What to Do-Put $ Into This Car or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to Do-Put $ Into This Car or Not?

Some of the members that have been around here awhile may remember that I totaled my WDP 00 TL and replaced it with a LGM 01 TL complete with a spoiler and ground effects kit with only 48k. I paid a ton of $ for the car because of the condition it was in, as well as the low mileage. As of now it has 71k. I am out of the tranny warranty by time, but I notice it's starting to slip once in awhile....cringe.

I called my dealer whom I used to work for (and bought the car from). I asked about the goodwills after the warranty is out. As I knew, it's a case by case basis. I bought the car from them, but had the t-belt and tranny drain and fill (done at 60k) at a local independent Honda shop--they were $300+ cheaper. I know Acura heavily relies on owners using the dealer for service as part of their goodwill decision. Either way, I may have to pay for some or all of a tranny.

I am going to take it in soon just to see what they'll do. I'm paying the car off as soon as I get my tax refund. My situation sucks because I don't want to spend potentially up to $3500 on a car that's worth about $5000, BUT I do NOT want to get into another car payment. Even if I sold the car with a bad tranny I wouldn't get alot for it. The car is way too nice to part out also. After having the t-belt done, the car needs nothing else other than some tires. It has a few cosmetic items (faded b pillars, top of the steering wheel is aging, etc.) that I'd eventually tend to if I keep it awhile.

From a financial point of view, spending $3k is cheaper and smarter than buying a $20k car; however, is this car going to start nickel and diming me enough to be worth it? My brother's CL had to have HID ballasts at $600.

I like the car, but I've owned a Gen 2 TL for about 6 years, so I kind of want something else. Just not sure what I should do. Any ideas? I have a 90 Taurus SHO that's my project car but not good enough or reliable enough to be a DD.

Last edited by JRA2000TL; 02-09-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

thats a tough one buddy. Thats the reason why I'm selling my car for the exact same reason, the tranny. Ok, so you spend the 3k to replace then how long is that going to last before that one goes bad? I say find a used tranny somewhere and pay a small shop to swap it and sell it. Save yourself half the amount. But if you truly love the car and hate another car payment then do what you have to do and fix it. good luck either way
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in the same situation a few months back. My tranny went out on me at 135,xxx and was debating on putting 3 g's into the tranny or looking for something else but get stuck with car payments. Ultimately decided I still like my car and I hate having car payments, so got the tranny with a 3 yr/30,000 warranty from Acura. I also didn't really see any cars that I really wanted either, unless it was a '07 TL-S but that's too much for me right now. I think if you're going to drive it for at least the next 3 yrs. fix it and save money for something nice next time you buy a car.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Racer

It is really up to you. From a financial stand point you probably don't want to put ANY aftermarket parts in the car as this reduces the resale value and potential time it will take you to find a buyer.

However, on the flip side of the coin, I believe that you should enjoy the car you have. If you don't then it really puts a damper on driving it PERIOD. I am not advocating that if you have a passion for drifting that you take the TL sideways through intersections. lol. All I am saying is that you can enjoy your car, lurk on the Black Market and find parts at reasonable prices. If all else fails you can always return you car to stock after you have modified it, but you may not be able to recover the costs of the aftermarket "investments" we will call them.

In regards to payments and trannys.

I am not financial analyst but lets just say your tranny went out and you drive about 15,000 miles yearly k? Instead of leasing/buying a new car (car payments) you get a replacement tranny for $3,000 and it comes with a 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty. Think about it, you are essentially paying $1,000 a year for the tranny over a period of 3 years.

$1000/12 months = 83.33 dollars a month! I don't think this is bad at all.

IF you go past 3 years and still own the car, you can do the math on that. Additionally, there may be new options in regards to cars to purchase. For example, a 3rd Gen TL-S I am sure will go down in price in 3 years used.

Another option when the tranny goes out is you find a 6-speed swap, it has been proven to be a reliable alternative to the failing tranny issue. This option is more labor oriented though as you will probably have to locate all the parts and find the time or someone to install it for you.

The ball is in your court. My vote is tastefully modify your car when the opportunities come about. Good luck to you regardless though, and I am sure you will be happy either or. You seem to like the 2nd Gen enough to purchase another one.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Racer

Thanks for the advice. I'm not into mods at all; I like the car stock just fine. I do like it better than the 3rd gen TLs. I had an 07 loaner when my 00 WDP was in the shop getting the FREE tranny. It was nice but not $400+ a month nice. The seats were harder and it's more of a sports car. I was going to trade for a Lexus ES as those cars have retained the luxury feel. I do like my car, but I've had a TL for 6 years. I think the deciding factor will be if Acura and/or the dealer will contribute to the replacement; if so, how much.

If they say $3500+, no help from Acura, no help from the dealer, and give me a go to hell attitude, I'll probably dump the car and do something else, being sure to let them know I will never buy another Acura or anything from that dealer again. If they act like they give a crap and contribute something (or I can work out some kind of deal with them), I will probably keep it. I don't want to downgrade to anything worse than what I have now though.

If I get a deal where I'm out of pocket under $2k, I'll definitely keep it.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
so you had payments on this car for 6 YEARS? that is a very long time to be paying for a used car.

Keep this car, you can pick up a used tranny for far less than $3.5k installed and drive it. I bet you its possible to get another tranny installed, used, parts and labor for about $1.5k. Not at the dealership though, at local independent shop.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nsnrider
so you had payments on this car for 6 YEARS? that is a very long time to be paying for a used car.

Keep this car, you can pick up a used tranny for far less than $3.5k installed and drive it. I bet you its possible to get another tranny installed, used, parts and labor for about $1.5k. Not at the dealership though, at local independent shop.

Good luck.
No I bought the car 2 years ago. I had a white 00 TL before this one. It was paid for when I totaled it. I took the insurance $ for it and paid off my jetski and some other things. I put a large amount down and financed this car. I had it scheduled to be paid off in 3 years but am now paying it off in 2 with my tax refund. No way I'd finance an 01 car in 08 for 6 years---ouch.

Taking it to an independent shop will be cheaper, but the transmission will just quit on it again.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Why not just use part of your tax refund and get the tranny done at a local shop. Unless you paying more than 8% on your car note, your going to have payments anyway and also possibly higher interest rate in this economy. I would go back to Acura and hammer the shit out of them [in a polite way]. Talk to the service tech. At the first sign hes going asshole on you, dont say a think but I want to speak with your supervisor. When you talk to his supervisor, start out with "look i'm just trying to resolve this situation with my transmission, I'm didn't come in to disrespect anyone and don't think its good customer service for your tech to tell me "XYZ". Then ask what if anything you can work out. They lose money if you keep coming in taking up their time, so they might cut the price on the tranny to their cost to make you go away. As a last resort maybe ask if you can purchase the hondacare or something and if they will cover it. I would never, ever, ever as an attorney suggest getting a warranty over the phone from one of these warranty companies and then going to an independent shop and making the claim there under the warranty...after all that would be wrong, and I advise against it