3000K HID Foglight install..PICS!! 56K..think again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 AM
2003 TL-S A-SPEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, i told myself i would leave my car stock .... this is almost too good to pass up on though.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Muhtish
ok so you got just the ballast and the bulbs is that right (of course with wiring)? Because if you ask me, ur foglights look entirely stock.
I have been thinking about doing HID for foglights and so far haven't seen any for 2001 TL.
I have to say that yours look very clean and a nice write up is a plus too.
Well since the 99-01 TLs don't have fog lights, you can't install a plug-and-play kit because there is no fog light housing. If you mold some Civic fog lights onto your bumper, you would be able to then install an HID kit, assuming there is enough room behind the fog light.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:02 PM
.a BUM with SMG...

hey guys , wat if i jus bought the 8500k HID FOGLIGHT bulbs , so i need th ballast to make it on right ? and can some one show me wher to get the ballast from ?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by azn_xxxd
hey guys , wat if i jus bought the 8500k HID FOGLIGHT bulbs , so i need th ballast to make it on right ? and can some one show me wher to get the ballast from ?
Yes you will need ballasts. Search Ebay..

And Why 8500k?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Rich

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All HID need ballast.
Go to ebay.
You better off buy a kit for it (bulbs,wiring,and the ballast)
Fsttyms1 right.
Why 8500k?
8500K has alot less lights (less bright).
Go with 4300K-6000K
4300K put out the most lights/lumens.
I just put 4300K on the fog lights (like the factory headlights), and it's freaking bright.
I love it...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
looks REAL good man... nice job
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the instructions. I'll be picking my 6000K's tonight.

Since it should be all plug and play, I'm wondering if I can simply plug the new ballast and wiring to all the old ones. Or do i need do a direct replacement with the new & old foglight wiring.

Any additional tips from you guys would be great since I'm a newbie to electrical wirings under my car.

I have only done my fog light bulb replacements before but never a HID kit.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I got them from a group buy on another forum, but there are some vendors here that sell them. I think member Excelerate can get them, can't remember the others.

I am not a big fan of the bulbs that come with the cheaper kits like Techone, but I ordered a D2R/D2S/D2C wire harness from Ebay so I could use genuine Philips bulbs that were rebased for 9006 fitment. Its all plug n play, just using OEM bulbs that fit right into the fog housing without modification. I no longer have the yellow fog bulbs, I am using the OEM 4100K Philips bulb. One exception, they are D2S not D2R bulbs like our headlights. The D2S bulbs put out more light and will work better for our fog housing. The rebased bulbs put the focal point of the light intensity right at or very near stock halogens which results in brighter farther reaching and wider light for our housings.

The D2R/D2S/D2C harness simply has the pos and neg pigtail connections on one end and the D2R/D2S/D2C style bulb connection on the other. The pigtails connect right to the aftermarket ballast like Techone. If you search on ebay for "D2R/D2S/D2C harness" or "D2R Wire Harness" you should find it. We can't post links to ebay here.

Then, do a "D2S rebased 9006" search on ebay to find the Philips bulbs. Make sur e the sellers bulbs actually have the O ring on there. It will prevent moisture from getting in. That's another issue with 9006 HID kits, the bulb fitment is not that tight. Some are, some aren't.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I would update.
post pics of the new color.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^
Sorry, I got the yellows back in. Actually, I was too damn lazy to swap the 3000K yellows back to the 4300K whites this summer, so the yellows have been in for quite a while now. I don't have any pics of the 4300K unfortunately.

Muhtish, yes. All I did was plug n play with my stock fog light wiring. The plug for the fog bulb provides the power signal for the ballast (each side). The other end of the ballast wiring connects to the new HID bulb. It is a stupidly simple install if you ask me. To be honest, I had a tougher time changing bulbs on my low beam HID headlights than installing this HID fog system..those fukkin headlight spring clips are a major pain in the ass LOL!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^
Sorry, I got the yellows back in. Actually, I was too damn lazy to swap the 3000K yellows back to the 4300K whites this summer, so the yellows have been in for quite a while now. I don't have any pics of the 4300K unfortunately.

Muhtish, yes. All I did was plug n play with my stock fog light wiring. The plug for the fog bulb provides the power signal for the ballast (each side). The other end of the ballast wiring connects to the new HID bulb. It is a stupidly simple install if you ask me. To be honest, I had a tougher time changing bulbs on my low beam HID headlights than installing this HID fog system..those fukkin headlight spring clips are a major pain in the ass LOL!
Thanks for the confirmation

I'll see if I can post some pics after my install this coming week
Old 06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just received my HID kit and i was wondering if you need any type of weather seals for the wires before i put it on?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Ackniculous One

My thread lives on!!! LOL! No, if you mount the ballasts where I did, they shouldn't get hardly any exposure to water. The ballasts should be sealed and I just used electrical tape and wrapped any potential areas for exposure just to be safe!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ i did what he did, clean install, plus i ran the wire thru the rebar in the front..
Old 08-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Intermediate

Quick Question

Quick question

You think the dealer can adjust the Low beam and Foglights for me? The car is lowerd already, but not crazy slammed. You think they can do this for free when I take it in for an Oil Change or something?

Or Is there any information about a DIY on Aiming the Low Beam to Spec? And same for the Fog Lights? ( I already know about the gear that aims them, just want to do them right, and about the driver side aiming lower and/or more inner to not blind on coming traffic ya?)

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Man i cant wait until my phone uploads so i can post some of my fog pics.....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Ackniculous One

The headlights are very easy. Remember, the slightest movement of the gear on the housing makes a big difference, so don't go cranking and cranking it..I recommend finding the most even parking area near a nice smooth wall, no brick or anything with lines. Adjust one up or down and match up the beam lines so they are even. Then, I pull the car away from the wall and walk down the street a little. 20- 30 feet or so. I slowly bend down and see if the most intense part of the beams hit me at the same time. So, some times the beams will be like this:

L***
......... ***R

You want them like this obviously

L*** ***R

By simply making very slight adjustments to make sure the beams hit you at the same time, then they will be pretty close. Same thing with the fog beams. I think they are easier to aim since the cast a long line across the wall..simply match them up to desired height..I need to lower mine a little. Those HIDs are bright as shit but still a decent cutoff. The fogs have the same gear but kind of pain to get to...I actually remove the screw like I'm taking out the housing and then turn the gear, place it back in the bumper and get them just right, then put the screw back in to keep them there. Remember, make small adjustments, every 1/2 turn or so will move the lights!!! Also, the fog line should be below the headlight line..not merged together
Good luck
Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 AM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a question about your install process? Do you have to ground any wires or connecting anything to the battery?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

easiest install ever and i know nothing about wires.. didnt need to take front bumper off, just slap em on flat surface and plug em in... took 20 min
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The headlights are very easy. Remember, the slightest movement of the gear on the housing makes a big difference, so don't go cranking and cranking it..I recommend finding the most even parking area near a nice smooth wall, no brick or anything with lines. Adjust one up or down and match up the beam lines so they are even. Then, I pull the car away from the wall and walk down the street a little. 20- 30 feet or so. I slowly bend down and see if the most intense part of the beams hit me at the same time. So, some times the beams will be like this:

L***
......... ***R

You want them like this obviously

L*** ***R

By simply making very slight adjustments to make sure the beams hit you at the same time, then they will be pretty close. Same thing with the fog beams. I think they are easier to aim since the cast a long line across the wall..simply match them up to desired height..I need to lower mine a little. Those HIDs are bright as shit but still a decent cutoff. The fogs have the same gear but kind of pain to get to...I actually remove the screw like I'm taking out the housing and then turn the gear, place it back in the bumper and get them just right, then put the screw back in to keep them there. Remember, make small adjustments, every 1/2 turn or so will move the lights!!! Also, the fog line should be below the headlight line..not merged together
Good luck
mine's like this :/ gotta fix that lol.
L***
......... ***R
Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bigeshorte45
easiest install ever and i know nothing about wires.. didnt need to take front bumper off, just slap em on flat surface and plug em in... took 20 min
What Hid Fog light kit do you have? Really so no need to ground any wires?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Ackniculous One

correct, 100% plug and play. The power and ground sources come from connector for the bulb wire harness. The wire harness for the stock fog bulb is a negative and positive plug. There are no wires to splice at all. Imagine taking the halogen bulb out of the wire harness, you see connection. With the HID kit, Instead of the halogen bulb, the HID harness simply plugs into the stock bulb wire harness that leads to the ballast/igniter module for the HID kit (one unit per bulb). Then, the other end of the module is the wire that leads to the new 9006 fitted HID bulb. Insert the bulb to the fog light housing and you are done. The part that took the longest....getting the bumper off to get very easy access to mount the two modules.

I have a Techone 3000K HID kit that is close to three years old. Excelerate (our vendor) has Kaixen HID kits cheap and they are 100% plug n play too. I wouldn't mess with a kit that wires up to the battery and requires separate ground. I like clean plug n play, plus there are relays along the way to help protect things.

Last edited by CJITTY; 10-07-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 PM
spaz

finally did it this morning
thanks for the write up

too bad i didn't think too much about removing the front bumper and spent way more time then needed trying to get it off.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
as soon as my nokyas die, I will upgrade to these lol
Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Jedi Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
nice write up man. i've been wondering what yellow fogs look like on a WDP and know i know. probably going to be one the first mods, i had yellow OEM fogs on my accord and LOVED them.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I'm thinking about either Nokya Yellow fogs or HID, i just cant decide yet i'm leaning for the nokya's, i want that Lexus IS300 yellow!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Racer

how do you get them to match the same color of the low beams? buy diff bulbs?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Registered TL Driver

Originally Posted by xTheWarrior
how do you get them to match the same color of the low beams? buy diff bulbs?
You have to buy a 4300k HID kit for your fogs to match the lows.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Ackniculous One

^ he is exactly right, just buy a 4300K kit from the start to match up to low beams.

as mentioned above in another post of mine, if you don't have a 4300K hid kit, you can get the harnesses to connect a pigtail hid kit to another d2s, d2c or d2r bulb with 9006 housing collars w/o buying a new hid kit. or, some hid kit websites sell pigtail wired hid bulbs with different kelvin options that will connect to an existing hid kit setup. you just need to make sure the pigtail connectors match and most websites have closeups of the two ends to make sure the male/female pigtails will work with your kit. they are making it way to easy these days, but that's good!!

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-30-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
installed mine today! was easy as pie with this excellent diy - thanks unclejitty! i will have to take off the rockblocker film though - the lenses get too hot from the bulbs. i may just buy some lexan and cut it to size....

the output is super green niagara piss yellow - like the green goblin dropped a load on the road, then it settles out to a nice yellow

will send you a pic later.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Ackniculous One

^^Daniel, that is great!! Glad I could help. If you need help adjusting the aim, I can certainly give you some tips that really make it easy. The fog beam pattern should "fill" the dark space between your bumper and where the low beam pattern starts on the road. Anything higher than that, oncoming driver will see glare most likely unless you have D2R style bulbs with ceramic glare shields like our stock headlights, but those are hard to find with 9006 collar fitments.

Just let me know one day and I can bring my rhino ramps with me out to Marietta and you can get the front end up higher to get up into that adjustment screw and it makes it easier to kneel down and checking that the beam intensity on both fog lenses hit at the same time.

Can't wait to see them. My yellow HID fogs came in real handy tonight with this pea soup foggy weather we have going on here in the ATL tonight. The valet guy even commented on them at this restaurant in Buckhead..asking me how the fawk did I get my fogs so bright and yellow...HID Fogs FTW!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Excellent info. in this thread.

I enjoyed reading it.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
great thread, well done

whats the max amount of wattage our stock fog light harness/wires/fuse can handle safely if i were to plug in a more powerful 9006 bulb?

could they handle 68 watts?? LED bulbs.

thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Ackniculous One

Honestly, keep it to 55 watt halogen (stock wattage) or 35 watt if using HID system..they make 50 watt HID systems but i say stick with what works and trust me, 35 watt HID setup is hella brighter than a 55 watt halogen stock 9006 bulb.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

I jus got my HID 3K kit in the mail today...im puttin it on tomorrow and cant wait...
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Ackniculous One

Ok, as promised (2 years ago lol), here is the info for using the rebased bulbs that gives you more flexibility with your aftermarket HID kit:

To use rebased DS2, D2R or D2C bulbs, all you typically would need is the D2R/D2S/D2C wire adapter harness that you can find on ebay and other sites for about $5 to $20. It looks like this and simply connects to the pigtails of your aftermarket HID kit pigtails. All you need to do is match up your positive/negative male/female connectors of your HID kit pigtails to the pigtails of the wire harness you see on the website. This will help you to avoid trying to splice wires...with HID power, I recommend not doing any splicing and just make sure the plugs match up. Here is the harness:

The rebased HID bulb looks just like a standard OEM type HID bulb except a 9006 collar has been added to the base of the bulb and it does a pretty good job of keeping the focal point where the halogen focal point would be. That bulb looks like this and is available also on ebay. This is a D2S bulb since it does not have the ceramic glare shield.

If you want to see pics of the 4100K's in action, please proceed here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-photograph-gallery-99/pics-hid-fog-update-4100k-philips-bulbs-706603/
Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nice thread update.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Smile

Ok, as promised (2 years ago lol),

LMAO.

I can't find any tutorials on how to remove the front bumper... Nothing really comes up in search... any one got some info on it?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Ackniculous One

in all honesty, the ballasts these days are so much smaller than the ones I have..you may not need to do all that now..just mount them and run the wires down if thet are long enough..if you want a superclean wiring look, then it is way easier to do it with the bumper off to completely hide everything. do a google search with "TL bumper removal" and "acurazine" and it should yield you some results..good luck!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Ackniculous One

fogs are very easy to aim..dealer is a ripoff..just follow my instructions in the DIY...i simply turn on fogs and walk out about 15 feet and kneel down with some sunglasses on lol and adjust them so the beam intensity's hit at the same exact time on both lights..you may need to do it a few times because one side may not be even..you'll know when its right..i try using the wall and match up the lines, but I like my other method better..just used to doing it that way. you need to drive around at night..the hid fog pattern should fill all the dark space on the road between your bumper and where the headlight beam starts with a very slight bleed over..anything higher than that, you will get flashed
Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by IntenseMX
LMAO.

I can't find any tutorials on how to remove the front bumper... Nothing really comes up in search... any one got some info on it?
http://picasaweb.google.com/amgala/2...nInstructions#

This instruction manual for installing the front lip tells you how to remove the front bumper.
The following users liked this post:
octoher12 (04-28-2014)

Quick Reply: 3000K HID Foglight install..PICS!! 56K..think again!