what's the best over-the-counter wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's the best over-the-counter wax?

Hey guys!
I need help.
What's the best wax I can get from car parts store (pep boys, straus auto)?

I've heard about Zaino, Zymbol(?) and many other mail-order wax products, and lots of you spoke very highly of thier quality.

Maybe I'm just too lazy... but I don't have time and money for 5-stage-wax-products. Can you guys recommend me a good OTC wax which is readily available?

How is McGwire wax?

Thank you!
Old 07-19-2001, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
You're probably going to get a hundred different opinions on this, so here's mine:

I like Zymol cleaner wax, but it's a bit hard to buff off without leaving streaks. Belive it or not, I think Turtle Wax Emerald Series is my favorite all-around. It goes on easily, buffs nicely, shines like a charm, and seems to provide a good layer of protection.

I used to like Autofom, but I haven't seen it in years...
Old 07-19-2001, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: what's the best over-the-counter wax?

Originally posted by joseph1976
Hey guys!
I need help.
What's the best wax I can get from car parts store (pep boys, straus auto)?

I've heard about Zaino, Zymbol(?) and many other mail-order wax products, and lots of you spoke very highly of thier quality.

Maybe I'm just too lazy... but I don't have time and money for 5-stage-wax-products. Can you guys recommend me a good OTC wax which is readily available?

How is McGwire wax?

Thank you!
Personally I use the Mother's wax system. It's very similar to Zaino as it has different "phazes" that you can do, plus you can just buy it in your auto part store!! I did my car and when we compared it to a couple of my friends who all did Zaino... it looked (and felt) just as good!!
Old 07-19-2001, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Lightbulb

I think it is worth the time and money to get Zaino products. My friend turned me on to them and they work just great. I have achieved such a deep polish on my 02 ABP TL-S it almost looks black! Take the time to use the claybar as well, it will get every little speck of dirt off your ride. I know you asked for store bought products, but your car deserves the best.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:26 PM
Pro

Meguiar's is a very good product.
Currently I'm using the Mother's 3 phase system: The Cleaner, followed by Sealer/Glaze and then the Carnauba Wax and I'm happy with the results--although the selaer/glaze produces a lot of chalky, white dust.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

I used Meguiar's before I started with Zaino. It was pretty good.

Beware of Zaino. It is habit forming !!!

:p
Old 07-19-2001, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Iceman
Believe it or not, I think Turtle Wax Emerald Series is my favorite all-around. It goes on easily, buffs nicely, shines like a charm, and seems to provide a good layer of protection.
Yeah, right now I'm using the Turtle Wax stuff. Its nice and cheap and works pretty well. I've contemplated going with Zaino but its mail order and pretty expensive. Plus it requires multiple coats and a lot of work. Having a SSM car just about any wax will make it look nice. With a darker colored car you might want to invest in Zaino to get rid of swirl marks etc.
Old 07-19-2001, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Question re: white dust

Originally posted by LegendCpeGS
Meguiar's is a very good product.
Currently I'm using the Mother's 3 phase system: The Cleaner, followed by Sealer/Glaze and then the Carnauba Wax and I'm happy with the results--although the selaer/glaze produces a lot of chalky, white dust.

Really? I don't have this problem at all. It goes on and comes off nice and easy. The Carnuba wax is even easier. Goes on and off like warm butter. Maybe you're using too much when you put on the Sealer/Glaze ??
Old 07-19-2001, 03:47 PM
Pro

Re: re: white dust

Originally posted by juniorbean

Really? I don't have this problem at all. It goes on and comes off nice and easy. The Carnuba wax is even easier. Goes on and off like warm butter. Maybe you're using too much when you put on the Sealer/Glaze ??
Sorry, my bad. It's the 1st step (the cleaner/surface prepper, forgot the actual name) that produces the excess chalky dust, not the sealer/glaze, now that I think about it.
Old 07-19-2001, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Before: Turtle
Now: Meguiar's.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:18 PM
Pro

Before: Everything under the sun.

Now: ZAINO! I'm hooked, I can't stop using it, its amazing, incredible, I love the stuff, take a hit, you'll be hooked for life :-)
Old 07-20-2001, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Xorg
Before: Everything under the sun.

Now: ZAINO! I'm hooked, I can't stop using it, its amazing, incredible, I love the stuff, take a hit, you'll be hooked for life :-)
What were you using before Zaino?