Why you all picked TL over CL-S ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 01:56 PM

Post Why you all picked TL over CL-S ????

I wanted to gather some thoughts from you all on WHY you chose to purchase your TL over a CL-S when the price difference between the 2 aren't more than a few thousasnd more..
Any feedback/insight would help in my decision of choosing which car to get.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2000, 02:02 PM
Rx Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have had 2 four door cars befre and I wanted a 2 door car that was a pocket rocket. I picked the CL-s cause it wa a ****in dart and it destroys bmw's. Thats my reason and its a beautiful car.
I love the TL too, but I love my car more

------------------
silver CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, sun visor, and eurolights fog lights, and bel 950 radar detector
Old 11-17-2000, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I already have a 2-door, wanted the 4-door for ease for passengers. And got walk-out for $29,400 with mudguards and mats. I wish it had the fuel economy of my Accord, but I got it for the automatic for traffic. I drive the Accord nites and weekends, and the TL for sitting in daily work traffic to and fro.

And it's a purely gorgeous car.

------------------
Had 1989 Black CRX Si (Cracker)
Have 1998 Black Currant Accord EX4 Coupe (Watson)
Have 2000 Laguna/Fern TL (Sherlock)
Old 11-17-2000, 02:03 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cuz in my opinion a TL is better looking than CL, and it's got 4 doors which means my passengers can easily get in/out of the car. Powerwise i can spend that 2 grand and mod it up.. But now TL-S is coming out (according to Snook's friend) I might very well consider trading it in or get TL-S parts on my TL.

------------------

Comptech springs in 2 weeks

Future mods? maybe...
Old 11-17-2000, 02:08 PM
Pro

I bought my car in 99. No cl-s back then.
Old 11-17-2000, 02:09 PM
Racer

Wanted 4 doors. Had a coupe before the TL and hated not having the extra space....

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 11-17-2000, 02:14 PM
Pro

Originally posted by MToker:
Wanted 4 doors. Had a coupe before the TL and hated not having the extra space....

1. Exterior is better (IMHO)
2. CL-S only accomodates 4 people at max
3. it's easier for friends to get inside with 4 door.
4. Not much mods for CL-S yet !
5. I'm more comfort oriented , sport interior is just so uncomfortable for me..

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
Factory Kit coming up
Old 11-17-2000, 02:15 PM
Pro

roomy, insurance and baby.

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit...
Quiets ride
Old 11-17-2000, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Same here, I needed a 4 door sedan.

Also, the CL-s the dealer had in the lot came in sh*t color... and testdriving it was the last thing I had in my mind. It was ugly!!

------------------
Y2K silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler, 38% window tint
Old 11-17-2000, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL-S has a fugly rear end unfortunately.

Otherwise it gives most bang for buck in its class. Actually, just the extra HP, gauges, and memory seats..etc are worth it.

But I just wanted a sedan!
Old 11-17-2000, 02:19 PM
Racer

Ya the only color my dealer had was that nasty gold (no offense to anyone) and it didn't look like much....

+ There was a wait on a CL-S with navi....

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 11-17-2000, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by 850EX:
CL-S has a fugly rear end unfortunately.

I agree. Ok, I've always been an ASS-man!

------------------
2001 Laguna Navi
OEM Spoiler
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 11-17-2000, 04:18 PM
Acuras Only in

The older version of CL's butt not worth mentioning & the new CL somwhow reminds me of the old Camry coupe ... just my $.02
Old 11-17-2000, 04:30 PM

Wink

IMHO the CL looks like the Accord V6 coupe, no offence

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 11-17-2000, 04:32 PM

Why I choose the TL over the CL;
1.)CL has a bad looking rear end where as the TL has a great looking end.
2.)Anyone find the CL too bubbly looking? The TL has less of that and more sharp corners in it body style = more aggressive looking.
3.)Didn't like CL mags, TL mags are the best looking I've seen, too bad it's a 16" only
4.)TL is cheaper, it was a lot cheaper than the CL when I went to buy it, about 35k's cdn for the TL.
5.)4 door is more practical, to carry my babes in the back! j/k!
Old 11-17-2000, 04:42 PM
Pro

First of all the CL-S wasn't available when I bought my TL. However, I think I would still have gone for the TL since I really prefer the look of a sedan over a coupe. I do have people in the back seats on a regular basis so the rear seat room was an issue too, as was access to the rear. I do like the look of both cars and would have preferred the memory seats and 6 CD changer of the CL.

------------------
Stock Naples Gold 2000 TL
Old 11-17-2000, 04:47 PM
Rx Master

Smile

come on man, these are all valid points on why u would pick the tl over the cl, but I just want to say that the ass on the new cl-s is soooooo much better than the old style, and if it had stayed like that with the new model, i would have snatched up that gorgous white tl with the navi and aerokit, but i love the new cl-s so much more.

------------------
silver CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, sun visor, and eurolights fog lights, and bel 950 radar detector
Old 11-17-2000, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Wink

One word.....Kids

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. Soon to have 17" wheels. Lowered 1.5" & Comptech Axle back Exhaust.
Old 11-17-2000, 05:38 PM
Instructor

cuz the CL-S was not available when i bought my car in 1999. but that CL is ugly though. personally, i think the accord coupe looks better.
Old 11-17-2000, 05:54 PM

I prefer 4 doors even though I dont drive people very often. I also do not like the CL styling. I do agree though that the back is a definite improvement from the previous generation.
Old 11-17-2000, 05:56 PM
Racer

If memory serves, the TL has more doors than the CL-S. I can't remember how many more doors it has, but I think it was a LOT!

I like my cars with as many doors as possible. So does my kid.

I told the dealer "gimme a car with a lotta power and a lotta doors."

------------------

2000 Navi TL White Diamond Pearl
(they're magically delicious)
Old 11-17-2000, 08:14 PM

Talking

Easy now guys. My CL-S is very sensitive about her butt. IMHO the rounded tail lights in combination with the rear spoiler look rather nice on the CL. That said I have to admit I am also fond of the rear on the TL because it reminds me of the Legend. I also wish the mags for the TL were available in 17" or 18" because I would put them on my CL-S. The CL-S works for me because I like coupes and because 99% of the time it's me or me and one passenger.
Old 11-17-2000, 08:23 PM
Racer

i wanted a four door... my 94 accord was 2 door so...i got sick of lifting my seats when friends ride in the back...

------------------
Bad ass TL...but...
Cant afford Mods.....
Old 11-17-2000, 09:23 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, they hadn't come out with the Cl & Cl-s
when I decided on the TL. All there was were some poor pics I saw here & there. I didn't want 2 wait on a car I knew little of, & the TL was sooo great. I like the CL-s, it's a great looking car in it's own wright, albeit the REAREND! j/k!
Old 11-18-2000, 04:20 PM
AC
Drifting

When I bought the TL, last year some time, the CL wasn't even in the picture. Plus, I like the TL styling better, no offense CL boys!

------------------
2000 TL non NAVI
Factory body kit
Factory spoiler
Burlwood knob
35% mirror tint
Inspire Steering Wheel
Gutter Grille
AEM CAI
Tenzo 700X fog lights.
Custom Mesh Bumper
Comptech Headers, Sways, Springs and Inspire Tails on the way - Thank You Mr. Snook!!!!
CLK55 AMG Next Baby!
Old 11-19-2000, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Good thing this is in the TL forum, first of all the CL and the CL-S is UGLY!!!! Yeah I said it UGLY!!!! Now What?

If I wanted a two door car, I would buy a used NSX. You can get a good one for the price that you paid for your CL-S. With the NSX, I would whoop all your CL-S butts in a race. HAHA

I bought the TL because it was pratical and a great value for the car, I wanted something that could replace my Legend. I think the TL is worthy.

Don't Bash me CL guys....

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob and more to come!
Old 11-19-2000, 10:19 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bdimc2001:
Good thing this is in the TL forum, first of all the CL and the CL-S is UGLY!!!! Yeah I said it UGLY!!!! Now What?

If I wanted a two door car, I would buy a used NSX. You can get a good one for the price that you paid for your CL-S. With the NSX, I would whoop all your CL-S butts in a race. HAHA

I bought the TL because it was pratical and a great value for the car, I wanted something that could replace my Legend. I think the TL is worthy.

Don't Bash me CL guys....

Bash you? hmm... your in Jersey... pretty close by... maybe I'll just come down there and beat your f***ing ass! hehehe j/k

to each his own. I could go on and on about what is ugly in the TL... but I wont... cuz Id be stupid cuz I owned a TL also.

I think they both look great... all I know is that my CLS gets GREAT comments from everyone even people that hated my TL.

Looks are subjective... most CL owners dont like the looks of the TL... and most TL owners dont like the looks of the CL... then theres the few that are indifferent...

if your making a buying decision... dont consider what WE say about looks... go to the dealer and look at it yourself...

Most of the people bashing the looks of the CL never even saw one in person... they go by the shitty pictures.

So make your own decision in looks...

What it really comes down to after that is the "feel" of the car... so test drive both... you will notice a difference that isnt achieveable by standard mods like springs/headers etc.

but whatever your decision... you will end up PIMPing an Acura... both of which look sweet... so either way YOU WIN.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit

Retired: 2000 Acura 3.2 TL
Old 11-19-2000, 03:13 PM
AC
Drifting

Thumbs up

Originally posted by soopa:
Bash you? hmm... your in Jersey... pretty close by... maybe I'll just come down there and beat your f***ing ass! hehehe j/k

to each his own. I could go on and on about what is ugly in the TL... but I wont... cuz Id be stupid cuz I owned a TL also.

I think they both look great... all I know is that my CLS gets GREAT comments from everyone even people that hated my TL.

Looks are subjective... most CL owners dont like the looks of the TL... and most TL owners dont like the looks of the CL... then theres the few that are indifferent...

if your making a buying decision... dont consider what WE say about looks... go to the dealer and look at it yourself...

Most of the people bashing the looks of the CL never even saw one in person... they go by the shitty pictures.

So make your own decision in looks...

What it really comes down to after that is the "feel" of the car... so test drive both... you will notice a difference that isnt achieveable by standard mods like springs/headers etc.

but whatever your decision... you will end up PIMPing an Acura... both of which look sweet... so either way YOU WIN.

I agree with Soopa. Although I use to hate the CL-S (mainly cuz it was faster than my TL...the truth hurts sometimes). You got to admit, it's a pretty bad ass car. I still prefer the styling of my TL over the CL and once I got inside the TypeS and drove it I was very impressed.

You have to consider that the TL was probably tageted for thos 35+ year old people that wanted something conservetive and change the way people thought about the Lexus ES300. The CL-S in my opinion handles superbly, and the power is WOW! Need I say more.

All said and done, I agree with Soopa, to each his own yet I still love my TL! You have to see one for yourself and test drive both cars...keep in mine this board is saying that the TL-S is coming next summer.

------------------
2000 TL non NAVI
Factory body kit
Factory spoiler
Burlwood knob
35% mirror tint
Inspire Steering Wheel
Gutter Grille
AEM CAI
Tenzo 700X fog lights
Custom Mesh Bumper
Inspire Tail Lights
Comptech Headers, Sways, Springs and 18' DAZZ MATIZ on the way - Thank You Mr. Snook!!!!
CLK55 AMG Next Baby!
Old 11-19-2000, 03:17 PM
GO YANKEES!!!!!

CL-S was not avalble when i bought my TL

------------------
99 TL,SATIN SILVER EXT.,EBONY INT.,UNDERBODY KIT, HEADLIGHT FINISHERS, INSPIRE TAILS, PIAA 1700X FOGS,17IN BBS RK, GUTTER GUARD GRILL, HEADLIGHTS CLEARED,COMPTECH EXHAUST, AND SPRINGS READY TO BE INSTALLED, AUDIO SOON TO COME
Old 11-19-2000, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Ditto for me tooo... wasn't around yet..
Ed

------------------
'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 11-20-2000, 03:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 4 year old girl. I need the extra doors.
Old 11-20-2000, 04:15 PM
Acuras Only in

CL-S wasn't available when I got my TL. Also my wife wanted a four door & she didn't the old CL's butt that much. I did see a silver CL-s at one of my firend's Berkely apartment this past weekend & it looked good. She had to drag me away 'cuz I might have the impulse to trade in my TL for one bad ass CL-S ..
Old 11-20-2000, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

The CL-S was not even in the market when I got my TL last year.I have had a 4DR car for the last 10yrs & would not go back to a 2DR car.
Old 11-20-2000, 06:58 PM

Cool

It would be interesting to known the ages and marital status of the folks replying, since this page started out as quasi-scientific study! In any event I am 48 and I'm married with two teenage daughters. I decided that I wanted a car that I was proud of and one that was a blast to drive but consideration had to be given my family so I opted for the TL. I don't regret a thing. Now, maybe if I was single or there was just the wife and myself the CL would be more appealing (especially the extra 35 hp)but for my present circumstances my black 2000 TL is perfect Greg
Old 11-20-2000, 07:12 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am 23 and single and I chose TL.

Originally posted by Greg:
It would be interesting to known the ages and marital status of the folks replying, since this page started out as quasi-scientific study! In any event I am 48 and I'm married with two teenage daughters. I decided that I wanted a car that I was proud of and one that was a blast to drive but consideration had to be given my family so I opted for the TL. I don't regret a thing. Now, maybe if I was single or there was just the wife and myself the CL would be more appealing (especially the extra 35 hp)but for my present circumstances my black 2000 TL is perfect Greg

------------------

Comptech springs
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Pikkachu on the back window
Old 11-20-2000, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
NOT EVEN UGLY!!!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...050&p=33629336

Originally posted by SLVR TL:
Same here, I needed a 4 door sedan.

Also, the CL-s the dealer had in the lot came in sh*t color... and testdriving it was the last thing I had in my mind. It was ugly!!

Old 11-20-2000, 10:20 PM

I bought a CL-s in the "sh*t color", i'm assuming you mean sundance gold. I'm 47 with two teenagers. The one doesn't worry about riding in the back of a two door because he's always busting on me to let him drive it. My younger daughter thinks I'm going to sell it to her when she starts driving in about 16 months. BTW I've got nothing but raves about the color of this car and hopefully when the TL-s comes out they won't have this color available. I love being not only the only CL-s around but the only gold around for any make/model.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:23 PM
Race Director

I first wanted to buy a TL, though when the CL came out, i changed my mind.

THIS IS WHY I CHOSE A CL-S OVER A TL:

-SPEEED!!!,
-REAL LEATHER, not 50% vinyl like on the TL
- 6 disc IN DASH,
-Perforated Seats
-LOVE the 17" Rims, gonna love them more after getting them chrome dipped.
-My PHAT tires!!
-Black Marble like wood trim, very original, and i have gotten MILLIONS of compliments on the black wood (i purchased http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000970.html this wood kit today)
- White Gauges
- And the look is more futuristic than the TL
- HANDLING
-Memory Seats, (one for chill driving/and one rush performance driving)
-FWD How many people can drive their sports cars in the winter like i can?
-Even the side mirror that automatically goes down so i can see the curb in reverse made the CL so much cooler,
-The electronic moving seats!! to let people in the back..makes me and others go crazy
The price tag being more than the TL is well worth the money, ..

A lot of people are not gonna agree with me, but its my car, so i get it how i like.

I dont buy my cars for other people, (just cause i have friends, wont mean i am gonna buy a 4 door, familiy is different, but friends, never) I am not a Bittch to buy a car to suit my friends comfort in the back.

If the CL did not exist, i would definetly be driving a phat TL.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by amirsafdari on 11-21-2000 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by amirsafdari on 11-21-2000 @ ]</font>

Old 11-20-2000, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

mine is a '99. probably would have been a tough choice if the cl was out.
Old 11-21-2000, 12:13 AM
Drifting

don't like the standard wheels on the normal CL, and only had maximum of $30,000 even $1,000 more is too much.

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
I DONT'T HAVE A LIFE

Quick Reply: Why you all picked TL over CL-S ????