X band radar-do police still use it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 10:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X band radar-do police still use it?

Since you can disable the X band warning on the BEL 980, I was thinking of doing it. Do many police still use X band? Or should I disable it? How about the Chicago area-does anyone know if any police around there still use X band?:wow:
Old 02-19-2002, 10:04 PM
The "old" guy

Depends on where you do your driving. Many of the poorer rural cops still use X band. The poorer municipalities dont spring for the newer K and Ka band equipment......
Old 02-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Race Director

I completely disabled X-band on my V1 in Kansas City. Now I drive more false-alarm free and it is more pleasant. I did this only after two years of making sure there was no X-band radar in use. I feel completely safe that within the metro area in and around Kansas and Missouri, I'll be fine. When I leave town, I turn X-band back on.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:02 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Jersey still uses it. IMO they use it cuz they try to fake people out.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Indyjenks
Depends on where you do your driving. Many of the poorer rural cops still use X band. The poorer municipalities dont spring for the newer K and Ka band equipment......
Actually, the opposite of this is usually true. A small town that has one traffic light and more cows than people usually has a small police department. That small department may only have one or two radar units, so replacing two units isn't that expensive, especially with the state grants that are available.

On the other hand, a large department (like a state agency) may have hundreds of units and replacing all of them at once is an expensive prospect. Usually they are replaced on a rotating basis as they die or are broken beyond repair.

Near where I live, many of the small towns have state-of-the art K, Ka and lidar units, whereas the bigger cities (and the state) are using outdated K-band units. I haven't seen an X-band unit in use in a long time, but I'm sure they are still out there. I think K is probably the most prevelant, followed by Ka, then X, then lidar.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mitch
How about the Chicago area-does anyone know if any police around there still use X band?:wow:
I think it's still used in the Chicago area. I thought about disabling it on my 8500, but I know I've been clocked with X-Band radar in Wheeling.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:37 PM
10th Gear

Thanks. Since I drive through Wheeling, I guess I'll leave it on for now.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:09 AM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must remember those small and rural towns are the essence of a speed trap. They make alot of money catching out of towners just flying through. If this is how they make the most money, they are going to want the best equipment and like pianoman said, it isn't very expensive to replace a few units as opposed to a few hundred.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:03 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by mbeebe
You must remember those small and rural towns are the essence of a speed trap. They make alot of money catching out of towners just flying through. If this is how they make the most money, they are going to want the best equipment and like pianoman said, it isn't very expensive to replace a few units as opposed to a few hundred.
Contribute what you know to http://www.speedtrap.org.