Why spend $2K for a navigation system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 06:48 PM

Post Why spend $2K for a navigation system?

What purpose does the navigation provide for you?

Is it just one of those new techno rage "car toy" items you gotta have?

Do you travel in unfamiliar territory a lot?

Is it a necessity because of your occupation? If so what?

Or you simply can't tell NSEW or simply hate to read maps?

I just thought I would ask why some of you would be spending another $2 grand more for this feature.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Raptor on March 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-17-2001, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove one today. I can tell you that after driving it, I'm not getting the NAV.
Aesthetically, it's a mistake. They should copy the Infinity and tuck it away.
Old 03-17-2001, 08:20 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 489 Likes on 228 Posts
Cool

I got one in my 99TL mostly because it was "cool", but I grew to use it ALOT! It's so nice to have a map right there when you need it. I have found "shortcuts" in areas I thought I knew well. Have you ever "wondered" where that road you pass every day goes. Just move the joystick! When I am in unfamiliar territory, the map is great for "on the fly" detours. It's also nice to zoom out and see how far you have left to go to your destination. Another thing I have done is to use it with my cellular phone to give directions to my crew who may be looking for a destination. I can scroll the map to where they are and guide them in!

The first year I had it, I never used the "directions" mode, but once I got used to it, I used it more. Not really for the directions, but for the "countdowns", as in how many miles to go, and how much time until arrival.

Sometimes, the thing picks the most ridiculus route, at which point it is amusing to "go your own way" and hear it say "Make a U-Turn if possible"!

Is it worth 2K? I would say YES, especially when you consider that it will make the resale value of the car at least $1K more than a non-navi. You can always find someone who wants the Hi-Tech stuff, and will lust for that feature.

My TL-S, arriving this week, will have it as well!

Good Luck with your car....

Old 03-17-2001, 08:31 PM

Thumbs up

I've read somewhere on the 'Net that there's a mod allowing you to watch DVD movies on Nav screen. After all it's just a DVD-ROM drive connected to an LCD. I don't have any more details, though.

2002 FirePepper Red TL
Old 03-17-2001, 08:42 PM

The navigation is a must ! Also, you should know that once you get an Acura without navigation, adding nav later on is not an option.

Anyway, it's the best 2K you will spend on a car, plus Acura nav system is the best in the industry. I have been using it a lot and it works.
Old 03-17-2001, 08:54 PM
Advanced

You can get a nice laptop for 2,000 with navigation and much much more!@
Old 03-17-2001, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well alot of people on the TL forum that did not get it say they wish they had. I got it because I plan to do alot of traveling before I get my next car. This was an option that I wanted. I also wanted it to be factory & not aftermarket.I have not had the chance to do much traveling since I got the car last winter. I do plan to take trips to California & Floridia. I don't plan on flying on a plane so I will be driving.The Nav can find some ways to your destination & get you around traffic jams.It acts as a trip computer that gives you time to arrival &miles to go. I do wish it had miles to empty & gas mileage on it. Nav Systems are comming on more cars now. It was only on the RL & TL now its on CL CL-S TL-S & MDX.
The Nav has helped me fine many locations faster.I think the next updated DVD in the fall will be better.I also think the placement of the Nav Screen in the TL is good. Some other car makers have them to low.
The hide away screen on others will obstruct your view. I would not buy a car that did not have it.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-17-2001, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

"Why nav"? Why not?
Old 03-17-2001, 11:04 PM
Racer

chicks dig it....
Old 03-18-2001, 05:53 AM
Burning Brakes

ur just sore cuz u don't have one...

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Laguna METALLIC, Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 03-18-2001, 06:21 AM

Why, you say?

Uhmmmm......how about because you can, or because you want it, or because you think you want it, or because you can afford it...

And then maybe some practical reasons too...

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Raptor:
Can you try to be more specific or is that the best you can do?
If you're going to keep the car for a long time, I think it's worth it. Over the years so many times I wish my cars have a Nav so that I don't have to keep checking the map while I was driving. Also features such as ATM/restaurants look-ups are great.
Old 03-18-2001, 09:44 AM
Instructor

I think it actually makes the dash look cleaner. Interior looks ugly without it IMHO. Of course, $2000 is a lot, you could just buy a nice laptop with that much and get a navigation system for the laptop...

The tweak, I've seen, in the audio/video forum here requires you to purchase a separate DVD player.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:00 AM
Instructor

It separates my car from all others except those that offer the Nav. It is the major reason I purchased the TL. In 10 years when I sell I think it will add a lot to the value. The same as my old 1991 Legend LS-it had dual air bags before anyone else and this helped me sell the car for a good price.
Old 03-18-2001, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Not that I'm a Dot.Com millionaire, but $2K for the Navi is not that much of an investment, when you consider its' return. Additionally, when spread over the terms of a loan or lease, it's a very affordable option. How many times have we all gotten lost, had to consult a map, or stop at your friendly gas station or 7-11 to ask for directions. The Navi offers some much than just driving directions. If you think $2K is a lot for the Navi, try pricing it with other vehicle manufacturers (Lexus, BMW, Audi, Infiniti) and you will be in shock! This is a "no-brainer." Get the Navi or you will regret it every day you are driving your TL-S.
Old 03-18-2001, 01:47 PM
tea elle

Every time this "navi..yes or no" topic comes up I am amused by all the rationale for getting it.

But those of you who want to watch DVD movies on your navi in your cars need to GET A F***ING HOBBY.

The navi system is an amazing feature that makes certain moments in life so much easier than ever before. I travel around a lot in my car calling on customers and the navi is a great business tool. But if you need help finding an ATM, gas station, or sushi bar...you're an idiot. If you use your navi to tell you how many miles left to go on your drive to Best Buy...I'm sorry, that I don't understand.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-18-2001, 02:22 PM
what?

yeah, I'm not getting the navi. it's a cool toy, but the $2k would buy a lot of maps

if i had a job like sales where i was driving to a lot of unknown places or typically drove to my vacation destinations...it would be a no-brainer

to tell the truth, the time that i would want it the most is driving around boston... a nightmare under the best of circumstances ... and with the big dig, there's no way that the disk would be accurate all the time ....

plus i'm not too sure i'll be driving my new car into boston any time soon...i'll probably take my old car LOL!
Old 03-18-2001, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,188 Posts
I'm getting one because you know every other TL owner on the planet will look inside your ride to see if you got it.
Old 03-18-2001, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by AnthonyG:
This is a "no-brainer." Get the Navi or you will regret it every day you are driving your TL-S.
This is not necessarily true. If you live in a medium to small city and don't travel very often I don't think it's worth the $2000. On the other hand, if you travel to unfamiliar places regularly and live in a larger city then I might consider it.

Old 03-18-2001, 03:40 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Louisiana:
You can get a nice laptop for 2,000 with navigation and much much more!@
Been there, done that..... Before I bought my TL, I had a Nav system loaded up on my laptop (Rand McNally), with my wife guiding from the passenger seat....I can never go back to those days...

Every time the laptop loaded system comes across a thick clump of trees or tall buildings, the NAV freezes up.....basically, what you would expect a low-end system to do.

I drove around in a Hertz rental car with the Hertz "Never-lost" navigation system about a year back (before I got the Acura)...talk of a POS...no way can such NAV systems be considered on the same planet as the Acura system...you get what you pay for.

The Acura system is oblivious to thick trees, forests, buildings and what not...it works even in an underground parking lot ...

A few months back, we made an extended trip to Rockford/Chicago, IL, from New Jersey via Ohio.... The Acura system guided us like a guardian angel throughout the journey. Never missed a turn, never had to ask for directions....basically, 99% of the route was un-familiar...but did not have any problems whatsoever. It guided us in thick fog, pitch darkness or whatever through un-familiar areas...hell the countdown of 1000ft...800ft...600ft...400ft...200ft...100ft etc, before your turn approaches (in thick and impenetrable fog) is just amazing...no way could I miss my turn...hell I would have missed such turns even if it were in my neighborhood, if it were not for the NAV.

I would suggest to the fellows wanting to purchase the car without the Navigation system, to save some more money and go for the Accord EX V6...it has got 70% of everything the TL has, and additionally has got a split-folding rear seat.... the Accord also has a little more interior space... very few cars being sold in the US have the Navigation even as an option and in my view, we were lucky to get this car with this factory option...even the Acura's competitor, the Lexus ES300, does not have the NAV system even as an option even though other more expensive Lexus models have this wonderful option...and the Acura NAV is a DVD based one, with coverage of the entire continental US on a single DVD disk.....incidentally, Navigation systems on BMW cars and Audi cars are worthless...not worth the money...

As for myself, after having used this feature extensively, I will not make any future car purchase, which does not have a NAV feature.... also, once you make the purchase, you will not be able to go back in time, and retrofit it, since the TL comes in 2 distinct models - one with the NAV and one without (even though Acura literature depicts the NAV system as an "option"). The dash design in both vehicle types are totally different.... read through the main TL forum and find the list of people moaning about desperately wanting to have the NAV system after having bought one without it (for the sake of saving the couple of grands on a 30K automobile)...

Buy the Navigation system for what it is....I would never buy the NAV for increasing the car's resale or anything like that... I would buy it, since that is the best feature of this near-luxury car...

Hope this helps..

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on March 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-18-2001, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Nav. at this point is just for show.

I shudder to think of all the inept drivers currently on the road driving one-handed with a cell phone (DAMMIT, move into the 21th Century already, and get a HANDS-FREE HEADSET for 15 bucks!) Imagine the sensory OVERLOAD these poor saps would experience when given an onboard NAV!

Anyway, get the NAV. if you want to impress nerds/pseudo-techies OR save $2k and get a hand held GPS for 90 bucks.
Old 03-18-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by ClawingTiger:
Nav. at this point is just for show.

I shudder to think of all the inept drivers currently on the road driving one-handed with a cell phone (DAMMIT, move into the 21th Century already, and get a HANDS-FREE HEADSET for 15 bucks!) Imagine the sensory OVERLOAD these poor saps would experience when given an onboard NAV!

Anyway, get the NAV. if you want to impress nerds/pseudo-techies OR save $2k and get a hand held GPS for 90 bucks.
I am one of the proponents for banning the use of cell-phones due to the tremendous potential for causing an accident, when one is on the cell-phone. If I have a need to make a call on the cell-phone, I either pull off the road or have my wife attend the call (if she is in the car). Otherwise, the phone is generally switched off when inside the car.

However, I disagree with respect to the Navigation system.... when the system is guiding you, I rarely have to look at it and I am happy to say that there is no distraction whatsoever. My friend who sat with me in the car (who was initially critical of such systems due to their "supposed" distraction) was amazed at the total lack of any distraction whatsoever. However, the hand-held system (90 bucks ??) that you spoke about, has the potential to be a disaster and an accident waiting to happen (just the type which can be a distraction). Also, in case of an accident, there is a flying missile (hand held nav) also to contend with.

Do not compare low-end POS like the 90 bucks hand-hend NAVs with high-end Navigation systems like the Acura Navigation.

just my 2c

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on March 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-18-2001, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Navi was one of the main reason that I bought the TL.

Driving in bay area is not an easy task. One wrong turn and chances are you would be stuck in traffic.

Moreover, it's so easy to use. I have used Lexus, Hertz, and Acura systems. Acura's system is one of the easiest. About 3 months ago i was on my way across 92 (san Mateo bridge)only to realize that I have no cash. Navi helped out by giving me direction to closest ATM.

The $2k is not much considering that the car itself is over $30k.

regards
Old 03-18-2001, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by oblio98:
Is it worth 2K? I would say YES, especially when you consider that it will make the resale value of the car at least $1K more than a non-navi. You can always find someone who wants the Hi-Tech stuff, and will lust for that feature.
I was just checking Edmund's used car site as to the value of the Nav system on used 2000 and 1999 TL's (the most recent used models for which they had values). For Private Party sale value, they said the Nav was worth $1215 on a 2000, and $990 on a 1999. For those with either a 1999 or 2000 TL, how much was Nav as an option back then? Just curious as to resale value. I like the option, but I'm not sure if I should invest the extra $2K. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2001, 10:56 PM

The Acura Navi is a useful system. I have used it and OnStar and the only advantage to the Onstar system is that you don't have to stop to program. Otherwise, the Acura system is far superior.
As for it being worth the $2K, that's a lot more value than $1K+ for leather seats or a sunroof that people always get these days.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro

Because it is a lot safer having that chick tell you where to turn than having to look at a Thomas guide every 15 seconds while driving in So Cal traffic driving to unfamiliar addresses. You might think a Thomas guide is cheaper now, but if you ever get into an accident because you were looking at a map, or because you missed a turn or an offramp, then you will know the value of the Navi!
Old 03-19-2001, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by glax:
The Acura Navi is a useful system. I have used it and OnStar and the only advantage to the Onstar system is that you don't have to stop to program. Otherwise, the Acura system is far superior.
As for it being worth the $2K, that's a lot more value than $1K+ for leather seats or a sunroof that people always get these days.

All I can say is that my wife wanted me to get the Nav system, but when we asked about it to the sales manager, he said "It's a really nice system and works well, but after the first several months, you'll quit using it. It's a toy." I'm not in sales, and I will use the car to tool around town, not explore others, so I think the Nav system is worth the coin only for people who will truley use it. PLus, the screen is a bit of an eye-sore on the dash.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Dark Emerald Pearl
Old 03-19-2001, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by AnthonyG:
This is a "no-brainer." Get the Navi or you will regret it every day you are driving your TL-S.
The car I have now doesn't have navi and I don't regret it.
Does the TL-S somehow have a some sort of mysterious knack for getting people lost in which case NOT having the NAVI would indeed be Regretable?
Old 03-19-2001, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at this way. The people who have the nav system are the ones telling you to get it, and the people without one are the ones telling you to forget it. Why is that? Because they have never used it! Rest assure, once you use it, you will always want one, they are that good.

Of course, I have it, and I love it.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:20 AM
Pro

It also depends upon what city you live in. Someone once posted a list of all of the cities that are on the DVD. Not all cities in the US are covered. The greater LA/OC/SD/Inland empire area of So Cal is covered, so it is great for me. However, Bakersfield is not (Navi will still guide you to a major street, but not to specific addresses). If you live in the sticks, and don't get out very often, then it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:13 PM
tea elle

------------------
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,188 Posts
Originally posted by tea elle:
I can understand both sides of the debate. However, can we all agree that the above quote is the stupidest thing written so far? Are people really that shallow and insecure all over the country? I thought it was just here in Los Angeles where image "appears" to be everything?
Come on, you know when you see a TL in the parking lot you sneak over to take a peak. Then you get pissed when you see it.

Old 03-19-2001, 12:15 PM
tea elle

------------------
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 12:23 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by doopstr:
Come on, you know when you see a TL in the parking lot you sneak over to take a peak. Then you get pissed when you see it.

Doopster...you're projecting your envious ways on others. I honestly do not get pissed if someone else has a nav system.

------------------
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 12:38 PM
Instructor

According to my salesperson, only about 20% of TL/CL/RL buyers want the Nav system. When I spend over 30k for a new car, I want something my old car did not have otherwise I would think I am still driving my old car. I think it is cool and even though I do not NEED it, I do WANT it.
Old 03-19-2001, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by jhalderman:
According to my salesperson, only about 20% of TL/CL/RL buyers want the Nav system. When I spend over 30k for a new car, I want something my old car did not have otherwise I would think I am still driving my old car. I think it is cool and even though I do not NEED it, I do WANT it.

If the 20% figure you quoted is correct, then this "minority" is a very vocal group on this forum. Obviously the discussion to date has been weighted towards the 20% and not the 80%. Just an observation.
Old 03-19-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by robman:

All I can say is that my wife wanted me to get the Nav system, but when we asked about it to the sales manager, he said "It's a really nice system and works well, but after the first several months, you'll quit using it. It's a toy." I'm not in sales, and I will use the car to tool around town, not explore others, so I think the Nav system is worth the coin only for people who will truley use it. PLus, the screen is a bit of an eye-sore on the dash.
I don't think the sales manager of a dealership is a source with your welfare in mind....he probably figured that if an additional 2000 dollars came into the picture, he may not have had a sale...so drew you away from the Navigation system. Or he probably had a few more non-nav models to sell off and contoured his sales-pitch accordingly, by drawing you away from the Nav model....

As far as using it for a few months, I have been using this system for almost 1 year...and it has just got better....in my appreciation of it.

Also, IMHO, the NAV on the dash is classy, as opposed to systems where the NAV hides itself away and pops up from the dash when needed....it also distinguishes you from the slew of Toyota Camrys, Honda Accords, Pontiacs etc. that are a dime a dozen....

Just my 2c

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on March 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-19-2001, 03:25 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by jhalderman:
If you get it because you want it, great. Thats one of the best things about having money, the ability to get what you want In response to your comment about wanting something your old car did not have so that you don't feel like you're still driving your old car, I traded in a 94 Legend Coupe for my '01 TL non-navi and there are enough improvements in the technology, acceleration, handling and ride quality to remind me that I'm not driving the same car I used to.

Guys, humor me for a moment and think about this:

Those of you that keep mentioning getting the navi to make your car stand out from all the Camrys and Accords, etc., really have me perplexed. I can't conceive of spending $2,000, on something that goes inside the car, to make my car stand out! I mean, how many people see it?

One purpose of these forums is to discuss our differing views, right? Well, those of you who spend money on things in life that will make other people notice you, or envy you, may be chasing something that you cannot catch. The cost of being envied is pretty high...and the thrill doesn't last very long. If someone drives by you in an SUV and sees your navi system and thinks "cool!"...does that really give you a sense of fulfillment? That guy in the SUV has already forgotten about you by the time he drives through the next intersection...and it wasn't you he was thinking about in the first place. IT WAS YOUR CAR HE NOTICED, NOT YOU!

I live around a very affluent area in Beverly Hills. There is a car wash not far from me where people pay a monthly fee for unlimited hand washes. You should see this place! It is such an L.A. experience. What's most interesting is not the sheer vanity the compels people to wash their cars every day during their lunch hour...no, the most fascinating part is when I see someone get into a very fancy car and just before they get in they will often look around to see how many people have noticed them. It saddens me because it demonstrates how empty some people still feel, even when they have adorned themselves with the most beautiful car they could find (usually BMW, Porsch, Mercedes and Ferrari in Beverly Hills).

There is something called "psychic hunger" that exists within all of us. Even the wealthiest lawyer or studio exec. in L.A. is still hungering for something he cannot buy with money. You cannot satisfy psychic hunger with the envy of others.

------------------
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 03:34 PM

simply hate to read maps, and mapquset print outs. btw, i heard the law makers are thinking about prohibiting reading (map or newspaper) in the car, just like using cell phones.

------------------
Former 98 Prelude
Totalled 00 WDP Navi
Selling 01 Yellow S2000
Old 03-19-2001, 03:47 PM

There is a street called "Psychic Hunger" somewhere on this continent and that NAVI will FIND IT!

Quick Reply: Why spend $2K for a navigation system?