Wheel Bearing gone at 45000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wheel Bearing gone at 45000 Miles

Was getting a loud humming sound when i accelerate. Went to the Dealer today and he sais the right front bearings have to be replaced. He said the price would be 475+taxes. That seems very high. I have extended wrranty and am hoping that it will cover it. If any of you guys have replaced thier bearings can you let me know how much you have paid for it and where you got it replaced. Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They didn't tell you when they gave you the price if the warranty would cover it or not?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:40 AM
9th Gear

They Told they would find out and give me a call. But 475+ taxes still sounds a little high.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 AM
9th Gear

Smile

I called them and they told me that the bearings were covered under the warranty but ther was a $100 deductible. Looks like the extended warranty is going to save me quite some money in the long run.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Ganja Farmer

man, I live in toronto, and one of my rear bearings were gone, so I decided to do both rear ones at the same time, cuz they both had the same mileage. So basically, I got 2 rear bearings done, LOWERED MY CAR with H&R SPORT springs, AND got an alignment done, for $400 cash. Find a good mechanic shop and work out a deal there man. Dealerships will murder you with prices like that.

In any case, yes....$475 is wayy too much
Old 07-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

i thought the car has 50K /4years basic warranty which would cover it also right?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rakeshreddyr
I called them and they told me that the bearings were covered under the warranty but ther was a $100 deductible. Looks like the extended warranty is going to save me quite some money in the long run.
Its called

They qoute you a high price then later bring it down. Sounds like they are saving you money & you feel better. Next time tell them to use vasoline.....
Old 07-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by randomwalk101
i thought the car has 50K /4years basic warranty which would cover it also right?
thats what i was wondering
Old 07-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh man. that's a rip. trust me i know.

i needed to replace my right rear bearing, the part itself is only 70$. labor made it a total of 150$. my local mech. did it. i watched him do it. all you havce to do is take off the brake caliper, rotor and it's a plug and play fix.

then, after about 11 months later, i needed to replace the same bearing. my local mech was amazed at why it went out again.. this time, since we bought the part of the dealership, they will warrenty it (acura has a 12k or 1yr warrenty on parts). got it replaced for free... now i'm watching it to see if it goes out again. my mech was amazed how it failed so quick. he'd never seen anything like it. he has worked for acura/honda for 20+ years.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Missing my Acura's

DEpends on what year he has if its a 99-00 then the four years are up depending on the purchase date.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro

I had my rear bearing changed under warranty, i'm at 84k. No extended warranty. They found that problem when I had my 2nd tranny replaced.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Racer

same here on my older 00 TL i had the wheel bearing replaced under warranty FREE
Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Instructor

warranties have deductibles?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Racer

the extended ones do sometimes depending on the dealer
Old 07-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
same here on my older 00 TL i had the wheel bearing replaced under warranty FREE
Did you have an extended warranty?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 AM
9th Gear

Mine is a 2001 and it only has 45000 miles. I am going to go the dealship today to get the money i paid for the deductible when it should have been covered under the basic warranty. Thanks guys for all the help. Does anyone have a list of all the parts covered under warranty So that the next time i dont get ripped off by the dealer.

Thanks again
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VTEC11
Did you have an extended warranty?

yea i did but i actually had to take it to ACURA under the new car warranty since it was under 50k miles instead of takin it to the dealer i bought it from
Old 07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rakeshreddyr
Does anyone have a list of all the parts covered under warranty So that the next time i dont get ripped off by the dealer.

Thanks again
well if your under warranty every thing is covered but wear items like tires. and the bearing should have been covered 100% ive NEVER heard of a deductable on warranty items unless its a extended warranty
Old 07-27-2005, 09:20 AM
9th Gear

My 4 years was up recently. The deductible was under the Extended warranty i had.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Racer

call acura client servies the # is on the website somewhere. tell them to pay the deductable since your car hasnt been off warranty that long and there parts shouldnt fail like this.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Wheel bearing

what are the symptoms for a wore bearing. I had a 99TL with 95k miles on it. In the winter time, I sometimes heard rubbing noise when I turn, took it to dealer. They said it was the right front bearing and needed replacement. cost about $500. I didn't do it and now I don't hear any when the weather is warm.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Cruisin'

I just recently changed both front wheel bearings in my car. I paid about $110 for both wheel bearings at acura of honolulu and i changed it myself at work.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:00 PM
3rd Gear

Does anyone know what company manufactures the OEM wheel bearing? It sounds like they are prone to premature failure. I have owned a lot of Toyota's and they use the Timken ones at least on the cars I have owned. I have never had a problem with the Timken ones and just replace them on my cars when the mileage gets high and I am looking for something to do. Autozone sells Timken front bearings for our cars for like $20 and I am thinking about just going with those. Has anyone put the Timken ones on their car? They would be a lot less than buying the OEM ones. They may even be the same bearing...just curious.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 701 Likes on 543 Posts
yeah, my wheel bearing went out at around 45K miles too. The dealership was not willing to give me any discounts (I was only 3 month out of warranty) and charged me $450.
As your last resort you can try calling acura customer care and complain, they might work out a deal for you.
Its unacceptable to have bad wheel bearing at 45K miles.... I also had number of squaking issues with my suspension while under warranty, they fixed them... I hopt it does not happen again.

Another thing, my headlight is fogging up with water condensation :-(
Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Easy fix to do yourself if you want. Of course if your still under your warranty then just go that route. Bearings are about $70 and if you can change your brakes, then you can do the hub change. A lot of us on here have done it and can walk you through it. About an hour job if you know what you're doing.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz
Easy fix to do yourself if you want. Of course if your still under your warranty then just go that route. Bearings are about $70 and if you can change your brakes, then you can do the hub change. A lot of us on here have done it and can walk you through it. About an hour job if you know what you're doing.

So how do you DIY guys replace wheel bearings? im curious..
Old 12-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
yeah, my wheel bearing went out at around 45K miles too. The dealership was not willing to give me any discounts (I was only 3 month out of warranty) and charged me $450.
As your last resort you can try calling acura customer care and complain, they might work out a deal for you.
Its unacceptable to have bad wheel bearing at 45K miles.... I also had number of squaking issues with my suspension while under warranty, they fixed them... I hopt it does not happen again.

Another thing, my headlight is fogging up with water condensation :-(

they're are MANY MANY driver issues that concern bad wheels bearings..especially if you live in a state or town where it rains alot. They are not manufacturer defects.. it's MAINLY driver faults.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by loud_whispers
they're are MANY MANY driver issues that concern bad wheels bearings..especially if you live in a state or town where it rains alot. They are not manufacturer defects.. it's MAINLY driver faults.
driver fault?? I baby my car, my previous car, toyota camry, had 195K miles, and never had any bearing/suspension related problems.
I also had CV joints replaced under warranty on my 2001 CLS.... to me its unacceptable.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

You will have to excuse loud_whispers. As far as he is concerned, Honda/Acura can do no wrong. Everything they design or ever have designed is perfect and if anything at all goes wrong with any part, it is your fault as the driver.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
You will have to excuse loud_whispers. As far as he is concerned, Honda/Acura can do no wrong. Everything they design or ever have designed is perfect and if anything at all goes wrong with any part, it is your fault as the driver.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:22 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have owned 2 previous Honda Products/Prelude and Accord. Had over 300,000 miles on both of them and never touched any wheel bearings. Was always amazed at the fact that they lasted that long. You can buy after market bearings. If you can find out the manufacturer for the Acura's, just buy the same brand. $500.00 = lets see. Acura probably pays $20.00 or less for the bearing and you are paying them about $400.00 for an hour of work=Why I NEVER go to a dealership for service! I work too hard for my $$. Glad your's $100 Deductable.
They wanted $425.00 for a rebuilt alternator at Apple Tree here in Fletcher, NC for my 91 Accord a couple of years ago. I took out the brushes (without removing the Alternator) and had them replaced at an Alternator shop for $15.00 bucks. Was absolutely no need to replace it. And they wonder why they get a bad rap from us owners!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Luke7
I have owned 2 previous Honda Products/Prelude and Accord. Had over 300,000 miles on both of them and never touched any wheel bearings. Was always amazed at the fact that they lasted that long. You can buy after market bearings. If you can find out the manufacturer for the Acura's, just buy the same brand. $500.00 = lets see. Acura probably pays $20.00 or less for the bearing and you are paying them about $400.00 for an hour of work=Why I NEVER go to a dealership for service! I work too hard for my $$. Glad your's $100 Deductable.
They wanted $425.00 for a rebuilt alternator at Apple Tree here in Fletcher, NC for my 91 Accord a couple of years ago. I took out the brushes (without removing the Alternator) and had them replaced at an Alternator shop for $15.00 bucks. Was absolutely no need to replace it. And they wonder why they get a bad rap from us owners!
yes, its better to have work done other place than a dealer. the problem is that not every mechanic can diagnose a bad wheel bearing right away. I go to this local garage (my friend mechanic works there), he does my maintance (oil change, tires, brakes and etc), but he could not figure out that the noise was due to a bad wheel bearing. At least he was honest and told me he does not know and did not charge me anything. So I had to go to Acura dealer.
it must be easy for Acura technicians, those things are common, so they know imeadeatly what is the root of the problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Racer

you'll have to excuse 03CoupeV6. As far as he's concerned, Honda/Acura does EVERYTHING wrong. Everything ever designed is defective and it's the service department's fault.

WHY DO YOU OWN AN ACURA if you complain so much about it?

wheel bearings out of the factory are defective with 2 miles on the car..

wheel bearings after 20,000 miles usually IS NOT A DEFECT IN THE PART. It's usually driver habits. Where he drives, how hard he drives and the weather.

All play a part.

I don't want to hear about toyota's, i dont want to hear about other honda's..
All are different cars and all react different to different driving conditions.

wheel bearings are covered to 50k miles even if it is from driver habits, or 100k miles if you have Acura Care. GET A WARRANTY!

damn crybaby..
Old 12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I have great respect for Honda/Acura as a company. I admire their dedication to environmentally-friendly practices and keep close tabs on their "Safety For Everyone" developments. My TL had numerous issues while it was under warranty, but since warranty has been over the issues have stopped. I've came to the conclusion that the car wasn't the problem, inept dealers and their likewise inept Acura techs were the problem. The dash on my TL warped (at 30k miles and the service advisor blamed it on me - hey you've all got that in common!) but they replaced it anyway, and didn't install it correctly. The top of the dash was completely loose and would flop around and the service advisor told me this was a "normal" trait. I showed him other TL's on the lot, none of which did this, and he agreed to fix it. When I picked it back up, his fix was stuffing a used shop towel down between my upper dash and windshield. I flipped out on the dealer and had a district rep meet me there and after that visit, they took care of my problems. Then I filed a complaint with the BBB against Nalley Acura in Atlanta, Georgia.

But I digress - the TL is my 7th Honda product. I've had 3 new Accords in 4 years. I love these cars, they're low maintenance and they are relentlessly reliable and I enjoy the features and the driving experience. But the service for both Honda and Acura is seriously lacking. I am not paying the high prices dealers demand for a lot of fluff, especially when the service experience sucks so bad. If it were Lexus, perhaps... but not this Acura shit.

I like my TL and my 05 Accord V6, and I liked my many Accords before this. But I never liked the dealers and I never will.

And, for the record, Honda and Acura designs are overwhelmingly well thought out and well engineered. But all companies make their mistakes, and they should take responsibility and help customers who have faith in their products.

They SHOULD NOT allow young and pompous Acura techs to blame everything on the owners of their cars - period.

Acurazine is about enjoying Acura cars as well as about helping owners with issues - and it's of no help to jump in and blame the owner or suggest that they are doing themselves a disservice by not going to the dealer and paying 3x as much for service as you'd pay elsewhere. I don't care about your certifications - there are helpful people on this board who know as much or more about these cars as you do, like Kris (fsttyms1) or Rob (Pure Adrenaline) - sometimes, the intimate experience of long-term ownership can teach you more than any textbook ever could.

Thanks for listening.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

okay enough of the sarcasm about Honda/Acura products will last forever and let's get to the real issue...how the heck do you change out the wheel bearing...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Racer

I have great respect for Honda/Acura as a company. I admire their dedication to environmentally-friendly practices and keep close tabs on their "Safety For Everyone" developments. My TL had numerous issues while it was under warranty, but since warranty has been over the issues have stopped. I've came to the conclusion that the car wasn't the problem, inept dealers and their likewise inept Acura techs were the problem. The dash on my TL warped (at 30k miles and the service advisor blamed it on me - hey you've all got that in common!) but they replaced it anyway, and didn't install it correctly. The top of the dash was completely loose and would flop around and the service advisor told me this was a "normal" trait. I showed him other TL's on the lot, none of which did this, and he agreed to fix it. When I picked it back up, his fix was stuffing a used shop towel down between my upper dash and windshield. I flipped out on the dealer and had a district rep meet me there and after that visit, they took care of my problems. Then I filed a complaint with the BBB against Nalley Acura in Atlanta, Georgia.

But I digress - the TL is my 7th Honda product. I've had 3 new Accords in 4 years. I love these cars, they're low maintenance and they are relentlessly reliable and I enjoy the features and the driving experience. But the service for both Honda and Acura is seriously lacking. I am not paying the high prices dealers demand for a lot of fluff, especially when the service experience sucks so bad. If it were Lexus, perhaps... but not this Acura shit.

I like my TL and my 05 Accord V6, and I liked my many Accords before this. But I never liked the dealers and I never will.

And, for the record, Honda and Acura designs are overwhelmingly well thought out and well engineered. But all companies make their mistakes, and they should take responsibility and help customers who have faith in their products.

They SHOULD NOT allow young and pompous Acura techs to blame everything on the owners of their cars - period.

Acurazine is about enjoying Acura cars as well as about helping owners with issues - and it's of no help to jump in and blame the owner or suggest that they are doing themselves a disservice by not going to the dealer and paying 3x as much for service as you'd pay elsewhere. I don't care about your certifications - there are helpful people on this board who know as much or more about these cars as you do, like Kris (fsttyms1) or Rob (Pure Adrenaline) - sometimes, the intimate experience of long-term ownership can teach you more than any textbook ever could.

Thanks for listening.

Ok so we blame everything on the dealer/tech? I think that's outrageous.

I do believe fsttyms1 is very knowledgable of the cars, he actually pm'd me and i pm'd him back asking him if he was in the auto business, and he replied "no". I was pretty suprised, thinking right off that bat by some of his comments he would have been linked to the auto business. I knew, or at least hoped, he wasnt a tech but figured he may have been linked somehow.

I do not know who, Pure adrenaline is, i've read some of the comments he mentioned and alot was pretty much false or misguided information. Some things he seemed to have an idea of, most he had no clue. Anyway.

However, i do not think either one of these people can hack it even as an oil change/lube techs at my shop. No offense.

Some people have to understand the position of a dealer technician which of who are much more qualified to work on specific model cars than any other sideshop or repair shop tech.

I feel as though alot, if not MOST people on this message board repent the dealer techs because of the PRICES. It's not because dealer techs cannot fix cars. I know for a fact. 9/10 cars we do actually fix right. The cars the we do not fix right, 9.99 sideshop couldnt fix if they're life depended on it. Some stuff we just cannot duplicate, some things we look over, some things we think is fixed but comes back to the customer a couple days later. We make mistakes.

If we ever make a mistake, customers are usually not charged for the mistake a tech made.

You really have NO IDEA, how many cars we get in our shop with timing belts 1-2 teeth off of the cam, bolts loose, parts MISSING! All from people who take their car to other shops who do not work on our cars everyday. It's unbelievable.

So the customer, in the long wrong, ends up paying double the price he/she originally expected just to have the car fixed right.

You people really have no idea what it's like to have my job, and your talking so negative about it. I'd like to know what jobs you all have so i can call and bitch at every little thing until im a nuisence. That's how you guys sound to us sometimes, but you know what, if we make a mistake, we fix it.

If it's not our mistake, then we'll tell the customer, LOOK YOU DID THIS AND THAT WRONG, now its YOUR TURN to pay for your mistake.

Alot of customers do not like that answer which is why dealerships get a bad wrap especially from ALOT of people on this message board.

I think you need to ease up and assess the situation before you all go saying THE DEALERSHIP SUCKS, SCREW THEM ACURA TECHS, I'll NEVER GO THERE AGAIN! BLAH BLAH BLAH...in the long wrong, that person will need his dealership before they need HIM!

period.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:39 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I'm not blaming Acura's faulty designs on any of Acura's technicians. I'm also not saying an Acura tech can't fix an Acura vehicle - I'm just not paying the prices Acura dealers want. They are full of it - plain and simple.

About being a nuisance, though - how do you think you come across when you join here and, in every thread you participate in, you blame the owners for all their problems. You don't want to help anyone, you want to generate dealers business.. fine - do that. But the problems I and many others on here have with dealers are that they are usually dishonest and shady.

This is old, though. In the end, more and more people will turn away from dealerships as they have experiences like I have had. And, you're wrong about needing a dealership. If my transmission needs replacement again, it will be under warranty through Honda. If it needs anything other than that, I'll seek it from independent shops.

And again, Kris's TL is proof - owners who do things themselves do not harm their cars. If he blows his up tomorrow, 200k miles since new, he got his money's worth. We don't NEED the dealership.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Christ you guys, if you cant stop this arguing between each other im going to have to close another thread up. Consider this the last warning

okay enough of the sarcasm about Honda/Acura products will last forever and let's get to the real issue...how the heck do you change out the wheel bearing...
Agreed. Lets get back on topic!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

loud_whispers gets paid by American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Its a good company to work for, good benefits and salary for techs.
He is brain-washed like many other corporate employees....
*** team-player, pro-active, POSITIVE, moraly and ethically flexible ****
Honda is lucky to have you on their pay-roll....
Old 01-01-2006, 07:54 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ford tryed to charge us with a $580 dollar bill when the Explorer was under warrenty. My father in law was a service manager at Ford for years he said it was covered. Every garage is out to make money. We should be informed of what is covered on our cars and what is not. I took the warrenty papers out of the Explorer and told the service manage to come sit with me and we would read all 9 long pages word for word. He got the message and didn't charge me since the repairs were under warrenty. It's all in how you handle the situation, and I thought I handled that one well. I havn't been and will not go back to that Ford garage ever again. Garages are out to make $$$$. Never forget that, but good customer service is a must if they want to do well. Needless to say I am owning my last Ford Product=Piece of junk! compared to the Acura. Time to get off this subject.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing gone at 45000 Miles