Wobble when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wobble when accelerating

Mine is 02 TL at 100k miles and I replaced my front engine mount myself and while doing it I have noticed that my driver’s side upper ball joint has significant play in it. The car wobbled when accelerating so I have thought this is it since I new my lower ball joints are ready to be replaced as well. So it was so bad with joints and me being very tight with time and since this is the only car we have, I had to bite the bullet and took it to the nearby Honda dealership and let them replace my upper arms (I did not want to replace just the upper ball joints) and lower ball joints on both front sides of course.

After this, with new mount, lower ball joints and upper arms, my car still wobbles but like I said, only when I accelerate especially above 50mph. It is less then it was before arms, mount and lower ball joints were replaced but still it does it only when the car accelerates and it is not noticeable below 40mph or so. Above that, especially during brisk acceleration, the car wobbles/shakes.
This makes me wonder what it can be. Could it be bearings?
Any ideas? When I am coasting the car is fine, only while the car accelerates it shakes/wobbles.
This began last year in the fall approximately but it was very mild and I thought that it has to do with the joints/mounts so I did not pay too much attention to it.

I am going back to the dealership tomorrow to try to figure out what is it with them, but I would appreciate any ideas from you guys.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i have the same problem. no clue what it could be
tell me when you find an answer
Old 02-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Advanced

I hope to find out for sure tomorrow, probably another big expense from my pocket since I am thinking about the CV joints. They could very well be the issue.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i was first told allignment. that didnt fix it. seafoamed the car. oil changes done.new spark plugs. lubed the pistons and breaks.
im hoping its nothing stupid like getting a new axle
Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zeppler
i was first told allignment. that didnt fix it. seafoamed the car. oil changes done.new spark plugs. lubed the pistons and breaks.
im hoping its nothing stupid like getting a new axle
it is, its the cv shaft or shafts. i went through the same problems a while back, replaced the shafts, no more shaking under acceleration. and replacing them isn't all that hard, its also a good time to replace the balljoints as well since it doesn't require much more work to remove the knuckle.

Last edited by 03aspec; 02-25-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjar03
Mine is 02 TL at 100k miles and I replaced my front engine mount myself and while doing it I have noticed that my driver’s side upper ball joint has significant play in it. The car wobbled when accelerating so I have thought this is it since I new my lower ball joints are ready to be replaced as well. So it was so bad with joints and me being very tight with time and since this is the only car we have, I had to bite the bullet and took it to the nearby Honda dealership and let them replace my upper arms (I did not want to replace just the upper ball joints) and lower ball joints on both front sides of course.

After this, with new mount, lower ball joints and upper arms, my car still wobbles but like I said, only when I accelerate especially above 50mph. It is less then it was before arms, mount and lower ball joints were replaced but still it does it only when the car accelerates and it is not noticeable below 40mph or so. Above that, especially during brisk acceleration, the car wobbles/shakes.
This makes me wonder what it can be. Could it be bearings?
Any ideas? When I am coasting the car is fine, only while the car accelerates it shakes/wobbles.
This began last year in the fall approximately but it was very mild and I thought that it has to do with the joints/mounts so I did not pay too much attention to it.

I am going back to the dealership tomorrow to try to figure out what is it with them, but I would appreciate any ideas from you guys.
thats the exact same problem i had, replacing the cv shafts is the answer. i also wouldnt go to the dealership to get it done either, buy new ones from napa, have them replaced by a trustworthy mechanic, or if your mechanicaly inclined you can do it your self.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

I'm having the same problem!!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Well, it is sort of confirmed to be Axle Assembly but here is the story from the Honda dealership that I went to.

The technician claims the problem is Axle Assembly that needs to be replaced on the passenger (right) side only. He is telling me that this is common and it usually goes just on the right side (passenger side).
Of course all this in addition to ball joints and engine mounts that at least in my case no doubt needed to be replaced. All of a sudden you may get the filling that the solid car is falling a part, I bought this car brand new.
Like I have commented, I was able to replace mounts myself but my joints were so bad I had to make a sacrifice and go to the nearby Honda dealer (they just happen to be very close to where I live).
Since I already paid close to $1000 CAD for both upper arms (they come with ball joints) plus both lower ball joints and they did not tell me that Axle Assembly needs to be done as well after according to them performing thorough check, they said to me they will install Axle Assembly for free if I bring the part in.
Also I am suspicious about alignment they are sort of forcing me to do. Because after they replaced arms and lower ball joints, my steering wheel is off center slightly to the right. The car is going straight and I did not notice any misalignment.

Would you guys know anything about this? Did they do this may be to make me pay extra $100 for straightening my steering wheel essentially, since I do not think the alignment is an issue and I am wondering why would my wheel be off center after this?

Now, I am in Canada but regardless, I saw that OEM Axle Assembly is so pricy so I was able to find it on the web for $100 CAD shipped to my door. It is here:

http://www.importcarpartscanada.ca/index.wws

USA site is: http://www.bestpricecarparts.com/index.wws It costs US $81.24.

The part is made by EMPI http://www.empius.com/cvjoints/aboutempi.html according to what is says on this site, so at this moment I cannot know about quality or fitment or… I just hope for the best since the price is good (may be I am throwing my money through the window by going this route) and being here in Canada does not give me many more choices. I have ordered it already and I will see how it is all going to turn out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

What is your opinion on all this? Does anybody have experience with EMPI parts?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Looking further around, I figured that NAPA is present in Canada as well (please do not laugh, I just had no idea).
Just called the nearest NAPA store and they offer lifetime warranty on new Axle Assembly or remanufactured. The price as they told me is $150 CAD for the new and about $130 CAD for the remanufactured but then you have to give them your old one (which does not make much sense to buy remanufactured then). It should take a day to order.
Also, I can see that that replacing Axle Assembly is not that difficult but then again, it is 1 hour labor charge max plus the cost of alignment (if necessary). OEM price is obscene.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

acura quoted me something stupid for a new axle, about $750 if i remember correctly. but that is kind of funny, lol, napa has been in canada for the longest time. and yes, get the alignment done. it usually costs about $90-100.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Instructor

I'm "still" going through the same crap w/ my '02 TL type s. It was shaking...almost violently...under acceleration at 40mph-60mph then "disappears" until I'm in that speed UNDER acceleration. Well, I replaced just one (driver's side). Got the axle new from Autozone. It still does some shaking but it's not as bad. I need brakes first, so the passanger side axle's going to have to wait. Hope it doesn't totally give out before I can get to it.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced

I cured the problem on mine by replacing passenger side axle assembly. I had to go to napa and here in Canada, they charged me 125 plus tax for the remanufactured one. They provide 3 yrs. warranty on those. The new one is lifetime warranty for about $20 more but in my case, the guy ordered remanufactured (god knows why) and I could not wait.
The axle that I have ordered from http://www.importcarpartscanada.ca/index.wws turned out to be god knows what, definitely not the one that I have ordered even though the label on the box is correct. All in all, DO NOT ORDER from them unless you want problems since I am going through them now trying to return it to them. The guy who represents himself as Mack was very rude, impolite ….We will see how far I need to go with all that crap.

All in all, the bottom line with all this appears to be not just this or that but rather all of these related things together like

1) Engine mounts
2) Arms/ball joints
3) Axle assembly

At least all of these need to be solid for sure for the car to get back to normal.
It is quite possible that deterioration of CV joint in these cars happens because of bad mounts and ball joints that do not get timely attention. The top of my engine mount was separated like a top of the can after you run the can opener through it.
And of course, to top it all off, I did alignment for $115 CAD tax in.

For now I have two more items on my “to do” list. To smooth out the rotors which I know need to be machined even when new to get that nice and smooth braking (I replaced my rotors last year but was reluctant to spit $120 for machining rotors) and to replace those bloody links at the back to finally make them silent.