Xenons were plucked

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004 | 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MikeShollen
AHHH!!! I just got a nice 99 TL this summer and your stories scared the shit out of me. I go to Lehigh University which is located in Bethlehem, PA. If any of you have ever been in Bethlehem, you know what I'm talking about when I say it's a scary place to park a classy car. Where can you buy these self-powered aftermarket shock alarms or whatever you guys are calling them and how much do they usually cost?
Alarm will do nothing. It takes less than a minute to plug the lights out with 2 people.
not true at all, any car w/ xenon is in a lot of trouble. The acura's are actually probably the least desirable because they aren't as easy as most to get out. For the maxima's and 996 porsches all you need is a flat head and 30 seconds. Selling your car because of this is pretty dumb IMO. This shit happens to anyone and everyone. Audi's are also a easy take. These automanufactures need to learn to secure their lights down better, esp. when some people are paying for xenons as a pricey option.
Not true. The TLs, Maximas and Altimas are in trouble b/c
1. THere are many of these cars
2. THere are many that want the HIDs
3. Way to easy to steal
4. With Maximas and TLs, thieves KNOW they are standard equipment so any TL will do.

The TL and Maxima have been all over the news and even some auto publications with this problem.
Old 08-14-2004 | 02:33 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Maybe install an alarm with a ultra sensitive motion sensor pointed forward directly in the lower grill. Yeah sure every freakin cat in the neighborhood will set it off, but at least anyone who walks remotely in front of the TL will set the alarm off so they'll have a little less time. It can probably be adapted from those backup sensors.... either that or an electric fence and some barb wire in front of the TL.
Old 08-14-2004 | 02:44 PM
Advanced

stolen hid queens ny

They got mine a 2001 tl and the guy around the corner last thursday.
I live in fresh meadows queens
NYC police have a crime unit and are confiscating them off any honda or mod car if the DOT and vin number markings are missing.
Im getting a new TL as the 2004 its not as desirable the 2nd gen tl has the igniter ballast and bulb in one unit and fits nicely in the accord and civic with a mod.

its harder with other cars, but maximas were the easiest. They recalled the maximas and a protective device that makes it harder to steel caused a shift to the acuras
this is from the NYC crime/theft unit

good luck
Old 08-14-2004 | 02:48 PM
Advanced

typical MO

sometimes they will flat your tire to make it look like they are fixing something. These guys use aviation snips to cut around the body and its out in less than 5 minutes.

Detective actually came out and dusted my car, he says there is a asian american gang who make a fortune doing this. They have a video of them cuting them out of a TL in less than 5 minutes both lamps.

Seems like queens ny is the new area of operation. Keep your second gen TL's garaged.
BTW acura dropped the ball by not informing customers its a problem. And they make a great deal of money of replacements as likely double the amount of lights have been sold given the predicted life of them
Old 08-14-2004 | 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeah

Park your TL with a couple of friends and shot guns...hide out in a van or something. When they come, BAM...drag their body in the drunk, bring 'em home and cut 'em up and cook some noodle soup...yeahhhh
Old 08-15-2004 | 12:54 AM
Advanced

just reading about it now, and looking back im kinda mad they "acura" never attempted to at least contact people of the issue. They sure send advertisements and garbage in the mail. They know where we live. Thing is they are profiting from it big time as likely given the life of a xenon no one would need replacing them. Some are on there second snatch. The replacements should have been redesigned with the ballast and ignitors away from the bulb as in other cars, with a secure bar and a identification on the lens to say its not worth stealing.
as in the nissan case there maybe a class action here, small compared to the tranny problems though
Old 08-15-2004 | 05:23 PM
Advanced

dude someone crashed into my tl and boned out and my alarm didnt even go off...now i gotta pay $7300 to fix it back up because it hit the engine, radiator, battery and the drivers side headlight (including my HID bulb) are demolished into a million pieces.

dude but seems like all the stealing is going on in nyc. good luck to you guys im glad noone really knows about TL's over here.
Old 08-15-2004 | 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Natismati
whens the last time they had to pop a hood to steal headlights? what the hell are you people talking about??
I was explaining to Jencatt what a hood lock does. I guess hood locks aren't a good anti-theft deterrent for HID.
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:07 AM
Racer

This is BS! This is a real problem that Acura needs to address, not us! They need to secure the damn things down and make it virtually impossible to steal.....especially now that they know theses lights are a hot ticket item. Anyone know if they made any improvements on the '04? If not I will not be buying another TL. This shit is getting ridiculous!

The consumer should be able to buy a product and feel comfortable parking it anywhere, not have to spend an additional $1000 to try and protect yourself.

If I was going to spend a grand it would be on a court costs and medical reimbursements to the kids whose teeth I smashed out of their fucking faces. If I EVER see someone trying to steal my shit, I would beat them within an inch of their life and tell the cops he must of fell during the chase.

Ok, I have to go now....my Blood Pressure is too high! Peace.
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:04 AM
clc
Instructor

[QUOTE=keeena]Those people should be shot....really.
QUOTE]

Not a problem in Texas
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:36 AM
Pro

markhorowitz - which part of brooklyn you live in?

I've parked my car around 9th avenue and 39th st train station in brooklyn, they tried to take my lights there. but lucky me they had no luck. my noisy sensitive aftermarket alarm scared them off.
Old 08-16-2004 | 12:18 PM
Advanced

insurance quote

anyone who has had there stolen report how much they got, inculding side damage to quarter panels.
so i can compare based on when my adjuster comes
Old 08-16-2004 | 03:30 PM
Pro

How'd they pry the lights out? Do they push fenders in or out?
I'm thinking about maybe stuffing something or welding something to the fender so they cant pry it. But i know if someone wants to take it, they'll take it.

I'm also tryin to come up with a way to move the ballast to a different location, and post a sign in front windshielf, hopefully those thieves are literate and see that the ballast is no longer in original location.
Old 08-16-2004 | 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=clc]
Originally Posted by keeena
Those people should be shot....really.
QUOTE]

Not a problem in Texas
Pretty much just NYC/north Jersey. Never heard of a case here either.
Old 08-16-2004 | 06:36 PM
Advanced

my 2001 tl if this helps anyone

[IMG]ftp:\\members.aol.com\tommyz1052\2001tl.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2004 | 06:38 PM
Advanced

the guy around the blocks 2003tl same night

[URL=ftp:\\members.aol.com\tommyz1052\2003tl.jpg]
Old 08-16-2004 | 06:41 PM
Pro

sorry bro cant view your picture
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:36 PM
Pro

Which part of NYC?
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:50 PM
Advanced

fresh meadows queens
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:52 PM
Race Director

tommy, enable access rights to the pix. they are not showing. (chmod)
Old 08-16-2004 | 09:05 PM
Advanced

Old 08-16-2004 | 09:09 PM
Race Director

Fucking Assholes!
Old 08-16-2004 | 09:16 PM
Pro

Just wondering if its possible to add a steel bar to where they bend the fender.
Old 08-16-2004 | 09:20 PM
Race Director

I think that we all, each member, should write a letter to Acura stating the fact about the headlight being stolen.. If everyone will complain at once, they must do something about it.
Old 08-16-2004 | 09:22 PM
Advanced

2 things that the cop mentioned,
1 my car was next to a drive way exposing the front end. Park in between cars.
2 the gang and they believe its one group of people act during rain, because most people dont drive and any sounds are muted and people arent outside
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

tommyz...
were those cars hit in the rain?? i just got my 02 TL-S on friday and im scared shitles... i live on the border of queens/li.

can you find out what the asian gang is called? and all the HID thefts are from them only??

also if i park against a garage door (i have no garage/turned into a livingroom) but theres still space on the side... will they still bother?
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:47 PM
Race Director

See, the saddest thing in NYC is that even if someone will see the headlights being stolen, no one will say or do anything.

I garage my car, but in the day time when Im going some where it takes me forever to park my car because i always look for the best spot possible.

BigMike your best bet is to install that bright ass light that turns on automatically if it detects any movement, and park your car as close as you can to the garage door(facing it), and if you can, purchase a cover for the car.
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:50 PM
Advanced

I was thinking of actually making a fluorescent sticker saying unusuable if removed. That may deter them and move on to another one , the next guys down the block maybe.

After i got my car I remember putting my keys into another guys TL, and seeing the 10 of a kind in the local mall. So i put distinctive ruber trim on it so i can damn find it in a parking lot.

I thought when i lived in patchogue long island i was in a bad neighborhood. Not to stereotype but this is verbatim from a special dectective who came to interview me on the subject matter. I lived in this neighborhood for 17years then moved back, and i frankly dont see a difference. He kept using the words Asian Asian Asian, over and over.
These lights are like gold chains on the front of your car and are asking to be stolen , its a major flaw.

Asked me if i had any work done on the car recently, where i had my oil changed. As these places usually take your registration info and address. I guess there are trying to put a pattern for things but it makes no sense. As i have parked on the lower east side and shit neighborhoods were you dont stop at red lights if your the wrong ethnicity without fear.

After this happened to myself and my neighbor i hit the grim reality, there gonna come back again , and im not gonna put my car behind the garage everytime i zip in and out for something. If it consumes my life i have to change and its worth to get something else and be done with it.
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

how "ball-sy" are these people?? this house actually got robbed like 5 houses down from me a couple weeks ago, hopefully they are not into cars as well...

i just got my car friday and have been so happy with it.... but im getting really scared.. im only 18 so that deductible is a lot of money to me...
Old 08-16-2004 | 10:54 PM
Race Director

Solution, sleep in the car

Those bastards are pretty ballsy because there is nothing there to stop them. Those plastic clips are piece of cake to break, and the job as I hear takes less than 30 seconds a pop. If the clips were metal I would of welded them in long time ago.
Old 08-16-2004 | 11:00 PM
Advanced

Im trying to get my hands on the official document from acura, to dealers on replacing stolen HID lights. As this was a known issue way back , i really let them know my dispeasure of finding out " OH YEAH WE GET 300 a year" from the guy. Meanwhile i pull in for a oil change and service and you do nothing to tell me or fix the problem. This is what spurred the recall on the Maximas
Old 08-16-2004 | 11:02 PM
Advanced

there is a special ( stolen kit) that apparently puts a metal bar and attaches to the body somewhere, apparently only a dealer can get this , this prevents it from being easily removed. Your side panels will be like sardine cans and your tires will be flat as they probably will get pissed at not being able to get it out
Old 08-17-2004 | 01:43 AM
Race Director

that setup exists on the Maximas and it is VERY ugly.

If Only they can change the backing of the headlights from plastic to metal will be ok.
Or if anyone ever catches those assholes who steal our headlights, give him the beating of a life time, so others can learn that we are not to be fucked with.

I seen 2 TLs today in brooklyn driving with a messed up front and no headlights. It is getting ridiculous.
Old 08-17-2004 | 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

do they ONLY come from the side fenders?? if i park one side against a house (pretty hard to reach the fender), will they even bother with my car for only one?? (my left fender will be exposed). THANKS!
Old 08-17-2004 | 10:58 PM
Intermediate

To all who have been robbed or are scared. you can get an alarm, but like it was mentioned previously get a battery backup. that helps if they cut the power, but remember they still open ur hood what you can do and STRONGLY SUGGEST is to get this add on that anyone will do best buy does it , its called a hood pin. the minute ur hood is popped opened or pryed open whatever it may be sirens go off. its really a good add on and well worth the maybe 25 bux at most u pay .. remember hood pin!
Old 08-18-2004 | 01:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

can anyone suggest a good car alarm??
how much would a good car alarm + backup battery generally run for?

thanks!
Old 08-18-2004 | 01:49 AM
Intermediate

good car alarm....vviper or clifford. makesure they have 2 way remotes acts like a pager car sends constant signal to remote and keeps in touch minute trouble it pages ur remote and goes off or vibrates u can also remote start ur car to cool if down or heat it up about 500 bux plus intall
Old 08-18-2004 | 09:55 AM
Pro

we all should do this. NJ sued Nissan.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...adlights_x.htm

Maybe we can get something like this started. Any lawyers out there?
Old 08-18-2004 | 09:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by WellChosen
good car alarm....vviper or clifford. makesure they have 2 way remotes acts like a pager car sends constant signal to remote and keeps in touch minute trouble it pages ur remote and goes off or vibrates u can also remote start ur car to cool if down or heat it up about 500 bux plus intall

I think someone has a 2way alarm and their lights still got stolen. He came out and they were gone, slashed his tires.
Old 08-18-2004 | 12:16 PM
Race Director

No, no lawyers, but what I mentioned before will defintely get Acura's attention.

If EVERYONE writes a letter (individually) to Acura stating the obvious...the volume they will get will be crazy, and that will get their attention.

If they realize that Acura sales in NYC will decrease, they will do something about it.

Quick Reply: Xenons were plucked