View Poll Results: Are you sick of the Mystery mod hype?
Yes
34.88%
NO
9.30%
Just give it a name and put it on the market
53.49%
I'm not going to buy it cuz of stupid marketing
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Who is sick of the Mystery Mod hype?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is sick of the Mystery Mod hype?

I think they need to give it a name already and hopefully they have enough produced. But hell, I guess this is what they wanted in the end. Create the hype and not have enough units like playstations and stuff, so when you get it you're all happy.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:19 PM
Drifting

I think you are an idiot. Can we add that to the poll?
Old 11-02-2001, 02:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good lord! Enough with this stupid **** already!

YOU GUYS NAMED IT THE MYSTERY MOD.

YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES WHO MADE ALL THE HYPE.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS OR WHAT IT DOES OR HOW IT WORKS ASK SOMEONE WHO DOES. OTHERWISE SHUT YOUR COLLECTIVE HOLES.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

We made all the hype? Bah! I'm more sick of hearing people whine about others who are being understandably skeptical about the product. :o
Old 11-02-2001, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Forgive me for being such a skeptic, but after working in the engineering field for some time I'm extremely wary of vaporware. Vaporware is worse than nothing because it wastes your time and energy when you talk about it.

Until someone posts an independent dyno test and analysis on the effects it has on the engine, tranny and general performance, I'd sooner have it disappear from this forum.

...Hey, you did ask what I thought about it!
Old 11-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Who created all the hype if not the forum members?
Old 11-02-2001, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by daverman
Forgive me for being such a skeptic, but after working in the engineering field for some time I'm extremely wary of vaporware. Vaporware is worse than nothing because it wastes your time and energy when you talk about it.

Until someone posts an independent dyno test and analysis on the effects it has on the engine, tranny and general performance, I'd sooner have it disappear from this forum.

...Hey, you did ask what I thought about it!
Wow, is that all you want???

Maybe I could retain the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) to do this independant long term durability study on the long term effects of this product on these cars and add the price to YOUR unit....that'll be...$200,000.00 Please
Old 11-02-2001, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

This is dumb....Your complaining of the hype, huh? Well this post isn't helping is it?

Have some patience and respect, if someone don't like to seeing anything about the RES, then don't look at it...JMO.

Give them a chance, were not talking about a big corporation with all the resources and R&D $$'s. Give them time! It will soon come, relax.

For the naysayers, you have the right to be a skeptic. So stand on the side, wait and watch.

And we'll all soon find out all about it, so till then start on your Christmas shopping
Old 11-02-2001, 05:52 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Stylin Silver Sled
OUCH!
Old 11-02-2001, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Umm, ok, if you didn't want hype, you would have given preliminary details wouldn't y'all have? Or done something? If you didn't want hype, there would be no word about it at all. Simple as that. Duh.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:44 PM
Drifting

syncivic: you must admit that the "pre-game show" was a clever marketing tactic--"I've got something cool for under $300 that'll put 20 HP in your car. I won't tell you what it is or how it works, but trust me, you want one." That's classic vaporware marketing.

Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes vaporware vendors do deliver on their promises, and if the Mystery Mod does perform as suggested, I'll be the first to acknowledge its performance and value.

I know that this product is made by a relatively low-budget house, but is an independent test too much to ask? At least take the "Mystery" out of the "Mod" and show me an objective test and a clear description of how it works before I join the drooling masses who can't seem to wait to give away their $300.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Right on Daverman. You just put into more detail my sentiments.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Daverman, if you read my thread, a quantity of parts are earmarked for November release to independent members of the boards for evaluations. We are not a small change company (unless a billion dollar company is small these days?) but we are smart about our money. Why spend money more providing data than the part will ever bring in during its life-cycle? If you put up a poll asking if the board will fund doubling the part price and guarantee the sale of 1000 pieces minimum then maybe I'll go along with it. My business sense says that the members you post with will flatly reject this and be happy with surveys by other board members as to the parts worth. Willing to prove me wrong?
Old 11-03-2001, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

syncivic: you must admit that the "pre-game show" was a clever marketing tactic--"I've got something cool for under $300 that'll put 20 HP in your car. I won't tell you what it is or how it works, but trust me, you want one." That's classic vaporware marketing.

Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes vaporware vendors do deliver on their promises, and if the Mystery Mod does perform as suggested, I'll be the first to acknowledge its performance and value.

I know that this product is made by a relatively low-budget house, but is an independent test too much to ask? At least take the "Mystery" out of the "Mod" and show me an objective test and a clear description of how it works before I join the drooling masses who can't seem to wait to give away their $300.
Vaporware. A new product that has been announced or marketed but not actually produced.

Looks like it's time to find a new term to overuse. I've attached a picture for your convenience:

As for how it works: There's a good explanation floating around on acura-cl.com. An engineering prodigy such as yourself should have little trouble understanding the principles behind it.

As for those who are drooling, I dare say you've got a dab of spittle in the corners of your mouth... a little bit accumulates there every time you say vaporware.
Old 11-03-2001, 01:09 PM
Jens

Kinda looks like a pan to cook a turkey in.Jens( just kidding)
Old 11-03-2001, 04:07 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by RAdams
Vaporware. A new product that has been announced or marketed but not actually produced.
Right.

Looks like it's time to find a new term to overuse. I've attached a picture for your convenience:
Thanks for the picture. As for another term to overuse, how about "Mystery Mod"? It seems to have worked great for the ad campaign.

As for how it works: There's a good explanation floating around on acura-cl.com. An engineering prodigy such as yourself should have little trouble understanding the principles behind it.
Maybe someone should explain it in terms that an educated consumer such as myself can understand. I understand the principles of Helmholtz resonance with respect to intake chambers. However, I do not understand how this mod gives me better performance across the entire RPM band. Additionally, I do not understand how the system will interact with the Type S engine (or is it not meant for that model?) that already has a variable intake system tuned for two RPM bands. Also, I don't know what the Acura ECU is going to think of the mod. As has been said in this forum before: It's a closed-loop system. Maybe it doesn't matter--but still, I have no information to convince me either way.

As for those who are drooling, I dare say you've got a dab of spittle in the corners of your mouth... a little bit accumulates there every time you say vaporware.
Look, I'm perfectly willing to admit that the product actually works, if someone can actually show me objective results. I might even buy it one day. But so far what I've seen is just that one dyno sheet done some time ago and a lot of mysterious hype.

Tell you what, since there are already two camps forming in this forum (and others)--those who are skeptical, and those who are raring to put their money down for this mod--I guess we'll just have to wait for the group with more than just a spittle in their mouths to buy the mod, and then, hopefully, we'll have a slew of independent dyno tests and on-the-road reports. Until then, I will reserve my judgment on this product. And syncivic: that oughta save you a bundle on independent testing!
Old 11-03-2001, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

its hard not to be skeptical, but sometimes not finding out all of the info is also good...he's put through the technology, and its your choice whether or not to use it...sure the info is patented, but why does he have any right to come out and tell you all his secrets...if its gonna make my car run faster and more effiecient then why not flex it...it would be flat out dumb to explain everything this man has been working for to improve our cars...just give some respect and try to realize that this conversation is going no where, either buy it or you dont...Shyne
Old 11-03-2001, 05:47 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has been added:

5) 1999TL is an idiot.

WOW new record poll for number 5) 1999TL is an idiot......3289 votes

Daverman is becoming an idiot too, should we add him to the poll??

Originally posted by Stylin Silver Sled
Old 11-03-2001, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Bitium
Duh, what a silly comment. Apparently to some people skepticism = idiocy.

OK, when the name-calling begins, I'm out. I think the law of diminishing returns dictates that I can't accomplish anything by speaking any more of my opinion here. I'll join the silent crowd and wait for some objective data to come in.

Happy modding!
Old 11-03-2001, 06:28 PM
Retired MOD

Talking

Good thinking

Duh, what a silly comment. Apparently to some people skepticism = idiocy.

OK, when the name-calling begins, I'm out. I think the law of diminishing returns dictates that I can't accomplish anything by speaking any more of my opinion here. I'll join the silent crowd and wait for some objective data to come in.

Happy modding!
Old 11-04-2001, 12:24 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Bitium
It has been added:

5) 1999TL is an idiot.

WOW new record poll for number 5) 1999TL is an idiot......3289 votes

I don't think there was any need for name calling here. We all know when Dhiren made that remark to Mike, he was only kidding. I hope you were kidding also but if not, it wasn't called for. Daverman was just voicing his opinion and I think he is entitled to do that.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:31 AM
Retired MOD

Talking

Dude of course I was kidding. Daverman brings good knowledge to this forum, he is a cool guy.

Originally posted by AcuraTL

I don't think there was any need for name calling here. We all know when Dhiren made that remark to Mike, he was only kidding. I hope you were kidding also but if not, it wasn't called for. Daverman was just voicing his opinion and I think he is entitled to do that.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by syncivic
Daverman, if you read my thread, a quantity of parts are earmarked for November release to independent members of the boards for evaluations. We are not a small change company (unless a billion dollar company is small these days?) but we are smart about our money. Why spend money more providing data than the part will ever bring in during its life-cycle? If you put up a poll asking if the board will fund doubling the part price and guarantee the sale of 1000 pieces minimum then maybe I'll go along with it. My business sense says that the members you post with will flatly reject this and be happy with surveys by other board members as to the parts worth. Willing to prove me wrong?
A few notes:
1) Don't jump Daverman's case until AFTER the independent sources have had their chance to test. I seem to remember a couple of professors who had cold fusion a few years back...

2) Why on earth would you need to ask the board to double the part price in order to submit samples to independent testing authorities? That doesn't make any business sense to me and I get to make purchasing decisions for the second largest company on earth!

3) No, the part is not "vaporware", it seems to actually exist. But, if you cannot produce the part in sufficient quantities to allow even a few independent sources to test BEFORE you release the product to market, then you either have yield or quality control issues. Note, Intel has demonstrated the ability to produce a 3.5 Ghz chip, but until it can be produced in usable quantities, it may as well not exist, except as a publicity machine.

4) If the product is sufficiently and accurately patented, there's little danger of it being reverse-engineered at a profit in the US. The cost isn't very prohibitive and why spend $50 less for something that isn't the "real thing"?

5) Why spend the money providing more data (read advertising)? A part for one of the most successful cars in America? Who's kidding who?

6) Your hype can do half the work for you, but make people wait for the data (that they really would like to see, despite your feelings otherwise) and you could miss your window of opportunity and peak marketability.

Remember, engineering a superior product is not enough, you need sound marketing as well. Talk to Sony sometime about the Betamax, the MD player, the SACD player, etc.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Sador,

Your used 2001 TL-Navi is worth about 26K on the wholesale market. Why don't you spend 30K advertising it for sale??? Your not ashamed of your car are you, go ahead and spend more than its worth!!!

I don't reasonably expect to sell more than 500 pieces over the next six months with a lesser quantity thereafter. Why spend more than I intend to make (must not have gone to business school? Or my BS in Aeronautical Engineering has left me dumb?)

Once again, if the test pieces sent out to board members produces power results on par with my own, installs in the time I said and they like what they've got...then what more do I owe the few nay-sayers??? If you choose to stand in the can't believe it line, thats fine, I RESpect your decision
Old 11-04-2001, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

well said Syn...now shut your pea holes...Shyne
Old 11-04-2001, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by syncivic
Sador,

Your used 2001 TL-Navi is worth about 26K on the wholesale market. Why don't you spend 30K advertising it for sale??? Your not ashamed of your car are you, go ahead and spend more than its worth!!!

I don't reasonably expect to sell more than 500 pieces over the next six months with a lesser quantity thereafter. Why spend more than I intend to make (must not have gone to business school? Or my BS in Aeronautical Engineering has left me dumb?)

Once again, if the test pieces sent out to board members produces power results on par with my own, installs in the time I said and they like what they've got...then what more do I owe the few nay-sayers??? If you choose to stand in the can't believe it line, thats fine, I RESpect your decision
I agree, AFTER the independent testing is done. As for your part, if you are indeed only planning/hoping to sell only 500 of them, then I agree with your low-cost approach, but not the reaction to criticism. Goodwill is invaluable; if the part does indeed speak for itself, let it. Responding in a heavy-handed way to criticism will lose you more customers than silence on the matter. In regards to your BS in AE, Engineers don't usually make the best salespeople.