Black Flame Customs and Lightwerkz Custom Retrofit 99-01 Headlights Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Flame Customs and Lightwerkz Custom Retrofit 99-01 Headlights Review

First I bought a complete set from Black Flame Customs, customized with HID System, flat black paint, halos, and LED strips, but the quality and craftsmanship was a disappointment, I couldn't resolve any issues with them. Posted in another thread.

I received two boxes from them, shipped with UPS, which was not well protected at all. No bubble wrap and memory foam to protect the headlights, just cardboard and paper stuffing. In the boxes, their were two headlights, screws for the halo box mount, heat shrink wraps for the wires, and a letter explaining how to install and why there were black tape on the headlights and saying that it was normal. I was surprised by this because the final pictures before they sent me had no black tape around the headlights.

The headlights had black tape around them, wires wasn't heat shielded and no splicing kit was provided, driver projector was loose and HID system on the passenger was being iffy and then just died out. I just had too many problems with their retrofit. Their company does not seem to take pride in their work and seems like they cut a lot of corners just to save themselves money.

The second set, I had to send in my old one, was from Lightwerkz, customize with flat black paint, headlight restore, and halos. Their build quality and craftsmanship is amazing, they are skilled and take pride in their work. I have no complaints so far.

I received a huge box from them, shipped with UPS, in that box were two small boxes and memory foam to protect the boxes. In those two smaller boxes, the headlights were in them and lots of protection from keeping them from damaged during shipping. The wires on the headlights were heat shielded and were pre-spliced and made it very easy to install on the user's end.

Now for the pictures!

Here are the Lightwerkz retrofitted headlights, wires are protected, pre-spliced kit installed, no black tape around the headlights, and halos are also aligned correctly. Looks very professional.

Here are the Black Flame Customs retrofitted headlights, wires are not protected, no splicing kit, black tape around the headlights, halos are not aligned and the projectors seemed point downwards make the headlights look weird and awkward.

Here is the LWZ passenger's front, nice and clean.

Here is the BFC passenger's front, pretty messy, black tape, awkward projector aiming, and mis-aligned halos.

Here is the LWZ passenger's front, close up on the projector and angel eyes, nice, clean and aligned.

Here is the BFC passenger's front, close up on the projector and angel eyes, they are slanted and not and aligned like the Lightwerkz retrofitted headlights.

Here is the LWZ passenger's front side.

Here is the BFC passenger's front side.

Here are the LWZ wires, very clean and professional looking.

Here are the BFC passenger side wires, the wire on the left side is the LED strip wire, which should have been protected since it was extremely thin, the heat from power steering pump melted the wires and blew my parking light / turn signals fuse. The HID wire seem to also have melted, I don't know how that could've happen but that explains why my HID system on my passenger went out.

Here is the LWZ passenger's back, they included their own weather caps!

Here is the BFC passenger's back, no weather caps here, had to use my old ones.

Here is the BFC passenger's bottom, I wasn't expecting this but the headlight is partially opened! I believed this was probably due to it not sealing correctly because of a rush job, very disappointing.

Here is the BFC passenger's bottom again close up on the opening.

Here is the BFC passenger's HID system.

Here is the LWZ driver's front.

Here is the BFC driver's front, as you can see there is a piece of putty inside of the headlight, black tape around the headlight and the wires are NOT protected at all and are very thin.

Here is the LWZ driver's front close up.

Here is the BFC driver's front close up, you can see the putty/clay piece right beside the projector and you can also see the alignment of the angel eyes and projector, it is slanted and not and aligned.

Here is the LWZ driver's front side.

Here is the BFC driver's front side.

Here is the LWZ driver's back.

Here is the BFC driver's back, again as you can see the wires are not protected from the heat inside the engine bay at all!

Here is the BFC driver's back close up on the projector where I did my epoxy repair, this is how much putty/clay they put on this thing compared to the passenger side.

Here is the BFC driver's side bottom.

Here are the LWZ headlights at night.

Here are the BFC headlights at night.

Here are the LWZ headlights at night with halos and parking lights.

Here are the BFC headlights at night with LED strips, halos, and parking lights.

Here is the LWZ beam pattern.

Here is the BFC beam pattern.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
glad you opted to not go with the bottom row of LED's on the new set..

looks much cleaner without them.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Didn't you already try to beat down BFC? You made no attempt to let them fix their mistakes. Why are you doing this round again?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
the retrofit looks really clean ... great work
Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
holy cow that retro is clean as hell!!!!!!! How much did the retrofit run you? I emailed them for a quote to put 2rd gen TL projectors in there and they told me 680 labor, shrouds and clear lens upgrade.. and I already had the projectors too...

These look like the Morimoto D2S or the MH1?

Also, do you have any day time shots of them ? It looks like you had a SSM and I was realy on the fence about blacking out my entire housing like you did for my retro vs leaving it chrome.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aman
Didn't you already try to beat down BFC? You made no attempt to let them fix their mistakes. Why are you doing this round again?

This is a review and comparision between the two sets if you haven't read.

Originally Posted by swllen_cu
holy cow that retro is clean as hell!!!!!!! How much did the retrofit run you? I emailed them for a quote to put 2rd gen TL projectors in there and they told me 680 labor, shrouds and clear lens upgrade.. and I already had the projectors too...

These look like the Morimoto D2S or the MH1?

Also, do you have any day time shots of them ? It looks like you had a SSM and I was realy on the fence about blacking out my entire housing like you did for my retro vs leaving it chrome.
About $1400. I had the priority service, 5000k HID bulbs, and a stage 1 headlight restore, so that up the price a bit. I went with flat black because I was going to repaint my TL to a pearl white. The projectors are FX-Rs.

I will post the daytime shots soon. My color is actually HMM. Black makes the car aggressive, thats why I went with it.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
damn i wish i had that much disposable income...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
dude spent $2500 on two sets of headlights..
Old 04-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
OMG The BFC Retrofit seems to be Done by some Elementary´s with a Stick and Fork!!
The Lightwerkz seems Alot better why would you even care about buying another Set?? And Specially why NOT from the same Company if you Had some great Results???

HOLY COW!! 2500 for Headlights! Im Hesitating in buying a 600 bucks Cat-back lol.... 2500 bucks for Headlights has to be a Crime in some States.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Brad

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
dude spent $2500 on two sets of headlights..
Gotta pay to play.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
^ yeah but not $2500...
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

It seems like BFC tried to HIDE their poor quality and craftsmanship and took my pictures down by putting a copyright infringement on my flickr account because I used a couple of their pictures that they sent to me of my headlights. What a shady company. Pics will be back up shorty...
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Damn thats dirty, put them on FaceBook.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

REPOST Due to Black Flame Customs trying to take down my account due to copyright infringement because I used pictures of my headlights that they sent to me!

First I bought a complete set from Black Flame Customs, customized with HID System, flat black paint, halos, and LED strips, but the quality and craftsmanship was a disappointment, I couldn't resolve any issues with them. Posted in another thread.

I received two boxes from them, shipped with UPS, which was not well protected at all. No bubble wrap and memory foam to protect the headlights, just cardboard and paper stuffing. In the boxes, their were two headlights, screws for the halo box mount, heat shrink wraps for the wires, and a letter explaining how to install and why there were black tape on the headlights and saying that it was normal. I was surprised by this because the final pictures before they sent me had no black tape around the headlights.

The headlights had black tape around them, wires wasn't heat shielded and no splicing kit was provided, driver projector was loose and HID system on the passenger was being iffy and then just died out. I just had too many problems with their retrofit. Their company does not seem to take pride in their work and seems like they cut a lot of corners just to save themselves money.

The second set, I had to send in my old one, was from Lightwerkz, customize with flat black paint, headlight restore, and halos. Their build quality and craftsmanship is amazing, they are skilled and take pride in their work. I have no complaints so far.

I received a huge box from them, shipped with UPS, in that box were two small boxes and memory foam to protect the boxes. In those two smaller boxes, the headlights were in them and lots of protection from keeping them from damaged during shipping. The wires on the headlights were heat shielded and were pre-spliced and made it very easy to install on the user's end.

Now for the pictures!

Here are the Lightwerkz retrofitted headlights, wires are protected, pre-spliced kit installed, no black tape around the headlights, and halos are also aligned correctly. Looks very professional.

Here are the Black Flame Customs retrofitted headlights, wires are not protected, no splicing kit, black tape around the headlights, halos are not aligned and the projectors seemed point downwards make the headlights look weird and awkward.

Here is the LWZ passenger's front, nice and clean.

Here is the BFC passenger's front, pretty messy, black tape, awkward projector aiming, and mis-aligned halos.

Here is the LWZ passenger's front, close up on the projector and angel eyes, nice, clean and aligned.

Here is the BFC passenger's front, close up on the projector and angel eyes, they are slanted and not and aligned like the Lightwerkz retrofitted headlights.

Here is the LWZ passenger's front side.

Here is the BFC passenger's front side.

Here are the LWZ wires, very clean and professional looking.

Here are the BFC passenger side wires, the wire on the left side is the LED strip wire, which should have been protected since it was extremely thin, the heat from power steering pump melted the wires and blew my parking light / turn signals fuse. The HID wire seem to also have melted, I don't know how that could've happen but that explains why my HID system on my passenger went out.

Here is the LWZ passenger's back, they included their own weather caps!

Here is the BFC passenger's back, no weather caps here, had to use my old ones.

Here is the BFC passenger's bottom, I wasn't expecting this but the headlight is partially opened! I believed this was probably due to it not sealing correctly because of a rush job, very disappointing.

Here is the BFC passenger's bottom again close up on the opening.

Here is the LWZ driver's front.

Here is the BFC driver's front, as you can see there is a piece of putty inside of the headlight, black tape around the headlight and the wires are NOT protected at all and are very thin.

Here is the LWZ driver's front close up.

Here is the BFC driver's front close up, you can see the putty/clay piece right beside the projector and you can also see the alignment of the angel eyes and projector, it is slanted and not and aligned.

Here is the LWZ driver's front side.

Here is the BFC driver's front side.

Here is the LWZ driver's back.

Here is the BFC driver's back, again as you can see the wires are not protected from the heat inside the engine bay at all!

Here is the BFC driver's back close up on the projector where I did my epoxy repair, this is how much putty/clay they put on this thing compared to the passenger side.

Here is the BFC driver's side bottom.

Here are the LWZ headlights at night.

Here are the BFC headlights at night.

Here are the LWZ headlights at night with halos and parking lights.

Here are the BFC headlights at night with LED strips, halos, and parking lights.

Here is the LWZ beam pattern.

Here is the BFC beam pattern.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
what happened to all the posts?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 PM
~~~ SKY'S THE LIMIT ~~~

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
wow----those fuckin people at black flame customes should have there knee caps busted up with a baseball bat for sending you a headlight with the bottom of it OPENED up like that

i mean really-----come on----how can you put out work like that and expect for people not to talk shit and post bad comments about them

they should be SHUT THE FUCK DOWN and BEAT THE FUCK DOWN
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Okay you win. That work is really unacceptable. I think the putty inside the headlight ist he worst. Apologies for coming off so strong in my previous post.

FWIW it looks like BFC's headlights have a slightly better light spread

At least you're happy now.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Here's the pics of retrofits before shipment....
http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2011/...on-conversion/

Last edited by thewrangler99; 04-26-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
http://www.lightwerkz.net/review.php
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
should have just send them to me ^^

http://www.theforumretrofitters.com/...ters/Home.html
Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear

Damn am i glad im hearing this now cuz i almost went with BFC for those headlights. Thanks for informing us my dude.