at what fuel cost will you give up your TL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roxburydog
id do it if prices got to like $10/g. just cross my fingers and hope they use 91

Can any one honestly say seafoam helped their gas mileage? im gettin about 18MPG (no foam) and tha shyt sucks. will foanin help?
Do it. There is a huge thread about it and explaing what to do. It was worth it for my car anyway.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by PiKap335
I'm spending $600 a month on gas right now and it hurts (paying $4.10-15 a gallon). I've adjusted my driving habits a bit and I'm getting 400+ miles to a tank now...which isn't that bad. My fiance's Subaru LGT does about the same - 4 cyc turbo.

The only reason I really want to sell is I'm fast approaching 110K and I'm afraid of blowing a transmission shortly thereafter. Otherwise the car is stilll in awesome shape and I drive it into the ground (which, I probably will since the resale on it is shit now!!)
That's over 100 miles a day.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not gonna sell my TLS. I just bought it last year and I enjoy it very much. I'm not crazy enough to sell it in less than 1 year. My target is to use it until 200k miles, and decide what to do at that point.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've looked into what it might cost to get a new car that burns less fuel. My figures suggest it always pays to buy something used, and these hybrid cars may never pay.

Based on the premium and service required to own a hybrid beyond 5 years I suspect we're all best service owning the cars we do until something major shifts.

Based on 30mpg highway, and over looking city miles, few cars beyond hybrid get anything better. Most vehicles are between 30-40 which serves almost 0 financial benefit to switching; expect of course for people who drive 30k+/year.

Even if gas doubled in price, you would be hard pressed to find a car that matched the TL in features that burned less gas. Until they launch something else, say a TL that gets 50mpg without hybrid technology I believe we're all better served waiting.

Even on the all electric side, the cost to replacing the batteries in the 5 year currently makes any electric car a feel good experience. It's not cheaper, and its questionably better for the evniornment once you factor in the dirty mining methods.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
english 101

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I was asking how when you said and i quote
how does driving around give you an extra gallon???

I can give you the exact same result running it down to the low fuel light. Longer drives and using more of your tank will give you a much better and more accurate representation of MPG than a short one like your suggesting to half a tank. Hell i can go out drive it for 30 min and come back top it off and give you guys a hey look i got 38mpg, but thats not a good representation of actual MPG that most are looking for (they like to see how many miles per tank people are getting)
the extra gallon comes from topping off and not from driving around.....

secondly, thats what i told him.....he said he fills it sometime in the middle and i told him to fill it when the tank gets empty.....coz filling it half way he can say i got 38 mpg.....
Old 05-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Good bye 03 TL-S

Technically it shouldn't matter, empty or full.....When filling up at the same gas station and same pump usually, it's consistent in the point where the pump stops putting in gas in the same car. So if you fill up your tank till the pump stops, use about a half a tank, then fill it up again and you look at your receipt to see the exact amount of fuel you just put in, then that's how much fuel you used since the last fill up. Look at the tripometer and you can get your mpg. Technically speaking you should be getting better gas mileage the lower your tank gets because of the reduced weight. So I don't see anything wrong with seeing what the fuel mileage is with the first half of the tank. Theres a couple reasons the second half goes by quicker. One is because an analog gauge isn't accurate at showing the exact amount of fuel you have in your tank. The other is the fact that when you're needle shows it's in the red on empty, you really have a couple gallons left, because manufacturers know that theres stupid people/broke people/procrastinators that aren't going to fill her up right away. Today I filled the TL up a little while after the gas light came on. I estimate I drove at least 10 miles after the light came on till I went to the gas station. So even using another 1/2 gallon of fuel, when I filled up, just under 14 gallons went in. Correct me if I'm wrong but that means almost 4 gallons left. So if you have about 1/4 tank left when your light comes on, it seems as if the second half goes quick, because essentially you're second half isn't really half...it's more like 1/4-1/3 of a tank....anyone get what I'm saying? It just seems like you go through the first half slower. If you're doing the same driving your mpg shouldn't change from first half to second half...at least noticeably.

By the way, I filled her up with 87 today and have recorded every piece of info pertinent to gas mileage and will be making a spreadsheet in Microsoft excel, then uploading it all when I'm done. I'll upload as I go when I get time, and the thread I make will have a link to it so you can see the progress. I'm going to be running this tank to E and then fill it with 87, then 91...hopefully it will put some things to rest about octane ratings and fuel mileage with some real data.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
Kris, reading his posts I don't think he knows how to calculate gas mileage correctly anyway. People that insist on using 87 in these cars cannot be convinced that they are doing something wrong. If the car starts, runs, drives for them then it must be ok.
wow woow. everyone reading this thread know how to calculate the mpg, it's simplier than 4 grader maths. we don't need professor level to do it.sorry. I can't help u if you convinced yourself smarter than 5 grade.
Like I said earlier in my post every car is not the same and you can put what fuel type is best to your car that's u know best. I have tried premium and it did not work on my car. please do not misunderstand,I am trying to bias you guys to do bad things on your car and I just answer to let people know who got confusion about it's ok or not putting 87 from my last 24 months experience of running on 87.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
?????

you say you cant feel the power, but you have lost it, you are also building up more deposits on your cars internals, Try running door to door with another 99, he will beat you. Also premium in the TL-P isnt as important as it is in the TL-S. But i can tell you that in my TL-P i would get about 40-60 less miles per tank with 87 than i would with 91. That to me is a waste of money.
Thank for ????? your reaction. I know your tl is one of the best on mpg. 33~34 mpg with 4 people(included me) on 87 is not a bad No. at all, especially 99 tl, I guess. when I did that I could not believe it myself & I wish I could get 36~37 with 91.
I have my car only 24 months now and it clocked 191000 but running still strong as the time I bought 2 years ago, so I can not compare to how when it was new and also how are others tl run. may be I will ask my neighbour for a test drive, he got the same 99 tl with much lower mileage.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:08 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken240sx
Technically it shouldn't matter, empty or full.....When filling up at the same gas station and same pump usually, it's consistent in the point where the pump stops putting in gas in the same car. So if you fill up your tank till the pump stops, use about a half a tank, then fill it up again and you look at your receipt to see the exact amount of fuel you just put in, then that's how much fuel you used since the last fill up. Look at the tripometer and you can get your mpg. Technically speaking you should be getting better gas mileage the lower your tank gets because of the reduced weight. So I don't see anything wrong with seeing what the fuel mileage is with the first half of the tank. Theres a couple reasons the second half goes by quicker. One is because an analog gauge isn't accurate at showing the exact amount of fuel you have in your tank. The other is the fact that when you're needle shows it's in the red on empty, you really have a couple gallons left, because manufacturers know that theres stupid people/broke people/procrastinators that aren't going to fill her up right away. Today I filled the TL up a little while after the gas light came on. I estimate I drove at least 10 miles after the light came on till I went to the gas station. So even using another 1/2 gallon of fuel, when I filled up, just under 14 gallons went in. Correct me if I'm wrong but that means almost 4 gallons left. So if you have about 1/4 tank left when your light comes on, it seems as if the second half goes quick, because essentially you're second half isn't really half...it's more like 1/4-1/3 of a tank....anyone get what I'm saying? It just seems like you go through the first half slower. If you're doing the same driving your mpg shouldn't change from first half to second half...at least noticeably.

By the way, I filled her up with 87 today and have recorded every piece of info pertinent to gas mileage and will be making a spreadsheet in Microsoft excel, then uploading it all when I'm done. I'll upload as I go when I get time, and the thread I make will have a link to it so you can see the progress. I'm going to be running this tank to E and then fill it with 87, then 91...hopefully it will put some things to rest about octane ratings and fuel mileage with some real data.
am doing that since more than a year.....(excel and all).....

and it doesnt matter when you fill up.....its how you fill up.....either everytime top off or everytime hang up when it stops......
Old 05-10-2008, 08:03 PM
hates the winter

87 at 3.97 a gallon to fill a 17 gallon tank = $67.49
93 at 4.19 a gallon to fill a 17 gallon tank = $71.23

$3.74 difference, over a year that is $194.48 (filling up once a week) So if you plan on keeping your carI'd shell out the extra $3.74 a fillup. Over time the MPG will decrease the more you use 87 due to engine wear.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Racer

Some of you guys are lucky still. Over here in Vancouver BC, It's $1.33 for REG fuel.
I'm pretty sure if my math is right, it's over 6 dollars a gallon...
Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 PM
My TL can do this, too!

Dude,

Economically, gas is like cigarettes. The price can just keep going up, and people will still buy it. So to me, the question could be phrased as: "What will the price of gas be when we finally run out of oil?"

PS: I am not an economist. This is just something I remember from an old college economics lecture.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:06 AM
hates the winter

Well, thats the problem. We keep buying it no matter what. The oil companies are making a lot of money off of it. What needs to happen is people need to avoid the top companies, and only purchase a few gallons here and there until there is an effect.

The problem is, not many are willing to do this, most won't, and who want's to use crappy gas? lol So it looks like we are going to eventually be paying $5 or more a gallon for gas within the next year. Gas prices are going up by the day. It doesn't matter what you drive, it's just too expensive. My car is costing me $58-$65 a week based on price an mileage.