Wheel Alignment specs and details after installing the Comptech springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wheel Alignment specs and details after installing the Comptech springs

I just had my alignment done after installing Comptech Springs. The following are the details:
Before
Camber Caster Toe Tire
-1.4 2.4 -5.3 L/F 0.4 2.0 -0.29 R/F
-1.8 .20 L/R
-0.4 -0.10 R/R
Specified Range
-1.0 to 1.0 for L/R front camber
-1.0 to 0.0 for L/R rear camber
1.8 to 3.8 for L/Rfront caster
-0.08 to 0.08 for L/R front toe
0.00 to 0.16 for L/R rear toe

As you can see the Toe was way off. The rear Cambers are not adjustable, and since I am only a little off, I'll wait to get a camber kit.

------------------
2000TL, Nighthawk Black Pearl, Comptech springs and sways, 35% tint, rear spoiler, Kicker Amp/SUB added to Bose system, Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels
Old 04-24-2001, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Question

do you have to get an alignment done when you change the springs? camber kit?? what else? is it all worth it?
Old 04-24-2001, 01:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by veloce:
do you have to get an alignment done when you change the springs? camber kit?? what else? is it all worth it?
It's worth it. You do need to get an alignment done (you should drive it about a week to let the springs settle). There should be no need for a camber kit; I will check my tires occasionally to make sure there evenly wearing down. Alignments are cheap, most tire stores will do these with 6 month to 1 year warranties on the alignment.
The car looks so much better and I also added sway bars at the same time. The car almost handles like my BMW 3 series; it's great!

Old 04-24-2001, 04:53 PM
Instructor

BlackTL2K, did you do the alignment immediately after putting on the springs? Looks like only the camber on the left side of you car is off. Is the left slightly lower than the right? I just had my Comptech springs put in last weekend and I'll probably get the alignment done in a week or so. The springs really feel great.

------------------
2000 Acura 3.2 TL (Nav) Nighthawk Black Pearl
Old 04-24-2001, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

I'm almost done changing the springs on my CL-S and with the front shock/spring assembly off right now, I can just grab and move the toe setting to whatever angle I want. So I'd say an alignment is mandatory after new springs are in.

Also, I've noticed that the new springs in the rear are so compressed, that they don't fully extend to the top of the rear shock assembly *when the rear is completely lifted off the ground*. When the car is lowered from the jack, there's a chance that the top of the spring may not be centered properly in the top part of the shock/spring assembly. That means it could catch on the edge of assembly, which would make that side of the car slightly higher (along with any resulting alignment issues). After seeing this, I'm going to take a quick look at the top of the rear springs with a flashlight to verify things are centered anytime the rear has been completely lifted off the ground. The fronts won't experience this issue since they're fully extended in the assembly. BTW, the springs I'm using are the H&R OE's.
Old 04-24-2001, 05:46 PM
Racer

Originally posted by eujinc:
BlackTL2K, did you do the alignment immediately after putting on the springs? Looks like only the camber on the left side of you car is off. Is the left slightly lower than the right? I just had my Comptech springs put in last weekend and I'll probably get the alignment done in a week or so. The springs really feel great.

I drove the car for just under a week before I brought the car in. The difference in the rear is very negligible; there is no visual difference. I'll probably take the car back in a few months to have it checked since the alignment came with a 6 month guarantee.

Old 04-24-2001, 10:25 PM
Jens

Based on what I have seen with Comptech springs there is a minor amount of settling however this could be attributed to the bushings flexing as much to the springs settling.It is very important that you get the car aligned as the front toe in particular is way out of spec.The rear camber typically either falls in the acceptable range or is out a few tenths of a degree,this is acceptable and should not cause any real tire wear.I do recommend to our customers that they do keep an eye on tire wear make certain the tires are inflated properly.Jens
Old 04-24-2001, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Talking

I bet your car are pulling (drifting) towards the right side.

Originally posted by BlackTL2K:
I just had my alignment done after installing Comptech Springs. The following are the details:
Before
Camber Caster Toe Tire
-1.4 2.4 -5.3 L/F 0.4 2.0 -0.29 R/F
-1.8 .20 L/R
-0.4 -0.10 R/R
Specified Range
-1.0 to 1.0 for L/R front camber
-1.0 to 0.0 for L/R rear camber
1.8 to 3.8 for L/Rfront caster
-0.08 to 0.08 for L/R front toe
0.00 to 0.16 for L/R rear toe

As you can see the Toe was way off. The rear Cambers are not adjustable, and since I am only a little off, I'll wait to get a camber kit.

------------------
1996 Acura 2.5TL white
*Alpine 6 disk CD changer
*Factory wood kit
*Factory burlwood shift knob
*HKS power flow