Zaino Smears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 03:11 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino Smears?

OK, so I washed the car with Dawn and dried it Saturday afternoon. (This was to be my first application of Zaino products) I then applied a light coat of Z-1 and let it set about a half an hour. I then applied a coat of Z-5 as my first polish coat. (I intended to follow that up with a final coat of Z-2)

I put the Z-5 on at about 3pm a few miles from the Pacific Ocean in So. Cal. I left it on until about 5pm before trying to remove it. Some of it looked hazed white and some of it still felt slightly damp. I started to remove the hazed portion with the 100% cotton USA towels, but found that it sort of smeared around. Since the ocean breeze was now really moving in and the temp was dropping... I just pulled it into the garage and said that I would let it set overnight before trying to remove the rest of it.

Sunday I went out and removed it with the towels. However, I still can't seem to get all of it off without just moving smears around... When I get it in the sun, I can really see smears that just move around with a clean towel. It sure shines and feels nice though. DID I PUT TOO MUCH ON OR SOMETHING? I didn't think I used that thick of coat... What should I do now? The instructions say to use a wet towel to wipe it down or to rewash it with Zaino car wash...

What would happen if I put a second and final coat of Z-2 on it in this current condition? Would everything dryup and be able to be removed together, or am I stuck with having to wash it all over again? And will that really take care of it? Is this stuff that much of a pain to work with? I let it set overnight and used cotton towels... Everything according to the instructions. What went wrong? Are these smears a constant problem? Did I not wait long enough in between the coat of Z-1 and Z-5? Does it need to be in the SUN to really cure? Once you start rubbing it off, are you screwed for life (with the smell of bubblegum) once you start, if you start too soon?

Bottom line... I want at least two coats on my ABP before another road trip next weekend. I don't have all day and all night to work on it. CAN I ADD THE SECOND COAT OF Z-2 OVER THE SLIGHTLY SMEARED YET MOSTLY REMOVED FIRST COAT OF Z-1/Z-5 OR SHOULD I WASH AND DRY IT AGAIN FIRST? And then, How do I know when it is really ready to be removed? Should I park it in the midday sun? Putting polish on my car during my lunch and then waiting till the next day to remove it at lunch sounds ludicrous. I guess I should have invested in some of that curing stuff additive (Z-whatever it is). Is that the ticket? I had already gone back to the well for a second order of gimmicks, before starting this, and didn't feel it necessary since I didn't live in Alaska, But maybe SO. CAL near the Ocean is the next closest thing? I'm NOT flaming Zaino here, but not having the easiest experience with it yet, either

Thanks
Old 04-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

You may have applied Zaino too thickly.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the weather like? It really should be about 60 or above
to put on any wax or polish. Anything colder is either more work
or more chances.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did the same, too thick, a little goes a long way. You should barely be able to see it on the surface of your car. Make sure the temps and humidity are where they should be.

I got the Zfx, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:21 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I had the same problem with Zanio smearing. After using up my suppy of Z2, I have switched back to my suppy of Meguiar's.

I waxed with Meguiar's this weekend, and I think it put's on a deeper shine than the Zanio.

I typically wax at least once a month. I use the Final Inspection after every wash. Wash at least once a week.

Once my Meguiar's is gone, I may try the P21S line of waxes from autodetail.com.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too funny...
Maguire’s!

I think carnauba wax looks better also, but doesn't last or repel dirt nearly as well.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Ruski
You may have applied Zaino too thickly.
I agree, too thick. You use Zaino VERY sparingly. I've put on Z2 at 50 degrees (goes on pretty thick - wasteful) and it still dries in an hour or so, even at the 50%+ humidity here in NC. If you have to rub it or even smear it on, it's too heavy. In my experience it should just wipe on and wipe off. Incidently, I use the Meguairs Gold Class applicator sponges. They work pretty well to apply the Z2 or Z5.

You will probably have to rub a bit to get that Zaino off. However, per everything I've read, it needs to be removed and then cure for 24 hours before the next coat.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:50 PM
Banned

That's the one thing about Zaino....way too much involved!! I'm thinking of picking up Klasse, i'll let you guys how it looks.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:16 PM
No, you are a dork.

too much involved? do you still go to the gas stations that pump your gas for you?
Old 04-22-2002, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by daryl.com
too much involved? do you still go to the gas stations that pump your gas for you?
No, I make my wife pump my gas:thefinger
I was just going by the process on their site....I havent done it, but it seems like a whole day process?
Old 04-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Middle Atlantic sales rep for Meguires is actually a friend of mine and he has taught me alot. I've ended up using their Gold Class wax followed by a mist coat of their Final Inspection if needed. This removes that haze you see sometimes - he said it is just wax residue that is difficult to wipe off the car. The shine is spectacular.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:35 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally posted by bloo_tls02

No, I make my wife pump my gas:thefinger
I was just going by the process on their site....I havent done it, but it seems like a whole day process?
Since you sound like the type that likes to take shortcuts in everything you do, you can really get away with only doing Z1 and Z2 an be thrilled with the results.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by daryl.com

Since you sound like the type that likes to take shortcuts in everything you do, you can really get away with only doing Z1 and Z2 an be thrilled with the results.
Maybe i'll print it out and read it over while i'm taking my eveing dump. Not that I'm into taking shortcuts, just havent got time to go thru the whole ordeal. How long does it usually take anyway (the full process)?
Old 04-22-2002, 08:53 PM
No, you are a dork.

Maybe i'll print it out and read it over while i'm taking my eveing dump. Not that I'm into taking shortcuts, just havent got time to go thru the whole ordeal. How long does it usually take anyway (the full process)?
I do the Zaino car wash, the Z1 (only once every 4-6 months) and then the Z-2....It only takes about 30 minutes to put on and less to take off....well worth the time......you dont need EVERY single product to see a noticable differerence......Ironically enough I was heading to the sh!tter myself...Ill be thinking of you when i wipe my a$$...
Old 04-22-2002, 09:23 PM
Banned

I'll have to check it out and maybe do some searches on how different people use it.

Confucious say may you logs be long and filled w/ corn :toothless
Old 04-22-2002, 09:27 PM
No, you are a dork.

I'll have to check it out and maybe do some searches on how different people use it.

Confucious say may you logs be long and filled w/ corn :toothless
Confucious also say man who fart in church sit in own pew.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,962 Likes on 14,481 Posts
Hey...I KNOW this is an old thread but I need help. I went through EVERY towel in Bed Bath and Beyond and Target yesterday and the closest I found was 100% USA made from Brazilian cotton. Should this mean it was held to US standards? It was Wamsutta collection.

EVERYTHING was from Thailand/Pakistan/China.

Anybody? Where else should I try or was that ok? What about bamboo thread towels. Those felt soft!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old T-shirts work the best.

Michael

This should help!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=546274&page=2

Last edited by Vffr1; 03-27-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,962 Likes on 14,481 Posts
Thanks man...I'll give it a whirl! I guess cut off all the seams and tags, right. Then I guess that WOULD be the softest cotton to use! Thank you!