What VAFC do i get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004 | 03:03 PM
Advanced

What VAFC do i get?

im confused....there's 2 VAFC's out now....buyt which one do i get that will work for my 2002 TL-S? wil the 1st veriosn APEXi Vafc worK?
Old 01-12-2004 | 06:52 PM
Advanced

Re: What VAFC do i get?

Originally posted by armanixsouljah
im confused....there's 2 VAFC's out now....buyt which one do i get that will work for my 2002 TL-S? wil the 1st veriosn APEXi Vafc worK?
anyone?
Old 01-12-2004 | 07:03 PM
Banned

what is a VAFC?
Old 01-12-2004 | 07:23 PM
Racer

V-AFC is an electronic controller for all V-tech motors. It controls vtec engagement points, your air-fuel ratio/mixture and other settings. I believe the 1st version of the VAFC will work on our cars because it lists the applications as universal to all vtec motors. I am planning to perform this modification to my car in the near future. The 2nd version is just all black with a new display as opposed to the silver and blue display in the previous generation. It is also easier to program and allows more settings to be saved. I will post my experience with the VAFC as soon as I get it tuned.
Old 01-12-2004 | 08:06 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

What type of module, how much does it $$, and how do you mount it(someone mounted in the sunglass holder after much modding). It seems as though we are limited by interior space and aesthetics. Is it some thing you need to observe (like a tach), or a set it and forget it?
Sorry for the questions, but it sounds as though this is a great mod for upping hp without actually tearing up the engine.
Old 01-12-2004 | 08:29 PM
Racer

With regards to the price, it range from $150-$300 for the 1st version depending on where you buy it from. Check the www.honda-tech.com classifieds or ebay for the best deals. The 2nd versions range from $300-$400. Mounting brackets are available from Apex'i which are attatched to the dash and holds the controller. It is not really something you have to keep an eye on unless you are tuning it. Just make sure during tuning that there are no anomilies (not sure how you spell that) in your air-fuel mixture and that everything is running as desired. I suggest getting it professionally tuned. I myself am going to work closely with a moderator from honda-tech.com who has a lot of experience in this area. I am going to install my VAFC and tune it on the dyno. I will take vids of the process and post it up as soon as everything is done. After tuning, you shouldn't have to keep an eye on it unless your messing around with the settings some more. Its a set and forget thing after the tune.
Old 01-13-2004 | 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

you can keep it in the glovebox. the sunglass holder option is great but it'll take some work. keep it out of sight and away from prying eyes.
Old 01-13-2004 | 02:49 PM
Advanced

what should i set the vtec at? cuz i notcied if i ss shift in 2nd i tend to fall out of VTEC. which sux cuz i lose power. i was thinking moving it down to around 4500-4750?
Old 01-13-2004 | 04:25 PM
Racer

You don't really want to go too low. It's not too good to stay in Vtec for a prolonged period of time. Although it increases power dramatically to keep your engine in vtec during shifts, it may cause too much stress on the engine (just a theory I had after long discussion with honda-tech members). I say set it around 4800 so when you shift, you come out of vtec but then go right into it. If I'm not mistaken, 2nd would drop to around 4000-4300 RPMS and you would get into vtec in no time. Also, after some research, I dont think the 1st version of the VAFC will be compatible on our cars (2nd gen TL). The technology of our cars have advanced since the time the 1st version VAFC has been released. What the 1st version was compatible with then, it may not be compatible with the technology in our cars today. Just a thought. Some guy I talked to with a 7th gen civic (2001+) said only the VAFC 2 is compatible with his car adn the 1st version isn't so I think it all deals with the technology of our cars today. And our cars have a vtec which only opens our intake valves (SOHC). The other cars which the 1st VAFC were used for opened up both intake and exhaust valves (DOHC). Just to be on the safe side, get the 2nd version seeing as how it may be more compatible with our cars. Also, IMHO, I think it looks nicer and so much simpler to tune. Also its more compact. Just my .02 cents though. I'm still researching this thing and sharing some information I found out. By the way, ebay has a great price on brand new VAFC2. $300 shipped within the US. Sorry, I'm still a newb so I dont know how to post links yet. Just search for VAFC2 on ebay. I'll post when I find out more information on this thing.
Old 01-13-2004 | 05:02 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Thanks for the input. It sounds like a glovebox mount and pro tune are in order.
As for the moderator at hondatech.com, would it be worthwhile to find a local import perf shop to set and dyno?
Thanks,
Old 01-13-2004 | 05:06 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

One more question JimmyTLS, or anyone. I don't have a Header and exhaust setup yet. What would the best order be to install, the H E then VAFC, or vice versa. I know the prices are drastically different, I was thinking in terms of having to retune if did VAFC first.
Old 01-13-2004 | 06:15 PM
Racer

I say it is worthwhile to get a local performance shop to tune it. Just make sure you are there during the whole process as this is YOUR car and you want it to run the way you want it to. I say it is worthwhile because there aren't many performance mods we can do to our cars and this is one of the few to bring the true potential out of your car. I suggest finding a professional or experienced tuner and work closely with him. Also, you are exactly right, get the headers and exhaust first. This will save you the second trip to the dyno and the retune. Also, if you are satisfied with the power you get after adding those bolt-ons, you may not even feel the need for a VAFC. Many Acura TL enthusiasts are quite happy with the power they receive after the bolt ons. Its all up to your preference. But Intake, Headers, and Exhaust should be the first on your list.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Intake and headers first, maybe pullies, then VAFC. It is a definite to have it tuned on a dyno. BTW, it does not work with the Comptech SC. The kit has its own ESM I learned. There are some really awesome things being tried on the CL board with the Greddy e-manage.

e-manage
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:20 PM
boo

Ive had the VAFC for both my civic and integra (both 1st gen model). The Apexi units work really great on the B-series DOHC motors. Go ahead and do all the boltons to your car first and lastly tune the VAFC. All your mods will work in conjuction with the VAFC. Its recommended to tune on the dyno. If you dont know what you're doing you can potentially hurt the performance of the car and possibly ruining your engine.

I have gained over 5-12hp in tuning this unit on both my old cars. But the sad fact is the VAFC is not so great on the J-Series motors as many reported on V6performance and Carboy (local shop in town). This is why I havent done the VAFC on the TL at all.
Old 01-22-2004 | 02:03 PM
Drifting

E*ay has the V-AFC for $245 is that too good to be true is the normal going price? I'm reluctant because it's seems so low.
Old 01-22-2004 | 02:38 PM
Banned

my friend is selling his for very cheap.

maybe thats him on ebay lol. hes from delaware thou.
Old 01-22-2004 | 03:02 PM
Advanced

you'll want all of your bolt-ons done first. Pay for some dyno time and let a good tuner get the most out of your TL with the VAFC. Frog makes a harness for us that means we can plug and play the unit to the ecu.