Anyone looking for new headers steer clear of Megan

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone looking for new headers steer clear of Megan

I just want to make sure that no one else makes the same mistake that I did. I had mine installed by an experienced shop, and now there is a very loud and irritating hiss under any type of acceleration. I took it back to the shop and they pulled it apart, resealed and retightened every bolt, but with no improvements. After reading a long thread about others with the same problems from their Megan headers, it makes me wish I had just spent the extra cash on good headers. Don't make the same mistake I did, just spend a few more bucks on an alphawerks or comparable header.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

yup the same happened to me. the guys at the shop were baffled on why there was a hiss. i felt bad not mentioning the resonance problems but they relaly had no idea.

what i did was get a short ram intake, teh sound from the intake pretty much kill the resonance.....i do like the gains from the headers but that hissing sound is FUCKING ANNOYING!!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ive had no problems from mine yet...had it since the beginning of summer...mines the 3rd batch...
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
should i spend more in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought there was a 4th batch that cleared up all those issues. I was considering buying some. Which batch did yours come from Sust man and 41510TL?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:00 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the hiss is nothing new. this has been known about for some time. although i will say that mine is not very bad. it also helps that i wrapped the headers. i'm really happy with my megans. i'm sorry to hear you were having those problems, but be warned that most of the headers available to use that aren't comptech have had issues. maybe some day i'll give into 'the man' and buy some overpriced comptechs myself.

SSTS
Old 10-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Instructor

I don't know what batch they are, but I have had them for around a year almost. I only payed $235 shipped off of ebay. You get what you pay for I guess.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:16 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been through two TLs and one set of megan headers...

The 2nd batch fit on my 99TL perfectly, however there was a hissing noise.. The noise was fixed by adding some liquid gasket to all of the joints except the header/engine connection point.

I had taken advantage of Megan's replacment downpipe offer even though my downpipe fit, I wasn't sure if it would cause problems in the future, always better to have an extra one..

When I upgraded to the TL-S I swapped the headers over... They barely fit, I had to fight the headers into position and they were a little short. I was able to bolt them together, but they were tight.. Knowing I had an extra downpipe I decided to give it a try and see if the fitment was any better. Suprisingly it fit perfectly!! No fighting at all aligning the pipes, or bolting them up.

I still have a hissing issue but that's because I am using my origional gaskets, they will be replaced in the next few weeks...

I can understand your frustration with the headers, you should attempt to fix them yourself, I was able to do it on my 99TL and I know I will be able to fix the hissing on my new car.

Don't bad mouth Megan, they have been very good working to fix this problem, and if you contact them directly you will find out yourself, they won't tell you to "f-off" or "tough-luck" they'll try to work with you.

Plus if you're bitching about the cost, the megans were origionally sold for 189USD, the next cheapest brand of header at that point was more than double that cost.. did you expect to get the Megans and have them flawless? They were an introductory price for a reason.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Instructor

I wasnt bitching about the cost. I said you get what you pay for, which would imply that I didnt pay much. Also, I PMed the guy who started the whole header warranty thread (I guess he works for Megan), and got no reply. And yes I do expect to not have any issues from a new product. I expect to get a product that does what it is supposed to do. Not last long, maybe. Not get as much horsepower, maybe. But a header is not supposed to leak, no matter how cheap it is.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Racer

First of all, Im the guy that you pmed. I dont work for Megan. I stated in the thread clearly. I am clearly the owners friend and was doing his a favor because I realized the problem on my own car. Im sorry I dont go on the forum often enough to reply pms everyday. I simply have too much to worry about from school.

You stated in your pm that you dont have the orginal receipt nor the warranty card or any type of proof of purchase. You only have the installation receipt which really does me no good. I remember almost a year ago when people were selling old batches of megan with the name scraped out. On the listing, it clearly stated no warranty nor the name of Megan. Now Im not saying you got one of those, but with absolutely no proof how do you expect me to help you? Dont come here started bashing the name when you have no proof of purcahse.

Also the hissing sound was stated in many threads as the result of utilizing a deiffernt type of metal. It has nothing to do with leak.

Megan was kind enough doing replacement downpipes for everything who purchased a legit set from a legit vendor. I dont see anyone else doing that.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

So I cant complain about a product I purchased because I dont have a receipt? Why doesnt Megan charge me for a header, ship it to me, and then refund my money when I send them back my old Megan header in the Megan box (both say Megan Racing on them). I just assumed that because your thread said: "even if you are passed the warranty period, feel free to contact me because you are covered" and "-proof of receipt(can be from ebay or vendor)" that I would probaby be ok. So, if I cant get a replacement because I have no receipt, then fine, I can't bitch too much about that. But I would like to save others from getting a bad deal, because that is one of the great things about this board: other people can save you time and money on products that they have already tested. Also, I believe most people who buy off of ebay do not get receipts. If a product that you stated is covered outside of the warranty period, then the simple fact that I have a megan header on my car should be proof enough that I bought one. When a TL tranny goes out under the 100K warranty, does Acura ask for a receipt before covering the defect? The emblem on the back of the car proves that you bought an Acura. Don't take this as a flame toward you just because you didnt return my PM. I did not know that you did not work for Megan. But I believe that I have a right just like anyone else on this board to state my opinion, and spending almost 400 dollars on a product with install gives me the right to complain.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Racer

You have every single right to complain. If the product is shitty then go ahead and flame. But you are complainging about not getting a replaement, not just simply a shitty product. Everything needs to go through a process. The process doesnt go through backwards. This has nothing to do with driving the tl to the dealer asking for a new tranny. Your best bet would be to find the paypal or credit card receipt on ebay. Which I am sure your paypal account will have it saved. Find the warranty card that came with the header and call megan for help. Without even a proof of purcahse, theres really nothing you can do. My comments end here. Going any further is irrelevant if a proof of purchase is not there.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sust Man
I just want to make sure that no one else makes the same mistake that I did. I had mine installed by an experienced shop, and now there is a very loud and irritating hiss under any type of acceleration. I took it back to the shop and they pulled it apart, resealed and retightened every bolt, but with no improvements. After reading a long thread about others with the same problems from their Megan headers, it makes me wish I had just spent the extra cash on good headers. Don't make the same mistake I did, just spend a few more bucks on an alphawerks or comparable header.

I concur, don't do it!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:08 AM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

I got the lil hissing prob, but its not that bad when you got a CAI and exhuast
I had a rattle prob which i fixed, that was pissing me off, but it was one lil bolt missing on the heat shield on the cat. Once that problem was gone, I was a veryyy happy camper for paying only like 175 for them. They also sent me a new downpipe for the oil pan clearance prob.

Just get an intake and exhaust and it'll solve the prob lol.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Racer

i got the batch 4s and for the price u cant beat it, the hissing/resonance is there due to the fact instead of heavy cast iron like the stocks, you are using ligh stainless steel, try headerwrap to lower the sound a bit and be happy u gained some extra power without dropping your whole bank account on some over priced comptechs
Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Where should I get headerwrap, and can I put it on myself?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Racer

summit racing sells it and satinsilvertyps did a thread on it do a search it should be here somewhere
Old 11-07-2005, 07:28 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
summit racing sells it and satinsilvertyps did a thread on it do a search it should be here somewhere
here is the thread i started on that topic. i bought my wrap from summit and put it on in about 30 minutes. worth every penny! i have no resonance and minor hissing. good luck!

SSTS
Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 PM
2006 TL-S.C. 6mt

HEY GUYS, i have a batch 4 on my S, and they had to cut a small notch in the front cross member bec under torque the headers would rub on it making an awful vibrating noise and you could feel it, fixed that, now u hear the "HISSSS" but i think it sounds fuckin AWESOME
like a blower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont wine i can feel a ton more power and paid 200 shipped comptechs are still not worth it
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Comptech Freak

comptech is not overpriced, coz u always can sell it for a good money

dunno about the megans, but personally i only trust comptech and i recommend it since it really worths the money, and give me no headache
Old 11-09-2005, 06:57 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by samkws
comptech is not overpriced, coz u always can sell it for a good money

dunno about the megans, but personally i only trust comptech and i recommend it since it really worths the money, and give me no headache
i used to say the same thing until i had all my comptech springs AND my comptech swaybars break and they refused to do anything about it. i've been nothing but happy with my megans, but i can sympathize with others who have issues.

in all honesty if i had the money i most likely would have bought the comptech headers. if you think about it though, yes you can sell the headers for $700-$800 but you're still taking a $400-$500 hit, and i don't know about alot of other people but i don't plan on selling my headers anyway. not to say that plans don't change, but i just don't think that factor plays out in peoples minds. i imagine i could sell my megans for $150, give or take. then i would only have to take a $100-$150 hit. just seems more logical since i got the same horsepower gains anyway. but in the end this is merely my opinion.

SSTS
Old 11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 03TL_S
HEY GUYS, i have a batch 4 on my S, and they had to cut a small notch in the front cross member bec under torque the headers would rub on it making an awful vibrating noise and you could feel it, fixed that, now u hear the "HISSSS" but i think it sounds fuckin AWESOME
like a blower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont wine i can feel a ton more power and paid 200 shipped comptechs are still not worth it
Thing is if the hiss is actually a leak, they you are most likely loosing HP that would otherwise be made by the headers. The hiss is something you dont get from the comptech, Pluss you get perfect fitment with the comptech, something that all the other knockoffs have had a hard time achieving, Leaving the comptechs worth the money!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:29 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Thing is if the hiss is actually a leak, they you are most likely loosing HP that would otherwise be made by the headers. The hiss is something you dont get from the comptech, Pluss you get perfect fitment with the comptech, something that all the other knockoffs have had a hard time achieving, Leaving the comptechs worth the money!
the hiss isn't a leak. this has been proven to be a characteristic of megan exhaust products, and not just on the TL. a friend of mine has a 300ZX twin turbo with some megan pipes underneath. the hiss is loud and clear on his too.

i gotta be honest that the hiss doesn't bother me at all. i think it's kind of wierd that so many people on the forum here wig out when they hear it. but to me it's like 'who cares?' since it's only pronounced during accelleration. besides, if you had a supercharger you would hear a whining sound all the time. take your pick.

yet again we continue the eternal debate on whether comptechs are worth the money or not. let me solve this for some people: yes! comptechs are worth every penny you pay for them! do i own megans? yes! and they are worth every penny i payed for them!

is this a typo? no. my point being that if i had $1200 to spend you bet your ass i would have bought comptechs. it's obvious comptech is an accomplished and perfection oriented company (with the exception of my crappy comptech springs and swaybars which both broke), but i didn't have the extra money around so i bought megans. am i happy with them? you bet i am. i still dynoed an extra 19whp, so i got my money's worth considering it only cost me $200.

now don't get me wrong here. i'm not taking sides and i'm not flaming anyone who bought OBX, Comptech, Megans, Alphawerks or whichever brand. but given that comptechs cost most people a single paycheck and the other brands don't, then is it worth it for the discounted price to put up with some imperfections if you're still going to get the same amount of power gains? that's up to the individual to decide now isn't it?

just my

SSTS
Old 11-14-2005, 04:47 PM
All go, no show

^^ I agree totally. That's really all there is to this whole header debate. Megan is the best bang for your buck, but you'll have to live with the weird sounds it makes.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:50 PM
My baby's daddy

so... from what I gather, the sound is a resonance from the thin stainless that can be partially remedied by wrapping the headers with header wrap.

Tomorrow I drop off my (new to me) 02 S to get a new transmission (assumingly). With my 99 TL-P, I could resist mods. Perhpas I shouldn't have made the switch. Now I'm thinking _headers_ yeah baby

For less then $300, it sounds like a mod that is worth a try. If I hate it, I can always return to stock right?

Thanks for all the info