Zaino vs. Meguiar's test w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino vs. Meguiar's test w/ pics

This may be of some interest if you're looking to spend $$$ on a Zaino product.

Meguiar's vs. Zaino
Old 02-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
The guy who wrote this review is a frequent visitor to the Autopia Carcare forum. He owns some very nice cars:

01 911 Turbo
00 M5

Both jet black
Nice to have that kind of disposable income.

Here is some more information on the review

Zaino vs Meguiars
Old 02-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Here's an update from the guy that did the above mentioned test:

UPDATE
I have heard from an optical engineer who works for a company that makes test instruments, including a "gloss-meter" . (See http://www.geneq.com/catalog/en/nov..._hazemeter.html)

This is an expensive, laboratory tool that measures gloss (reflectivity at various angles) and haze (defined as the difference between reflection at 20 and 60 degrees). He tested Zaino on his own cars against Meguiar's Scratch-X (not really a whole-surface product but he did anayway) as well as Nu-Finish and a few other techniques/products. He used a very scrientific approach, taking several samples of each surface he worked on. (He sent me an Excel sheet full of data.)

He came to exactly the same conclusions I did - there is absolutely NO Zaino gloss advantage. (This isn't to say Zaino doesn't have better longevity.)

And here's a link to another test: http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
Old 02-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used Meguiar's Show Car Glaze and Meguiar's Medallion for Paint for over eight years and have always gotten compliments. With everyone on this site raving about Zaino, I was wondering if I was missing out, apparently not.

Since it seems that there is no noticeable difference and the Zaino process is much longe, I guess I'll continue with Meguiars.

One opinion on Meguiars though, I notice that most references are to the Gold Class series which is much easier to find in your local stores. I think the Medallion for Paint is a better product, albeit kinda expensive ($16-$20 a bottle) and hard to find.

I end up ordering it direct from Meguiars from their website.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro

It took my awhile to jump on the Zaino bandwagon. I used Meguairs Gold Class for about 5 years on all my cars. While I don't see a huge difference in the shine (maybe hard to be objective after spending the money.), the ease of use and longevity make the Zaino worthwhile to me.

The Gold Class (I have no experience with Medallion) would only last a couple weeks. The Zaino lasts months. The Zaino may take longer to complete the process between coats, etc, but it is so easy to use. The Zaino does not leave any white residue on the seals, either. I'm still cleaning some of the leftovers on the TL.

Yeah, it wasn't cheap, but time is money, right?

I still use the Meguairs Endurance tire shine.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:25 AM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, the advantage of Zaino is not shine, it is durability. The Zaino shine holds up much longer than any wax.

Same can be said for Blackfire, and probably Klasse although I have not used Klasse.

Any good product will give a good result. Meguir's certainly makes a good product (#26 Hi-tech Yellow is awesome). But I think I will stick with Zaino or Blackfire.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:45 AM
Racer

All I have to do is turn on the 500 watt flood in my garage to convince me. I'm a confirmed Zaino zealot. The remaining bottle of Meguiar's #26 on my shelf has gotten very lonely. I do use the #9 2.0 SMR, though. It does an excellent job when applied with an orbital buffer and a light cut foam pad.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Banned

Must be nice to perform wax tests on a 100k car
Old 02-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by goaub
I've used Meguiar's Show Car Glaze and Meguiar's Medallion for Paint for over eight years and have always gotten compliments. With everyone on this site raving about Zaino, I was wondering if I was missing out, apparently not.

Since it seems that there is no noticeable difference and the Zaino process is much longe, I guess I'll continue with Meguiars.

One opinion on Meguiars though, I notice that most references are to the Gold Class series which is much easier to find in your local stores. I think the Medallion for Paint is a better product, albeit kinda expensive ($16-$20 a bottle) and hard to find.

I end up ordering it direct from Meguiars from their website.
I have to agree with you on that, the Medallion is better. I had a very lengthy discussion with the Meguiars rep a few months ago and the conclusion was that the Gold class is a great product, the medallion better with one main difference being some of the Gold Class materials are simply a lower concentration level than the Medallion (or professional). Right now I've only used the Meguiars Medallion and Professional (brown bottle) products on my car. You can get most of the "brown bottle" products at Pep Boys and what not, and at a reasonable price. Their interior care products are great, and they seem to be the very best thing I've ever used. They do have some new products out (in a red bottle I believe) for the interior and I've heard good things about it from professionals. Another product you don't hear much about is tire dressing called "Endurance", and it does last like they say it will. It is without a doubt the best tire dressing that I could find.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

I like Zainio because it smells good and the shine last long. Sometimes I don't have to wax, I just wash with zaino wash and it still looks shiny.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by VTEC Animal

I have to agree with you on that, the Medallion is better. I had a very lengthy discussion with the Meguiars rep a few months ago and the conclusion was that the Gold class is a great product, the medallion better with one main difference being some of the Gold Class materials are simply a lower concentration level than the Medallion (or professional). Right now I've only used the Meguiars Medallion and Professional (brown bottle) products on my car. You can get most of the "brown bottle" products at Pep Boys and what not, and at a reasonable price. Their interior care products are great, and they seem to be the very best thing I've ever used. They do have some new products out (in a red bottle I believe) for the interior and I've heard good things about it from professionals. Another product you don't hear much about is tire dressing called "Endurance", and it does last like they say it will. It is without a doubt the best tire dressing that I could find.
Yeah I used the Show Car Glaze, it's one of the brown bottle products. I've just started using the rubber & vinyl conditioner instead of Armor all. It leaves a more "natural" shine instead of the greasy look you get from Armor-all. For the leather, I have always used Medallion for leather. After eight years on my previous car, with no seat covers, I didn't have one crack or tear. The seats looked like new.

I agree on the Endurance also. Nice shine that lasts a lot longer than any other tire dressing I've used. Smells nice too.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:58 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hm... I will keep using my Gold Class wax now... was so tempted to buy Zaino(very expensive if ordered from internet)..

BTW, the guy also owns a Audi A6(I think it's 4.2, but not sure).... he also posts on BMWM5.Com...

Andy Kuo