white w/underbody ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Question white w/underbody ??

I'm currently "at the table" with the sales guy for a new TL-s( actually I walked out yesterday after spending an hour with the guy, I just want to see how low he's really willing to go). Anyway,
I WILL get the car but I'm still squandering over whether or not to get the full underbody kit. My preference is white/parchment, rear-wing spoiler and roof deflector. Does anyone have any input on what the TL looks like with just the rear underbody spoiler and no other underbody stuff. I'm kinda conservative and just think the full kit would be too much. Can the dealer install just the rear or do you have to order full around kit(I'm talkin dealer here and not aftermarket). Any pics of white TL with the rear underbody only would help a lot.

Thanks,
Iggy
Old 11-28-2001, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

I know for a fact that no one has just the rear... i've actually never heard of such a setup. I've heard of just the front, but not just the rear. Anyway, if that's what you want to do, I'd advise you to buy the rear from this site, which is about $320 painted which is cheaper then the dealer.... then install it yourself (since it's just the rear, you could probably have it on in 1/2 an hour). I'm not sure if the dealer seperates it by sections (front, side, and rear), but I don't see why they couldn't. I'd still say buy the rear on here and install if yourself. You can buy the spoiler on here too, have it installed by the dealer, and save some money on that too....

edit - BTW, all of the parts you can buy from here (spoiler and underbody kit) are genuine Acura, same thing the dealer sells.....
Old 11-28-2001, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Thanks,

I guess I was just thinkng that because lower part of the rear quarter is a little higher than the sides, the rear underbody would even everything out while adding some more lines to the car. I was hoping someone who is intimate with the vehilce thought this would be a bad idea or might look allright.

Iggy
Old 11-28-2001, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely get all 3 portions of the underbody kit. I'm pretty conservative too, but I absolutely love the way mine looks with the body kit and rear trunk spoiler. I think have the rear underbody portion alone would look kinda weird.

And get th kit from this site to save yourself a lot of $$$! I got mine through this site and put it on myself. With good instructions, it shouldn't take you more than a few hours. Tim (the owner of this site) was very helpful with installation instructions and you should be able to find plenty of advice if you do a search of this site.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by juniorbean
I'd advise you to buy the rear from this site, which is about $320 painted which is cheaper then the dealer....
But the problem is that you can't find a painted kit for WDP from this site. Anyone knows why?
Old 11-29-2001, 08:16 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a WDP TL-S with the full underbody kit.....but I didn't get the spoiler. I'm not planning to since the car looks pretty good right now. Astroboy has the same setup. Here's the pics that ruvz put up from the T.O. meet on sunday.

btw, my car is pic #9
Old 11-29-2001, 09:14 AM
Racer

Just regarding the appearance question, go to the acura site and the "build your own" section of the TL. There it'll let you create a WDP w/ the spoiler and just the rear underbody. Sure it's not the best picture in the world, but it gives you an idea....
Old 11-29-2001, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by hyc2000

But the problem is that you can't find a painted kit for WDP from this site. Anyone knows why?
Ahh, I just saw that... they just sell the Taffetta white. I believe Tim stopped carrying it b/c the WDP kit doesn't match the body 100% (it's like 99.5%). This is due to the way the white bonds with the metal of the car vs. the plastic (I think it's plastic) of the body kit. He probably stopped carrying it to protect himself since I'm sure some people would complain......
Old 11-29-2001, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by juniorbean

This is due to the way the white bonds with the metal of the car vs. the plastic (I think it's plastic) of the body kit.
I understand that the paint for the plastic parts is slightly different than the paint for metal parts but what doesn't make sense it that the body kit doesn't match the bumpers. Aren't all those pieces plastic?
Old 11-29-2001, 12:00 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had to do it all over I would of bought my car completely accessory free and instead got em from this site. With the money I could of saved, I would have me a WW spoiler by now. Arrrggg!
Old 12-03-2001, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Regarding color matching of panels here's my two cent's worth - the WDP (white diamond pearl) is a three coat or tri-coat finish I believe. If so, there is a white base coat followed by a translucent mid-coat followed by a clear coat. It's the middle coat that causes painters problems as the final color match depends on the thickness of this coat. Different brands of paint painted on different type plastic panels will various differing primers and so forth....it's tough! But I will say that in sunlight nothing beats a three stage paint job for looks. Hope this shines alittle light on the subject ha ha.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:22 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to go slightly subtle, get the sides and rear. It looks good an the font wont look more agressive. I say go for the full kit. You only live once and the TL looks bad a$$ in white with the kit.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

I am having same dilemma about putting the whole bodykit on mine. How would the car look with the bodykit on the sides only?