Window Tint Ticket . . . Any Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint Ticket . . . Any Help?

As the title suggests, I finally got pulled over for illegal window tinting on the front doors while going southbound on the 405. I don't know if it's the same in all the places, but the one I went to in Westminister have 4 variations: Light, Medium, Dark, and Limo black tint--I did Dark all around.

The car is gonna look ugly if I strip just the front. Can someone help? Is there anything I can do?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just do what i do. Strip off the tint, clean the glue off, take it to highway patrol have them sign it off, take the ticket to the courts pay the $10 processing fee at the window then go straight to the tint shop and have them tint them again.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1fasttl
Strip off the tint, clean the glue off, take it to highway patrol have them sign it off, take the ticket to the courts pay the $10 processing fee at the window then go straight to the tint shop and have them tint them again.
Hahhh I like your style. Hmmm, but say I get pulled over again for the second time with illegal tint, wouldn't that be extreme on me considering the cops had once already ticketed me before?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:26 PM
professional TL driver

its a non moving violation ticket.... all they could do is fine you. no points on your license. that being said what proof does the cop have? did he actually take a reading with a tint meter? or did he just look at it? do you know what percentage you got? i need more to go on.... im not a lawyer but i have faced these charges before.... also did the tint shop tell you it was illegal? did you pay by credit card? gimme details
Old 12-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

If you know any cops, ask them to sign it off for you and just pay the $10 fixing ticket. Thats what I did.
Racer

well in cali if there is anything above stock, then they can ticket you, so they dont really need a meter to do it... sucks that it had to be you though, i see prb 3 out of every 5 cars on the 405 with tint in the front (including myself), sucks that you had to be one of them...

Did the cop just spot you while he/she was driving? always curious, as i drive past many cops and they dont seem to care... i guess he had to meet his quota for the end of the year.

I would do what 1fasttl or what 98tlracer did, and thats what i plan on doing if i ever get caught.
Banned

ok first thing you did wrong was pulled over with your windows up. i got pulled over for "rolling threw a stop sign" a while back. i have limo and on my front windshield i have a special film. My car is impposibble to see in. I got pulled over and rolled all my windows down. The officer asked me to roll up my windows and i said "they broke". what can they can do? They cant demand you to put them up, and they cant put there hand in and touch ur car unless they have probable cause. It's better then going getting the fine,taking off your tint, and waisting your money.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe you can pay the (higher) fine and you're done! might end up being the same as clearing the ticket and retinting the window.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:39 AM
Racer

Why not just lighten up the tint on the front windows? My CL's windows are dark all the way around (because in Georgia you can have the tint as dark as you want) but on my BMW, the tint is 20 in rear, 30 or 35 in front. At night you really can't tell!
Old 12-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
#1 you will never get pulled over for tints, so you must of done something else to get pulled over, and cop just gave you the ticket for something as stupid as the tints. Also, if the cop didnt use any method of checking the tint, a special tint meter, or a flashlight test, then you can fight the ticket.

#2 All it is an equipment fine, pay it, 50 bux or whatever it is, and forget about it

I already had 5 of those tickets, they dont mean a thing (in the span of 6 years)

If you think about it is the same money as retinting, so just keep what you have.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Did the cop check the "YES" box on the ticket? If not, you have to pay the full fine. Or go before the judge and beg for mercy.

Remember in California ANY infraction citation can become a misdemeanor on the third or subsequent violation (for the same violation) in any 12 month period. Thats right folks, your third tinted window citation in a 12 month period can become a misdemeanor. THAT SUCKS!

Most cops don't care if you ahve light tint in Cali. But dark tint will probably get you a stupid ticket.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Racer

ONAGER:
I live in California, I believe any tint in the front windows is illegal. I paid cash at the shop I went to. As for the percentage, I believe it was 5%, meaning 5% of light can only penetrate through I think. And, yes, the shop did tell me in advance that it's illegal lol. The cop did not use any meter to read as it was obvious I had dark tint since it was on a bright, sunny day.

Neogeek:
The cop spot me while I drove passed him, about to make an exit. I was so close to getting off the freeway when he decided to pull me over. I guess fate had a different idea on Christmas Eve...

rollinacrua19:
Actually, I did roll my front windows down. But you know what? Hahhh he came up along the side of the car and immediately said, "Hello, how're you doing? You can go ahead and roll up your windows because I saw that it's tinted." I did not committ any wrongdoing, basically he pulled me over for the tint.

cofidis2:
He did check the box "YES." So it is correctable, meaning I'd have to strip the tint, show proof that I did to an official, and then appear in court to have a final witness inspect it and pay the transaction fee.

But what's this talk of me just paying for a higher fine? If what TeknoKing and StanMan said is true, that I could just pay $50 or so, then I'd gladly do that than stripping my tint off. Because I'm planning to put dark tint back on again after I clear the ticket. However, when I look at the ticket, it instructs me to correct it, no such thing I see saying I can pay a higher fine and get away.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Yes you can just pay the Bail amount and be done with it. If you pay the full bail (fine) then no one ever looks at your car. However, i believe the fine is now near the $100.00 mark for a first offense tinted window ticket in California, so check with the court....if you were cited in Los Angeles county go to :

www.lasuperiorcourt.org

click on "General Information" under the traffic section, then click on "search Ticket" enter your info and it should tell you how much you owe for the full bail.

for Orange County courts go to:

http://www.occourts.org/traffic/

and follow the instructions...

Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rolinacura19
ok first thing you did wrong was pulled over with your windows up. i got pulled over for "rolling threw a stop sign" a while back. i have limo and on my front windshield i have a special film. My car is impposibble to see in. I got pulled over and rolled all my windows down. The officer asked me to roll up my windows and i said "they broke". what can they can do? They cant demand you to put them up, and they cant put there hand in and touch ur car unless they have probable cause. It's better then going getting the fine,taking off your tint, and waisting your money.

i have 15% all around and when i got pulled over i made sure to role down my front two windows; in some states you can get a doctors note that allows you to have the front two windows tinted you might check that out
Old 12-31-2004, 03:39 AM
Intermediate

Cousin of mine got a $250 ticket for having her windows tinted 20% in Boston. That's just crazy. I heard that it is around $110 in NYC, is this correct?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:22 AM
WhizzBomb

In MD it's only $50, but it's discretionary. They can (and usually do) just issue an inspection citation.

I was pulled over once by a state trooper and he said the reason he pulled me over was the tint. (Stereo was off and was under the speed limit).

OTOH I've been pulled over 4 times since then and have had no problem with the tint. I think it totally depends on the cops mood that day.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 12-31-2004, 10:29 AM
GO TIME

I got a ticket for $250 for having 19% tint on the front. My buddy got a ticket for $750 for having 5% tint on his mustang
Old 12-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Registered Driver

Instead of stripping it and getting it retinted, couldn't you just get another set of front windows to switch in/out? I know someone around here who does that with their truck, and has had to switch a few times. Probably cheaper in the long run.