"...you're gonna need a new transmission."

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...you're gonna need a new transmission."

40K and some odd miles. Tranny went out last night. Over several days, the typical reported symptoms: Slipping/Surging/Jerkiness and general unpredictability. Last night, I am at the light, I accelerate, the reves go way high and nothing else is happening. I am barely moving, so I put it in SS and it reads "3" but feels like "86". Then all these pretty orange lights come on the dash, then a jerk, and then another slip and then just like this for the next 3 miles home.

I quoted the service advisor on the title of this message. I'll take it one step at a time now...

Peace.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the club. What an impressive automobile Acura produces...
Old 04-02-2004, 02:44 PM
TL-S driver

welcome aboard!! Sucks but it was gonna happen eventually. Good thing you didn't get into an accident!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stiletto
40K and some odd miles. Tranny went out last night. Over several days, the typical reported symptoms: Slipping/Surging/Jerkiness and general unpredictability. Last night, I am at the light, I accelerate, the reves go way high and nothing else is happening. I am barely moving, so I put it in SS and it reads "3" but feels like "86". Then all these pretty orange lights come on the dash, then a jerk, and then another slip and then just like this for the next 3 miles home.

I quoted the service advisor on the title of this message. I'll take it one step at a time now...

Peace.
The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago at about 44000 miles. It took a week to fix but they gave me a nice TSX loaner in the meantime so I was happy. So far my TL is running pretty well wit the new Tranny although it does feel a bit different, not in a bad way though. Good luck with your car...

Kitt9000
Old 04-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Instructor

my second tranny is alot more "jumpy" when it shifts now..isnt as smooth as the first one (before it broke of course). Anybody else have this and is it correctable by dealer?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Racer

This problem is not correctable by the dealer, period. I am on my second transmission and it is consistently showing signs of imminent failure. Acura will do nothing until it dies, and even then, the replacements still aren't right.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Burning Brakes

My tranny also died a couple weeks ago at 43,800 miles. My new tranny is a lot more responsive than my last one -- so I'm happier with the new one. Makes my car feel sportier, if you know what I mean.

V.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Status Report

Originally Posted by vperkins2
My tranny also died a couple weeks ago at 43,800 miles. My new tranny is a lot more responsive than my last one -- so I'm happier with the new one. Makes my car feel sportier, if you know what I mean.

V.
First off, thx to all for the welcoming well wishes...

Second, I must admit that the process has been painless, and almost "normal". :lol2:

Third, I read this and hope that my new "rebuilt" transmission works just as good as the original one did.

another tranny link
Old 04-08-2004, 05:56 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another Tranny....bueno

Maybe I am less tolerant of losing value in my automotive investments than most people but it really Pi___es me off that after paying near 30K for a car that I expect to drive for a couple of hundred thousand miles, I have a beautiful unreliable piece of junk that has a tranny that is less relaible than anything in the current automotive market. I have owned some very nice acuras in the past and love the styling and power but now there is a big problem.
All of us have invested much money in our cars (2nd generation) and now our investment and driving pleasure has been taken away by Honda's/Acura poor engineering.Try to sell that 2002 TL and see what your car is worth now.
Everybody is complaining but nobody seems to be doing anything to make a legal fight for our cause. It seems that honda motor company owes us something more than an extended warranty that will cover a few more years and then leave us out in the cold. Just fix the fricking trannys and all will be fine. No more, no less.
I wish someone here was legally sharp enough to start a class action suit or other legal process to recover our loss and fix our cars. It seems we have a large enough pool of people to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions out there?? :ar15:
Old 04-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Drifting

Stiletto, what year is your TL?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Type S Lady
Stiletto, what year is your TL?
I have a 2K2 NBP TL-Type S with 40K odd miles, all services performed. 100% stock, xcept for the fog light mod.

On a side note: The TSX auto 5 sp loaner I am driving spanked an ES300 and an I20T by more than 3 car lengths each...

Just heard my car is ready for pickup. YAY!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzpicker
Maybe I am less tolerant of losing value in my automotive investments than most people but it really Pi___es me off that after paying near 30K for a car that I expect to drive for a couple of hundred thousand miles, I have a beautiful unreliable piece of junk that has a tranny that is less relaible than anything in the current automotive market. I have owned some very nice acuras in the past and love the styling and power but now there is a big problem.
All of us have invested much money in our cars (2nd generation) and now our investment and driving pleasure has been taken away by Honda's/Acura poor engineering.Try to sell that 2002 TL and see what your car is worth now.
Everybody is complaining but nobody seems to be doing anything to make a legal fight for our cause. It seems that honda motor company owes us something more than an extended warranty that will cover a few more years and then leave us out in the cold. Just fix the fricking trannys and all will be fine. No more, no less.
I wish someone here was legally sharp enough to start a class action suit or other legal process to recover our loss and fix our cars. It seems we have a large enough pool of people to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions out there?? :ar15:
well i suggest you sell your car and start taking the bus, because no car is perfect and every car will have some sort of problem
Old 04-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Racer

mine died couple of days ago...at 49,500miles. had it towed to the dealer.
they special ordered a new transmission and will be delivered on friday.
didn't have a loaner car so they gave me a shitty as$ sliverado pick up truck.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Racer

FSTTYMS -

What a ridiculous statement. All cars have problems, some more than others. But treating transmissions as a wearable item rises far above the level of those problems.

How many other sorts of dealerships do you think STOCK transmissions? As of two years ago, when the LA Times wrote a story about the problems with the Acura transmissions, Acura had--by their own account--replaced more than 16,000 transmissions. That was two years ago! What do you imagine that number is today?

This is a MAJOR issue. This is NOT nitpicking. Maybe you are more tolerant of totally unacceptable quality, or maybe you've been lucky.

Either way, these vehicles have major issues. And Acura's anemic response is a total joke.

This is my first Acura. It will be my last. And believe me, I will spread the "good" word about the kind of car Acura produces and the way they don't stand behind it.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
well i suggest you sell your car and start taking the bus, because no car is perfect and every car will have some sort of problem
Good logic Fsttyms1.
You maybe right with your response about taking the bus, it is probably more dependable than the Acura.
BTW, after owning many cars in my lifetime, I have never owned a car with such a problem. I am glad that you are completely satified with your vehicle...
Old 04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
01 TL-P Driver

Symptons of Premature Failure of Tranny...

I have read plenty of threads about the trannies going out on many TL-P or -S. I recently just purchased a 01 TL-P, and it has about 43000 miles on it. I wish I had known this is the case for this model of car, prior to purchase.

Anyway, I would like to know what I can expect to hear out of the tranny in my car as signs of failure.

I only have a few more thousands of miles (it seems) to go, before I am part of the "club".....

Please advise...
Old 04-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sportious
I have read plenty of threads about the trannies going out on many TL-P or -S. I recently just purchased a 01 TL-P, and it has about 43000 miles on it. I wish I had known this is the case for this model of car, prior to purchase.

Anyway, I would like to know what I can expect to hear out of the tranny in my car as signs of failure.

Please advise...
Actually it can happen at any milage and in any driving fashion. In my case, I had trouble very early on and then it corrected itself, showing strong response all the time untill about 39000 miles, when it started staing in gear longer than it should have or very sporadically started slipping, particularly in 3rd... then 4000 miles after that, at a light, the reves went up but nothing moved, then all the dashlights came on.... then you kindof do this:
Old 04-12-2004, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stiletto
I have a 2K2 NBP TL-Type S with 40K odd miles, all services performed. 100% stock, xcept for the fog light mod.

On a side note: The TSX auto 5 sp loaner I am driving spanked an ES300 and an I20T by more than 3 car lengths each...

Just heard my car is ready for pickup. YAY!!!
Atleast your loaner is spankin somebody. I got an RL this morning and I feel like I'm pulling a motor home. I can't see spending $45k on that huge, sluggish car, I am so not impressed.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
FSTTYMS -

What a ridiculous statement. All cars have problems, some more than others. But treating transmissions as a wearable item rises far above the level of those problems.

How many other sorts of dealerships do you think STOCK transmissions? As of two years ago, when the LA Times wrote a story about the problems with the Acura transmissions, Acura had--by their own account--replaced more than 16,000 transmissions. That was two years ago! What do you imagine that number is today?

This is a MAJOR issue. This is NOT nitpicking. Maybe you are more tolerant of totally unacceptable quality, or maybe you've been lucky.

Either way, these vehicles have major issues. And Acura's anemic response is a total joke.

This is my first Acura. It will be my last. And believe me, I will spread the "good" word about the kind of car Acura produces and the way they don't stand behind it.

Mike, I have a question for you. Of your grand total of a whopping 80 posts, atleast 60 have been about how crappy Acura is. Here are the last 15 or so:

--------------------------------------

"Well, in addition to rattles and the brakes needing to be replaced/resurfaced regularly, I am on my second transmission and it is still not right. The transmission slips, and the car..."

"My 2003 TL-S is the worst vehicle I have ever owned, and you are right, Acura doesn't care. That's why my first Acura will be my last."

"The problem is your transmission failed, like so many others. The overall problem is that you bought this car, like so many others of us, expecting that it would be reliable. "

"This problem is not correctable by the dealer, period. I am on my second transmission and it is consistently showing signs of imminent failure. Acura will do nothing until it dies, and even then,... "

"I am heated. This is supposed to be a luxury car? And this is what we deal with?

They are totally stonewalling on the whole problem, trying to minimize their losses because the issue is so... "

"I have the same problem--my transmission (my second transmission, I should say) is bucking/slipping/surging, and they like to pretend that all is well because there are "no codes in the... "

"Actually, I also made reference to maybe this experience would be consistent with realistic expectations if I had bought a Kia! "

"I did tell them that. It is a total joke. Acura should fold up and start making shoes or something instead. The only thing worse than the quality of this car is the nature of their response to the... "

"Yes, welcome indeed. What did you do to deserve this? You bought an Acura!

I am continuing to fight it out with Acura. This car is the worst I've ever owned.

The GM of my dealership told me last... "

"If I had it to do over again, I would absolutely NOT buy the Acura. The issues with the transmission alone have been totally intolerable. Add to that the many squeaks and rattles--worst of any car... "

"I have my Acura serviced there. I hate the car--it is the poorest quality vehicle I have ever owned, and I cannot imagine ever buying another Acura product. But, Northeast Acura didn't build... "

"I have the same problem with mine. Funny, they also tried the EGR valve fix. It did nothing. This is my second transmission. Oh, and my last Acura. "

--------------------------------------

If you're having such big problems with squeaks, rattles, and transmissions, why do you still have the car? Also, if you hate the car so much, why are you on here all the time? Something just doesn't add up. Don't take this personally. I was just curious.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Racer

Vandy,

First off, it is flattering that you would take the time to compile my greatest hits.

I still have the car because I had the misfortune of leasing it. I assure you, had I not, it would have been gone last year when the transmission was replaced the first time. I am currently in the process of availing myself of the several options available to deal with Acura and this car in particular. And because that is all underway, I'm not going to expand upon that.

I participate in the forums because I am interested in reading about the similar problems many others are experiencing, and frankly in letting those who are considering these cars know about those problems. Had I known all this two years ago, I definitely would have made another choice.

Too bad they have such a problem, and even more so, such a bad approach toward dealing with it and their customers, since the car has a lot of positive attributes, represents a strong value, and the '04 looks great. But my experience has been enough to convince me that once I am rid of this thing, barring some miraculous intervention from Acura, I will not be back.

ME
Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

About the class action lawsuit thing... I've spoken to an attorney about this whole thing. I'm on my third tranny (1st at 19K, second 17K later) w/ about 9K miles on it.

Anyway... they said I don't fall under the Ohio Lemon Law because it hasn't failed 3 times and it didn't happen within 18K miles. I figure that's a bunch of BS. I mean... we're not talking about a fan relay or an oil leak. We're talking about a friggen' transmission that should last as long as the rest of the powertrain.

Nonetheless... I'm going to persue another avenue and work to get some sort of compensation through the Federal Law that protects us from paying too much for a product... like a $32K car with a disposable transmission.

Other than that... I still like the car. It's faster than hell... now rid of the Michelines it rides smooth and handles great... I just wish the tranny were consistent. Either shift hard all the time, or shift smooth and crisp all the time. I can say one thing for sure... this will be my last automatic for a while.

Can anyone say '05 Subaru Legacy GT-Limited?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vperkins2

V.

It sure feels a lot more responsive when it is new again. Just give it some time and it will start shifting like a POS.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
Good logic Fsttyms1.
You maybe right with your response about taking the bus, it is probably more dependable than the Acura.
BTW, after owning many cars in my lifetime, I have never owned a car with such a problem. I am glad that you are completely satified with your vehicle...

I concur. I have had an '89 Ford Probe, '96 supercharged Buick Riviera, '98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, '99 Chrysler 300M, and '01 Lexus RX300. None of them had any transmission problems (or any other kinds of problems for that matter). Why am I a on a THIRD transmission with my '02 TL-S?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA can't wait to get my third transmission.

Ok... ok... I'm loosing it.

The car appears to be running o.k. (for now).
Old 04-12-2004, 07:04 PM
PROSTREET440

Just Got My 02 Tl-s Back Today With Its First Tranny (77k) It Seems Fine Now. But Does Shift Differant (the 02 Tl Loaner They Gave Me Is Sucking A Tranny As Well At 30000 ) But I Am Worried As I Drive 1000 Miles A Week I Will Soon Be Over The 100000 Mile Extension .has Anybody Heard Of Acura Stepping Up To The Plate If The Car Goes Over The Miles
Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
Vandy,

First off, it is flattering that you would take the time to compile my greatest hits.

I still have the car because I had the misfortune of leasing it. I assure you, had I not, it would have been gone last year when the transmission was replaced the first time. I am currently in the process of availing myself of the several options available to deal with Acura and this car in particular. And because that is all underway, I'm not going to expand upon that.

I participate in the forums because I am interested in reading about the similar problems many others are experiencing, and frankly in letting those who are considering these cars know about those problems. Had I known all this two years ago, I definitely would have made another choice.

Too bad they have such a problem, and even more so, such a bad approach toward dealing with it and their customers, since the car has a lot of positive attributes, represents a strong value, and the '04 looks great. But my experience has been enough to convince me that once I am rid of this thing, barring some miraculous intervention from Acura, I will not be back.

ME
Don't feel bad Mike. Vandy used to diss me all the time too when I went through 2 trannies and I had negative responses from Acura. He does this to all the 'bad tranny' people. I can't believe though that he would take the time to read over all your posts though. Must have a light load at Vandy this year.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by garylee55
Don't feel bad Mike. Vandy used to diss me all the time too when I went through 2 trannies and I had negative responses from Acura. He does this to all the 'bad tranny' people. I can't believe though that he would take the time to read over all your posts though. Must have a light load at Vandy this year.
I agree. I am glad that my words appear to have such importance!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Does anyone know about tranny really well.
after a burnout last night, my car has bine rattleing from the tranny or some where near it. and its only will i am standing still, in the drive position. and then will i accelerate the weird wrm/vibration. And i had the mounts checked out, but it wasn't that. Could it be the axcel or the tranny.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DDog420
Does anyone know about tranny really well.
after a burnout last night, my car has bine rattleing from the tranny or some where near it. and its only will i am standing still, in the drive position. and then will i accelerate the weird wrm/vibration. And i had the mounts checked out, but it wasn't that. Could it be the axcel or the tranny.
Might be your IAC valve..