What's up with D4

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up with D4

I've noticed in several different posts making note that they normally travel in D4. My question is why D4, why not D5? Is there a particular reason one would want to keep it in D4?
Old 12-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I heard something a while back...about keeping RPM range in the 2s while driving...
if u do that..u won't get the pause and go lag...with d5...
iv' noticed that with d5 when rpm needle pointing below 2..

when i drive with d4...on most drives..it's on 2s...and ther'es no lag whatsoever

just try it..and see if there's a difference...i did...so i'm driving normally on d4 on local....shift to d5 on freeway

city
Old 12-19-2001, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I'll put it to the test to see if I notice a difference
Old 12-19-2001, 05:12 PM
Instructor

It is probably personal preference. The 50 mph point is usually when the transmission shifts to D5. That depends on the load on the transmission. If you are accelerating it won't shift until the load drops. If you are not going to go much above 50 mph, you can avoid up and down shifts by keeping the selector in D4. From an acceleration point of view, keeping the RPM above 2000 allows acceleration without a downshift from D5 to D4. I personally base my selection of the "D" based on the speed I intend to travel. Around town it is mostly in D3. On roads where the speed limit is 45mph or so, I use D4. I only go to D5 on the four lane highways where the speed limit is above 60 mph and most cars are traveling at 70 mph. That just me. You can put it into D5 and forget it. To me that is not fun and does not fully exploit the optimum use of the engine and transmission. You might as well have a Ford V8 slushomatic.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

that's right

When I first bought my maxima in 95...dealer said don't use overdrive until 55mph or above...i guess same goes for our D5 as well. same meaning..

city
Old 12-19-2001, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High MPG folks -- leave in D5...

Originally posted by OldGuy
It is probably personal preference. The 50 mph point is usually when the transmission shifts to D5. That depends on the load on the transmission. If you are accelerating it won't shift until the load drops. If you are not going to go much above 50 mph, you can avoid up and down shifts by keeping the selector in D4. From an acceleration point of view, keeping the RPM above 2000 allows acceleration without a downshift from D5 to D4. I personally base my selection of the "D" based on the speed I intend to travel. Around town it is mostly in D3. On roads where the speed limit is 45mph or so, I use D4. I only go to D5 on the four lane highways where the speed limit is above 60 mph and most cars are traveling at 70 mph. That just me. You can put it into D5 and forget it. To me that is not fun and does not fully exploit the optimum use of the engine and transmission. You might as well have a Ford V8 slushomatic.
Yea, sounds about right...

A comment -- the people who want to get every single MPG out of a tank should probably just leave the sucker in D5 and wait for the lazy shifts to keep the car in the higher gear longer...
Old 12-19-2001, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

but will probably end up hurting the tranny

city
Old 12-19-2001, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Re: High MPG folks -- leave in D5...

Originally posted by EricL

Yea, sounds about right...

A comment -- the people who want to get every single MPG out of a tank should probably just leave the sucker in D5 and wait for the lazy shifts to keep the car in the higher gear longer...
This brings a point to mind. This past weekend (I tend to use SS a lot) the wife said "Doesn't it use more gas when you do that?" I responded by saying "so what, it's not as much fun"
Old 12-19-2001, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Right on. I didn't buy it for gas mileage although I am impressed with the pure highway mileage. Some of my friends can't understand why I bought a car that burns premium gas. They don't get it.
Old 12-20-2001, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
D5, what's that!?

Seriously, I use SS 90% of the time I drive (that's why I bought the car!)

The other 10% is in D4. D5 is about useless for me, other than an extended highway cruise of many miles..... but that's just me.

And for the post about using D4 hurting the trans., NO.

jim
Old 12-20-2001, 09:48 PM
Racer

Put it in D5 means, you have a quicker reaction of the car whenever you feel like using the SS mode, just a clap to the left and there it is. Sometimes, I need to pass by someone and in D5, I just switch it to the left and downshift.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Davidas
Put it in D5 means, you have a quicker reaction of the car whenever you feel like using the SS mode, just a clap to the left and there it is. Sometimes, I need to pass by someone and in D5, I just switch it to the left and downshift.
That's what I do! Slap to the left, downshift, downshift, and step on it!

Neither D4 nor D5 will ruin your transmission! They're both usable for normal driving, although D5 will give you better mileage (and less power) above 50 mph.