Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Don't like asking for directions.
2. Back up camera
3. Side cameras
4. TV Tuner and DVD
5. Seperates your TL from most others.
6. AC controls are nicer.
7. Mark a point of interest to come back to.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by NighthawkBlack on March 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-19-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tea elle:
In response to your comment about wanting something your old car did not have so that you don't feel like you're still driving your old car, I traded in a 94 Legend Coupe for my '01 TL non-navi and there are enough improvements in the technology, acceleration, handling and ride quality to remind me that I'm not driving the same car I used to.
Go drive the 2001 Accord EX V6 and you will surprised to find that the Accord is every bit as good as your non-navi TL....technogically, acceleration wise, handling wise and ride-quality wise...why then did you go for the similar TL, which costs a lot more to begin with and also does not have things like non-folding rear seats and 6-cd in-dash changer like the 2001 Accord EX V6 ?!!!

Those of you that keep mentioning getting the navi to make your car stand out from all the Camrys and Accords, etc., really have me perplexed. I can't conceive of spending $2,000, on something that goes inside the car, to make my car stand out! I mean, how many people see it?
If somebody is spending 2000 dollars just for the sake of standing out from the Camrys/Accords etc., I would think he/she is making a silly mistake....similarly, spending 5000 dollars more for the TL (non-navi), when the similar Accord EX V6 exists, is also IMHO, a mistake. But I was commenting on someone else who claimed that the "screen is an eye-sore on the dash"...my take was that the screen makes the dash look classier....but if it requires 2K to make the dash classier with no other benefit, that is stupid and crazy...but the utility of the thing on the dash is fantastic and is worth more than 2K, just for the utility...and has a side benefit of making the dash look classier... a slightly different but impactful difference from your interpretation of my statement...

The cost of being envied is pretty high...and the thrill doesn't last very long. If someone drives by you in an SUV and sees your navi system and thinks "cool!"...does that really give you a sense of fulfillment?
If the objective of getting the NAV is to have some SUV guy think "COOL", then I guess I would be sorry for such a fellow.... do you really think the NAV purchasers have spent 2000 dollars of their hard-earned money for some fellow to think "hey, that's cool" ?? Sorry buddy ! I disagree.

Get the NAV if you want to, because it is well worth every penny....I certainly would not want someone to get it for others to think "that's cool", since I have worked hard for my money and so I believe, have everyone else....also, if you are buying the model without the NAV (TL not TL-s), then I would suggest that you save some more money (5000 dollars) and go for the Honda Accord EX V6...you will get it for about 22K dollars.

just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-19-2001, 04:55 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by hunter001:
If the objective of getting the NAV is to have some SUV guy think "COOL", then I guess I would be sorry for such a fellow.... do you really think the NAV purchasers have spent 2000 dollars of their hard-earned money for some fellow to think "hey, that's cool" ?? Sorry buddy ! I disagree.

If you took the time to read all the posts on this topic you would know that people are saying precisely the thing you are disagreeing with. People are getting the navi because they think it looks classy and separates them from all the other cars out there. So, I'm not sure what the heck you're disagreeing with, buddy!

I'm not going to waste my time listing the advantages of the TL over the Accord. I'm pretty sure you know full well what they are and you're just trying stir things up.

You know, it's one thing to have an intelligent debate and it's another to type something just because....whatever. If you've read some of my topics, you know I'm someone who likes to start discussions that elicit responses too.

Don't waste my time with this Accord vs. TL thing...if I use your argument, it would stand to reason that you would spend an extra ten thousand dollars just to get the Navi in your TL-S since you think the Accord and the TL are the same car. Now, that really would make you an idiot.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 07:49 PM
Pro

Don't waste my time with this Accord vs. TL thing...if I use your argument, it would stand to reason that you would spend an extra ten thousand dollars just to get the Navi in your TL-S since you think the Accord and the TL are the same car. Now, that really would make you an idiot.
I know precisely what are the differences between the Honda Accord EX V6 and the non-navigation TL.....an enthusiast like me would gladly pay the extra just for the slightly larger engine and different transmission and HIDs....but still I cannot get away from the un-comfortable feeling that the 2001 Accord EX V6 (mind you not the 2000 EX V6) is very very close to the base TL without the Navigation, especially after having added traction control and added sound proofing in 2001....in fact, it has got a few advantages over the 2001 TL (non-NAV version), in having a 6-disc in-dash cd-changer and a split-folding rear seat for additional cargo versatility....of course, the NAV version takes the TL well and truly beyond the Accord EX V6....since the NAV is a truly luxury feature (I consider it as a safety must-have after having used it extensively), not available even as an option, among any of the pedestrian brands (except the Odyssey) including Toyota, Mazda, Volkswagen, Chevrolet, Pontiac and whatnot...the base TL without the Navigation is a great car however...

In fact, I expected whatever came standard on the 2002 base TL, to come in the 2001 TL....like memory seats, foglights, reverse-tilting mirror, 6-disc in-dash cd changer etc....was disappointed to find that it did not even contain the 6-disc cd-changer while the pedestrian Accord EX V6 came out with it as standard equipment.

You drive a fantastic car....but the Accord EX V6 is also a very good one....especially for 5000 dollars less....and to deny that is being faceticious, to say the least.

just my 2c

------------------
Old 03-19-2001, 11:09 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by doopstr:
I'm getting one because you know every other TL owner on the planet will look inside your ride to see if you got it.
I can understand both sides of the debate. However, can we all agree that the above quote is the stupidest thing written so far? Are people really that shallow and insecure all over the country? I thought it was just here in Los Angeles where image "appears" to be everything?

As a regional sales manager, I wish I had gotten the navi system for visiting new customers. Other than that, I don't think I'd ever EVER need it.

------------------
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 11:23 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ClawingTiger:
Nav. at this point is just for show.

No it is not just for shows. It is useful for everyone. It may not be worth 2000 bucks for everyone. In fact, it may not be worth 2000 bucks at all, but it is a useful tool for everyone.

I shudder to think of all the inept drivers currently on the road driving one-handed with a cell phone (DAMMIT, move into the 21th Century already, and get a HANDS-FREE HEADSET
Studies have shown one hand cell phone users have the same rate of accidents as hands free cell phone users. You are all dangerous drivers.

for 15 bucks!) Imagine the sensory OVERLOAD these poor saps would experience when given an onboard NAV!
You obviously has never used an Acura NAV.
How does the NAV interfere with your driving?

Anyway, get the NAV. if you want to impress nerds/pseudo-techies OR save $2k and get a hand held GPS for 90 bucks.
At least point, I regret relying to this message. You are obviously someone who knows nothing about it and has never used it. And of course, someone who is jealous of people who spend 2000 unnecessary bucks to get the NAV.
Do I think it's worth $2000? No.
Will I get it? Yes.
Why do you get insurance if you don't believe you would ever get into an accident?
Just for that once I'm lost in Harlem, I'd get the NAV even if it's not worth $2000.

It is only just for SHOWS when it serves no purpose.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Aside from the ego boost of having something others don't ...

the built in gyro system on the OEM nav systems are better than many aftermarket and PC based Nav systems - because it can extrapolate your last position even if it does not have line of site with the satelite (which is a requirement for the nav system to work - just like DirectTV).

The Nav system at this point is not seen as a value add at resale - the lease residuals (% wise) are lower on a car with Nav compared to without.

Assuming you have the car for 36 months and the Nav system depreciates $1200 and you use the Nav system twice a week, each use is costing you about $3.85 - which certainly is not cheap. Hence those who are in a line of work where you go to different places a lot or those who like to dine out a lot or even travel out of town by car a lot, your use will go up and make this a worthwhile expenditure.

Having used the Nav in my Odyssey for the last 18 months, I must say that at a $2000 price point, I will probably not get it in a future car. However, my wife loves the system even if she only uses it once a week if at all - she thinks it is worth the money. To me, a good price point for the Nav is $600-800 at which point I will certainly get it.

Old 03-20-2001, 07:07 PM

For anyone that cares. There is NO DEMAND for it in Canada because Canada has not been mapped yet.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Raptor on March 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-20-2001, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
Originally posted by Raptor:
For anyone that cares. There is NO DEMAND for it in Canada. This was confirmed by my dealer that has not sold one single TL car with the NAV. That's not counting the MDX which comes standard with it.
There is no demand because it doesn't work there.
Old 03-20-2001, 07:40 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Lightbulb

The edmunds web site, if you ask for a "True Market Value Appraisal" for a 99TL, adds the following values for the NAV option:

Trade In: $931
Private Party: $990
Dealer Retail: $1,209

Check it out yourself at
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/acu...r32sedan.html?

then select the appraisal.

It would be crazy to believe that it decreased the value of the trade-in!

Old 03-20-2001, 08:50 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

Originally posted by oblio98:
The edmunds web site, if you ask for a "True Market Value Appraisal" for a 99TL, adds the following values for the NAV option:

Trade In: $931
Private Party: $990
Dealer Retail: $1,209

Check it out yourself at
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/acu...r32sedan.html?

then select the appraisal.

It would be crazy to believe that it decreased the value of the trade-in!

Also, the 1999 TL had a slower HD based NAV system with multiple CD discs covering various parts of the US...so when you go outside the area of coverage of a CD, you will have to pull over and put in the next CD before it will be functional.

The 2000 NAV system is a much superior DVD based system, with the single DVD containing more data than all the previous CDs combined. The single DVD covers the entire continental US, with no pulling over to change the CD. Also, the DVD system is faster than the earlier CD based system.

just my 2c

------------------
Old 03-21-2001, 01:15 AM
tea elle

You drive a fantastic car....but the Accord EX V6 is also a very good one....especially for 5000 dollars less....and to deny that is being faceticious, to say the least.

just my 2c

You don't have a friggin' clue what you are talking about! I've driven the new Accord V6 and its NOT EVEN CLOSE to the refinement or performance of the TL. Have you driven the 2001 Accord V6? If so, how the hell can you even compare it to the TL??? Your driving skills, experience with driving different cars, and overall judgement are so far off the mark it's ridiculous.

Get some more experience behind the wheel, and then maybe your opinion of how two cars compare will reflect some true wisdom and insight. I've been driving for over twenty years, and I totally disagree with you. You are, quite simply, wrong.

I see your "two cents", and raise you ten more.

------------------
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-21-2001, 01:44 AM
Racer

Most of the people with Navi will grow to like it.
Most of the who don't will not likely know what is the real advantage of it.
People who have the money and don't want that feature probably won't even read this thread.
People who want it and can't have might whine about it.
Well, again there are just people like me who just like to talk about it.
55 replies so far. Nice trigger.
Didn't bother to read it all, read just 2 and this is what I think: .

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by kuan48 on March 21, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-21-2001, 09:23 AM
Pro

Personally, I'm still undecided about the nav. Maybe b/c I'm a bit cheap. Like someone above said, for $500 - $800 I'd definetely get it, but $2K is a big chunk of change from my hard earned money. Think of the mods you could do with 2K.
Unless you travel a lot or get lost alot I can't justify 2K for it. With free internet maps, paper maps, calling ahead for directions, cell phones, lap tops in the car, you can certainly get by without one, but for me it ultimately comes down to the 2K.

As for the Accord, it may have many of the same features, but is incomparable as a luxury car. The Accord is a SUPER car, and when my mom was shopping for a car years ago I practically made her buy the Accord. She never regretted it. But the TL is in another league, it is not a cookie-cutter family sedan, it is a luxury sedan with the looks, feel and features of a luxury car. If you drive one after the other you can see that they DO NOT compare. I may be cheap, but I know the TL is worth 6K more thean the Accord.

------------------
- Nick, still shopping for an 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 03-21-2001, 09:33 AM
Pro

I agree re the price issue. The reason why I didn't mind paying for navi is that with the clearance sales going on now, I picked up my '01 w/navi for less than what I had anticipated paying for a '00 w/out navi way back when I first came close to buying a TL. However, if I was approaching the outer boundaries of my budget with a TL-S at MSRP, even knowing what I know now about navi, I doubt I would pay the extra $2000 for it. Put another way, if I had an extra $2000 to spend off of a base TL for either the S package or navi, I would jump at the S.

p.s. Is this thread ever going to die?
Old 03-21-2001, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
Originally posted by SC TL:
p.s. Is this thread ever going to die?
No

Old 03-21-2001, 01:39 PM

Talking

all I can say is, "GET THE NAV" it's worth every penny.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by paden:
all I can say is, "GET THE NAV" it's worth every penny.
Tell me again why I should want such a thing...........(just kidding!)

Old 03-21-2001, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Red face

I have a 99 TL w/nav. It's hard disk based system only. No CD. If you go out of the eastern states where I live, you need to go into an Acura dealer and reload other region to your HD for some cost. When you come back you have to reload back. I don't plan on driving across the US so that's not a problem for me. The DVD unit (my friend has a 2001 CL Type S w/nav) is definitely faster but it might be due to the faster CPU, otherwise HD technology should be faster than DVD drive. DVD is much easier for the dealer to replace and is user self servicable.

I use it to find shortcuts and occasional unknown places. 2000+ DVD version has more features! I'd definitely get another nav for TL Type S 2003 or 2004. I don't know how it compares to Lexus' but certainly above BMW's and Audi's. It'd be more attractive at $1,500. I think Lexus/BMW requires you to order a ~$4,000 package for including nav.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:20 AM

HEY, Lets not bash the shallow, materialistic ones here.

Without their insecurities, we'd take out a large portion of our market.

Realistically, it's that segment of the market that helps drives up demand afterall!

You think Acura didn't factor "COOL" into the equation? Get real. They want it to look cool. They want the whole car to look cool(although sometimes I wonder about that!)

Hey, differences are what makes this little marble turn.

So, for those of us that want the NAVI simply because it's a functional tool to help us out in a jam, we can rest assured that someone out there wants it just cause it looks "COOL" and is willing to pay that much more for it.
Thanks guys...
Old 03-22-2001, 08:11 PM

For those of you that subscribe to business week - March 19, 2001 Technology and You see article entitled "It's getting cheaper to find your way".
http://www.travroute.com/news/reviews/businessweek.html

With a Pocket CoPilot or Geode software package and a hand held, you'll never ask for driving directions again for a quarter of the price of a $2K NAV.
http://www.travroute.com

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Raptor on March 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-22-2001, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Cassiopeia color is $400 after rebate plus $100 for 64meg memory card, + $299 for GPS package. That's $800 already. I guess you can reuse the pocket PC for personal PIM and you need to take it out because you don't want to leave it out for thieves to break in your car to take it!

Screen is smaller.
Clumsier to switch modes if there is anything to switch.
Does it do night back light?
Does it talk or do you have to stare at the small screen more often?
Does it calculate time to arrival?
Clutter the dash.
What happens when you do drive cross state? Bigger memory cards?
TL's nav doesn't have this problem - it even works under Holland Tunnel.

"When the GPS unit is first initialized it can take several minutes for the receiver to locate the satellites in orbit. Be sure that the GPS receiver has an unobstructed view of the sky. Trees, buildings, and other obstacles are capable of blocking the satellite signals."

I have to see it in action to tell you how it actually compares with TL's nav. I might consider it only for cars that don't have nav or sucky nav like on S4/BMW that you have to pay $4k option to get nav.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Actually it only lists E-125 for $540 right now. I can not find E-105 or E-115 price. So that's $940 total, about half the price of Acura's nav. You get all US without loading regions.

OK it has sound. How long does the battery last when the vol. all the way up and backlight lid?

Pocket CoPilot provides voice prompts each time you come up on your next turn. In order to hear these prompts you need to be sure the volume on you Pocket PC is turned all the way up. On the Pocket PC in the Start menu go to Settings, and click on Sounds & Reminders. Under System volume move the slide bar all the way to the right.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Firebird_EOU on March 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-23-2001, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

PS BMW navi is only a $2k option.

Plus it comes with a 7" screen. My 530i will be delivered to me tomorrow. 12 hours to go.

------------------
2000-Laguna Gree TL
2001-Solar Yellow IS300
2001-Titanium Silver 530i
Old 03-23-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro

Every time this "navi..yes or no" topic comes up I am amused by all the rationale for getting it.

But those of you who want to watch DVD movies on your navi in your cars need to GET A F***ING HOBBY.

The navi system is an amazing feature that makes certain moments in life so much easier than ever before. I travel around a lot in my car calling on customers and the navi is a great business tool. But if you need help finding an ATM, gas station, or sushi bar...you're an idiot. If you use your navi to tell you how many miles left to go on your drive to Best Buy...I'm sorry, that I don't understand.

You're the one that I don't understand. If you don't like the navi so shut up! Why try to convince other people to dislike it ?

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
My Dillema : Mugen springs VS Comptech Springs with Koni Shocks ..what shud i pick ?
Old 03-23-2001, 02:15 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Firebird_EOU:
Actually it only lists E-125 for $540 right now. I can not find E-105 or E-115 price. So that's $940 total, about half the price of Acura's nav. You get all US without loading regions.

OK it has sound. How long does the battery last when the vol. all the way up and backlight lid?

Pocket CoPilot provides voice prompts each time you come up on your next turn. In order to hear these prompts you need to be sure the volume on you Pocket PC is turned all the way up. On the Pocket PC in the Start menu go to Settings, and click on Sounds & Reminders. Under System volume move the slide bar all the way to the right.

Does it work in an Underground parking lot ? Or when tall buildings/clumps of trees/mountains block the view to the sky ?

I have used cheaper portable systems in the past and have never been impressed by them.....

In systems like the Acura Navi, the volume of the audio system/radio dims when the NAVI voice comes on....

------------------
Old 03-23-2001, 07:59 PM
Instructor

"PS BMW navi is only a $2k option."

Actually Carsdirect has it for $1530 on 330i and $1690 on 530. Now it allows me to select the nav. without other options. Before it requires me to buy premium package.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Lightbulb

I am one of the proponents for banning the use of cell-phones due to the tremendous potential for causing an accident, when one is on the cell-phone. If I have a need to make a call on the cell-phone, I either pull off the road or have my wife attend the call (if she is in the car). Otherwise, the phone is generally switched off when inside the car.

However, I disagree with respect to the Navigation system.... when the system is guiding you, I rarely have to look at it and I am happy to say that there is no distraction whatsoever. My friend who sat with me in the car (who was initially critical of such systems due to their "supposed" distraction) was amazed at the total lack of any distraction whatsoever. However, the hand-held system (90 bucks ??) that you spoke about, has the potential to be a disaster and an accident waiting to happen (just the type which can be a distraction). Also, in case of an accident, there is a flying missile (hand held nav) also to contend with.

Do not compare low-end POS like the 90 bucks hand-hend NAVs with high-end Navigation systems like the Acura Navigation.

just my 2c

The recommendation of getting a "POS" hand- held GPS was meant for "sarcasm". If morons on the road can't get a simple headset or voice activation for their cell phones, what chance in hell do they have with a small hand-held LCD GPS display while driving?

My point is that NAV may be a helpful tool for attentive drivers but may prove deadly for inept, careless drivers.

Old 03-23-2001, 11:18 PM
Racer

does it even work in canda?
Old 03-24-2001, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Excerpt from: http://carpoint.msn.com/advice/defau..._4019112_6.asp

Perhaps the greatest success in selling nav systems is at Acura, where in the 1999 model year the company couldn't keep up with demand.

Spokesperson Jay Joseph noted a $2,000 nav system was the only option on the TL, which had a starting price of just over $28,400.

“Sales are absolutely going through the roof,” Joseph said, adding nav systems were being installed on 25 percent of the TLs and could be on more if the company hadn't had a problem with a supplier of a component for the system.

“We believe demand could exceed 40 percent on the TL,” he said.

He attributed it, in part, to a TL ad early in the model year that showed how a wedding couple used a nav system to get through the major moments in their life. The ad “didn't focus on the system but showed how the car performed,” Joseph said. “We think it raised awareness quite a bit.” But, he noted, some of the sales may stem from the fact that “as technology advances, people become aware of how easy it is to use” a system like this. And, with more Americans using computers daily, they are more eager to embrace technology.

Last, but certainly not least, the TL is targeted at a younger, more technology-comfortable crowd with a median age between 35 and 45 years of age.

Old 03-27-2001, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I have the Navi in my MDX and am picking up a TL-S with Navi next week. It's more useful than you think. In NJ there are tons of little towns with funky street numbering. The Navi is great when you're trying to find a place in a town you don't know. It's also great for finding out of the way ATM's and gas stations. Even if you know where you are, there's a "detour" feature to find alternate routes around traffic or accidents. You can enter the phone number of what you're looking for and it automatically pulls it up out of the DVD database. You can enter multiple stops using the "today's destinations" feature and the system calculates the best route and order to save time and gas. You can store 100 addresses and phone numbers using the "personal destinations" feature. I too thought the Navi was a cool toy at first but I wouldn't own a car without it now.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:48 PM
Racer

The NAV makes sense if you do a lot of your driving in unfamiliar places. I just got back from a 3,400 mile vacation trip, and the NAV would have come in very handy as we approached various destinations, and would have been fun to refer to as we spent hours on the road in unfamiliar states. (On the other hand, we didn't get lost a single time. AAA maps worked fine...)

But most of my driving is around town, and to places I've been dozens of times before.

Given that the NAV is a 'nice-to-have', but far from essential tool, I don't regret saving $2,000 and going without.

But I bet my next car will have it!

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 03-28-2001, 11:28 PM
Racer

Talking

Just bought an MDX with Nav last week. Originally we decided on the Nav because we preferred the look of the Nav screen then the Base screen (in the MDX there is a screen for both w/ or w/o Nav). Liked the Nav screen so much better in fact that considered the Nav a toy worth the money regardless of Nav functionality. However now that we have it I am extremely pleased with the Nav system. It is the best on the market.

Now that our Expedition is for sale we are looking at the TL-S and will most definitely get it w/ Nav.