Why shouldn't you pump your brakes when you have ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Why shouldn't you pump your brakes when you have ABS

I know that ABS pumps your brakes many times per second which prevents your brakes from locking up and gives you better control.

I was once told that pumping your brakes when you have ABS is bad and that when braking you should apply constant pressure to the pedal.

Can anybody give a detailed answer on why pumping ABS brakes is bad?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2001, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you dont have ABS, then pumping the brakes gives you better steering control than if you just locked them up.

In an ABS car you cant physically pump the brakes faster than the system can, so if you do pump them manually all you will be doing is making your stopping distance longer. Just slamming them down and hlding your foot there will give you better control and shorter stopping distances than in you pumped them manually.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde

TL Type-S Forum Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
Old 06-21-2001, 07:39 PM
...and then there was One

That wasn't really the answer you were looking for; you already knew all that.
I have never heard it is 'bad' for you to pump ABS brakes. Maybe it throws off the computer? I would ask a professional, expert.
Besides, just keep your foot on the gas. Why are ya slowing down, a Lexus or Maxima in front of you? :-) If you need to slow down, downshift. If that doesn't slow you fast enough, hit the brake hard, then jump right back on the gas. Brakes? We don't need no stinkin' brakes. (although, I do miss having an e-brake with a handle, once in a while)

Play nice...
Old 06-21-2001, 07:39 PM
Drifting

I also heard that pumping ABS brakes interferes with the computer as it controls the ABS. It causes the computer to constantly reset or something of that nature. Anybody know anything about this?
Old 06-21-2001, 07:52 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Well, is call Anti-Lock Brake System. There is only one way not to lock your brakes and that is by pumping the brakes so you should assume that the ABS would do that for you.

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Bitium on June 21, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-21-2001, 08:41 PM
Drifting

I understand how ABS works, I simply heard something from a mechanic awhile ago about how it is bad to pump ABS brakes and I was wondering if anybody had any technical information about this since I cannot get in contact with the mechanic who originally told me this.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:47 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The only real "BAD" thingy about pumping the brake with ABS is that you significantly lengthen the brake distance, and you COULD hit what you could have avoided....

Just my thought...

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV
Old 06-21-2001, 09:32 PM
Pro

Pumping your brakes with ABS defeats the purpose. ABS pumps your brakes for you much faster than you could. Each time you press and release the brake, the ABS stops working and then starts again. Keep your foot firmly on the brake and let the ABS do its job

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-22-2001, 02:48 AM
Racer

Originally posted by lonny:
Pumping your brakes with ABS defeats the purpose. ABS pumps your brakes for you much faster than you could. Each time you press and release the brake, the ABS stops working and then starts again. Keep your foot firmly on the brake and let the ABS do its job

ok... i'm REALLY tired but i wanna get this post up first... umm i've talked to pros about this issue and i've taken a defensive driving class so here ya go... lonny's answer is the most accurate one...

i think you should rephrase the question... there isn't anything "bad" pumping the brakes if you have ABS... (under normal braking condition).. however, if you have to brake severely you should NOT pump the brake as it is NOT THE CORRECT way to do it... (i mean it's not BAD.. you just won't be able to stop in time!!! cuz the system is being reset every time you pump on it)

the way how ABS works is that when you SLAM on your brake for an emergency stop, it will pump it hundreds of times (i dont know the exact figure) per second to prevent the brakes locking up... this ONLY works if you apply a very strong braking force (ie. slamming on your brakes)... if it senses that your brakes are going to lock up, then it will kick in and pump the brakes automatically for you. so IF you let go of the brakes (or pump it by yourself in other words) the systems "RESETS" until you apply the brake heavily again.....

ok think about this.. (i'm not sure if this is a good metaphor).... imagine that you have a strobe light (it flashes like say 60 times per minute)... the second you plug it in or turn it on, it will start blinking right?? now WHY IN THE WORLD would you turn it on and off and on and off to archieve your goal? (to flash the light manually)?? because everytime you turn it off then back on, the cycle resets! the strobe light does the job by itself... so just leave it alone!!! .. so in the case you need to brake for an emergency... just SLAM on that mofo... and don't let go until you're stopped!

under normal braking condition, the ABS doesn't do any work... as if you dont have it at all... so if you want to pump your brakes then go ahead... (assuming that you have sufficient room to brake of course).. and slowly slow down your car that way... (and with that practice, it actually prolongs the life of your brake pads, vs. keeping your foot on the brake the whole time)..... so a lot of times when i exit the freeways... i'd slow down like 3 times i'd go from say 60-50.. then let go.. then go from like maybe 50-40 then 40-30.... by like a pumping action.. but the key point is that i don't slam on the brake when i do that.. i brake gradually.. then let go then brake gradually again...

thats how my friend and i usually brake and the longest he's gone with a set of brake pad is 70k miles...

------------------
2002 TL-S w/ Navi
White Diamond Pearl/Ebony

- Blackwood dash trim
- Mudflaps (soon to be painted), wheel lock
- PIAA superwhite all around
- Hyper Plasma H.I.D on foglights and high beam
- Disco neon light interior

Soon to come:
- 5% (limo) tint
- Body kit
- JL subs & amps
- Body colored grill (maybe)

(R.I.P) 1995 Honda Accord EX-V6
Cashmere Metallic/Ivory

- Focal G7 18x7
- Nitto NT-555 225/40ZR18
- Eibach Pro-Kit
- FET CATZ XSL Foglights
- PIAA Superwhite all around
- Clear lens all around
- Euro tail light kit
- 20% tinted windows
- No engine mod
Old 06-22-2001, 02:49 AM
Racer

YAY!!! i'm finally a gold member.. lol.. *thank you thank you*.. LOL

and I've only been on here for less than a month hehe... i guess i'm catching up real quick.... perhaps I should get a life huh?
Old 06-22-2001, 03:20 AM

OK, people... listen up. He knows what ABS is, how to use it, and what it does.
What he is ASKING is if it will hurt the ABS system. He is NOT saying he pumps his brakes, or would like to. Simply, if one were to pump their brakes when they have ABS, would it damage the system. So, if any professionals out there know (actually 'know', not 'guess'), please help out. Otherwise, please don't tell him not to pump the brakes....

Play nice...
Old 06-22-2001, 10:44 AM
MBA
Advanced

Cool

Read the Owner's Manual - it's in there.
ABS pumps it for you many more times than humanly possible.

------------------
2002 TL-S Satin Silver - no NAV
Old 06-22-2001, 10:50 AM
Racer

it wouldn't hurt the brakes... it just that if you pump it, it won't work the way its supposed to... period
Old 06-22-2001, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Pumping the brakes on any car will not damage you brakes or the ABS system. They're heavy duty pieces of equipment capable of withstanding a lot of pressure. Heavy braking will shorten the life of certain brake components, however.

Pumping the brakes on an ABS-equipped car is strongly unadvised because of the very reasons that were posted earlier here: The ABS system is designed to operate when there is constant and sufficient brake pressure applied to the pedal AND when the deceleration is so sudden that one or more of the wheels lock (aka, begin to skid). Therefore, pumping the breaks will NOT properly activate the ABS system and you will find yourself taking a longer time/distance to brake. So there's your answer: ABS simply will not activate unless you keep your foot planted with enough pressure on the brake pedal.

------------------
'01 Naples Gold TL with Navi
Comptech springs
Tokico shocks
Interior wood trim kit
Custom aluminum mesh grill
Wings West 2-leg spoiler wing
Solar Gard Titanium Tint 43 all around.
Cuzo Hyperwhite hi beams.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:45 PM

Thumbs down

Still no real answer... just people stating the obvious: no need to pump the brakes because that is what ABS does for you, only faster and smarter than you are able to.

So, no need for any more posting unless you know if it will damage the computer, or hardware. Thanks.