WHY turn acura into honda inspire

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHY turn acura into honda inspire

we bought a acura.. people complain about it when they say acura is just a honda... now after all of this. WHY TURN UR CAR into a cheaper HONDA!!!!!!!!!!!

WHYY
Old 04-25-2002, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'm going to pretty much copy and paste my reply from the original conversion thread since this one is basically the same as a question asked in there.....

He's doing a JDM conversion. In Japan, there are no Acura's, only Honda's.

The problem is that Americans are so image conscious that Honda needed to create a luxury line to sell their high-end Honda's from Japan. So when someone does a JDM conversion, everyone jumps on them for cheapening the car, when that's not really the case.... since it really IS a Honda underneath. Now, the CL would be a different story since that's a US/Canada only model, so putting Honda emblems on that is just rice.....
Old 04-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Banned

oh i get it, and thanks. anyway if i do that, my neighbors will rip at me and say crap cuz they got benzes and porches and they think they are the **** and my car is a honda..lol
Old 04-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dude, our cars may be labelled "Acura" to satisfy the American penchant for that oh so Narcisstic status symbol, but to me an Acura is a Honda as Lexus is a Toyota etc.

This is the only country(ies)....(Canada too) that labels these cars as an Acura.

Honda is cheap you say, sh1t I guess the Honda NSX is cheap too huh? In Asia, Australia and Europe etc (basically the whole world), the NSX is a Honda.

Bottom line to me at least, the parent company is the maker. I don't ask myself if Acura is better made then a Honda or a Lexus is better made then a Toyota. It's what it is! A more expensive model by that particular manufacturer.

If you don't understand why people modify their "Acura" as a JDM Honda Inspire......then don't do it. It's not your cup of tea I guess, but let the others mod their cars as they like. Don't go asking why why why like your mad about it.

It's no big deal Nick.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:28 PM

I just think that if you want a Honda go buy an Honda.

No sense paying 30k for an acura then spend another 2k to make it into a Honda, when you can go ahead and buy a Honda for 20k without the trouble of modding it.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Nick79
oh i get it, and thanks. anyway if i do that, my neighbors will rip at me and say crap cuz they got benzes and porches and they think they are the **** and my car is a honda..lol
I got a 'porch' too! hehe

I don't understand the 'conversion' thing either...
Old 04-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally posted by juniorbean
I'm going to pretty much copy and paste my reply from the original conversion thread since this one is basically the same as a question asked in there.....

He's doing a JDM conversion. In Japan, there are no Acura's, only Honda's.

The problem is that Americans are so image conscious that Honda needed to create a luxury line to sell their high-end Honda's from Japan. So when someone does a JDM conversion, everyone jumps on them for cheapening the car, when that's not really the case.... since it really IS a Honda underneath. Now, the CL would be a different story since that's a US/Canada only model, so putting Honda emblems on that is just rice.....
Even our glasses printed "Honda". :p
Old 04-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Drifting

I hear where you're coming from.

I like the Inspire word because it has more character than 3.2TLS but I wouldn't replace my A with an H.

It's personal preference though.

To me it's like taking the four rings off of my Audi and replacing them with VW, why would I do that?
Old 04-25-2002, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Some mods are made not to enhance performance or appearance or 'status', but simply to make the vehicle unique. I have yet to see any car with 'inspire' badging.... Pretty unique...
Old 04-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Racer

Why??? This is why...

You want to know why??? Check out my pics and you'll know why..

http://www.inspires.ca/images
Old 04-25-2002, 04:37 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by TUFF GONG
I don't ask myself if Acura is better made then a Honda or a Lexus is better made then a Toyota. It's what it is! A more expensive model by that particular manufacturer.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:51 PM

Because some people ain't caught up with the names of the freaking car shallow boy.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Banned

So why do people in japan want to make their car into a TL? same reason why we want to make out TL into a Inspire. Its cuz its somthing different that what is on the road. IMO
Old 04-25-2002, 08:39 PM
No, you are a dork.

Re: Why??? This is why...

Originally posted by InspireS
You want to know why??? Check out my pics and you'll know why..

http://www.inspires.ca/images
Checked them out and still dont get it...
Old 04-25-2002, 09:17 PM

Re: Re: Why??? This is why...

Originally posted by daryl.com

Checked them out and still dont get it...
Also looked at the pic and still don't know why you would spend money to downgrade your car.

In america brand recognition means alot. People pay extra money for a luxury car ie infiniti, acura and lexus.

Why would you pay for the luxury name and then pay more money to take that luxury name away. Seems like a lose lose situation.

If you really want a honda, I have a 96 honda accord EX for sale (Bonuse: It already has Honda emblems installed.)
Old 04-26-2002, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

Some people don't want to be joe and jane. There are multiple ways of doing it (some tasty, some not). I've seen one at car wash with JDM conversion and nice mufflers (must be comptech), nice 18 or 19" chrome wheel. With the inspire emblem. People had hard time figuring out what it was but loved it nonethless.
Happened to be talking with 2nd Gen Rx-7 owner waiting for my car to come out. He mentioned it was gorgeous, I thought it was really tasty myself.
It really is personal statement as far as I can see.
(I for one think some of those CAI are cheesy due to excessive noise they make...and some mufflers... but I bet lot of you who doesn't like JDM conversion probably doesn't mind those...)
Old 04-26-2002, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
originality...when theres 10 tls on ur block... u wanna be diff...and i may be changing it to inspire once i get some money too cuz thess WAYYY too many in my city..
Old 04-26-2002, 02:47 AM
Pro

I was going to convert my Acura TL into a Honda Inspire...but at the moment i need more $$$, spent all the money on the car. I agree with "juniorbean" about "Americans are so image conscious " and i think most of you would agree (or know it but won't admit it).

America is the only country with luxury division of cars. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan only made Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti to sell cars to Americans...it's a marketing strategy to sell more cars. And this strategy works....it gives the sense to the buyer "My car is better than your"...but is it?

Ever sit in a Honda Accord V6...i have, it looks almost IDENTICAL to our TL's...execpt for the $6,000 price difference.. You might say well, we have 60 hp more than them. Well, why don't you buy a Accord and save the extra $6,000 for a supercharger and other performance parts. With $6,000, i'm pretty sure you'll get more than 60HP.

This marketing strategy is being used everywhere. You probably own a computer...that's how you can read this....look at your computer....what brand is it? Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM??? Or is it a Generic, custom built? Is having a brand name any better than having a generic brand, does it run any slower? They both use alomst the same parts, Intel, AMD....etc...but you probably save $$$ on the generic one. Been in the mall lately....viisted Old Navy, Gap, or Banana Republic...Alomst same fabric, style, color, execpt for the MAJOR price difference. I can get 3 T-shirt from Old Navy for the same price for 2 at Gap, and 1 at Banana Republic.

What is the Definition of "Conversion?" To change something into another thing, correct. When you convert 1 American Dollar into Japanese YEN, you get $1 worth of yen. It's the same thing...there is no net loss when you convert.

Acurapimp, said "why you would spend money to downgrade your car?" What is downgrading? When your car is converted to an Inspire...is it worth less now? So you are telling me that if i had a Honda Accord V6 and replaced all the "H" with "A" and "Honda" with "Acura" i would be upgrading my car!?!?!? Some reason i don't think that would work.

"In america brand recognition means alot" does it? Who does it mean a lot to? Me? You? The guy that's driving next to you? The dealer? The buyer? Part of the extra $7,000 that you pay for is for you to have "A" on your car instead of "H" Is it worth it paying the extra $$$ to have "A" on your car?

"Why would you pay for the luxury name and then pay more money to take that luxury name away?" Why would you pay extra for the "luxury name" in the first place? If there were two nearly identical cars one with letter "B" on it and the other with the letter "Z" and the "Z" cost $500 more...I would buy the "B", why would you want to buy the "Z" for? because the letter "Z" is the last letter in the alphabet and therefore somehow it's better? I paid $500 so i'm better than you? I''m richer? ....Ohhh...the letter "A" is the first letter in the alphbet and "H" is somewhere in the middle?

People have money to spend on rims, tires, bars, springs, spoiler, bodykit, speakers, decks, lights..so what's the problem with spending it on emblems? Some people are into performance, some into audio, well, there are some into apperance

Let me tell you why i want to convert mine, it's something different, it's unique, it's originial. all the imprint on your windows says "HONDA" on it, and everything else says "Original Honda Part" on it...no where do i see the word "ACURA". Our TL's my be made in the US, but they are TRULY a japanese car. Although they were made here, we still refer to them as import cars.

My next point is really gonna shock some of you...Anyone ever heard of the Acura EL? Well, the Acura EL is only offered in Canada i believe. The Acura EL is the conversion of the Honda Civic. The honda civic cost from $15,900-$22,400 the Acura EL cost from 21,700- 24,700. When you look at them...they look exactly the same. So acura is more LUXUROUS then HONDA? Let's say i decided to buy the 22,400 HONDA CIVIC over the 21,700 ACURA EL...which one is more LUXUROUS?

Luxury is a relative word. Something has to be compared to something. Acura more luxury than honda? Yes it is, because that is how it's marketed. Lexus more luxury than toyota? Yes it is, that's how it's marketed. You see Toyota and Lexus car line. Camry looks a lot like the ES 300, Corolla looks a lot like the IS 300, Land Cruiser looks a lot like the LX 400. "One man's trash is another man's treasure"....it's all relative.

Does it really matter what your car is named? Why did you buy your car for? I bought mine for looks, price, performance, and safty. These are the factors why i bought my TL, if your someone who bought their car because it has ACURA" emblem on it or because it cost more then i think you should recheck your mental state.

One last question to the people who still don't get it why people would convert: WOULD YOU HAVE BOUGHT YOUR ACURA TL IF IT WAS CALLED A HONDA INSPIRE? IF THE TL WAS HONDA, IT WOULD'NT BE LUXURY ANYMORE?

The bottom line....DO WHAT YOU LIKE!

I don't mean harm to anyone, i'm just expressing my opinion and view....i'm not trying to pick on anyone, if it seems like i am, i apologize.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/newcars/de...vic/index.html

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/acura02el/
Old 04-26-2002, 07:46 AM
Banned

well said....

too bad no1 understands this where i live...
Old 04-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Thumbs up

AcuraTLFan.... I just had to reply and say great post!! I think you pretty much covered every base on that one!!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
[B]
Does it really matter what your car is named?

To your very own point...
Old 04-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Racer

AcuraTLFan,

Awesome post, remember to post pics of your Inspire Conversion when you get it done

InspireS
Old 04-26-2002, 12:03 PM
Pro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by garylee55
[B]
Originally posted by AcuraTLFan

Does it really matter what your car is named?

To your very own point...

Like i said....Inspire conversion is a Cosmetic/Apperance conversion not a naming conversion.