What's the use of "systems"

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What's the use of "systems"

Go ahead and get mad at me, but i do not understand why people want their heartbeats to be shaken by the "music" and their dashboards vibrating to the point of falling off. Oh wait, I understand. It's so you can have a rear seat massager huh? anyway, everyone that I know who has that stuff just wants other people to look at them as they drive by. Everyone who hears them seems to sneer and frown as they pass. I mean sometimes the bass is so loud that you can't even hear the music anymore. Please explain why you want a "system."

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 01-23-2001, 08:37 PM
Pro

Cool

i like my bass...a lot...and i like feeling it...not to the point where i can't hear the music though...and sometimes we crank the stereo and have a dance party with the ladies at the lakes or something...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion MVA6491 (3), Valentine 1, Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk, Underdash and Underbody Neons
No nav yet but soon!!!
Old 01-23-2001, 08:46 PM

Lightbulb

Hey Bob,

Don't you remember being young and stupid? I do!

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.
Comptech axle-back exhaust.
225/55ZR-16 RE730s on OEM alloys.
205/55QR-16 Alpins on steel wheels w/covers (winter).

Pictures
Old 01-23-2001, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Oh now you did it....you're gonna get Ron mad...

Let's get ready to rrruuuummmbbbllle.....
Old 01-23-2001, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oh REALLY? Young and stupid, huh? I see how it is, now you hurt my feelings. Maybe I'm young and stupid (if 26 is young), but hey, I like my toyzzzzz !!!! And it's GREAT for business!
Old 01-23-2001, 10:05 PM
Racer

Cool

one word ......BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......thas what systems are for man, i just got a 500 watt amp and two 12lves, i know i may b paying for this when i am like 65 or so........What, What, you say, speak up, yeah your right next to me, but i can't hear"
Old 01-23-2001, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

why do you assume all 'systems' are for loudness?
wanna hear my setup? its crystal clear sound at all levels. thats why i have a 'system'

kids who have subs with the gains adjusted all the way up is not my thing

and yes, i am mad at you and consider you a small man for making this 'post'
Old 01-23-2001, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I'm over loud music... I'm happy with the stock system...could use a little more bass and a little mote clarity in the highs, but I'm happy..Although I do have a nice Pioneer system waiting to install in the Miata..That car is SCREAMING for a system, it sux! I'm upgrading with new head unit,changer, tweeters, new 6x8 midranges, a crossover, amp, and a small sub...just enough noise to let us feel like we dancing when we pull over..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 01-23-2001, 10:24 PM

umm.. i'm only 17.. i like music., don't you remember the days you were in highschool? Music, Girls, <small><small><small><small>President Woodrow Wilson</small></small></small></small>

<small><small><small>(sorry i had to do that.. you sound just like my dad.. No offense)</small></small></small>

17.. and sorta Loving it.. damn i gotta go do my Homework
Old 01-23-2001, 10:35 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I am a basement DJ, and I have a little bedroom studio. The space and the isolation of your car is actually pretty good. As a DJ, I must say that I LOVE the bass, but I won't crank up the volume on the street three in the morning.

You will have less distortion with a system compared to the stock unit.

You can simply get two 12" and amp them. But the result...

As people want a faster car, better handling...etc. There are people who want a bit more bass, and a cleaner sound.

Old 01-24-2001, 12:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been so long since I played around with car audio equipment. Nowadays I spend my money on ultimate home theatre equipment. You want bass, get the BP3000TL, 18" sub w/1000 Watt RMS Amp!! Gotta love those DefTechs!!
Old 01-24-2001, 01:26 AM
Drifting

It depends on the type of music you listen to. I myself am a true hip-hop junkie and I love the bass to be turned up high because it flows really good with the beat. The bass shouldn't be turned up so high that you cannot hear the music, but when you get a really nice beat going and you got that shit poundin through some 12s it sounds so nice and that is what a system is all about.

I guess it is just a matter of personal preference. And the age thing is meaningless. I am probably one of the younger people here, but if I live to be 80 years old I will still be bumpin my shit.

------------------
"Man thinks that, they own things And man sits high upon thrones
When you die tell me what the fvck you own
When your skin, flesh, and bones find a permanent home
As food for worms or fossils trapped in stone."
Old 01-24-2001, 02:00 AM
Advanced

Hay~ it is not everyone with a "system" playing music that loud OK? we puts system is our car for clearity sound. Not only for bass. And if you hear the system with bass and no music that means that their system sucks. I have good system in my car and I loved it.

------------------
2000TL non-navi black w/WWkits/ WW flash mount wings/Ground control coil overs/$10,000 stero systems/racing heart 18" T5/momo milleuium sterring wheels/indiglo signs/razo shift nob/Comptech sway bar/AEM CAI/AEM pullys/more comming soon.
Old 01-24-2001, 05:09 AM
Burning Brakes

for clarity, ok, I'll bite. however, my cousin, who happens to be in Diamond Bar, KUMO, got a ls400 with the nackamichi and we were comparing (he ended up liking my car better after driving it). As for age, being 19, I am ashamed at my peers for their irrelevant pursuits for attention.

c'mon, you know people roll down the widnows and drive extra slow just so someone will turn around and look...

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

Old 01-24-2001, 09:35 AM
Racer

I'm a big fan of civility (look it up); Bass-bumpin' slow-riders piss me off. They're disturbing the peace, pure and simple. It's all about showing off, and not a bit of consideration for anyone but themselves.

I'm all for loud music, but it's got to be at the right time and place. When I can't hear my own music in my living room because some b-boy's cruising by my house, it pisses me off. Take it home, close your door, and keep it the hell away from me!

Done venting now...

As far as the TL's system, it sounds to me like it needs tweeters (with a good crossover) - The highs are ragged. But I think it's got sufficient bass. Of course, I listen to rock...

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 01-24-2001, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by mr tl:
why do you assume all 'systems' are for loudness?
wanna hear my setup? its crystal clear sound at all levels. thats why i have a 'system'

kids who have subs with the gains adjusted all the way up is not my thing

and yes, i am mad at you and consider you a small man for making this 'post'
This is why I have an aftermarket "system" as well
Old 01-24-2001, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know how it was to be young with the music jumping.The stock system is fine for me at soon to be age 39. I use to play it loud but as time goes on your ears will suffer this is what they use to tell me. What gets me is cars going by the house with bass & music so loud its vibrating you inside the house. You can here the cars a city block away before they get to your house. I can see Mirical Ear Hearing Aids in their future.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:18 AM
tea elle

test
Old 01-24-2001, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tea elle:
test
Hello.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:30 AM
tea elle

Sorry about the test message.

Anyway, here's how I see it. I spoke to my wife who is a doctor of forensic psychology to get her opinion about people who crank the music beyond the bounds of reason or personal safety.

Yes, young people do want to be noticed by other young people. Young guys are trying to prove something to other guys, and in many cases, they don't even know why they do it.
I believe (and my wife agrees there may be some truth to it) that for many people who have such ridiculously loud music eminating from their cars it's an act of hostility toward everyone else. This gives them some sort of power over a world in which they otherwise have no control. They are choosing to send a very clear message "I'm here, you will notice me, there's nothing you can do about it".

Finally: I'm amazed at so many of the things young people are doing nowadays. Obviously every young generation tries to shock their parents' generation. This was true 100 years ago, too. But, it seems to me that these days there is less regard for what one's future might hold. Body piercing, tatoos and damaging loud music are all things that seem to disregard the fact that life is long and people outgrow many of their youthful values. When I was young I wore bell bottoms, but I didn't permanently sew them to the lower part of my legs! See what I mean?

I'd love to hear what others think about this.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:39 AM
Drifting

For me BOB and BLACK2000, I have a stereo system in my car for a number of reasons.

1.Its a labor of love
I have done most of the work on my car along with my friend who owns a stereo shop and I enjoy working on cars, especially my own. I take pride in my work whether it be advising my clients on tax advise or installing an amplifier in my car. I am sure Ron (Streeteffetz) and many others on this board feel the same way about adding their personalities to their respective cars.

2. i enjoy not just loud, but clear music
I have IMO a great sounding stereo system. While it has the capability of turning your ears to mush (over 1500 watts), i choose to use the power to have a clear sounding system. Most of my music is Rock and Roll and Classic Rock, not BASS as you are so quick to generalize. I feel the same for my home theater. I have Krell components and Martin Logan speakers with over $20,000 invested to make it sound "the way I like". So to disagree with you about yet another item, music and music listening preferences are a personal taste and you should not get pissed at someone who plays their music loud. Bob, I am sure someone in a stock TL is looking at your CL-S rims and feels offended by your modifications

I rarely turn my music up to the point where other people cant hear it. I use it for myself and my passengers. I do not understand why people feel the need to barrate and harrass others on this board and in general about turning up their music. IMO LOUDER IS BETTER!!!

With regards to civility DAVID, I agree with you that you should be polite to others, however doesn't a civilization consist of many different cultures, societies and beliefs, religious or not? I think in order to be civilized, you should stop your little tyrates about what pisses you off about others and start being a civilized human being, if that is within your ability.

Bottom line is that you do what you want to your car, it extends from the 50's and 60's when people took pride in customizing their automobiles as a way to express themselves. Do you also get annoyed by people who have loud exhaust systems and intakes and outrageous paint jobs?

To me this forum represents a place where other TL and CL owners and car enthusiasts in general can get together and share things they have done to their car. The cars people drive are a reflection of them and the mods that people have are because they want to.

Bob and Dave, I do not know you, but from what I gather you have to loosen up a bit and stop being so anal, ancient and archaic.

BTW, I am 25 years old have my Undergratuate degree in Accounting, my Masters in Taxation, and I am starting Law School (Guess where ) while working for the largest private bank in the United States. I think i have just dissproved your generalization about "bass heads". So thats the use of a system in my opinion. Whats the use of annoying posts?

Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

------------------
Only god can stop a Hurricane.

What do we eat...GATOR MEAT!!
Who do we hate...FLORIDA STATE!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Stylin Silver Sled on January 24, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-24-2001, 10:57 AM
Pro

Wow, people get pretty fired up about what seemed to be a reasonable question, but I guess our passions about our cars and music make us react intensely. I think there are definitely two schools of thought, regarding why people put in systems in their cars. I used to own and run a car audio shop and I can tell you that typicall (yes I am using generalizations), the younger crowd wanted louder and cheaper, while the older audiophiles, wanted to improve the quality of the sound from stock. Now, regardless of the age issue, I think those two groups still hod true. Some people want attention, both good and bad, when they bump down the road. Others have clean systems that they truly enjoy, but are more courteous to others.
The use of systems, as Boba asked, is that they personalize the vehicle and show the driver's personal tastes. And taste does change with age. I must admit that Boba is sounding older than his age, but he'll have all his hearing when he gets to later in life. I, on the other hand, had demo systems in many of my cars in the past with 8's, 10's, 12's, 2-5 amps etc... and now am content with the stock system. it needs more clarity, but overall, it works fine for me.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I don't think this was "annoying post". It was a pretty legitimate question. Just my 2 cents

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17-mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs-Axiss MetalMasterPads-Crossdrilled Rotors
-Inspire Tailights-20/30/40 tint

Y2k S2K Honda Roadster
- Mingster Aeroscreen, Smokin Front mesh Grill, Clear Sidemarkers...
Old 01-24-2001, 12:08 PM
Pro

I actually enjoy cranking it up so the person in the car next to me cannot hear on their cell phone.
Old 01-24-2001, 12:11 PM
Drifting

oh yeah, thats fun too.
Originally posted by TLon19s:
I actually enjoy cranking it up so the person in the car next to me cannot hear on their cell phone.

------------------

Old 01-24-2001, 12:47 PM

Love these posts. One of the more interesting I've read.

I'm 37. As for me, I DESPISE that thump, thump, thump gump. When someone pulls up next to my car with that blasting, beat (windows down, of course), I gotta admit, it IS irritating as hell.

But you know what I do? I roll up my windows. I get over it. I drive on.

In other words, although I personally can't stand that hip hop crud, I'll defend to the teeth the other driver's right to play it and play it LOUD. Noise ordinances are for wimps.

To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

------------------
2001 3.2 TL w/Nav
White Diamond Pearl
Alpine CD Changer
15 Year Financing at 22%
Old 01-24-2001, 03:17 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

Stereo's are the most customizable aspect of the average car. That is why so many people are drawn to change them. I agree that many people go overboard with the bass, hell I'm one of them. To me the most important thing is to be respectful of others. I always turn it down at a stop light and never blast it in the morning, late at night, or while crusing through neighborhoods. And there is a reason that many people with systems roll down their windows....it makes the bass sound a lot better on the inside of the car, so don't think that everybody does this for attention. Peace.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:34 PM
Racer

Observation: when I am in my brother's thumping Integra, it's really cool and fun... and it's fun to see people react to you.

But when I am not in the car, I despise the THUMP THUMP THUMP of the car behind me.

Interesting, no?

I've never ever ever heard anyone say "whoa that car's stereo is really loud! Cool!"

------------------

2000 Navi TL White Diamond Pearl
(they're magically delicious)
Old 01-24-2001, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

stylin sled, why would someone be annoyed by my rims. they're stock. not like they are chrome and reflect the sun back into people's eyes. back in the 60's or whatever when i wasn't around, I don't think that those round looking things spit fire from their tails and ignited the car in back of them. an exaggeration of course, but the offending of people IS a big deal and it it not a freedom issue. It's being an A$$ issue. Congrats on being a success in life. I can only hope to be a success one day, but high achievers shouldn't need to encroach on other people's space. Maybe I am being anal, but the world is messed up enough as it is without children pumping obscenities into the air around them. I could go on, but i know it's not fun to hear.

tea elle, that's some good stuff. does your wife really work on cases life Scully would?

Yu888, speaking of loud, funny story with the s2000 being so loud. we were in a quiet neighborhood in the middle of the night and my friend was driving. he tried to keep the revs down but stalled instead and slammed his arm into the air horn. now that was funny.

------------------

Old 01-25-2001, 12:35 AM
Drifting

It is all a matter of personal preference. Some people like more bass, some like more clarity, some just like the stock system, while others don't even care. You are not going to convince someone who likes one thing that they should like another.

------------------
"Man thinks that, they own things And man sits high upon thrones
When you die tell me what the fvck you own
When your skin, flesh, and bones find a permanent home
As food for worms or fossils trapped in stone."
Old 01-25-2001, 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Cool

There are also different types of cabinets that the sub-bass speakers can be mounted in. Sealed, port, and bandpass cabinets are what exist in the world of subwoofers. Sealed being the least efficient, yet most precise. Ported boxes, i.e. w/ a whole in the rear or side of the cabinet create a deeper sounding or more thumpy feeling, yet decrease the clarity of the music, but adding more sub-sonic frequency. Finally, there is bandpass. these cabinets are rear loaded, and are meant for only sub-sonic thump. These will shake your car till it breaks, will withstand hundreds of watts, yet have a low level of 'pure' bass. Each have their own reason and implication for the type of music that one listens to, and also the space available. I myself listen to trance/house/dnb. Hence, i have dual 15'z in a ported enclosure. They are very crisp, very clean, and very powerful. I can shake the cars next to me...i can be very far from my car and still hear the bass line...but i never listen to it to the point of not being able to hear myself speak. All depends on what you want.
Old 01-25-2001, 04:13 PM
Racer

There's really no use trying to respond to SSS in any comprehesive way. I'll just restate my point: Uncivil behavior makes me angry. I consider it uncivil to inflict your music on others, or to otherwise impinge on their personal domains with noise or anything else.

This has nothing to do with my taste regarding modding. That's esthetics. I'm talking morality.

Multiculturalism doesn't justify boorish behavior. Sorry.

I don't think it's uncivil to express one's opinions, but it is uncivil to attack someone with whom you disagree.

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 01-25-2001, 04:51 PM
Pro

I agree that pumping the music so loud that the driver beside you can't hear their own stereo is too much. However i love the sound of bass in cars, not the window shattering type, but the that nice thump! My old RX-7 had three amps, crossover, two 10's (JL's), 5" mids and tweeters. It was perfect, loud from the inside, but pleasant from the outside. The driver next to me could hear it, but you would have to turn your radio down and roll down the windows.

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit...
Quiets ride
Old 01-25-2001, 11:42 PM
Racer

some people, like myself, have a great appreciation for the art of sound systems. some prefer hard-pounding bass while others prefer clarity and perfection. with the same car and same equipment, people can do some many different things with their cars and they'll sound completely different. some have the money to go all out and get the best stuff while others are limited with cash but they make better sounding systems.
of course it's a competition with all the other hooked up cars out there. that's what makes it fun.
Old 01-27-2001, 01:03 AM
Drifting

Black2000, after taking many debate classes in both high school and college AND winning more than 88% of them, The only response I can give is...BITE ME ASSBAG
I love pandering to the idea that you think I am incapable!

Question to you dave, do you think that I am uncivil?

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Stylin Silver Sled on January 27, 2001 @ ]</font>