Why in the HELL would you lower your car?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 01:45 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sniper5
DAVE,

I'M AT WORK WHERE USING CAPS IS REQUIRED FOR MOST OF THE STUFF I DO AND I DON'T FEEL LIKE SWITCHING BACK AND FORTH. YOU TYPE THE WAY YOU WANT TO AND LEAVE ME ALONE. IF IT'S BUGGING YOU, THE SKIP THE MESSAGE AND DON'T READ IT.
AS FAR AS THE RIDE GOES, THE CAR IS EVEN MORE BOUNCY WHEN TIRE PRESSURE IS SET AT 32-34 PSI. I HAVE IT SET AT 40 PSI NOW AND IT IS FIRMER AND BETTER, BUT STILL BOUNCY FOR MY TASTE.
Boy you don't get out much on 'net forums or newsgroups, do you? Hint: all caps makes it look like you're SHOUTING. But if you don't like my comments you can just skip this message

If you're still reading this message, then let me say that I can't understand how 32 PSI is more bouncy than 40 psi. A lower PSI will allow the tire to flex more and absorb more shocks from the road.

So you prefer the 40 PSI ride and hate the bounce, eh? Did you actually test drive this car before you bought it?
Old 08-10-2001, 03:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Why in the HELL would you lower your car?!?!?

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
I lowered my '02 TL-S for about 3 weeks now...to me, it's great! My dad saw it...and he's all complaining about it...on how "cheap" the car looks, and what a complete waste of $$$ it was. I told him every reason i got them 1) Looks better 2) Handles Better 3) Safer (under certain conditions). He says, "If lowering ur car is so great, why don't the dealers put springs on all the TL?" also, "The car is designed like that, it's not suppose to be modified" Since he's my dad and i respect him, i can't really say much to defend myself; but there are lots of reasons that i can give him. I was wondering if some of you can explain to my 40 year old dad why i got the springs...and can you also put ur age so he knows that older people do this too. thanks a bunch you guys.
Tell him that I am his age and tell him that there is a job shortage in the automotive field right now. Can you say dot-gone.

I'm 47, look like 30, and love cars (among other things). I have the Toyos, sways, headers, CAI, SSR Comps, strut bar, and other goodies on the car and love it. It will scare the $hit out of just about anyone (if required due to high handling Gs -- the Toyos are like epoxy-glue). Unless the car is scraping the ground, what does he care? I have noticed that the Comptechs get a bit bouncy with the stock shocks on the CLS

BTW -- the stock car is generally designed for a correct combination of springs and shocks. I have lowered a ton of cars, but haven't found the right combo for great ride and mean handling yet (have in the past). The point is this -- if you like your setup, you are the one who will learn and enjoy life. Isn't that what we were put on the planet for? If you like it, the best lesson is to trust your own judgement and/or learn from it...
Old 04-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Racer

Yeah, I don't care where you are, turn your CAPS LOCK OFF! It is one key press.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Peach Tea

where in the hell did this thread come from its like as old as God
Old 04-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by rhizopod
Yeah, I don't care where you are, turn your CAPS LOCK OFF! It is one key press.
wtf!!
Old 04-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by this is me
wtf!!
maybe we should have a day where we just bring back old skool threads
Old 04-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Safety Car

badazz32tl: lol im reading this thread, and i just noticed that its from like 3 years ago
xxcaliburxx: yeah
xxcaliburxx: it the lowering ****
badazz32tl: lol yea
xxcaliburxx: something about the cap button
badazz32tl: hell yea
badazz32tl: wtf
badazz32tl: yo lets whore that thread up
xxcaliburxx: sure
badazz32tl: lol
Old 04-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by badazzTL
maybe we should have a day where we just bring back old skool threads
go search for the first thread.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Peach Tea

badazz32tl: lol im reading this thread, and i just noticed that its from like 3 years ago
xxcaliburxx: yeah
xxcaliburxx: it the lowering ****
badazz32tl: lol yea
xxcaliburxx: something about the cap button
badazz32tl: hell yea
badazz32tl: wtf
badazz32tl: yo lets whore that thread up
xxcaliburxx: sure
badazz32tl: lol
haha we were supposed to be secret
Old 04-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Peach Tea

dude i was sitting here for like 20 mins reading this $hit, then i notice its from 2001, im like WTF!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

haha we were supposed to be secret
Its a-tl
Old 04-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

dude i was sitting here for like 20 mins reading this $hit, then i notice its from 2001, im like WTF!!!
take you 20 min?!!
Old 04-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Peach Tea

go search for the first thread.
haha ok hold on
Old 04-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Peach Tea

take you 20 min?!!
yea i was all chillin, reading the thread, cuz i thought its 3 pgs long so i must have missed something.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

yea i was all chillin, reading the thread, cuz i thought its 3 pgs long so i must have missed something.
slow!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Comptech Freak

it's gd to lower the car in california...

i can't lower it here up north in toronto...imagine my front lip got stractched by snow banks even without the OEM kit...=(

and i don't want my car to be a snow prowler either...that's y i keep my car stock...but will get a nice set of tires whne i am done with the stock ones....

btw i am 20~
Old 04-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Mods, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to kill threads after activity has ceased for 2 weeks or so. (by kill I mean dis-allow replies).

This thread is OLD.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by jkozlow3
Mods, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to kill threads after activity has ceased for 2 weeks or so. (by kill I mean dis-allow replies).

This thread is OLD.
what would that prove? it would just cause more people to start new threads and not use the search feature...
Old 04-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
NO!!!!

I don't mean ERASE the threads, I mean dis-allow replying to them after they've died.

There is no reason someone should be able to bring back a thread from a year ago. Then, everyone spends 10 minutes reading it before they realize they read it a year ago!!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by jkozlow3
NO!!!!

I don't mean ERASE the threads, I mean dis-allow replying to them after they've died.

There is no reason someone should be able to bring back a thread from a year ago. Then, everyone spends 10 minutes reading it before they realize they read it a year ago!!
oh, yea i guess you have a point.
old posts are a post whore's dream
Old 04-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Instructor

well it got me too, but oh well. i dropped my car with h&r sports and love it.. i had to input my opinion bcs i sat here and read this old as thread. no smile for OWNED!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Safety Car

always read the date first guys!
Old 04-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by CL2TLS
well it got me too, but oh well. i dropped my car with h&r sports and love it.. i had to input my opinion bcs i sat here and read this old as thread. no smile for OWNED!!!
lol
do you have n e pics of ur car w/ H&R sports? mine will be here tuesday.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:13 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Dont worry your comments were not taken as a personal attack, and I hope you dont take my comments as such. Although that last statement is in contradiction with your first one.

I truely believe the suspension mods to increase the safety of the car by increasing its handling. I had one particular instance with my Accord that had an aftermarket suspension.

I was rounding a bend in the highway and all of a sudden came across this car that apparently had a blowout and was just sitting there perpindicular to traffic completely blocking two lanes of traffic(the left and middle). I was in the left lane at the time and managed to nail the brakes and cut over to the far right lane in time. If I hadnt had those rims, shocks, springs, and upgradedbrake pads, I am pretty sure the car would not have behaved the same and that I probably would have been unable to avoid him, and I either would have hit him or the concrete center divider. Bottom line in any emergency lane change test right now, my TL-S would best ANY stock one. Take a drive in one with springs and sways and tell me if you disagree.
Mr Hyde,

I cannot tell you how many accidents that I have avoided because of superior handling and braking. Superior Power, handling, and braking all can get you out of situations to avoid accidents when in the right hands (and I'm not talking about situations that stupid driving gets you into either). There are a lot of inept drivers out there that don't have a clue.

After I modified the suspension on one of our cars, my wife came home one evening and said that some idiot driver came over into her lane. She made the comment that she appreciated the new suspension because it went where she wanted it to and was she was able to keep the car under control. She remembered how the car handled before and knew that she wouldn't have been able to maneuver out of it previously.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:28 AM
Pro

Good lord...i think i should delete my post from 2 years ago.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:21 AM
Instructor

:yack:
[/B]
you make everyone else wait for you while you gingerly enter the driveway after making a fast left hand turn in front of other drivers and then practically stop before pulling in. .
If you have love for your car, you will do that even to a stock TL-S:thefinger Do you think those speed bumps really have to be a foot high with only 6 inches width...(if you did that, you know those will get us much worse than the wider speed bump.)... One thing I wanted to say THANKS TO THOSE SUV's SOB FLYING OVER BUMPS AND SPEED 30mph IN PARKING LOT :bigun2:

I want to add one point to the original topic though... we all know factory doesn't have their luxury cars lowered for comprimised.

Actually the big picture would be the Warranty issues... dealer have to pay for a lot of blown tires, scrapped bumper, interior noises... Acura will have to fork out a lot of money for "making customer happy" which in turn make the TL-S price higher...

I think it's all good being the TL-S a entry level luxury car.

I have to laugh when some NSX / Ferrari owners (tends to be older men/ women) complained about the front bumper being too low...... What did they expect??? Also, a lot of these POV reflects people's age. The majority of us in 20's to 40's were growing up watching touring cars thus that's why we think cars look better if it stick to the ground.
Guys with older age (like my dad) doesn't think that way, because in their days all the cars looked fine even with 2 foot clearance underneath the bumper...(well, those days bumper is only a chrome trim.)

It's just like fashion... like I felt I'm getting too old for those new Honda / Acura concept models...
Old 04-18-2003, 07:28 AM
...and then there was One

lol
do you have n e pics of ur car w/ H&R sports? mine will be here tuesday.
Here's mine:

Front:

Rear:

If you want more, let me know.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro

One reason why I haven't lowered my car is that I worry about rubbing.

On the back roads of CT with all their dips and dives, my wheels and rubber rub at times, I picture disaster if I dared lower the car.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by SimTypeS
nice ride and pics!
Old 04-18-2003, 03:31 PM

I'd tell my dad to keep driving his Odyssey or whatever. Obviously he knows nothing about cars which is cool and if you explain how springs help and he still has no clue, I'd ask for a DNA test.

Acuras like Most Lexus and Infiniti and Benz are tuned for luxury, therefore the wheel gap and comfortable springs. BMWs look slammed stock with the sport kit.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
This is really funny reading this. Hey NSXDreamer, please have some pity on the old men! I'm 56 and still love driving fast cars with some mods on them. My TLS has new wheels (ROH's) and tires plus tint.

I also had in my days,

- 55 Chevy;
- Mazda 323 GT with about $4,500 worth of upgrades;
- 87 Buick Turbo with $4,000 worth of engine work, real fast sucker!!
- 2001 CLS

and now my 2003 TLS.

So if he was my son, I would want the keys to try it out

Old 04-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Drifting

I'm 36 and a dad and I just lowered my car with Comptechs.

In "Dad language" the basic idea is this.

Just like with a three piece suit or even dress shoes, some people are "off the shelf" customers while others need some tailoring.

The TLS comes from the dealer in a form that is most likely to appeal to the centre of the normal distribution.

For the most part, I think it's a pretty darn good ride but it needs a slightly thicker rear sway and it needs less wheel gap to be considered a true sports sedan. It's just that it's easier for enthusiasts to buy "lowering suspensions" than it would be for family people who need some ground clearance to buy "raising springs".

So the fact that it comes with a higher wheel gap is due to the assymetry in the desire for those seeking a particular wheel gap to go to aftermarket parts (ie. those seeking performance are less likely to be deterred from the purchase decision than those who need clearance would be if it came low off the lot).

The only thing I would suggest, however, is that since the TLP already exists, it would have made more sense to deliver the Type S with a comptech/stock 540 style wheel gap.

All the points you raised about handling and safety are valid and the tradeoff, of course, is comfort.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Pro

here is my view on modding a tl-s. why would you spend more money on a bimmer, benz etc.? they handle better, more power, look better etc. well instead of paying 40 or 50k for your car, similar results can be had with much less money. to me it doesn't make sense not to mod your car (read the rest before flaming). my tl-s is bone stock because i juyst got it and the $$$ is low. i love the car, but no car is perfect. there is always room for improvement. therefore the right mods can achieve the same affect that is desired (expected from more expensive cars) but for less money. sorry for the verbal diahrea (rambling).

BTW i have the same problems explaining mods to my father, but at the same time he wants me to find moderately priced speakers and small accesories for his truck. i try to justify it to him with the aforementioned reasons, but i usually resort to "cuz i paid for it"

oh yeah: 19 years old

just my 2 cents
Old 04-22-2003, 01:21 AM
Instructor

To frainc,
So if he was my son, I would want the keys to try it out
You know my dad would do the same too... LOL. he's over 50 already...

I have to add one point of lowering too, if there's no touring car syndrome, the best supension out there would be like those on Rally cars ( I'm not saying those they use on Safari stage) you know like those they use on country roads.

Some lowering springs always suggest the lowering stance provide lower center of Gravity.... With it being a street car, I found that unless I was flying 100 miles+, the lowering stance gave me more scrubbing to the road at some tight uphill corners. The firmness of the shocks and the spring rates are way more important than the lowering itself, right??
Old 04-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Hey NSXDreamer,

I was going to flame you on another post, but I did it once to you and so I had some pity on a younger person

But you talked about your Dad and he seems to be like me, loves cars and fool around with them also.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm old now, 44. When I was young I was spoiled by Z-28's, Magnum Chargers, Tri-power Goats, Cobra-jet Mustangs, Wedge Cuda's, but the only thing I could afford was rusted, ragged on hot rods, so all my time and money was spent just trying to keep them running. Now I modify cars because I can. It sure is nice working on new cars instead of those old rusty ones. Two years ago I bought a new 02 Camaro SS and proceeded to buy and install every bolt on speed mod available, (no blower or bottle). What a freekin blast! 420 fwhp rwd 6-speed. Next I moved on to my son's 99 Civic Si. It's a high comp. blown v-tech, with a 9500 rpm red line. I think the Si is quicker than the SS. We never got the chance to line em up though. The SS was not driven in the winter, and that put enough pressure on the family car situation that I decided to trade the SS for a new TL-S, (mainly because there was a blower kit for it). So far, since early march ('03), I've installed Comptech springs and sways, OEM kit and 20% tint. I am waiting for delivery of the blower kit and the Stone headers. The stock exhaust and audio will do just fine. Tires and brakes will be upgraded when the stock components need to be replaced. I hope the blower upgrade will be available before I get rid of it. I modify my cars,.....because I can,....both physically and financialy. I know I will out-grow it, (when I have to), but for now, I can, so I do. I drive about 50k miles a year, so I'll get 2-3 years out of the TL-S and it will be on to something else. The funny thing is, I never quit looking for the next car. The mod addiction began two years ago whe I bought an open exhaust for the 02 SS. $2k later the exhaust was done.

I replied to this old post because my therapist told me it's good to talk it out. My name is Brad, and I am a Mod Addict.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:00 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The car's already farking lowered. What's his complaining going to do at this point?

Having said that, my dad is 54 and thinks cars are best left alone as it came from the factory. I even have a hard time convincing him about putting a system in the car.

Anyway... lowering the car (to a certain limit) does make it look better, handles better (assuming it's properly set up and adjusted, not like Honda riceboys who just cut their springs ), etc, etc.

21 (What do I know? :p)
Old 04-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by ModAddict
I'm old now, 44. When I was young I was spoiled by Z-28's, Magnum Chargers, Tri-power Goats, Cobra-jet Mustangs, Wedge Cuda's, but the only thing I could afford was rusted, ragged on hot rods, so all my time and money was spent just trying to keep them running. Now I modify cars because I can. It sure is nice working on new cars instead of those old rusty ones. Two years ago I bought a new 02 Camaro SS and proceeded to buy and install every bolt on speed mod available, (no blower or bottle). What a freekin blast! 420 fwhp rwd 6-speed. Next I moved on to my son's 99 Civic Si. It's a high comp. blown v-tech, with a 9500 rpm red line. I think the Si is quicker than the SS. We never got the chance to line em up though. The SS was not driven in the winter, and that put enough pressure on the family car situation that I decided to trade the SS for a new TL-S, (mainly because there was a blower kit for it). So far, since early march ('03), I've installed Comptech springs and sways, OEM kit and 20% tint. I am waiting for delivery of the blower kit and the Stone headers. The stock exhaust and audio will do just fine. Tires and brakes will be upgraded when the stock components need to be replaced. I hope the blower upgrade will be available before I get rid of it. I modify my cars,.....because I can,....both physically and financialy. I know I will out-grow it, (when I have to), but for now, I can, so I do. I drive about 50k miles a year, so I'll get 2-3 years out of the TL-S and it will be on to something else. The funny thing is, I never quit looking for the next car. The mod addiction began two years ago whe I bought an open exhaust for the 02 SS. $2k later the exhaust was done.

I replied to this old post because my therapist told me it's good to talk it out. My name is Brad, and I am a Mod Addict.
I call BS until you give us a list of mods on that Si. By the way, it's VTEC. V-TECH is a phone company. :p And 9500 RPM? Faster than a bolt-on SS? You gotta do some serious mods to run 9500 RPM and beat a bolt-on SS with a Civic. I'm not calling you a liar. I just want to know what kind of mods you have.

What kind of mods on the SS did you have? Ever put it on a dyno? What in the name of hell is 420 fwhp rwd 6-speed?

<-- Bloomfield Hills/East Lansing here. What's up, neighbor?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
I call BS until you give us a list of mods on that Si. By the way, it's VTEC. V-TECH is a phone company. :p And 9500 RPM? Faster than a bolt-on SS? You gotta do some serious mods to run 9500 RPM and beat a bolt-on SS with a Civic. I'm not calling you a liar. I just want to know what kind of mods you have.

What kind of mods on the SS did you have? Ever put it on a dyno? What in the name of hell is 420 fwhp rwd 6-speed?

<-- Bloomfield Hills/East Lansing here. What's up, neighbor?
I never could spell. I actualy had it spelled V-teck and knew that was wrong, so you see I changed the k to an h, and that looked better at least. I do have a V-Tech phone also. The Si mods are in the sig. The freekin thing is quick. The Mustang Dyno at Detroit speedworks is set too heavy to show the right numbers for the lighter Si. We had two dyno sessions over there. The second was to dial out the overlap with the adjustable cam gears after the gsr cam and skunk2 spring swap. Detroit Speedworks caters more to the LS-1 and Mustang crowds so when we strapped the little 4- banger up and started running this blown ricer up over 9k, with a heavy load, everone stopped and said WTF! It was funny as hell, i had to go into the waiting room it was so freekin loud. One of the mechanics came in and smiled at me and said "****ing ricers!"My son smiled and nodded his head. The spring swap allows us to spin to 10k rpm, the rev limiter is set at 9500 and the new shiftlight is set at 8600 with peak hp at 8200 rpm.

I'll copy the SS mods from my old sig and add it to the bottom of this sig. The 333 whp from APE's Mustang dyno converts to approximately 410-420 flywheel horsepower (FWHP) on a rear wheel drive (RWD) 6 speed.

The race could have been close, and traction is an issue on both, so it might have been decided at the launch by the driver.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:34 PM

SimTYpeS, your car looks really good.

Quick Reply: Why in the HELL would you lower your car?!?!?