Who is rust proofing the car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 09:56 AM

Post Who is rust proofing the car?

I'm thinking of having the Acura dealer rust proof the car I ordered. The cost is about $800 CDN.

Does Acura treat the 3.2 TL sheet metal similar to how german cars galvanize it.

If you were to add a higher level of protection to guard against rusting (especially in cities that use road salt) what type of rust proofing method do you recommend?
Old 03-23-2001, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None-don't do it. They drill holes , then it rusts where the holes are located. I would simply purchase two spray cans of "rubberized" undercoating and spray the underneath yourself or pay someone to hoist your car and spray for you.
Old 03-23-2001, 02:54 PM

Doesn't the new cars already come rust proofed?
Old 03-23-2001, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by driver:
Doesn't the new cars already come rust proofed?

My last experience in leasing a car is that rust proofing was included by the dealer because it is very unlikely the lesee will spend the money do it and the lessor has a vested interest in the car at the end of the term.
Old 03-23-2001, 03:30 PM

Something I came across in another Q&A forum:

Q: Hi Eric! I am going to rust-proof my '98 Honda Civic for the first time. Many rust-proofing shops drill holes in the car's body to drain excess oil and condensing water. However, my dealer doesn't recommend drilling holes because he says they may compromise the impact-resistance of the vehicle and may actually promote corrosion. Who should I listen to? Thanks!
Tim.

A:Hello Tim,
The rustproofing shops that I have dealt with have drilled holes to gain access to inner panels only, not to drain water or oil. The holes are very small and the plugs are coated with a rust inhibiter and shouldn't present any problems. As for impact resistance, thats pretty laughable, some dealers never fail to amaze me.

Old 03-23-2001, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Hey Raptor: Whether rust proofing is needed or not, I would not get it done at the dealer. You are probably paying twice as much as you need to pay. The Honda dealer here will do the same thing for $399. Personally, I would go with Rust Check. They have a good track record. The one here has two demo cars one a 1978 Volare that has no rust. They also have all kinds of pictures of old cars with no rust. It is an annual treatment costing about $120.

------------------
99 TL black/black
Old 03-23-2001, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation

Don't get it! The cars already have that. It's just another way the dealer is making $ for doing next to nothing.
Old 03-24-2001, 09:34 PM
Ain't No Other...

do not do it, the panels are galvanized steel, and will not rust...
Old 03-25-2001, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by SinnedTL:
do not do it, the panels are galvanized steel, and will not rust...
I have not read anywhere that the panels on an Acura are "galvanized". I think you only see this on german cars and they advertise it that way.

Old 03-26-2001, 12:47 AM
Ain't No Other...

wrong...most cars, even american cars come with galvanized steel panels, its a pretty basic panel manufacturing process these days...
Old 03-26-2001, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Wink

Definately do not do it through the dealer. In our part of the country, Ziebart does the best job (no I don't work there). The tiny access holes they drill are coated and sealed after the treatment. Doors, rocker panels, underside, fenderwells, all are treated. In fact they give you a guarantee against rust. Check them out yourself.

Originally posted by Raptor:
I'm thinking of having the Acura dealer rust proof the car I ordered. The cost is about $800 CDN.

Does Acura treat the 3.2 TL sheet metal similar to how german cars galvanize it.

If you were to add a higher level of protection to guard against rusting (especially in cities that use road salt) what type of rust proofing method do you recommend?

------------------
2001 Diamond White Pearl,full bra, PIAA 1400's, burl wood trim kit and shifter.