Window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 04:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tinting

Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting a tint job on my TL but I wanted to air out some concerns. First of all, the place I talked to says they've got two types, a normal one (warrentied for 5 years), and a metallic-based one with a lifetime warrenty. The question I have is will this metallic based tint interfere with the radio reception, since the antenna is on the rear window? I've also heard this stuff could impact Navigation System operation/accuracy. Does anybody have any insight to these problems? Should I just stick to the normal stuff to be safe?
Old 04-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

On my GSX I have Llumar PT 35 on all windows. The PT tint has platinum and titanium metals mixed in. For the first few days (while the tint was still wet) I had horrible stereo reception. (the GSX has both antennas, power mast combined with in glass.)
Once the tint dried my reception got much better. Sometimes my AM sux, but with the 35% tint, it's not bad.
I have heard it doesn't affect GPS, but have no experience in that department.

Another thing to consider is the dreaded "matix" in our TL back windows. You'll need to do something about that since the tint won't stick very well.

baggs
Old 04-01-2002, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

A vinyl strip across the back window does a real good job covering up the matrix. If you can do a search, you can find out who did this and how they did it. They even had some pics as well.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

the metallic tint (a.k.a. titanium tint) doesnt affect the GPS or radio signal in my car.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:22 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TLover8888
the metallic tint (a.k.a. titanium tint) doesnt affect the GPS or radio signal in my car.
I believed it did affect some other members here.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BlackShadow

I believed it did affect some other members here.
oh
wonder why?
Old 04-02-2002, 01:42 AM
Racer

I would not get the metallic one, I would just get DARK tint, because some places they will ticket you more than others one the metallic one than having it too dark. I have 6% tint on mine and haven't gotten stopped once for it..... I'm not sure about the interference but you have to consider the cops around you as well...... I know that my tint doesn't interfere with my custom system at all!!
Old 04-02-2002, 09:02 AM
Intermediate

I've got 35% Madico metallic graphite tint on my car. It does affect the NAVI, but it still works.

Before I had the tint, using the "secret" navi menu, I had 5 satellites when I turned the car on, and it would find the other 3 withing 30 seconds tops.

With the tint, I have 2-3 satellites when I turn the car on, but it finds the other ones, usually all 8 still, but it takes a little longer, maybe 60-90 seconds. I will drop down to the yellow bars a little more often than when I had no tint.

Despite not having the satellites immediately, our cars "remember" our last position, and the gyroscope does a pretty good job of keeping track of where we go.

One thing you can try is to have your tinter lay a piece of tint across the driver side of your rear window (that's where your GPS antenna is) and see how much that particular brand/metallic level affects your navi. That's what I did and my tinter had absolutely no problem with doing it.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:15 AM
10th Gear

So it looks like the metallic tint does have some adverse side effects to the radio and Navigation system reception. Dang, that's less than encouraging. I guess I'll have to really think about which one I want.

What is this "secret" menu for the Nav system, and how do I get to it?
Old 04-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Pro

Lumar tint film does NOT affect the Navi system !!! I got Lumar PT 28% tint. No problem.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

With the debate as to whether or not metallic tint film affects GPS signal reception, it almost seems like a pi**ing contest.

I'm no tint product expert but I would imagine that not all metallic tint films are created equal, let alone trying to figure out what kind of "metal" and how much of it is in it. Not trying to knock any particular brand of tint film but this stuff needs to be taken into account as to which metal films don't affect GPS reception and which ones do. I mean, some tint company can put a few flakes of metal in a roll of tint film during the tint-making process and therefore be able to call it "metallic", no?

Bottom line--I would think that some metallic tint films don't affect signal reception as much as other films due in part to the type of metal and how much of it is in the film.

Tony
Old 04-02-2002, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think you have 3 types of tint out there correct me if I am wrong.
You have the Dyed the Hybrid Metallic & the Full Mettallic Tints.
I have the Dyed or had the dyed tint on my car. This was because I was unsure & other people were unsure if it would mess with Nav or Radio . The service maneger at my dealership told me a few years ago before I got the tint some people have problems & some don't. The guy that owns the Ziebert franchaise were I got the tint said the same thing. I went with the dyed Madico tint 50% all around. I got 50% instead of the 35% because of D.C. laws. Even with the 50% I am not legal on the sides only on the rear. We have to go thru inspection every 2ys & this is when they get you. I went thru last week with the TL for the fist time. I took the tint off on the sides to pass inspection. I go this Friday to have the car re tinted. I will get the light tint to match the back window. I don't know what kind I will get just as long as it goes with the back thats already on the car. The full Mettallic last the longest with no effects the dyed will last about 5 or 6yrs. I figure I have to take mine off every 2yrs so the dyed will be allright. The mettallic also has better heat rejection. The guy that owns the Ziebert told me that if you smoke what ever that will have affect on your tint. I don't smoke so I don't have any problem. I let you know what kind I get on the sides Friday.