Whine with that cheese...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 10:21 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Whine with that cheese...?

I am all for free Forums - and freedom of expression. And as an old-time memeber, I have enjoyed the Forum in all its good and bad moments.

However, am I nuts or has has this Forum become a whine-fest? Every minor problem, every minor inconvenience, every time someone is not treated like the Sultan of Bahrain...Bang...a rant! And often from someone who previously posted a "Where can I get a TL-S for next to nothing" or "I scratched my wheel when I drove into a curb" and want Acura to replace it under warranty. Then there is usually a jingoistic reference to the Ohio plant.

The paint issue is bona fide. But is a "rock chipped my window"? Next we will have a class action saying Acura uses inferior glass?

As Mr. Hyde and others have mentioned in a recent thread, all the best car marques have minor problems - what is the point of cluttering up the Forum with that stuff? Some argue that they do this so that if others have a problem there will be some sort of fraternity or support group dynamic - I do not get it - if my radio fails, it fails. If my paint goes to crap, it goes to crap. I am not going to the dealer or cail Acura and say "my radio may fail".

As to those who either cannot or will not read their owner's manuals ("How do I lock the door".."How do I start the car in the winter?")... well, that is the stuff of another time, another post.

End of MY rant. Thanks for the opportunity to do so. Opinions?
Old 08-23-2001, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

He he... I must say I agree with you there. The funny thing is that it's only in this forum. If you go to the regular TL forum, it's not nearly as bad. It always cracked me up how people would take the time out to turn on their PC, log onto the internet, come to this website and take the time to post a topic about something that is on page 104 of their manual and they could find in 20 sec. by looking at the index.

As for the complaints, I consider myself a very informed consumer, but I must say that after reading this website I was scared to pickup my car. I comes to be that all of these problems I read on here are soooo minor, I don't even notice them. The brakes, I think they're awesome, better then my CL's. Rattles, over a big bump I hear a little one maybe once every 2 weeks.... big deal.

Bottom line is that I've been around these boards since the beginning and I've come to realize this is what you get with a public internet site. I must say that 90% of the stuff on here is usefull and has helped me out, but I could definately do without the 85 new topics about the price of the TL-S when you can do a search and find it. It's just a sign of the times I guess.... the more technology we have, the lazier we get.

Oh and BTW.... it's "Do you want some cheese with that wine"
Old 08-23-2001, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My favorite whine is "they gave me a POS -insert car name here- as a loaner when I left my TL at the dealer". First, if your car is in the shop for a day or two who really cares? Q45 and LS430 owners get G20's and ES300's as loaners. Nowhere is it written that you're "entitled" to a loaner car equal to or better than what you drop off. The one exception I can see is that if your Acura is in the shop for a month (EG: transmission replacement) you'd want a decent loaner since you'll be living with it for a while. So the next time you get an Integra or Cavalier as loaner for a day or two just live with it.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Road Rage,

I'll agree with you that .. however, as more and more people are taking delivery of their new TL-S's, and subsequently also discovering this web forum, they're BOUND to ask the same questions, and nit pick the same things we all did back when we first took delivery (some, like myself in March). Not many people are going to search through previously posted topics to discover the solution to what they think may be a totally new issue.

As far as another issue that plagues me, I think people are getting better at calling each other out on the b.s. stories on this board .. you know what I'm talking about ... the proverbial, "XXX vs. TL-S tonight on the highway..." type of story. I see fewer completely unbelievable, blatantly fictitious stories, and more respect for other automobiles (namely the popular GS series, 5-series, M3, etc...).

I think some people need to lighten up when they respond to individual posts, and realize that no one is arguing for the sake of arguing. Rather, we're debating an issue (at any given time), your opinion is worthy, respected, and very welcome! But, let's not condescend peoples' posts just because we disagree.

Oh, and another thing, this is not real life. This is an internet forum, we all know that, therefore, some of this online "anger" shouldnt' even exist. No one is less of a person for not having "won" an argument about anything on this forum.

Pete
Old 08-23-2001, 12:36 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey, where's my wine?

I was cleaning my car and found my first rock chip on the hood.

Waaaaaa.

Oh well it was bound to happen. I'm surprised it took over 4 months to happen.

Now where is my wine you offered. :p

RUF
Old 08-23-2001, 12:54 PM
Pro

Smile

"There is one topic peremptorily forbidden to all well-bred, to all rational mortals, namely, their distempers. If you have not slept, or if you have slept, or if you have headache, or sciatica, or leprosy, or thunder-stroke, I beseech you, by all angels, to hold your peace, and not pollute the morning."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–82), U.S. essayist, poet, philosopher.
Old 08-23-2001, 01:09 PM
Racer

Road Rage,

I understand your sentiment. I feel the same way sometimes. There is some silly whining that goes on, such as "why doesn't my TL have [insert gadget here]?" or "a$$hole cop gave me a ticket cuz i ran a red light-wtf?" or "why does my interior C pillar get dinged up when I let the seat belt latch whack it?"

Overall, however, during my four months on this board, I have found much of the complaining about "minor" problems to be informative. One of the reasons I decided to wait until now to get a TL-S was to see if there were produciton glitches that would be cleared up during the first six months. From what I've seen here, that seems to be the case. I haven't seen any posts for quite a while about uneven tailpipes, or driver's window mechanisms, or seat belts, to name a few that come to mind. This gives me some assurance that most of these things won't be issues when I pick up my TL-S next week (it better be here!).

I also find some of the complaints about dealer treatment to be whiney, e.g., "They didn't give me a loaner so I had to wait at the dealership a whole hour, and they wouldn't even send someone to Starbuck's to get me a latte." On the other hand, I've read some "minor" complaints (and compliments) about our local dealers that I found helpful, and that, btw, were borne out during my visits to each of them this past weekend.

As for reading the manual, I agree. When I get my hands on it (again, it better be here next week), I will devour every bit of info in it, even though I'll probably already know most of it. Maybe some of the people raised on computers just aren't used to using books.

Bottom line: Most "whines" just make me chuckle.
Old 08-23-2001, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BarryH
My favorite whine is "they gave me a POS -insert car name here- as a loaner when I left my TL at the dealer". First, if your car is in the shop for a day or two who really cares? Q45 and LS430 owners get G20's and ES300's as loaners. Nowhere is it written that you're "entitled" to a loaner car equal to or better than what you drop off. The one exception I can see is that if your Acura is in the shop for a month (EG: transmission replacement) you'd want a decent loaner since you'll be living with it for a while. So the next time you get an Integra or Cavalier as loaner for a day or two just live with it.
I know I have made this complaint before, probably more than any others I have seen posted. I also think it was totally justified. I wasn't pissed off that the dealer gave me an Integra, it was the fact that the car was trashed out and out of gas when I picked it up. I would expect them to at least attempt to keep the car somewhat tidy, and I certainly expect them to have gas in the tank so I don't have to stop and fill it up on my way to work. I don't take my car in when it's bone-dry empty, so they have to fill it up before they can even test drive it.
Old 08-23-2001, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Points made and well taken. If this needs to be disussed further it can continue in OT.