What should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should i do?

Hey, i'm new here. I drive a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6-speed, but my father drives a 2000 Acura 3.2TL. My dad was debating whether to keep his TL with 75,xxx miles or to get a new 07 TL and decided to keep his car. however, he wants to go through every bit of maintenence on the car and put it into like new condition. So i am going to detail the car inside and out myself, but my dad is also giving me $1500-2000 to spend on making his car nice. I just wanted to know what you guys think I should do the car with that amount of money. I am definitely getting him a new headunit for the bose (his isnt reading burned CD's)...probably an alpine 9856 (i have it in my car). was going to drop it and not let it look like a 4x4 anymore. I would appreciate some suggestions on what to get. thanks a lot

Mark
Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're better off not modding the car if you plan on selling it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If you want to make his 00 TL better than new at 75 k miles:

Seafoam the engine, Change the Plugs, Install Racing Brake rotors and Hawk pads from vendor Mr HeelToe.
Check the tires

Change the engine oil/filter, do a trans flush. Install K&N air filter Bosch Icon wiper blades

Thats about 7-800 for everything you need to do.

These cars dont even need timing belt and water pump until 105- so put the leftover money in a savings until needed

Dad made a good decision to keep a known car with less problems than the new cars
Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
If you want to make his 00 TL better than new at 75 k miles:

Seafoam the engine, Change the Plugs, Install Racing Brake rotors and Hawk pads from vendor Mr HeelToe.
Check the tires

Change the engine oil/filter, do a trans flush. Install K&N air filter Bosch Icon wiper blades

Thats about 7-800 for everything you need to do.

These cars dont even need timing belt and water pump until 105- so put the leftover money in a savings until needed

Dad made a good decision to keep a known car with less problems than the new cars
thanks a lot...i'm def going to do all of that. i still have around 1000 left to spend though and my dad wants me to make the car nice looking, any suggestions...maybe 03 taillights? rims...doubtful with the budget... new springs to lower it? its just that my dad likes the ride of the car but not the stance, so i dont want something that will sacrifice the ride quality that much...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

Lowering it will reduce the ride quality, which can be balanced out by better shocks
That will take your grand no prob.

You can remove the acura and TL badges on the tail and replace with Japanese versions which say INSPIRE they are in english www.heeltoeauto.com

When you finish a total clean and wax and buff- it will look new

You can replace the headlight bulbs now before they wear out, and new bulbs are so much more effective it will feel like a new car about 100$ for HID bulb Phillips 4300K

Install a dashmat carpet cover

These cars are so nice they dont ned much
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

AHA!

You can paint the inner fenderwell black so it blends in with the tire

secret lowering trick - use paint
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
5th Gear

Lowering it will reduce the ride quality, which can be balanced out by better shocks
That will take your grand no prob.

You can remove the acura and TL badges on the tail and replace with Japanese versions which say INSPIRE they are in english www.heeltoeauto.com

When you finish a total clean and wax and buff- it will look new

You can replace the headlight bulbs now before they wear out, and new bulbs are so much more effective it will feel like a new car about 100$ for HID bulb Phillips 4300K

Install a dashmat carpet cover

These cars are so nice they dont ned much
I think i'm going to keep the acura badges on it, dad wont want the honda ones. but i'm going to take off the TL one (took off the maxima and SE badges on my car). Decided not to lower his car...but going to get him 6k HID bulbs to replace his current 4300k's...thanks a lot for all the input. going to be doing all this over the weekend most likely. i'll take pics and post them up!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Wrong on the headlights

The higher number is NOT brighter , uses a higher lightwave and throws less actual light on the road.
You will find on this forum that answers are very specific and you shoud buy the parts suggested- not what you think may be better, thats why you came here right? for several years of combined knowledge to guide you?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Team Owner

Here is the thread link to MrHeelToe and the Racing Brake rotors with HAwk pads combo sale

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=1&pp=25
Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Since this car is for your dad, and not you, I would just make sure the car is clean, and up to date on maintenance, and not worry about performance, etc. Things like the tail lights are ok, but a drop, rims, kit, etc would never end up on my fathers car. I am prepared to deal with the consequences/trade offs of those modifications, and unless you know that thats what your father wants, I wouldn't force him to deal with them.

At 75k, I would toss in some redline, or techron fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. After that tank is burned through, I would clean the throttle body, change the plugs, air filter, oil & filter, tranny fluid, coolant, and brake fluid. Check the belts, brakes, cv boots, tires, etc and change whatever is worn out. If those are all good, then call it a day.

After those things, the car should be in tip top shape. A full detail in and out should have it looking in as good a shape as it is mechanically.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
5th Gear

Wrong on the headlights

The higher number is NOT brighter , uses a higher lightwave and throws less actual light on the road.
You will find on this forum that answers are very specific and you shoud buy the parts suggested- not what you think may be better, thats why you came here right? for several years of combined knowledge to guide you?
I know that...i had 4300k's in my maxima HID's for a while. i switched to 6000k because its the best compromise between visibility and looks. the 6000k is a little whiter/bluer and looks nicer i think. and it still has really good visibility so thats why i chose it. I know that the 4300k's have better visibility though (my 3000k fogs have insanely good visibility lol). thank you though
Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Looks nicer to who??????

Are you not inside the vehicle while driving?

Or do you mean the light color on the pavement
Old 03-02-2007, 02:47 PM
5th Gear

Looks nicer to who??????

Are you not inside the vehicle while driving?

Or do you mean the light color on the pavement
it looks nicer on the pavement. and you don't like your lights looking good? a lot of the time people get HID's just for the look, but yes its the color on the pavement. and the 6000ks have really good output anyways, and not THAT different from 4300k's (used to have em on the maxima).