Wide Circle vs. Steering Response

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wide Circle vs. Steering Response

I know most of you guys are probably out at the Victoria's Secret stores buying your women some lingerie, but I was wondering if the wide turning circle of our cars also means that they have relatively slow steering or if they're separate issues? I have a feeling that a car can have a wide circle but also have fairly responsive steering, what does everyone else think?

By the way, experience tells me that the lingerie you like is not the lingerie she likes..................Good luck with that one...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Racer

Only way to get me to go to Victoria secret is if they selling the women in the lingerie lolzx.

Just broke up with g/f a month ago, something about me not making enough time for her ..... duh, i need to get an edumacation and need money to pay for expenses hah

Sorry for going off topic Dug-mac, couldn't resist
Old 12-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Racer

Don't worry about it bro. Sounds like it's good that you're done with that little Trick. That whole time thing sounds more like manipulation to me than anything else - trust me, if you did everything the way she wanted she would break up with you eventually because you weren't "interesting enough". You're better off alone...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
They are not mutually exclusive or inclusive.

It comes down to steering ratios (between the turn of the steering wheel and the actual turning of the wheels) and steering range (how wide the steering rack is).

With a wide steering rack, you can turn the wheel further out. But at the same time, the steering ratio can be set to slow or quick.

Here's a picture of a rack and pinion steering system, which our cars have.

Using that picture, you can lengthen the area on the rack where the teeth are, thus allowing more travel from lock to lock. And by manipulating the ratio between the rack and the pinion, you can change it to quick or slow steering response.

Hope that helped.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Racer

Thanks, Pure. That was a lucid description/diagram... But it leads to the next question: If this is all it takes, why wouldn't Acura lengthen the rack to overcome this "problem". I mean, it puzzles me why manufacturers just don't go the extra step to make a good product better?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

rub issues? weight transfer? if u open it up more, gotta make the rest of the stabib. stronger no?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by dug-mac
Thanks, Pure. That was a lucid description/diagram... But it leads to the next question: If this is all it takes, why wouldn't Acura lengthen the rack to overcome this "problem". I mean, it puzzles me why manufacturers just don't go the extra step to make a good product better?
Well, when you are trying to decide the range of motion of the steering system, there are multiple factors to consider.

One of them is clearance in the suspension area. The wider the wheel, the more likely it will come in contact with suspension parts as they turn from side to side. This is also why the Premium model has a tighter turning radius than the Type-S, because Acura shortened the range of motion due to the wider Type-S wheels.

As the pinion turns, the rack moves from side to side. Therefore a longer rack also means more clearance issues where it is located.

Also, the more you can turn the wheel, the more complicated the drivetrain design becomes. When you turn the wheels, the CVs are turned at an angle from the transmission to the hub, and greater the degree of turn, the more prone to damages they become. This means using stronger parts which, of course, means higher cost. And using stronger axles/CVs means strengthening the transmission side to handle it, too, and well... we all know Acura isn't too good when it comes to designing transmissions
Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Racer

Thanks again, Pure. You're description is a stark reminder of why I take my car to the dealership to have any work done. I couldn't have come up with that response in a month of Sundays......Ah, the power of the internet.....

PS If in doubt choose the flannel pajamas...
Old 12-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Thanks again, Pure. You're description is a stark reminder of why I take my car to the dealership to have any work done. I couldn't have come up with that response in a month of Sundays......Ah, the power of the internet.....

PS If in doubt choose the flannel pajamas...
Well, there's no shame in that.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and that's what this place is for.

If you want a REAL stark reminder, then talk to people like fsttyms1 and NSXNXT. Their knowledge in cars will make just about any of us here feel like a little kid, especially when it comes to TLs. These guys do transmission work, custom fabrication and some crazy stuff in their own garages.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Rob pretty much summed it up . There are a few other factors like wheel base, where the rack is located/mounted.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Racer

This has been a pretty good thread - we've managed to talk about racks and lingerie and still keep it somewhat automotive...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:26 AM
akaYUNG LEE but im Chico

I know most of you guys are probably out at the Victoria's Secret stores buying your women some lingerie, but I was wondering if the wide turning circle of our cars also means that they have relatively slow steering or if they're separate issues? I have a feeling that a car can have a wide circle but also have fairly responsive steering, what does everyone else think?

By the way, experience tells me that the lingerie you like is not the lingerie she likes..................Good luck with that one...
I went to victoria's secret but got kicked out for molesting the manequin with my finger.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Racer

The knowledge of some of you, especially Pure and fsttyms1, just amazing

Update............ guess you can't buy a victoria secret model without a trust fund. Well i didn't find any model but found the manniquin strangely enticing lolzx.....

again sorry Dug- mac......... it all that sleep depravation oh and pass one final so was out getting
Old 12-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Type-T
I went to victoria's secret but got kicked out for molesting the manequin with my finger.
thank goodness, i'm thought i was the only one
Old 12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by Type-T

That's a bit crass guys Lets keep it to cars!