XM Roady and 2002 TL-S no Navi

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 10:49 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM Roady and 2002 TL-S no Navi

I have a 2002 TL-S w/o Navi and just got the XM Roady for Xmas. Currently I just have it laying in the center console, plugged into the internal lighter and laying in the top tray. I'd like to mount it so that I can channel surf, but don't want to make any permanent changes to the dash (lease). I'd really like to see how others have installed their XM unit with pics if possible. Also, if anyone has info on how to take apart the center console/radio if I decide to mount it, I'd really appreciate it. I saw the pro-fit brackets that seemed to do the trick? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Old 01-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Racer

i put xm in my car about two months ago and it took forever to take apart the dash and centor console, because i used a FM modulator, so i wouldn't have to use the cassette or power adaptor to make it work. I put a mount under the right wood trim and it sits up to the right of my stock stereo. To mount it you don't need to take off the whole dash, just the wood trim.

to get behind the stock stereo you have to:
1. Remove carpet from center console pocket. remove two exposed screws.
2. remove left and right side trim panel.
3. reomve exposed screws securing center console assembly. pull center console assembly toward back seat releasing front hooks.
4. remove driver side fuse access panel and remove one screw. pull driver side under dash panel from dash releasing three clips.
5. remove exposed screw securing center console side panel. remove upper screw from center console side panel. remove all other screws from along center console left side panel. remove side panel.
6. remove all screws from along center console right side panel. remove side panel.
7. lift gear shift trim and remove.
8. from under panel push control button assemblies up out of trim panel (seat warmers), disconnect. pry trim panel out of cavity from under car stereo.
9. remove two exposed screws at each side of diagnostic connector. remove two screws, one each from upper sides of car stereo. pull lower trim panel from dash, disconnect connector.
10. remove two screw from each side of car stereo to mounting bracket.
11. Pull car stereo out.

This took me forever cuz i didn't know what i was doing, but i figured it out.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:26 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to remove the wood trim without removing everything else? Also, I heard that PIE makes a cable that you can plug into the CD Changer port in the rear of the stereo eliminating the need for an FM Modulator. Did you consider this when you installed your XM? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Blitzsafe makes an adaptor that I used for my SkyFi. The Roady is smaller, so you shouldn't have location issues like those of us with SkyFi's have (see my pics in my sig).

This has been discussed quite a bit here and on XMFAN.com...do a search and you should find what you are looking for.

Chris
Old 01-03-2004, 11:08 AM
4th Gear

Nice Job Chris! What Blitzsafe adapter did you get, and where's a good place to get it, price-wise? Also, did you use the pro-fit bracket, or something else? Thanks for the info!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Instructor

I used the PanaVise bracket to mount the SkyFi, and the Blitzsafe adaptor is the HON-AUX (purchased directly from Blitzsafe). Tweeter did the install.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Racer

the wood trim can be pulled out, just pop it out.

hey chris how much did tweeter charge for install?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:54 PM
4th Gear

Thanks s5nake5! You were right on! The wood trim pops right off. I installed my Roady today and it looks great! Thanks for to everyone for the advice!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:01 AM

I installed mine in the sunglass holder. I hate having to hide the unit everytime I leave the car somewhere. It was perfect fit. I drilled a hole through the top of the sunglass holder and I fished all the wires through there to the a pillar. Everything is hidden and no knows I have it. I connected with the blitzsafe adapter. People are in my car and they hear it and they have no idea where its coming from.