This is what happens when you let someone else change your oil.(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
This is what happens when you let someone else change your oil.(pics)

Well today I decided to change the oil in my TL-S for the first time. I bought the filter, oil, & crush washer for the service.

Everything was going great until I removed the bolt from the oil pan. I thought where is the crush washer that everyone is talking about, I could find it. It was not on the bolt.

All I could see is something was stuck (literally) to the oil pan. I thought was this the washer? Tried to remove it but would not budge, so I thought "great I don't need a crush washer".

This is what I saw:

Old 01-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Racer

So I decided to put the bolt w/ new crush washer just in case. The protruding "part" of the pan started to turn once the bolt was in place & I thought WTF is going on. So I removed the bolt again & guess what?

The frickin old washer was there but was crushed so bad that it was stuck to the oil pan. It got loosen when I tighten the bolt w/ the new washer.

If you look at the pic w/ the new washer & compare that w/ the crushed one, you can see the significant diff. b/w the two. My estimation is that the service place (not dealer) that had been doing the oil changes had not changed the washer for the last 25K miles. This is the last time I let any one else change the oil in my car.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Racer

All I have to say is that if you want something done right & know how to do it, then do it yourself!

I'll never trust these useless pricks at the "lube" center. Another thing, they tightened the oil filter so hard that I couldn't removed it by hand. I used an oil wrench & had to turn the filter so much that it was crushed when I removed it.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
WoW .... that is jacked up .... i never trust lube centers unless its the dealer. you never know what they are pumping out of the barrell, i bet they probably use what ever they can at the cheapest price and call it all penzoil etc.

Do it my self with Mobil 1 Syntec and Mobil filter. Just bought a dozen crush washers from acura last time i was in.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:50 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never changed my own oil, simply because I have no easy way to dump the waste. But...once I reach 60k miles, this is what I'm installing...

Should solve alot of problems with the possibilities of eating up the oil pan threads & hot oil dripping down your arm.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Did you get your crush washer from the Acura/Honda dealer?

The OEM crush washer is aluminum not copper. The copper crush washer may have contributed to the difficulity you had in removing it.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have 70K on my TL and have NEVER changed the crush washer yet and I have zero leaks.
The key is don't overtighten and ALWAYS make sure the washer and mating surfaces are clean and free or sand and grit.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i have 132,000 miles on my original washer, and not a drop leaks.
(i do my own oil changes)

but that thing was WAY OVERTIGHTENED!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:48 AM
is the Mighty Favog

I even go so far as to use a torque wrench at the correct spec when I put it back in with a new washer. I've only had to do it once so far (only 6,300 miles on the car since new in May, 03').
Old 01-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Southern
Did you get your crush washer from the Acura/Honda dealer?

The OEM crush washer is aluminum not copper. The copper crush washer may have contributed to the difficulity you had in removing it.
The washer I got was OEM Honda so it's aluminum, very light. The one that is shown crushed in the pics is aluminum too, it is just that they never changed out the washers w/ the oil changes.

As far as using cooper, it's not a good idea b/c it's just not as "soft" as aluminum.

edgalang, most auto parts store will take back the used oil. I just put mine in milk gallons & bring it to them.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:13 AM
I'd rather be driving:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Pardon my diatribe but here we go…

Lesson learned here.

Folks, if at all possible, try and do these kinds of routine things (oil changes) yourself. Like it’s been said, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

On another thread, I suggested changing the crush washer each time, but this thread just goes to show you that if you don’t torque down the drain plug like a gorilla, you can reuse the washer and it’ll seal with no leaks.

These “iffy lube” places don’t give a rat’s a$$ about your car, that’s why they’ll skimp on a frickin’ 10¢ piece like the crush washer and then jam the drain bolt on so tight to make sure it doesn’t leak. Then one day, they tighten it too much and now you have a stripped thread; a total PITA. Same thing with the oil filter; I just put it on hand tight, it’s never leaked and it doesn’t take too much effort to remove come oil change time. And who knows what oil they’re putting in your car. I do it myself and I know exactly what I’m using every time.

After a quick lube place had rounded the square drive diff. drain plug on my old S-10 truck once because they tightened it so hard, I never took any of my vehicles to those places again.

Thank you for your patience.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

i found out that mine was missing a crush washer when i changed my oil. but i had already changed it. i will install the washer in my next oil change since i dont have any leaks right now.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Poppin them thangs

Originally posted by Tom Blasing
I even go so far as to use a torque wrench at the correct spec when I put it back in with a new washer. I've only had to do it once so far (only 6,300 miles on the car since new in May, 03').
FYI
specs say 29lbs-ft
Old 01-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the original crush washer on all three of my vehicles- the '02 TL-S (2.7 years, 34k miles), the '95 Accord EX (9.3 years, 126k miles), and my '80Z28 (24.3 years, 79k miles). None of them leak so much as a drop from the plug (the '80 does leak from "other" places, though).
I use the German torque method to tighten them ("Gudentheit" ).

Seriously though, it isn't rocket science. I've been turning wrenches for a lot of years, though (as a hobby), so perhaps I have a calibrated arm? Or, perhaps, unlike crappy lube, I give a damn about my vehicle.

Todd
Old 01-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by T Ho

. I've been turning wrenches for a lot of years, though (as a hobby), so perhaps I have a calibrated arm? Or, perhaps, unlike crappy lube, I give a damn about my vehicle.

Todd
YOU TOO
Old 01-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

you think that crush washer was overtightened, this was off of my buddies firebird after going to a iffy lube

i had to drill holes in the filter tool to drive screws into it to add in holding it to the filter to get it off

Old 01-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TLMugen
Same thing with the oil filter; I just put it on hand tight, it’s never leaked and it doesn’t take too much effort to remove come oil change time.
Very well said, the filter should be and tighten 1/2 to 3/4 turn once it touches the flange. This way you can remove it by hand w/o the need for a wrench.

fsttyms1, showed pics of an overtighten oil filter. Now that was one overtighten filter, mine was not as bad. I had to apply alot of force in trying to remove the filter, at one point I thought "am I turning it in the right direction."
Old 01-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
My buddy had his Oil bolt stripped by one of thoe "Jiify" places and they replaced it with a lame rubber stopper and didnt tell him. I dont trust them one bit.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I had the first two oil changes done on my car at Uncle Ed's and Acura of Troy. Last one was at Acura.

The oil filter was on there so tight that my friend and I had to drive nails through it, turn in a little bit, drive another nail into it, turn it, etc, etc, etc.

Took about 15 minutes alone to get the oil filter off. Jackasses.

I've come to a point where I do everything myself these days. I just don't trust people anymore. Oil changes, body work, mods, whatever. At least when I do it, I know what's happening to my car. And if I did mess something up (knock on wood) THEN I'll take it to a trustworthy shop.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Another advantage of DIY oil changes is that you have the opportunity to have a good look around. Inspect the CV boots, look for leaks, check the brake pads, check fluid levels, etc. The quick lube places don't do inspections.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe buddy of mine has a Z28. My other buddy was helping him change his oil. This was the first oil change since coming off the assembly line... It was on there so tight they had to drive a screw driver through it and use its leverage to unscrew it. Of course the filter was all jacked up but it was the original anyway

As soon as my free oil changes at the dealer expire I will most definately be doing my own. Cheaper and I give a damn about my car