Wife says "NO WAY" but what do youguys think

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife says "NO WAY" but what do youguys think

So here is a situation and a question for you guys and gals...

I am getting my car painted on the 20th of this month. I am going back with the Dark Emerald Pearl and getting an OEM spoiler kit painted and puut on it as well. They are doing an all over paint job but will not be painting the jams and under the hood etc since I am not changing the color. This was the plan until yesterday I got the wild idea (after reading this forum and all you guys saying to do something different. dont be afraid to be different) to paint the car yellow. like a canary yellow or something like that. Obviously i would have to pay a bit more because if i did this i would have to get the jams and under thehood etc painted too.

So i went home and said, "honey, what do you think about a yellow car?" to which she said, "what are you talking about, getting the acura painted yellow?". I said yes and she said, and i believe i quote, " I hate it." Well obviously I am not gonna get it painted yellow now as it would cost more and she wouldn't like it. She said that it was not the right type of car for that color, that she liked yellow on some sports cars but the TL would look wrong that color.

Here is my question.... have you guys/gals ever seen a yellow TL and what do you think of the look it would have? Personally as i have said before I have this image of a shiny yellow TL with a dark red (almost burgandy) BBK, an oem wrap around spoiler kit, no rear wing, tinted windows, and some fly arse rims. In my mind it is wicked hot but sadly i will not see it in my driveway.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Racer

hey man...if u like it go for it...i have never seen a yellow TL before...might be new..but what ur wife said..might be right. But...I mean if u like it soo much...go for it man!! I mean c'mon u had dreams or images of it...DO IT!!
Old 06-09-2005, 02:19 PM
i

i've also imagined how my car would look with certain things that many ppl wouldnt do.

I love yellow on some cars, especially that very bright shiny yellow u have in mind, and yellow is my fav color, but I don't think it would look that great on a TL. Im looking at mine right now through the window tryin to imagine it, it would def. be an attention getter, but the TL seems like too elegant of a car for a shiny yellow.

But then again, it might just be cuz ive never seen a bright yellow TL. You c bright yellow ferrari's and lamborghinis all the time which is why they probably look so sweet in that color...it might look cool.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Racer

yellow on sports cars looks pretty good, but although i can picture a yellow tl i cant say i'd like to actually see one.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I've only ever seen a 1st gen in yellow. See link below.

http://members.tripod.com/spoiledimp...w_acuraTL.html
Old 06-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I vote no IMHO. but if you think it would come out nice go for it! I've seen alot of controversial ideas on this forum that actually end up looking nice..
Old 06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
How about that somewhat burnt orangy colour that the NSX has as a colour option?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:35 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
I've only ever seen a 1st gen in yellow. See link below.

http://members.tripod.com/spoiledimp...w_acuraTL.html
I actually like the way that 1st gen looks.

Considering we put spoilers, body kits, rims, and other accessories on most of our cars, I really have to throw out the ''elegant'' aspect of this argument against the paint job. I mean the car isn't a Mercedes S-class, whenever people comment on my car they talk about how sporty it looks. Two of the best colors for the TL in my opinion, FPR and ABP, are actually very sporty colors and they look great when done up properly. I think it would actually look pretty good.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Cruisin'

if it was the newer TL, i would say yes. but this style, i would pass. our TL model is a big boat/family type sedan. so, i'd have to agree with your wife. plus ur wife gonna hate it anyway.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM
tank is coming through

imo, i think only sport car will look good with yellow. my friend had juse show me a new color last week its called peach pearl, i didnt like it at 1st but it started to grow on me so check that color out. oh btw, its you call if you like yellow i say go for it man.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:51 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

I guess it should look pretty much like this... this is an old picture of BadazzTL's car I PSed a while ago...:

IMO, with a kit, a good drop and nice, sporty wheels, along with cleared headlights and inspire tail lights, I think it would give the TL a sporty look and that it could actually look pretty good!

-justin
Old 06-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gingerbreadman
So here is a situation and a question for you guys and gals...

I am getting my car painted on the 20th of this month. I am going back with the Dark Emerald Pearl and getting an OEM spoiler kit painted and puut on it as well. They are doing an all over paint job but will not be painting the jams and under the hood etc since I am not changing the color. This was the plan until yesterday I got the wild idea (after reading this forum and all you guys saying to do something different. dont be afraid to be different) to paint the car yellow. like a canary yellow or something like that. Obviously i would have to pay a bit more because if i did this i would have to get the jams and under thehood etc painted too.

So i went home and said, "honey, what do you think about a yellow car?" to which she said, "what are you talking about, getting the acura painted yellow?". I said yes and she said, and i believe i quote, " I hate it." Well obviously I am not gonna get it painted yellow now as it would cost more and she wouldn't like it. She said that it was not the right type of car for that color, that she liked yellow on some sports cars but the TL would look wrong that color.

Here is my question.... have you guys/gals ever seen a yellow TL and what do you think of the look it would have? Personally as i have said before I have this image of a shiny yellow TL with a dark red (almost burgandy) BBK, an oem wrap around spoiler kit, no rear wing, tinted windows, and some fly arse rims. In my mind it is wicked hot but sadly i will not see it in my driveway.

If not yellow then something else...but I TOTALLY agree on the wanting to be different.

One thing to consider....are you ever going to sell the car again? Reason why I ask is because whenever there is a car with a custom paint job...the first thing that ALWAYS comes to mind is that it's been involved in a serious accident.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:58 PM
02 TL-s WDP

I VOTE Yes

Here is an Idea paint the car yellow but leave the hood and trunk and door jams, etc... black.

I did quick but really bad Photoshop render of it. *** original picture from MarcDavidoff***

Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think of a corvette when i think of yellow.... and maybe a protege5 mazda... probably because i see those the most. i dont think it fits many cars... yellow... especially the TL but if you like it, there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

I think if you are going to paint it yellow, you should paint it ALL yellow (jams, underhood, trunk, kit) but canary yellow... iono.. personally i think integra type-r yellow would be more suitable to the TL.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Instructor

That (well actually not that exactly but the yellow part) actually looks pretty hot Tappy. you are making me wish more and more the wife would ok the color. But as I said she doesnt like it... now does that mean i couldnt talk her into letting me do it... no , but if it looked like crap I would NEVER hear the end of it. Never ever never and even longer, heehee.

If someone that does photoshop well could do a 99 TL with a spoiler kit on it in yellow that would be awesome. Maybe the ole lady will like it if she sees it, heehee.

As far as some of the other issues raised.. I like the car a lot and will drive it til it is dead I am sure. If not dead, it will have so many miles that the color will not make much difference in the sale price, but that is a valid concern and one i thought about.

And if I did paint it yellow I would paint the whole thing... jams, underhood,(and overhood tappy), everything. *smiles*
Old 06-09-2005, 04:23 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

If someone that does photoshop well could do a 99 TL with a spoiler kit on it in yellow that would be awesome. Maybe the ole lady will like it if she sees it, heehee.

didnt you see my post! that's a 1999-2001 TL with the OEM kit
Old 06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, a yellow TL looks like a taxi.

However, that's my opinion. If you like it, go for it, but as others have said, I'd paint all of the car, i.e., door jambs, underside of the trunk lid, underside of the hood, etc.

Having said that, remember, if momma (wife) ain't happy, then no one is happy. Show her the Photoshopped TL. If she still says no, then I would not go with yellow because the yellow TL will serve as a constant irritant to her, which translates to a constant irritant to you.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
didnt you see my post! that's a 1999-2001 TL with the OEM kit

Sorry @cur@tl... i wish i could see the photo in that case but but it does not show for me... i just get a red x. Could you post a url instead that I could try?

I tryed http://gbanweb.kicks-ass.net/copperm...10001/yellowTL but it says web page unavailable. i'll try again later.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MikePA
Sorry, a yellow TL looks like a taxi.

However, that's my opinion. If you like it, go for it, but as others have said, I'd paint all of the car, i.e., door jambs, underside of the trunk lid, underside of the hood, etc.

Having said that, remember, if momma (wife) ain't happy, then no one is happy. Show her the Photoshopped TL. If she still says no, then I would not go with yellow because the yellow TL will serve as a constant irritant to her, which translates to a constant irritant to you.
Yea I agree. yellow belong on Straight sports car., s2000, corvette, u kno 2 door car. There is a 1 gen CL with yellow but once again 2 door car. I say paint it like gunmetal, or something pearl. Like black pearl or fire peper red with pearl. I think it would look nice but i dunno bout yellow.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
yellow, hmmm, with black and white boxes.... damn

How about this, Ive seen this done plenty of times and the results are amazing, on any car:

1) Paint with the everchanging paint, that changes based on how/where from u look at it

OR

2) Include sparkles to which ever paint you will go for, but that very fine almost invisible sparkle...that will look sick.

I wish i had proper terminology to explain what im talking about, but maybe someone can explain better...sorry.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
yellow, hmmm, with black and white boxes.... damn

How about this, Ive seen this done plenty of times and the results are amazing, on any car:

1) Paint with the everchanging paint, that changes based on how/where from u look at it

OR

2) Include sparkles to which ever paint you will go for, but that very fine almost invisible sparkle...that will look sick.

I wish i had proper terminology to explain what im talking about, but maybe someone can explain better...sorry.
Let me put it in the correct terms.

Paint it with a cameleon color, with some metalic flakes. Or a Cameleon metalic color.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Racer

dont go banannas on the car dude, get a nice blueeee
Old 06-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by bitemeeh
Let me put it in the correct terms.

Paint it with a cameleon color, with some metalic flakes. Or a Cameleon metalic color.

thank you man! exactly what i was trying to say, Im overworked my brain functions afterwork at about 1%, thats enough just to walk straight lol
Old 06-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Instructor

I saw the photo of the yellow tl with the spoiler kit @cur@-tl. thanks for the post. I was thinking more along the lines of this yellow though but that gives me a good idea what it would look like. http://gbanweb.kicks-ass.net/copperm...album=25&pos=0
Old 06-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Drifting

I saw the photo of the yellow tl with the spoiler kit @cur@-tl. thanks for the post. I was thinking more along the lines of this yellow though but that gives me a good idea what it would look like. http://gbanweb.kicks-ass.net/copperm...album=25&pos=0
You are still under the misconception that what you think about yellow matters. I doens't. What your wife thinks is what's important.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:28 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

try this:

http://gbanweb.kicks-ass.net/copperm...album=27&pos=0
Old 06-10-2005, 08:07 AM
GO TIME

I can't wait to see your car if you end up going through with it.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:40 AM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

the yellow on the tl is just ok to me, but the yellow on the nsx is nice. I think she'd have to see the type of yellow... but like someone said before, she'd be upset with you everytime she looked at the car if she doesn't end up agreeing. If you show her the pictures, and she still says no, then i'd just drop the idea. Good luck and I think the TL would come out looking good.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Quick photochop real quick for ya... darkened up the yellow and dropped her, Doesn't look too bad, but it's not somthin I would do to mine...

Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

i would'nt do it to mine....but thats my cause i cant stand yellow!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

thats ugly. try a copper orange or a metallic blue or some red.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Az User

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,665 Posts
don't do it, that's ugly as hell
Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Or go ahead and do it, then add a little sign on the top and start driving around picking up fares...
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EpiK
Or go ahead and do it, then add a little sign on the top and start driving around picking up fares...
Old 06-10-2005, 04:41 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by EpiK
thats some funny sh!t!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Instructor

that is some funny shit! I have to say that first.

But hen I have to say that to hate yellow on it's own merits is fine.... some people hate blue, or red, or whatever. But to discriiminate against yellow because it could be associated with cabs seems odd to me. I mean seriously.... if I was to attach a giant bug to the top of my car and drive around would you naturally associate me with terminix??? Or a bright sign... would you think i was the pizza dude.

I do feel if more people had yellow cars then you would less associate the color with cabs.

Either way MikePa stated the bare truth of the matter. The wife doesnt want yellow and thus we will be going back with Dark Emerald Pearl, the color it is now.

Thanks to all for the input. A special thanks to soccerman for the work on the photo. I don't know how people can be hatin' it because to me that is a hot looking car. Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:37 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

What about Sundance Gold Pearl from the '01 CL-S that never made it to '02 or '03 because it never sold? I always really liked that color on the CL, and it's really rare. If I were to paint a TL over, I'd go with either ABP or that.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:47 PM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with others that don't like the yellow on the TL. I think if it looked half good Acura would've done it from the factory, ie; Integra Type-R & NSX. IMHO NBP is the best colour for the car , but to each his own.
Peace, Jeff
Old 06-14-2005, 05:48 AM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

Thanks to all for the input. A special thanks to soccerman for the work on the photo. I don't know how people can be hatin' it because to me that is a hot looking car. Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.
Yeah, that's about the color yellow that i like on the TL. good photo work

Quick Reply: Wife says "NO WAY" but what do youguys think