Can't Decide Which Rotors & Pads To Get!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't Decide Which Rotors & Pads To Get!!

I am soon going to get new front slotted rotors and new pads all around (the front rotors are the only ones warped, and will wait until back ones go until I get new ones... short on funds). I still can't decide which ones to get.

I've got it down to either Rotora rotors with EBC Greenstuff pads (from vendor Excelerate) or Racingbrake rotors with Hawk HPS pads (from vendor MrHeelToe) up front because I have heard nothing but good things about them both. The Rotoras and EBC pads are slightly cheaper.

Also, when I do choose the setup, should I just get the same pads in the back for the OEM rotors? For example get the EBC's for rear if I go with Rotora and EBC up front or get Hawk HPS if I go with Racingbrake and Hawk up front, or should I mix and match? Would EBC Greenstuff or Hawk HPS pads work good with OEM rotors?

All of your expertise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, KSuchdeve
Old 03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had rotoras and rotora pads
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
You can use any of those pads with the OEM rotor or any OEM pad with the ROTORA rotors. It just depends on if you want to match them up or not. If you want you could get ROTORA Slotted rotors with ROTORA ceramic pads to save some more $ and get rear ROTORA ceramic pads. They are similar to the OEM compound b/c they are ceramic but they perform better. The compount is a little more "aggressive". EBC Greenstuffs are know for low dust and little noise. Hawks are semi metallic and have more of a bite but a little more dust. I have those too as an option.

In the end go with the ROTORA's.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
For your situation:

I like the NAPA auto parts rear rotors- the American Made ones for 18 bucks
each and run Hawk HPS pads.
Fronts- RacingBrake rotors from MrHeelToe with Hawk Pads
The cooling vent design on the RBs is trick and very hi-tech plus functional
See the Off Topic Sposored Sales from Excellerate and MrHeelToe
Both excellent vendors
Tech info see these sights
www.hawkperformance.com
www.racingbrake.com

It is my opinion that the OE rotors and pads are not up to the needs of many drivers!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:57 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors & Pads

I had my oil changed two months ago and I was told I needed new brakes, front and back. Now a friend of mine who is a mechanic hasn't seen the vehicle but asked me to let him know model, etc. so he can order them. How do I know if I reallly need all new brakes or just grinding, bleeding, etc. It's a 2003 TL and I have 31,000 miles on it. I bought it new in July 2002 so it's going on five years old. Is that around the time you need new brakes? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:37 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
For your situation:

I like the NAPA auto parts rear rotors- the American Made ones for 18 bucks
each and run Hawk HPS pads.
Fronts- RacingBrake rotors from MrHeelToe with Hawk Pads
The cooling vent design on the RBs is trick and very hi-tech plus functional
See the Off Topic Sposored Sales from Excellerate and MrHeelToe
Both excellent vendors
Tech info see these sights
www.hawkperformance.com
www.racingbrake.com

It is my opinion that the OE rotors and pads are not up to the needs of many drivers!
What is the difference between the TS, NB, and UP? It doesn't say anything in their description.
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...d=3&SubCatId=4

Here's a breakdown of prices that I have so far, for my vehicle.

Rotora front rotors and EBC Greenstuff front and back - $337.84 shipped
Racingbrake front rotors and Hawk HPS front and back - $306 shipped for up front rotors and pads
(I am waiting to hear back on individual price of Hawk HPS pads for rear)

If it is not too much more, I think I will go with the Racingbrake up front, NAPA in rear, and Hawk HPS all around. Should come out to about $400.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edelvecchio
I had my oil changed two months ago and I was told I needed new brakes, front and back. Now a friend of mine who is a mechanic hasn't seen the vehicle but asked me to let him know model, etc. so he can order them. How do I know if I reallly need all new brakes or just grinding, bleeding, etc. It's a 2003 TL and I have 31,000 miles on it. I bought it new in July 2002 so it's going on five years old. Is that around the time you need new brakes? Please let me know. Thanks.
Where did you get your oil changed? With only 31k, you shouldn't need new rotors. However, these rotors have been known to crap(warp) out a little early.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

KS
Thats what I am running
The NAPA rear rotors with Hawk HPS pads I bought at Pepboys for $58
The fronts are Racing Brake with Hawk HPS- bought the combo pack from MrHeelToe

As for the napa parts descriptions- I just went into the store, they said Chinese $17 American Made $18, I said American please and got a AAA discount too!
Still have to pull a wheel off and see if the same maker markings are on the rear brake casting as the fronts.
I know Racing Brake is the performance division of a company that makes OE brake parts for many cars made in America- want to see if these are them!

Love the combo, stops great, minimal dust on wheels, no noise, I could go on and on.
The box even had a nice RB hat in it!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

When I was putting the fronts on, a neighbor who is Army Jet Helicopter Mechanic stopped by, I was explaing the inner cooling, convergent vane technology and how its opposite of any other rotors made, and how bigger inlets at the core and smaller outlet squeezes the air and makes it hot as it leaves- keeping the disc temp equal across its surface.

He smiled knowingly and asked if they make rotors for his Mustang.

On the NAPA rotors- for fun- clean and paint the exposed bare metal in the center
Then it will match the fronts.
There is black coating applied to everything -already double ground off the brake surface so they are ready to go
In the rotor slots it will be gone when you get back from the bedding in the pads procedure
Enjoy you superior stopping power!
I know I do