would tint make your window fames rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 10:38 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would tint make your window fames rattle?

I took my car into the dealer to check up on the madd rattle that has been going on my rear passenger's window frame. According to the dealer, there was a bulletine stating that tinting windows may cause rattles at the windows region. Has anyone ever heard of this type of stuff?

And P.S. I'll pay anyone who knows how to do one touch windows rolls, just email me at Inspire@acura-tl.com Thanks much!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:44 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would really love to see that bulletin cause that is a bunch of bull$hit. Tinting is not going to make the window frame rattle. I think it's just them covering their a$$es for all the rattles coming from the car.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have to agree with BlackShadow--how the hell does tint cause rattling???? that is such bull****...the guy probably is using it as an excuse just so it wouldnt be covered under warranty.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh man, that would piss me off to no end if they told me that bull****. Unbelievable!!

How is a thin plastic film applied on glass cause a rattle?

Ask him to show you this bulletin. I'm sure the dealers have full access to all bulletins and let us know how good of an excuse he comes up with when you ask for the bulletin.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:57 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Thomas Acura said the exact same thing to me when I took it in for a squeak in the rear. Then he came to realize it was my DVD NAVI Unit in the trunk.

that's a crock of sh!t, bulletin for the tint?
Old 05-23-2002, 01:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

haha...how could u let the dealer throw that sh*t at you like that..hahaha...unbelievable!
Old 05-23-2002, 01:44 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

You should have seen my face when they told me that... I was like... what da fuk~! But you know, the rattle is sooo much pain in the fukin asz that I was willing to believe it!!! But guess what... the fukin rattle is still not fixed! I got a nice fukin ride with a nasty rattle comin from one area, and NOBODY knows exactly what's causing it!!!! Fuking pissz me off!!!!
Old 05-23-2002, 07:39 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ask to see the Bulletin. Especially that bulletin Number
Old 05-23-2002, 07:42 AM
Racer

Complete BS. That's one bulletin I'd like to see.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

The horrible ratting from the window frame happened to my 2002 TL within a week of purchasing it. I had the dealer remove the back window and reset it with new eurothane adhesive and its been fine for 13k miles ever since then. <p>This is a problem that has been written about in other threads on this message board so its not unique. Some people have applied a high quality silicone spray along the outer rear window trim to make it stop. I am more certain that it has to do with the way the window adhesive is applied to bond the window at the factory, leaving some small areas along the window glass that dont adhere right to the body of the car. When the body of the car twists (there is a small amount of flex) the window glass rubs against the eurothane where it hasnt bonded to it, and thats what makes that sound you hear. The sound is amplified along the whole surface of the window. In my car, it was coming from the right top corner of the window. <p>Incidentally, I had another car that once had the same problem and that was the same fix the glass shop did to fix it before so thats why I immediately knew it would work. The dealer does not have a service bulletin and seemed genuinely suprised my problem, but he happily had the window pulled and reset for me. [Curry Acura in Westchester County, NY]. Given the number of people that have also complained about this same problem on this message board, I am very surprised Acura has not issued a repair bulletin, as they did for the squeak in the sunroof (the fix for that is a clear teflon tape the dealer will apply around the roof opening, btw).
Old 05-23-2002, 09:29 AM
9th Gear

tuff gong's ride

What suspension setup & Wheels? Car looks great! Any problems with ride/handling and did you need an alignment?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: would tint make your window fames rattle?

Originally posted by Inspire
I took my car into the dealer to check up on the madd rattle that has been going on my rear passenger's window frame. According to the dealer, there was a bulletine stating that tinting windows may cause rattles at the windows region. Has anyone ever heard of this type of stuff?

And P.S. I'll pay anyone who knows how to do one touch windows rolls, just email me at Inspire@acura-tl.com Thanks much!
That's BS!!! When I had my last car (Vigor), I had just gotten the car tinted the day before and I was taking it in for it's 30K mile maintenance. I tell the Service Manager not to roll down the windows since the tint was still fresh. The guy proceeds to tell me that I made a big mistake. He went on to say that the tolerances are so tight on these cars, that the tint would cause me all sorts of problems (although he couldn't elaborate on what kind of problems). He really pi$$ed me off. I then proceeded to call three other dealers to confirm this and they all told me that tints will not cause any problems. Some of the dealers actually told me that they have arrangements with tint shops so that customers can get there tints done when they buy the car.

I had my car for eight years and never had a problem.

The tint is trimmed so that it doesn't interfere with the window tracks/channels. The only place where the tint comes into any contact is on the little rubber/felt piece where your door panel and window come together. A good shop will trim the tint just below (inside the door) that piece so you don't run the risk of it peeling.

My TL has had tints for a year, and no problems.

As for you squeaking, I had the most annoying little squeak that I could never find. It would come over my left shoulder and sound like it was coming from the back seat. One day I folded up a small piece of cardboard and wedged it in between the rear windshield and the plastic C-Pillar cover, and the squeak was gone. Next tim I go in for an oil change, I'm going to tell them so they can put some of that felt tape on it. It obviously was just the c-pillar cover moving ever so slightly and causing the noise.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs down

Boy I have heard some whoppers in my time but this takes the cake. I have heard that HONDA window channels can be tricky & tight.
But I don't think it would cause a rattlle. I have had my TL tinted for 2yrs & no rattles. I just had the sides retinted because I had to get thru inspection. I have no ratlles again. My 94 ACCORD was also tinted a few times becase of inspection. I also did not have any problems with that car.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: tuff gong's ride

Originally posted by tommy 65
What suspension setup & Wheels? Car looks great! Any problems with ride/handling and did you need an alignment?
Oops, I didn't even notice your post:o....my bad. Thanks for the compliments Tommy, the wheels are ...... well, I'll give you a couple of links to my old threads regarding the wheels and springs. It's all explained in the following threads.

Thanks again.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=34286

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...=springs+h%26r

Don't laugh at my spring story!..... Oh yeah, I never did an alighnment. Still tracks straight and never noticed any uneven wear from the camber being off either.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:56 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

I am soooo damn sure that it is my window frame that's rattling now.... Anyone has the same problem??? I mean every part of my car is quiet, but the passenger rear window.... IT"S BUGGIN THE 5hit out of me!!!! Any ideas anyone? Thanks...
Old 05-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Inspire
Any ideas anyone?
yeah...turn up the radio
Old 05-24-2002, 10:20 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally posted by TLover8888

yeah...turn up the radio
exactly what I do.... but I was hoping for some alternative...
thanks newayz