Why are you guys scared of your car?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why are you guys scared of your car?!?!

Ok im not trying to start somthing here, but i want to get this off my chest. All day long all i hear is how people are scared of their trannies going out. Which is understandable, but dont let that keep you away from having fun in your car. I dont baby my car, i redline it any safe chance i get. I have 13k miles so far, no problems with the tranny. Ok i know you will say, "well when it happens to you then you will know how it feels" Well the truth is, if it goes out then it goes out. Nothing i can do, and it wont be coming out of my pocket. Only thing i expect is being treated well at my dealership. Which i know i will be treat great since i been going there for 6 years.

So why stress yourself? The TLS is one hott car, get it in and DRIVE. Dont get scared that you will mess it up thats what warrenty is for. I understand that its a +30k car, but $hit happens. I go to many forums, and many cars have great deal of problems. Hell even edmunds.com test drove a ferrari and had electrial problems. THEY JUST DONT MAKE CARS LIKE THEY USED TO. No matter what brand it is, no matter where its made. Sad fact is that most cars now dont hold up well as a old skool legend.

Also I want to add this, I was talking to the person who installs my mods, and I was talking about our trannies. He used to work for acura, he says that most of the people with tranny problems were people who didnt drive their car hard. And the people who dont have problems are the ones who drive hard on their cars. His theory is that when you redline the car, pushes all the oil through so nothing can i get clogged. Basicly it cleans it better. Im not mechnic so if someone can elbrate on this then it would be great. He said it in term that i dont remember exactly what was said.

Ok im done, thank you acura-tl.com for being my diary.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Pro

I actually think cars are becoming more reliable. Much more so than 20 years ago.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:17 PM
Banned

I think a lot of it has to do with how long some of us plan to keep the car. Those that are on leases or trade cars in less than every five years shouldn't worry about a thing. Drive it any old way you want because it will be someone else's headache someday and it won't cost you a dime in repairs if stuff breaks during the warranty period.

Now myself (and others on this forum) plan to keep the car a lot longer than that. I hope to keep this car for 10 years (or about 200,000 miles). That means I want to drive a fun, reliable car. I chose a Honda (Acura) product because of their reputation as being rock solid and reliable. Sure, I don't really care if the tranny breaks in the next three years or so because the warranty will cover it. What *will* upset me is if I drive it "normally" for seven years and then due to some design flaw the tranny craps out at 120,000 miles. An auto tranny designed in the year 2000 should certainly be able to last 200,000 miles under normal wear and tear, seeing as how my '75 Plymouth Fury with a three-speed auto on the column lasted for the 160,000 miles that car was driven (and was still working flawlessly when the engine finally seized).

Anyhow, my point being I *need* this car to last me a while. I drive my car fast, but not hard. I don't drag it or power brake it on launch or anything else. Why? Because I'm buying it and it's mine and I wouldn't treat it like that and then expect it to last for the 10 years I need it to.

Remember, the TL is marketed (and designed) as an "entry-level luxury" car. The marketing demographic is young white-collar types with new families that need 4-door transportation but don't want to succumb to the drivel that only a minivan can provide. Classy and reliable first, sporty second. The car was not engineered with the idea that people would be taking the car to the drap strip and launching the car repeatedly from a dead stop. Just because the car *can* do it (and do it well ) doesn't mean it was designed for it. That's like me saying I use my microwave as a jackstand for my car while changing my oil. Sure it can be used that way, but it's not what it was designed for and when it starts crapping out, I can't go blaming the microwave manufacturer that they didn't build a strong enough product.

So if you lease or plan on dumping it, treat it like the pig that it is. Otherwise, understand that for some of us, this is our main transportation and will be for the foreseeable future and we have to drive it accordingly.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:37 PM
Banned

cars in the past were very simple in design.. cars now have soo much technolgy thats its hard for these companies NOT to have problems.IMO

Also many of these companies are very money hungry and tries to cut cost any way they can. So that doesnt help us too much either. Then again it does bring a car like a TLS under 40k.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Ex TL-S owner

I agree with you! All of us spent good money on a car and we shouldn't have to worry about pushing it. I'm definitely enjoying my car and trying not to worry about little rattles or my tranny dying out on me. I know lots of people that baby their engines way too much and then their's go. So all I can say is......ENJOY YOUR CAR!
Old 03-03-2002, 09:33 PM
Racer

Thumbs up Re: Why are you guys scared of your car?!?!

Originally posted by Crzy Acura
Ok im not trying to start somthing here, but i want to get this off my chest. All day long all i hear is how people are scared of their trannies going out. Which is understandable, but dont let that keep you away from having fun in your car. I dont baby my car, i redline it any safe chance i get. I have 13k miles so far, no problems with the tranny. Ok i know you will say, "well when it happens to you then you will know how it feels" Well the truth is, if it goes out then it goes out. Nothing i can do, and it wont be coming out of my pocket. Only thing i expect is being treated well at my dealership. Which i know i will be treat great since i been going there for 6 years.

So why stress yourself? The TLS is one hott car, get it in and DRIVE. Dont get scared that you will mess it up thats what warrenty is for. I understand that its a +30k car, but $hit happens. I go to many forums, and many cars have great deal of problems. Hell even edmunds.com test drove a ferrari and had electrial problems. THEY JUST DONT MAKE CARS LIKE THEY USED TO. No matter what brand it is, no matter where its made. Sad fact is that most cars now dont hold up well as a old skool legend.

Also I want to add this, I was talking to the person who installs my mods, and I was talking about our trannies. He used to work for acura, he says that most of the people with tranny problems were people who didnt drive their car hard. And the people who dont have problems are the ones who drive hard on their cars. His theory is that when you redline the car, pushes all the oil through so nothing can i get clogged. Basicly it cleans it better. Im not mechnic so if someone can elbrate on this then it would be great. He said it in term that i dont remember exactly what was said.

Very well said! Gonna go drive the hell outta mine right now! Didn't come to Rome to live like a Monk eh?
Old 03-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Racer

Re: Why are you guys scared of your car?!?!

THEY JUST DONT MAKE CARS LIKE THEY USED TO.
Thank God for that. Every few years the technology in cars increases at an astronomical rate. With new technology comes a few bugs, but I am more than happy to deal with a random problem here or there to get a car with the latest and greatest of everything.

If you look at what we get in our $30,000 TL-S and compare it to cars of years ago and adjust for inflation, once agin you see that Acura produces some bargain priced cars.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you have a bad tranny to begin with, won't it crap out on you even if you don't drive it hard?
Old 03-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Why are you guys scared of your car?!?!

He used to work for acura, he says that most of the people with tranny problems were people who didnt drive their car hard. And the people who dont have problems are the ones who drive hard on their cars. His theory is that when you redline the car, pushes all the oil through so nothing can i get clogged. Basicly it cleans it better. Im not mechnic so if someone can elbrate on this then it would be great. He said it in term that i dont remember exactly what was said.

LoLz! I think all Acura mechanics say this... My best friend is a Certified NSX tech and he says the same $hit... Now that I think about it, I drove my Type R hard and haven't had problems with it, but with my 323ci I drove slow cause I paid so much for it and the thing had every electrical problem there was. But it also was a first year vehicle.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:54 AM
Banned

Crzy Acura:
"Also I want to add this, I was talking to the person who installs my mods, and I was talking about our trannies. "

Ha ha ha you don't even install your own mods!!! Ya big baby

Austin519
Old 03-04-2002, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Look.

You can get an extended warranty for 7 years for about $1000.

That should put any uncertainty to rest.

Even with the extra $1000 the TLS still kicks the butt of every other car in it's price range.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:20 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree

I Agree that we should enjoy the TLS. Despite everything I read on here about the tranny issue, the rattles and people trading in their TLs for something else I went out and treated myself to a 2003 ABP TLS! I plan to break her in gently and then enjoy the car to its fullest! I will be smoking and getting smoked throughout the spring, summer and fall (safely of course). Seriously I do plan on enjoying the car and for a long time!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Austin519
Crzy Acura:
"Also I want to add this, I was talking to the person who installs my mods, and I was talking about our trannies. "

Ha ha ha you don't even install your own mods!!! Ya big baby

Austin519
He he he, leave him alone. @ times I'm a wallet tuner...... like the headers I'm ordering, I do not plan to do that on my own....
Old 03-04-2002, 10:23 AM
Banned

evolaerok:
Heh heh heh...

Austin519
Old 03-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not get the extended warranty but when your car gets close to the time the warranty will run out someone will offer you an extended warranty. I had this happen when I had my 94 ACCORD. When the warranty period was just about up I got at least 3 offers for an extended warranty. They all came from different places. I think one came from American Honda & others from other places.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Re: I agree

Originally posted by ferizzo
I Agree that we should enjoy the TLS. Despite everything I read on here about the tranny issue, the rattles and people trading in their TLs for something else I went out and treated myself to a 2003 ABP TLS! I plan to break her in gently and then enjoy the car to its fullest! I will be smoking and getting smoked throughout the spring, summer and fall (safely of course). Seriously I do plan on enjoying the car and for a long time!
Ferrizzo,

that's what we all planned on doing. Until you realize the dealership will never fix all rattles in your car, and you're stuck driving it. I just came back from a Lexus ES 300 froum, their biggest problem was how to program the garage door openers.
Once you realize the garage door thingy is not your only problem it is extremely hard to enjoy the car. I went through it all and know how annoying it gets to have 10 rattles and squeaks when you've been babying your car for 6 months.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Banned

Why are you guys scared of your car?!?!
Well 1st of all that car will blow smoke at the tls at the green light.

Oh when i saw the title, I tought that it was another G35 thread.

My mistake
Old 03-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

I agree with crzy Acura. Drive your car like its suppose to be driven, dont worry about it all the time! **** lifes too short to worry about other peoples tranny problems. My TLS has almost 14K miles. Including using S.S and even redlining it, OH NO!! according to some of you guys its gonna blow any minute. How am I gonna get home from work? And yes my car does have a couple of rattles, although the dealer seems to be taking care of those. DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!
Old 03-04-2002, 04:33 PM
Advanced

For 1000?! I just got quoted $1400 for 5 year 100k on my CL-S! From the dealer! Only dealer in my town too that sells Acuras.

Originally posted by hemants
Look.

You can get an extended warranty for 7 years for about $1000.

That should put any uncertainty to rest.

Even with the extra $1000 the TLS still kicks the butt of every other car in it's price range.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:36 PM
Racer

I demanded a 100,000 miles/6 years extend powertrain warranty for FREE as a settlement before going to lemon law....

My demand was granted
Old 03-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Racer

I say buy an extended warranty and bang it till it breaks, if you have a "bad tranny" it will break soon, otherwise you should 10 years out of it without problems.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

And the people who dont have problems are the ones who drive hard on their cars. His theory is that when you redline the car, pushes all the oil through so nothing can i get clogged. Basicly it cleans it better.
That's a nice theory, but it's bull****.
There's a difference between use and abuse, and redlining your engine every chance you get is abuse. Sure, the car may run well for a while, but over the long haul, the car is going to wear more quickly than one that lived gently.
I drive most of my cars pretty easily. I have a '95 Accord EX (VTEC, 5-speed) that has 110,000 miles, has led a normal life, and still has the original clutch AND brake pads. I've spent exactly $0 on any corrective maintenance.
I also have an old Z28 that sees occasional drag strip use, and some "spirited" street driving. I broke a high-dollar, high RPM valve spring at just 28,000 miles, even though I never ran the engine beyond redline (although it has seen many trips to redline.) The oil shows a lot more wear particles than either of the other two cars, also.

So, if you enjoy driving your car hard, then that's fine. But, don't kid yourself into thinking it will last longer.

Todd
Old 03-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Banned

T Ho

Did you just compare a chevy z28 to a honda accord when it comes to maintance??? :wow:
Im not saying to drive the car hard everyday, im just saying once and awhile let it redline so the juices can flow....
Old 03-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Did you just compare a chevy z28 to a honda accord when it comes to maintance???
My point is that, down the road, hard driving will lead to hard repairs, and the warranty will be gone. I don't look at it as abuse of the car- more like abuse of my wallet.
Say what you want about the Chevy- I can guarantee that the TL-S wouldn't stand up to 250+ full throttle, clutch side-stepping, slick running passes at the strip (low 13s, 105+mph). The bottom end of the engine is 100% stock, as is the rear axle, and 22 years old (I've owned the car for 11 years). I've added about 180hp (stock pathetic 190hp to current 370hp) via top end (cylinder head, cam, etc.) mods. I couldn't go much further, due to the need for low end torque for 6th gear (I added the T56 manual about 7 years ago), and towing Sea Doos.
And, can you believe, the fvcking valve spring broke while I was idling at a stoplight!

You're right, though- once in a while won't hurt anything signficantly. Why get the VTEC and 260hp if you're not going to use it now and again?
If once-in-a-while is 5x/day, well, then you may have a problem.

Todd
Old 03-05-2002, 05:28 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Hey, as a dead tranny person, I say "Drive Like You Want". Don't be afraid. It will happen if you baby it OR drive hard. If it is meant to happen, it will.

I will admit that once I got the replacement, I tended to go easy on it. But now that it's broken in, when I have to accellerate, I hammer it!!!

I bought it to drive, damn it.

However, there is one thing you can do to absolutely guarantee that you will NEVER HAVE A TRANNY GO BAD!!
>>> Buy the car, and dont drive it!!

Get out there and DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!

:-jon
Old 03-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

Speedy3.2cl-s

You should not pay $1400 for extended warranty. Negotiate. Bob Howard in OKC offered 7yr/100k for $1025. The plan was Motorists Assistance Plan - 800-527-1984.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Racer

Talking pushing it

i push my baby hard whenever i see a bimmer :thefinger
anyway....no problems with my tranny
Old 03-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Racer

Atta boy Avirex34, hit it hard and don't look back!