Why so many unnecessary vulgar responses on this site?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why so many unnecessary vulgar responses on this site?

I think Snook has gone to a lot of trouble to create a really fine site. I also think that the participants enjoy sharing information and honest experiences with each other in a positive constructive way. I realize that it's fun to pimp the board from time to time, but for the most part it's a stright forward forum.

Since joining we've learned a lot and tried to contribute a little for the benefit of others.

But I must say the the cursing and vulgar references to sex in cars is unwarranted and certainly unprofessional and discourteous. I only hope the moderators will stiffen up on this behavior.

------------------
01 WDP,f.bra, PIAA Crys. 1400's, burl trim & shifter, Injen short ram., 25%tint.
Old 04-19-2001, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by wayneandjudy:
I think Snook has gone to a lot of trouble to create a really fine site. I also think that the participants enjoy sharing information and honest experiences with each other in a positive constructive way. I realize that it's fun to pimp the board from time to time, but for the most part it's a stright forward forum.

Since joining we've learned a lot and tried to contribute a little for the benefit of others.

But I must say the the cursing and vulgar references to sex in cars is unwarranted and certainly unprofessional and discourteous. I only hope the moderators will stiffen up on this behavior.

I agree! Too many people are talking too much unnecessary stuff on this site.

Old 05-08-2001, 02:13 AM
Racer

i hope the moderators will try to keep this site professional. they should apply zero tolerance for unprofessional conduct.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:24 AM
Instructor

You're right that Tim has built a wonderful site and it should be professional. I agree that it sometimes has too many stupid and dumb post but we can also have fun!! Although ofensive to some, you don't have to read all posts, and plus it's a form of freedom of speech according to our oh-so- famous Constitution. Come'on let's have fun, not rat on members, and just let mild vulgarity go. No need to stress about these things and life will be a lot easier. I might be a little biased with my view as a teenager, but I really think what I said was true and that you can control what you want to take in or what you don't want. People nowadays are more immune than the "older generations" so many of us really don't take any of this in offese at all. Our generation has really changed since previous ones, and I really think it is not a big deal. Many people will have something to say against this, but it is my opinion. Anyways, just get on with business and everything will be alright!

------------------
*2000 Acura 3.2 TL
*Nighthawk Black Pearl
*35% tint all around
*Interior black light and piaa superbright door lights
*Burlwood Shift Knob
*Air Spencer air freshener
*More mods to come!!
Old 05-08-2001, 02:31 AM
Instructor

I have a feeling that it is the Judy part that is complaining. Really do not take offense in what I say, but truly the younger generations have been exposed and immune to a lot more than the baby boomers on the board. Let's not make too big a deal out of this cuz it's not worth it. In this world, not everyone will be a perfect person, and you just have to learn to deal with other people. I used to hate Shyne, but now I just respect him for who he is. It is his way of life and you should respect it even if you don't agree with it. I know people here don't like to take advice form a teen, but truly look at my points and see if you agree with them. I think they are valid and should be respected as well. Sorry to go off like this but I had to say it, or people will become even more angered as they read the original post.

------------------
*2000 Acura 3.2 TL
*Nighthawk Black Pearl
*35% tint all around
*Burlwood Shift Knob
*More mods to come!!
Old 05-08-2001, 02:32 AM
Instructor

Hey MODS leave this on the TL board so it will get more traffic and we'll see what other people think about this issue. It will be interesting to see it unfold. Thanks

------------------
*2000 Acura 3.2 TL
*Nighthawk Black Pearl
*35% tint all around
*Burlwood Shift Knob
*More mods to come!!
Old 05-08-2001, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

On an anonymous board, the articulation in your posts is the only trait on which people have to base an opinion of your character. I for one do not want people thinking I am just another vulgar, young punk with a limited vocabulary. This said, I am not necessarily offended by any certain language or topic. People speak as they would with their peers. What some may fail to realize is that in a public forum such as this, the common thread is an automobile, not age, race, sex, etc. My opinion is that people should be allowed to post freely, with the understanding that they are probably being stereotyped based on their choice of words.

Focus on the meaning of the post, not the prose.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by java_coder:
On an anonymous board, the articulation in your posts is the only trait on which people have to base an opinion of your character. I for one do not want people thinking I am just another vulgar, young punk with a limited vocabulary. This said, I am not necessarily offended by any certain language or topic. People speak as they would with their peers. What some may fail to realize is that in a public forum such as this, the common thread is an automobile, not age, race, sex, etc. My opinion is that people should be allowed to post freely, with the understanding that they are probably being stereotyped based on their choice of words.

Focus on the meaning of the post, not the prose.
I agree 100% with java. I also have to add that what you consider vulgar and pointless posts are usually in the off-topic section. With this said, if you are offended by items in Off-topic and you and you use this site as a TL related site, stay in the TL-related forums. If you continue to go to the off-topic section and the title of the post offends you, don't click on it. If after that, the content of the post offends you then click the back button on your browser as many times as it takes to not be offended.

If there is vulgar or offensive subject matter in areas other than off-topic, then there is a problem. However, if these posts are in off-topic, i do not feel that there should be any action by the mods (myself included).

------------------
Only god can stop a Hurricane.

What do we eat...GATOR MEAT!!
Who do we hate...FLORIDA STATE!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Stylin Silver Sled on May 08, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-08-2001, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Why can't we all just get along?
There's a reason why we have the Off Topic forum here too. just for that reason- Off Topic! You can say whatever tickles your pickle (or whatever blows wind up your skirt, for those female poster's )in that forum! In this world, we have Freedom of speech. You can say what ever your heart desires. But for crying out loud, if you even have a slightest thought that it might be vulgar, insulting, embarrassing, or outright wrong, you're better off not saying anything at all. We are all one big family here, we rag on each other, but in a friendly way in which we all know that it's a joke. But remember, there are limits.
Eddie
P.S. You know I'm serious when I sign my name as Eddie and not Ed...

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech Springs and Sways, CL Type S wheels wrapped with 225/45/17 Dunlop SP9000's, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, Gutter Guard Grille, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 05-08-2001, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Hey Ed...Isn't this off-topic.

------------------
Only god can stop a Hurricane.

What do we eat...GATOR MEAT!!
Who do we hate...FLORIDA STATE!
Old 05-08-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro

great, first a power shortage, then a gas price increase, and now censorship on tl.com. I agree that it should BE professional and courteous, but that all depends on the memebers. If a memeber chooses to use vulgarity or reference to sex in cars... the topic says what the posts will be about. there isn't a gun to your head to read every single topic on the forum.
We all know how to act mature, but to have moderators censor this and that... that going too far.
REDMONDTL: YOUR POINTS WELL TAKEN, NICELY STATED.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

I agree we should not be censoring foul language and what people on the board has to say, unless it gets really out of hand.

I say the mods should move topics to appropriate forums and should not be trying to censor anything that may or may not offend you, unless the post is just plain stupid.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

ONCE AGAIN..I'D LIKE TO THANK SNOOK FOR THIS SITE. Keep it cool guys...we're all friends here!
Old 05-08-2001, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Thanks TL type S. hope every gets along!

------------------
*2000 Acura 3.2 TL
*Nighthawk Black Pearl
*35% tint all around
*Burlwood Shift Knob
*More mods to come!!
Old 05-08-2001, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

Oh shut the **** up! j/k
Old 05-08-2001, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Nate:
Oh shut the **** up! j/k
LOL!

Too vulgar Nate, you will repent!

Old 05-08-2001, 10:47 PM
Drifting

sometimes, between the old members, it's just kidding around, but for some other ppl that don't own a TL just purely bashing, it's getting really old... as I've said before, don't trash this place... and well said there, bud. I couldn't stand that before, but now I don't really care anymore...

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 05-08-2001, 10:55 PM
Instructor

TO REDHOT TL: Don't tell me you don't care. You have some of the best, most informative, posts on this site. I know you may have swallowed a few too many, but I believe you do care about this site and the conduct of its visitors.

This is a CLASS site, and should be treated accordingly. It is not a place where common and vulgar adolesents come together in an effort to offend everyone else.

I only hope that Tim will instruct the Moderators to come down hard on this sort of thing.

Also, as a last thought. It hsa nothing to do with how long somebody has been on the board.

------------------
01 WDP,full.bra, PIAA Crystal. 1400's, burl trim & shifter, Injen short ram., 25%tint.OEM body kit on the way. Looking for reasonable headers & exhaust.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:07 PM
Pro

Smile

With this many contributors, it would seem unlikely that all the posters would be identical in their approach. There's a good bit of latitude in what society rates as acceptable and there's always someone wanting to "push the envelope". If something is offensive, use your own "self-censor", rather than hoping for another "police force" to expunge it.
Old 05-09-2001, 02:53 AM
Pro

I know i cuss on here. not a lot, but its part of my vernacular i guess. I'll try to cut it down. never even realized it.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint
Old 05-09-2001, 02:11 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
P.S. You know I'm serious when I sign my name as Eddie and not Ed...
Yep Eddie sounds much tougher than just plain Ed...

I've learned to talk to most of the newcomers as I would do to a kid... since so many of you are so touchy... especially in the general discussion... but come to off-topic and anything goes ...
vulgar or not you can offend people same and even more without vulgarities...

But very rarely is anything harsh that is said on here is really meant that way...

------------------
Out on parole and on best behavior...
Old 05-09-2001, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yuse Guys get outta line and Eddie will kick your B**t...

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels with Bridgestone RE 730 - 225/45/17's. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:26 PM
Racer

I have not been offended by this forum at all. How can you (wayneandjudy) make such a statement when you have obtained so much information from this forum.
This forum is a great site; people on this site have great self control, if you consider they could write anything they wanted. I thought we lived in the US!
Also, if you go to a book store or someplace magazines are sold; take a look at the hot rod and car magazines. You will see all types of pictures of gorgeous women. Maybe this offends you as well, but cars and beautiful women in bathing suits have always gone together.
p.s. I have never once posted any profanity on this site and never intend to; and I also understand the younger generation and their need for self expression as well.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:46 PM
Drifting

This site is far from offensive when you take a look at other boards. just surf over to the CL board for a while... it's just about anything goes over there. This site is PG-13 at best I think.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:58 PM
Drifting

I think this site is kept up pretty well. Compared to cl.com it is tame. If a subject is in the wrong place it gets moved. If a subject gets disrespectful it gets locked. It is that simple.
Old 05-09-2001, 09:46 PM
Race Director

http://www.acura-tl.com/cgi-bin/Ulti...i?action=agree

Freedom of speech? The Constitution? This is the Internet you can say what you want?

So your second week on the job, you find out that your Vice President owns a TL (same as you) and you invite him to check out TL.com; he goes home and logs in hoping to talk about cars and his 12 year old daughter is reading with him: Those BMW pricks can kiss my ass!!!! in the subject area. Or later in a thread that started out nice and calm, someone interjected, Well four-doors are better than two. At least I can layed in the back seat. Real nice.

It's not that bad over in CL.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior
Old 05-09-2001, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation

One way to look at it is that most men grow up drinking beer and building hot-rods, etc. That's the stereotypical male. This place will always have the tendency of a big fraternity. We poke fun, talk about women, and obviously are not always sensitive about who reads the posts.

A.I love to Mod my TL
B. You people love to Mod your TL

Therefore we think A=B and if one person says something vulgar, he/she most likely thinks others are thinking it too, so there is no remorse.

We are all hanging around the keg and who cares if someone burps.

Obviously, personal attacks should not be condoned, but saying a dirty joke or a crass comment should not have to be censored.

We shouldn't have to walk on egg-shells here. We are all friends with one thing in common. If someone doesn't like the crowd, they have every right to remove themselves from it.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:40 PM
tea elle

The problem as I see it has to do with the lack of boundaries many people have in their lives. So many people don't know how to behave appropriately anymore. Why would they be any different on a web site?

Common decency is on the decline in our wonderful country. Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity..."it's all good" nowadays. That phrase is so telling. What is good vs. what is bad...there's just no telling anymore.

It all goes back to how you were raised and what kind of parenting you received.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
25% Tint, 35% In Front
Old 05-10-2001, 05:40 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Well all you mother****ers can kiss my ****ing ***!!! I'm sick of all the *****ing!!

Hehehe, I just typed that with astericks to see how people would interpret it.

I agree though, some times people get totally off topic on a perfectly good thread and ruin it! We are talking about using VAFC's to adjust your A/F ratio one minute and before you know it, two people are cussing each other out and replying to each others posts every 30 seconds.

Just my thoughts.

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 171HP & 160ft/lbs
- Koni Yellows & Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (3HP & 7ft/lbs torque increase in peak power)
- Jet-Hot coated CompTech Headers
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 6.9 sec (G-Tech) [with i/h/p]
Old 05-10-2001, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BNut:
Well all you mother****ers can kiss my ****ing ***!!! I'm sick of all the *****ing!!

I interpreted it as...

how close was I? j/k

Anyhow, I think this board is very well maintained and not at all offensive. Anything that is offensive is usually in the off-topic section as it should be.

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
WW Spoiler, Comptech Exaust, Rear Comptech Sway bar, H&R OE Sport Springs, AEM CAI, Inspire Tails, Inspire Interior footwell lighting
Old 05-10-2001, 08:07 PM
Drifting

If things get really bad in off-topic, it will still get locked. But it has to be pretty bad for that to happen.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SoundSpeed on May 10, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-10-2001, 11:08 PM
Banned

Thta's why there is an Off Topic forum. Anything vulgar or insipid should be posted there, and is. I don't care about people posting insensitive stuff in Off Topic -- I can be pretty nasty, but I make sure to keep it in OT. I say, if the subject line bothers you, then don't read the thread. Pretty simple. Kinda like radio or TV. Tim has indeed created a nice forum, but I think things will be alright.