What car would I trade my TL for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by hzm82
umm I just test drove a 330xi.....Great smooth handling and everything, audio system was so much better then the bose system in the TL-S and the full service that cover stuff that normal wear and tear (better then our warrenty). BUT....with all the options I put in to match the TL-S.....it went to 45k.....just not willing to pay 10k more.....thats why most people think its overpriced and I think our TL are great on the highway.....why can't it come close to the BMW price for price?
Stereo- All BMW stereo save the M series and Harmon Kardon all suffers from poor Amp. The headunit is much better than the TL unit. Much more range and depth.

As far as TL is good on the highway, all i have to say this is not the case. The TL suffers from soft chassis and soft suspension setup. At higher speed the chassis is floaty and does not like to stay down. Another gripe i have is that there is so much road and tire noise coming from underneath of the car. At speed above 90, the cabin is so loud that normal conversation is not really possible (especially on concrete surfaces).

I have never liked the low engine response of TL and TL-S. Plus the sportshift response is painfully slow and not smooth. The Tiptronic on the other had are much smoother.

One other thing that I aslo really hates about TL and TL-S is the brakes. Not enough stopping power, does not dissipate heat well. Priot to my TL got totally last month, i have repaced brake twice. 1st went at 27k, 2nd set went at 13k. TL/TL-S has brakes of a compact car.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by 2ONPAR5

Yeah I know. My uncle bought one new in '69... it had so much torque that you could floor it while running 90 mph and smoke the tires to the point of losing control.

Talking about trucks, have you driven a Ford Lightening? Not too shabby either.
No, but I want to esp. with the new one coming...I wish they would just make one AWD though. I used to drive (and we still own) a '98 F-150...good truck 60k with no trouble at all. For the biz, we have used Power Stroke Diesels since they came out in 94.5, now its an 02 with the 7.3...sad to see it go, but I drove a 6.0 the other day and they are sweet.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hzm82....I am not up on the Mazda6 enough to offer an opinion on it, sorry. All I know is the 6 is the current generation 626 set up to be sportier. I did really like my '90 626 though....until some jackass in a pickup rear ended me at a stop light and totaled it. I'm sitting at a red light, and theres traffic coming and this guy says "Gee, I thought you were gonna go [right on red]"....of course he had a push bar over his front grill so his truck barely had a scratch....while the back of my car was pushed into the back seat. I had coins in the front tray in front on the shifter, I got hit so hard they ended up in the back seat!!! This guy must have had his head up his butt, first, he's doing like 45+ flying down this hill in a 30MPH zone....sees me at the light....looks left for traffic and didn't see that coming....then rams me and pushes me out into I-787! Even if I could go right on red HE still has to stop before he can go right on red. You can't just fly through a red light! ......wow, I got offf topic here. Sorry. It's just every time I think of that guy saying "Gee, I thought you were gonna go" it brings out the best in me
Old 03-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hzm82
You guys don't think they will change the design?
Probably somewhat, but how much you really think they'll change it. Even the TSX isn't radically different in design from the CL, TL, RSX....same beak like front.
Why play with a succesful formula?
(I think the tail end will look different, maybe more TSX like).
Old 03-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Advanced

I had a '98 TypeR before, and want to go back to another small sporty car when my little one (3 year old) gets older....I'm thinking S2000......!
Old 03-12-2003, 08:09 PM
10th Gear

The Mazda 6 is supposed to handle much better than the TL.
My Acura tends to understeer alot at the limits and its not a very nice feeling if you know what I mean. I hope my new sway bars and springs will improve it.
Of course most people will never take their cars to the performance/handling threshhold at all. It is still a great driving car for the money, despite better performers out there.

Although in my opinion Acura VTECHs are still the best engines around.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Drifting

i was thinking of getting a 530i before they change the 5 series line cause i dont like the direction bmw is going with their cars...but i just bought my 03 tls so it would be kinda stupid...and what i really want is a 540i...but i wouldnt have money left to mod it...
i think the 530 is a nice alternative to the tls...be it an expensive one...ithink its just a nice car, prob my favorite...(i prob one of the few people my age(16) who actually like 4 doors)
im surprised no one else suggested a 5 series =/
Old 03-13-2003, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by njtls

im surprised no one else suggested a 5 series =/

You really like Beamers better than Mercedes? I don't know anyone working in a Mercedes plant, but I know a million that work at BMW and their vendors in Spartanburg, SC and... DON"T BUY A BMW!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:35 AM
l33t

Since ill never be able to afford a new car in the near future, i plan to trade my '99 TL for a 2002 or 2003 ABP TL-S w/navi in a few years.

BUT if i had the money, i would go woth a 2000 or above BMW 540i with the sport package. auto, not the 6 speed.

Or an X5 4.4 sport.

Or hell a 4.6

M5?

Damn, if i only had money. I would just BUY BMW.

You really like Beamers better than Mercedes? I don't know anyone working in a Mercedes plant, but I know a million that work at BMW and their vendors in Spartanburg, SC and... DON"T BUY A BMW!
I like bimmer over merc just because BMW is a drivers car, the only car that has human sensory feedback all around. Merc's are sweet, but im not ready to throw continental touring tires on my car and go the speed limit. Im in it for the sport Gotta say though, Merc has the best construction. Every body panel and trim piece lines up perfectly, built with care.

Then again, Aston Martin builds their cars by hand. completely. i would pop for a nice Vanquish.

Wait im broke. Ok back to reality now.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by 2ONPAR5

dude...i love bmw's....more of a drivers car...but still in total luxury unlike normal sport cars...5 series is like the best of both worlds..def my favorite car ever...mercedes are great cars...no doubts on their quailty but no manual!...maybe when i get older and have multiple cars...i do have to give props to their twin turbo v12's...if only i hade the money
Old 03-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Talking

:licka: NSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSX

I always dream about that, I know it's "only" a two door 2 seater, but you only live ONCE

We all die heart Honda/Acura fans here right? You can always find some very good ones out there with a 30000-35000 budget... Yes, it might be old (you only can get 91-93 for this money) but If you be careful n look, there's some "CRAZY" people who leaves their NSX in air conditioned garage and only drive less than 100 miles a month...
I chose it because it's really most reliable Exotic out there... C/D, R/T and other mags can back me up on this. Old car still needs attention, but probably NSX will give you least trouble out there... at least better than any European.

but then I still think S2000 and 350Z won't be bad choice either.

everyone probably will frame me for being off topic: these cars not even the Same class comparison, but with myself driving a first gen V6 accord for years and my wife just bought a 03'TL-S...
I'm just dying to get a 2 seater sport car with real performance and go to track every month. again... You only live once.

aaarrrhhh, Evo8 and Sti Impreza... Boy Racer with absolute performance. I don't choose them even I loved them always, You won't learn a lot of car controls on these cars, but if eating other driver day and night, or you loved road kills and will brag about it with your friends and fellow forum members; These are your weapon, you can have some ugly "I smoked another Italian old fart in a 360......" all over the web...:yack:

with $30,000 in the pocket, you will just feel like a kid in the candy store with a 5 dollar bill, you can afford anything, but can't buy them all.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

g35
Old 03-18-2003, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

i would say research and drive the acura tl, audi a4, infiniti g35, mercedes c320, and the 04 maxima when it comes out next month. i didnt like the pics of the new maxima but seeing it this past weekend at the minneapolis auto show i was really impressed. but i think the only reason to really decide is to drive everything a few times yourself
Old 03-18-2003, 05:03 AM
Advanced

Sorry guys! I think Audi has won me over.
Supercharged 99.5 Audi 2.8 Quatro