will talking to Acura Corp in this manner help???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry will talking to Acura Corp in this manner help???

Please care to read this...

This is beyond being pissed off. I have a '99TL with 107K. I drive normally, don't speed, just trying to enjoy my ride. What do you know, when i got this junk @ 98K i got a check engine light and my tranny is slipping now. I went to a dealer yesterday and the guy tells me that my catalytic converter, PCM and Tranny went. My car barely drives. I called Acura Corp. and they opened the case on me. By threatening them with publicizing this problem over ABC radio (i know the VP) and a local TV station, do you think they might do something???

I know the guy on this forum had his tranny changed @ 107K for free. Whoever you are, please leave me an email @ bbznyc@lycos.com

What are my chances????

Thanks a lot to all. I am eagerly waiting for all responses. If they will not fix this car for free or at least give me a reasonable offer, i will make sure that every single person in NYC will hear me speak!!!

(I have a dream.....)

Old 09-23-2003, 11:54 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you for real?
Not to play devil's advocate because there are indeed tranny issues afloat with HOA, you bought a used car with 98k miles! Who knows what was done to it before you got it.

You very well may get some sort of compromise offer on the transmission, maybe even get it all covered, but what makes you think other items would be covered at all with 107k miles on the car? Good customer service--even owning up to potential transmission defects--isn't a license to get a used car repaired for free...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Unhappy

But acura supposed to be mid-full luxury sedan. I am not buying a ford or a chevy, these cars were supposed to last for years. And even if something does go wrong... would a rational person expect it to be a tranny??? or a Catalytic converter??? I don't think so... maybe a water pump or an oil change, but not these parts, i thought they were supposed to last for more than 100K. If acura will not take care of this... Lexus will be next!!!

hmm....
Old 09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only reason the converter went south on ya is because of another problem up in the engine. It's just the part that dies as a result of another problem.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
lover and fighter

Go find a Consumer Reports and look at cars and reliability from 1999 and you'll see. If you think further, it is a 4 year old car with more than double the national mileage average. Likewise, name a manufacturer that gives any warranty--limited or not--beyond 100k miles?

You'd have more of a gripe if you owned this car from day one or had a complete, documented service history of the used car. Maybe even somewhat of a break with a certified, pre-owned program, but gimme a break, you have no idea where that car has been. It could have been pulling ATV's on a trailer up mountains for the last 4 years...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:32 PM
Drifting

R10apple, you go boy!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Instructor

This car has been cared for and maintained by a NJ dealership. It was a single owner. I have a record and everything, most probably by a salesman of some sort.

What are some price points i should look at for the tranny and the catalytic conv, before selling it.

Thanks...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Put yourself in my shoes... Do you have $4,000 for these repairs. I've never heard of a lexus or even infinity having these types of problems. I am just pissed!!!

If i would be one of million, its one thing, but plenty of people had similar issues...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:57 PM
7th Gear

Regardless of the fact that a dealer maintained your car, mechanical items break. A catylitic converter being clogged at 100K isn't that unusual. The car may have a lot of idle time on it which will really hasten them becoming clogged. Simply put, you bought a car with a 100K miles on it. Did you honestly believe that you were going to buy a completely problem free car? If you didn't know that the TL's were experiencing transmission problems, then you didn't do any serious research on the used car that you were considering. If you did know about the transmission problems with the TL, then what did you expect? Chances are, if you're pleasant and stand firm about Acura replacing the transmission on a good faith act, you'll be ok. If you act like a ranting, raving child the dealer is not going to work for you. Simply put, you've got a car that is considered 5 years old and over a 100k on it. You're going to fix things now and then.

I traded my TL for a 2003 Lexus GS300. Lexus are nice cars, but don't fool yourself into thinking that they don't have problems either. Lexus replaced my car after owning it for 3 months because the paint started peeling off the car. The 2002 and newer ES300 has had transmission issues and the 3.0 V6 has had oil gelling issues. No car manufacturer makes a problem free car. With the TL you get an incredible amount of car for what you pay. And a 30K price tag is nothing out of the ordinary for a car or truck today, so don't think that because a car originally cost that much you're entitled to a problem free car. The sticker on the GS was 42K and I certainly didn't get a problem free car and I don't think that it entitles me to a completely trouble free car. I would love it to be that way, but that isn't reality. Life isn't always fair and you just have to make the best of any situation. My .02.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Racer

I hear that you're upset, but try buying a BMW or Audi with 100k miles then you'll know pain

You learned the hard way: when buying a used car, you need to make sure you have enough set aside for repairs.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by bbznyc
This car has been cared for and maintained by a NJ dealership. It was a single owner. I have a record and everything, most probably by a salesman of some sort.
I got this Bridge that connects Brooklyn to Manhattan that I want to sell you!!
Listen Like everyone else has told you you bought a car that had 98K miles on it. DId you pay the extra cash for a warrenty from the NJ dealer? If not then umm.... that's your fault. 107K miles is a lot of miles on any car, Acura, BMW, Lexus..... etc... 107K miles!!!!!!:wow: you expect it to run worry free?

Even if it is know about Acura's Tranny issue you really can not expect them to honor your claim for a Free Tranny fix. thats like me saying I'm going to by a light from you and 5-6 years down the road if the light blows you have to fix it free of cost (the light blowing is obvious like the tranny dying this you would have know if you did the research on the vehicle) Acura extended the warranty on the bad trannies to 7years or 100,000 Miles guess what you got 107,000 miles ... Need I say More
Old 09-23-2003, 01:58 PM
lover and fighter

Now that others have chimed in and you can see the wisdom beyond that in my wise@$$ approach, I'll help you...

My dealer here is replacing trannies for just over $1500 on the '99 TL. You can get an aftermarket cat for less than $400 from Random Tech...PCM, dunno...

You can go to acura-cl.com and PM Jens who works for Acura service and will get you realistic prices. I think he also works/lives in either NY or NJ...

Now, just in case you are still fuming and the wisdom did not sink in, used is used. New is new. A car is a depreciating money-pit requiring upkeep and will never be perfect.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but you really shouldn't be mad at Acura.....in the end it comes down to this: you bought a USED car with 100K on it. Just cause it was dealer cared for means nothing...I bet the sales guy had it and when he had the problem he sold it They prolly reset the light and put it out on the lot for someone like you to come along perhaps? I dont know...just brainstorming! But thats my .02
Old 09-23-2003, 04:05 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

a 4 year old car with 100+K on it.. is there any wisdom in buying a car that "young" with that many miles??

My 99 was 3 years old when i bought it.. with 35k miles on it! i'd NEVER have bought one with more than 40k on it

Tracer
Old 09-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude, I have 164,000 miles on my '00 TL and the local dealer just did the tranny, ECU and a motor mount and alternator for $1805! I talked nice to them and they were very cooperative. They could have told me to get lost. You are also due for timing belt and water pump.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Thank you everyone for such insightful replies. I have learned couple of things and although it wasn't nice i will bare these sad thoughts. As soon as the tranny goes completely, i will contact appropriate people who honestly offered help.

Thanks to all, i will be around...

But dawm this sucks....
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Instructor

I feel your pain

I have a less extreme case, but I do have my gripes about Acura. I, too, have a '99 TL and have about 114,000 miles on it. I am the only owner of the car, and have had no MAJOR problems.

BUT, at around 98,000 I have been feeling tranny slip, but it is not terribly bad. Heck, I'm surprised I am stil able to drive the damn thing.

Up to now, I have not received ANY other recall notice (EGR thing, tranny, etc.) except for the ignition thing. Is this normal? How come they only sent me the first one and not the other?

My check engine light came on at 78,000 miles, and the dealer found that it was the EGR valve...a local mechanic friend told me that usually, most cars cover emissions parts for around 70K-80K miles, so I went to Acura and they told me that they didn't...THey quoted me $450 for the repairs, so I said I'll do it next time. What REALLY pissed me off is that there was a recall issued for the EGR ting, and the dealer didn't tell me...WTF!!! Well, I found out about the recall way later...They should have told me about the recall, but instead, they wanted to make some money off me...

Anyway, I plan on going back to that same dealer and tell them about this and see what they're going to do. Maybe I can get a deal on the tranny thing, too.

Sorry for rambling...

The moral of the story is that ANY car is plain luck. My family has a '90 Caddy with over 250,000miles on it and EVERYTHING is original. My Acura hasn't given me too much grief except for the EGR and tranny. Go figure.

BUt I read all these people on these boards saying how they are on their 3rd tranny and shiz. Hmmmm...

All I know is that my next car is going to be manual tranny...

One last thing...Acura could do better. All in all, they seem to make good cars, that don't justify the higher price than an Accord. I feel that if they think "Acura" is the "luxury" line of Honda, they should've put more thought into the cars than they did on our cars. Acura should strive to be what Lexus is to Toyota, and not jut care about cranking out cars just because.

I am sure the '04 Tl is a product of all our *****ing and moaning here, so at least they put more thought into that.

Ok, sorry for wasting all of your times, butr I just had to get that off my chest. Thanks.

Ok, Ok, Ok, REALLY last thing...Anyone know GOOD service Acura dealers in the L.A. area? I am willing to drive a bit, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Race Director

I think even a maybach would have probs after 107k miles in only 4 years..

Another reason not to buy used cars
Old 09-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Got my stuff resolved, more or less..

Here is the scoop guys..

1. Acura offered me Free Transmission and PCM computer. - will it be a new or a rebuilt one?

2. They told me labor will be around $900 because it takes 11hrs to put tranny into the car. Is it really true??? I think it's too much. How much should it be?

3. They said that New Catalytic converter will be around $600 plus $250 for the 02 sensors, plus more labor.... Is cat that expensive???

Guys, please let me know... thanks! I want to get my baby fixed.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Instructor

guys... please post a reply to my previous post... need it asap.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by r10apple
You can get an aftermarket cat for less than $400 from Random Tech...PCM, dunno...

You can go to acura-cl.com and PM Jens who works for Acura service and will get you realistic prices. I think he also works/lives in either NY or NJ...

Look into That
Old 09-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Thanks for helping me with my stupidity....
Old 10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Gold Coast Acura charges 5.5 hours for a tranny swap on the 5 speed
Old 10-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

[i]
Now, just in case you are still fuming and the wisdom did not sink in, used is used. New is new. A car is a depreciating money-pit requiring upkeep and will never be perfect.
[/B]
Old 10-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Hey guys,

Resolution is near!

this is funny s#@t,

1. The "check engine light went off" How can this be??? It's been on for 1 month. I did poor in some cat cleaner. Does that mean that my crazy catolytic conv. is fine now??? (self healing)

2. Acura of Manhatten offered the following deal. They give me tranny and PCM computer for free but i have to pay for the labor for 9hrs!!! that means if they charge $90 an hour, i will $810. And i will basically have a new car. Since i know how much it could've cost, i am very happy camper.

3. The service rep told me that they are being paid for 8.5 hrs by Acura Corp to fix someones tranny on the warranty. Is that true???

4. Now that everything straightened out, i can breath easier.

BTW, thanks to all who responded!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:45 AM
lover and fighter

Now see, you ARE getting MORE than is normal or really even owed! Not so bad after all!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by bbznyc
Hey guys,

Acura of Manhatten

3. The service rep told me that they are being paid for 8.5 hrs by Acura Corp to fix someones tranny on the warranty. Is that true???
:wow: I am in some sh!t right now with them. Had the car for Almost two months still haven't receieved my Plates.. and slowly realizing their service Sucks. I've made continueous calls to talk to someone and no one has called me back. Just make sure the work they do for you is quality.... and refuse to pay if otherwise.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Acura of Manhattan is the worst..I've complained about them several times..