has leaks or are they going to make every one buy new ones?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro

That's a good question.

I wonder how many TL owners were never able to fix the exhaust leak problem, even with the SCE gaskets or high-temp gasket liquid gasket, or if they're just living with the leak. Most fixed their problems using the SCE copper gaskets. I did read that ProvidenceLeaf finally sold his DC Sports headers, and that DrCookie used high temp liquid gasket, but that's the only exceptions I've read about.

If all was OK for me using the "old" design, it would be too much of a hassle to remove the old headers to put the new ones in. That's just me. Why fix what isn't broken?

My exhaust leak problem still isn't solved, despite several attempts, but it seems like DC Sports is making a good faith effort to remedy my particular situation.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I doubt that DC Sports would replace all of the 2-bolt flange for 3-both flange deaders free of charge. They will go broke if they do that. I believe they would deal the problem on case by case basis.
So far my headers are too early to tell if they are going to leak again or not. If they start leaking again, I will definately call DC Sports and demand for new design gaskets or a set of new design headers.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Update after 3 days wth DC Sports Headers

After driving the car with new the headers for 3 days, I started to get some resonance close to 2k rpm. This happens to be the rpm level when cruising around 60-65 mph or when you taking a turn at around 15-25 mph.

What should I do to get this resonance away? I did a search but did not come up with any useful. I plan to tighten the bolts again this weekend.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Advanced

I plan on getting the DC headers and i was wondering where i can get the SCE copper gaskets for this installation. I also plan to use the rubber gaskets with them as backup. I hope this goes well becuase I really looking forward to getting them.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by joeman892
I plan on getting the DC headers and i was wondering where i can get the SCE copper gaskets for this installation. I also plan to use the rubber gaskets with them as backup. I hope this goes well becuase I really looking forward to getting them.
You can get them from www.summitracing.com Shoot me a PM and I'll find the part # for you tomorrow. I can also get you the headers too.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Found the part number.

Part#: SCE-4225 --- COLLECTOR GASKET 2 BOLT EACH

No fitment issue on DC Sports Headers. I believe the quality is good. The only thing you need to watch out is the gaskets and the connections between the headers and the downpipe.
I have to use the copper gaskets plus a high temp liquid gasket to fix my leak.
I reused the gaskets for the header which saved me some $$$.
I still have minimum resonance around 1800-1900 rpm.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:55 AM
Advanced

I was wondering if the flanges were just faulty, and that if i took something to plane down the surface and then get a perfectly level surface, that teamed with the copper gasket and/or the liquid rubber should stop all resonace. I can get the headers for $384 new, Excelerate can u do any better than that?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

I was wondering if the flanges were just faulty, and that if i took something to plane down the surface and then get a perfectly level surface, that teamed with the copper gasket and/or the liquid rubber should stop all resonace. I can get the headers for $384 new, Excelerate can u do any better than that?
Yes I am selling them for $385 shipped. I don't know if your price included shipping but mine does.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Actually i found them for 378 shipped, so i think im gonna have to go with that. These are pretty cheap to be honest, i hope the performace is compareable to the other competitors.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i hope the performace is compareable to the other competitors.
Headers are headers when it comes to performance. Quality is another matter.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Formerly blk_tl

I bought some DC ones from a vendor off this board and they did not fit. He was no help so i contacted dc/aem and after some hassling they sent me another one. Tried to put the new one on today and guess what?? It did not fit either, Im out $$ on two installations. The funny part is the cheap meagan ones i had before fit perfectly..
Old 11-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black_tl
I bought some DC ones from a vendor off this board and they did not fit. He was no help so i contacted dc/aem and after some hassling they sent me another one. Tried to put the new one on today and guess what?? It did not fit either, Im out $$ on two installations. The funny part is the cheap meagan ones i had before fit perfectly..
Not to sound like a dink but are you sure your putting them on correct? there is a front and back
Old 11-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Formerly blk_tl

yeah, i'm sure. I took it to get installed at two different places, both tried either way, neither worked.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did you verify the part number? I bought the headers from Excelerate. I did the install myself and the headers fit well for my 02 TL-S. The only issue is a small resonance. I noticed my front down pipe did not line up correctly (just a little off) with the front header. I am not sure that is the cause of the resonance. I plan to take it a part this weekend after Thanksgiving provided no relative visiting me and try to get these two sections lined up.

Does anyone know if I could reuse the copper gasket once I took the pipe apart?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:42 AM
new wheels = old school

yes, the copper gaskets are reusable.

to black_tl, if you had problems with the rear manifold it was probably the same problem i had. you have to unbolt the rear engine/tranny mount to get the rear manifold to fit onto the engine. be sure to tell the shop that because it took my friends and i a couple hours to figure just that out. if it's not the rear manifold, then i dont know.

check with the shops and see if it was the rear. good luck and let me know if you need more help.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Formerly blk_tl

The problem seemed to be that one of the manifolds would not bolt up to the downpipe. You can bolt the front one, or the back one but not both together: (. It was like an inch off.
Also, I check the part number twice.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Cruisin'

Hey...join the club...lol..I had the same issue with DC Sports Headers...for some reason they werent fitting. I called my suppiler from Planetperformance.com
I told them what the issus was, and had to tell him off, about them. So i ordered another set witch fit perfectly no problems, but the Exhaust manafold still leaked on the left side on the front manafold. I sent my old ones back and still havent got my money back dam u DC..... OK what was the liquid i can use to stop the leak or its a gaskit. What site can i get if from and what size......thanks good luck to u all.

2003 3.2TL
AEM Cold Air Intake
DC Sports Headers
TEIN Basic Coilovers
NEUSPEED Anti sway bars
HID lights from Japan
17’’ Light weight wheels
Custom Exhaust all the way 2.25inch with Cherry Bombs Mufflers
Old 12-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SHIFT4SPEED
Hey...join the club...lol..I had the same issue with DC Sports Headers...for some reason they werent fitting. I called my suppiler from Planetperformance.com
I told them what the issus was, and had to tell him off, about them. So i ordered another set witch fit perfectly no problems, but the Exhaust manafold still leaked on the left side on the front manafold. I sent my old ones back and still havent got my money back dam u DC..... OK what was the liquid i can use to stop the leak or its a gaskit. What site can i get if from and what size......thanks good luck to u all.

2003 3.2TL
AEM Cold Air Intake
DC Sports Headers
TEIN Basic Coilovers
NEUSPEED Anti sway bars
HID lights from Japan
17’’ Light weight wheels
Custom Exhaust all the way 2.25inch with Cherry Bombs Mufflers
Just get some silicone high temp gasket. It is red/orange in color. And DC Sports has re-designed the headers to have a 3 bolt flange now so there won't be any more leaks.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced

hmm where can you find the headers with the 3 bolt flange? i JUST bought mine and i have 2 bolt flanges and i havent installed them yet. please tell me asap and how much more they are charging. thank you.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

DC doesnt have a 3 bolt flange
Old 01-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Hold the onions

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
DC doesnt have a 3 bolt flange
I went to the DC website and saw that it does have 3 bolt flanges for Part #: HHC5522 which is for 2nd Gen TL. I just ordered mine today and arriving in 2 days. Hopefully it is 3 bolts and I won't have leak or resonance problems wish me luck guys.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
^ what website you talking about? The AEM one? Cause I think that's just a generic picture... I didn't think DC would release the new batch (if there is such a thing) with 3 bolt flanges so soon.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Pro

They did start putting 3-bolt flanges on their headers (HHC5522). In fact, I have a set at home that I haven't installed yet, because the "old" 2-bolt flange style headers are doing OK (so far) with the new gaskets DC Sport sent me about 2 months ago. Right now, I don't want to "fix what isn't broken".

I'll take some pics later and post them.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

How did you get AEM to send you a new headers? I need a new one to get rid of my resonance. It is getting worse now.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM
new wheels = old school

did you order another set bonknhead, or did they just send you another set? thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by drcookie
How did you get AEM to send you a new headers? I need a new one to get rid of my resonance. It is getting worse now.
did you order another set bonknhead, or did they just send you another set? thanks.
I've been talking to their Tech Support for many months, telling them about my repeated, although futile, efforts to fix the leaking problem (aka resonance), which included three sets of gaskets - two sets of their gaskets, and the SCE copper ones.

In my discussions with Tech Support on how to fix this, I hypothesized that the reason that I and other folks have this leaking problem is due to the 2-bolt flange design. I pointed out that Comptech uses a 3-bolt flange design. I must've told this to at least two of their support guys, and soon thereafter I was told they would produce a 3-bolt flange design.

In the meantime, they sent me a third set of gaskets which were very different from ones that are included with the headers. These new gaskets are much thicker and have a metal o-ring. I put a picture of them on another thread. So far so good, but only more time will tell. I was told that these gaskets should tie me over until the 3-bolt design is complete, and I would get a replacement.

Although the new gaskets were working fine, I asked about the replacement headers a few more times. I was finally emailed that they would send me a set. I said that would be fine, but asked, "how would I recoup my cost to have these new headers installed?" (I had a shop install them for me), and what do I do about the "old style" (2-bolt flange) headers? I was told that I needed to either send the old headers back to them. So, more costs to be incurred. Costs that I feel I didn't have to pay!

I asked for a supervisor, and was transferred to his voicemail. I never did hear back from DC Sport, either in email or via phone since, but over the Christmas/New Year holidays, a new set of headers was sent to my office!

I don't know if anyone will be able to get new headers for their old ones. I would think that they would send you the new style gaskets.

So I'm wondering - the old 2-bolt flange design headers are working fine (for now, maybe forever), yet I was sent a set of headers for free. I don't want to pay to have these installed (about $150), nor do I want to pay to ship the old ones back (maybe another $25?). I actually never ordered these headers, so I don't know if I'm legally bound to pay for them. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: DC Sport Header Flange Issue?