Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Wipers

Anyone have an opinion on what are good windshield wipers? Got to get new one's and just wondering if there are any to stay away from?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:44 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll tell ya, i've bought bosch, anco(sp?), and a few different ones, and the bosch were the nicest, BUT every single wiper i've had on the tl i find that i have to wipe the rubber blades down once or twice a week with windex. otherwise they build up too much gunk and i find them to be pretty useless in the rain. i really have never had this much of a problem before. i am curious to see what the others recommend.

SSTS
Old 08-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Desi Pride

Just by the replacements refills from dealer parts counter. The refills are less than 6 dollars. The problem is true about the build up though. The build up on mine is not that much though. Try Rain-X on the windsheild and see if that helps. Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

I like the Bosch or PIAA wipers and you can get refills for them too. I also try not too put toom much wax on the hood, I found that the excess wax tends to splash onto the windshield when mixed with the rain.
I also flip the inserts of the wipers over so that it does not alway leaning to the same side. Is a little trick that I picked up when I was the maintenance director at Avis car rental. It gets expensive when you need to get wiper replacements for 5 to 8 thousand cars. You would be amazed how much better it gets when you flip the inserts. It basically double the life of the inserts.
I usually flip them the same time when I get an oil change and I am able to get about one year out of each inserts then replace them with refills.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

i use the PIAA brand, there silicone, but there expensive! the best wiper i have ever had! comes with a silicone packet to prep the windshield for great break in , i have them on since december and i like them alot. my ACURA OEM wipers would chatter and skip and made the wiper arm make a grinding noise. but when i switched to the PIAA wiper and blade arm, its now quiet and smooth. a real big difference for about $27 for driver side and $24 for passanger side on the internet somewhere.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Try flipping your inserts for every oil changes, because when the wipers comes to rest at the bottom of the winshield it puts pressure on the blade. No matter how good or expensive and Silicone or not, over time the blade will start to lean to one side. If you lift your wiper off the windshield and look down the side of the blade and you will know what I mean.
It would extend the life of the blade then the $27/$24 price tag would not seem as bad.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Head Wanker

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
i'll tell ya, i've bought bosch, anco(sp?), and a few different ones, and the bosch were the nicest, BUT every single wiper i've had on the tl i find that i have to wipe the rubber blades down once or twice a week with windex. otherwise they build up too much gunk and i find them to be pretty useless in the rain. i really have never had this much of a problem before. i am curious to see what the others recommend.

SSTS

I got the PIAA ones because the stock blades were so much crap. They work much better than stock but I still have to clean them everytime I wash my car or else it does leave a weird residue when you wipe. Note that on the instructions for the PIAA it says don't wipe your blades or else it will deform the silicone or something. I ignore it since not doing so makes the wipers useless.

Originally Posted by laserbeamtypeS
i use the PIAA brand, there silicone, but there expensive! the best wiper i have ever had! comes with a silicone packet to prep the windshield for great break in , i have them on since december and i like them alot. my ACURA OEM wipers would chatter and skip and made the wiper arm make a grinding noise. but when i switched to the PIAA wiper and blade arm, its now quiet and smooth. a real big difference for about $27 for driver side and $24 for passanger side on the internet somewhere.
The "silicone packet" is just an alcohol pad packaged real nice and with Japanese writing on it.

Originally Posted by TLs2003
Try flipping your inserts for every oil changes, because when the wipers comes to rest at the bottom of the winshield it puts pressure on the blade. No matter how good or expensive and Silicone or not, over time the blade will start to lean to one side. If you lift your wiper off the windshield and look down the side of the blade and you will know what I mean.
It would extend the life of the blade then the $27/$24 price tag would not seem as bad.
Good idea. I'll try that, although taking the wipers off the blade and putting them back on does take some (suprisingly) involving coaxing. That's why some people rather replace the blade than just the wiper refills.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Athena says 'hi'

I actually got wipers yesterday -- I'm trying two different brands -- one was the Bosch Premium blades and the other is a Anco Premium. I'm gonna see which one lasts longer. The main thing that was important was the steel blade instead of plastic..

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/editp...post&p=913309#
Old 08-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserbeamtypeS
I have the PIAA Silicon wipers too (had them for about 5 months now) and they really are fantastic. If you keep them up (as in, keep them clean and don't try to run them to get hard substances like bird poop off - which gouges the silicon), they are almost totally silent and don't streak. They work well due to the silicon blades wiping a very thin layer of silicon on your windshield (which you can't see it at all). Since water doesn't stick to silicon, you can practically drive without running your wipers... not that I condone this practice. The only downside is if you let them get dirty and start running them. Again, since they are designed to rub off on your windshield, any dirt on the blade gets stuck to the windshield, and then covered with a layer of silicon. Not really a big deal, just kind of annoying at times.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i always keep a coating of RAIN X on my windsheild at all times...it really helps. I find that my stock wipers are pretty good...on my other car i have BOSCH MICRO EDGE EXCELL blades, and it must be from the blades cuz the RAIN X doesn't last more than 1 rainfall....it REALLY sucks....so i'm definitely going to buy ACURA replacements. only 1 question though, you think the ACURA parts dept replacement will be the same or really close to what CAME on our cars??...thanks. -shawn
Old 10-26-2004, 11:47 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, I know it's an old thread but I had to give another vote to PIAA silicon wipers. Just got them installed and took my TL out for a little drive in the rain (pretty heavy). The results? I did not even have to use the wipers once the whole way driving around a few blocks. Why? Thanks to the silicon treatment the water droplets rolls right off to the top of the car when you are at a decent speed (say 30+ mph).

Using the wiper blades cleans up the vision even more... it's amazing... you just gotta see it for yourself. I just hope the silicon layer doesn't die on me too quickly... though I have an extra packet of treatment saved for later.

Well worth the 40 bucks (the whole set shipped) spent!